ADVERTISEMENT

WBB: Gamecocks vs FSU Sunday 2pm

I thought Dawn should have started Harrigan the second half to keep the momentum we built when she was in the game. She didn't put her in the game until the game was about tied up late in the third quarter.

Jennings is just not that athletic and Kiki doesn't seem to like physical contact. Kiki could be an All American if she just played better defense to go along with her shot blocking. She can score at all 3 levels on the court.

Yes, good assessment. I don't know what move coach can make. Playing Cliney with Jennings and Kiki would improve the rebounding, at the cost of offensive production. She might have to take the gamble to prevent getting murdered on the glass.

If FSU's shots were actually falling and the way they rebounded the ball, the game would've been there's easily.

We squeaked into the sweet 16. We are able to say that we made it in 6th straight, happy that our Freshies got to experience that, hopefully the 1st of many.

But, I'm realistic as well, the way the girls are playing Baylor's going to swallow us whole. I just hope it won't be a 25 point whoop a^s like last time.

Last edited:
Not to oversimplify, but it begins with effort.
Herbert-Harrigan and Jennings with 7 blocks between them. Both were very effective scoring as well. Unfortunately, they are just average-to-below-average rebounders for their height.

We were out-rebounded by 17 today. I don't know how we turn that around against Baylor, the best rebounding team in the nation.

Our girls rebound standing straight up. I guess boxing out, bending over and using your butt to gain space is not taught these days.

Our girls rebound standing straight up. I guess boxing out, bending over and using your butt to gain space is not taught these days.
Every Dawn Staley team except the last two were great rebounding teams! It's not coaching! Some players are unwilling to do the hard work of boxing out. Aleigsha Welch and Alaina Coated were monster on the glass! A'ja became a great rebounder last year after she realized Coates was no longer there to fight those battles!

Every Dawn Staley team except the last two were great rebounding teams! It's not coaching! Some players are unwilling to do the hard work of boxing out. Aleigsha Welch and Alaina Coated were monster on the glass! A'ja became a great rebounder last year after she realized Coates was no longer there to fight those battles!

We've been fortunate to have some excellent rebounders over the last few seasons. Remember the transfer from UVA? Her playing time was limited because of Coates and Wilson. We could really use her on this team.

We've been fortunate to have some excellent rebounders over the last few seasons. Remember the transfer from UVA? Her playing time was limited because of Coates and Wilson. We could really use her on this team.

Sarah Imbovioh, who led the ACC in rebounding while at UVa. Saxton is the only one on this year's team who really gets in there and works, but she needs a few more inches to match up with some of the bigs.

You're referring to Sarah Imovbioh! I agree, she was terrific! She battled for every rebound and boxed out like she meant it. @5'11" Tiffany Mitchell could out rebound anyone on this squad except Saxton!

Reactions: DarkCock
Lele is a solid rebounder when she's in the game. Unfortunately, she's a foul-a-minute/turnover-a-minute player as well.

Your comments on Lele are completely true. I really like Saxton. I expect a lot more playing time for her next year. But, she needs to be coached on how to decrease her fouls - Lele to. And they need to develop Wesolek. From the little I've seen plus her high school games online, she's not scared of contact and doing the dirty work.

Last edited:
Not getting Anriel Howard really was a big disappointment. She would have made a world of difference for us. Kiki is a 3 playing 4 and Jennings and Saxton are 4s trying to play as a 5. Howard is a 4 but she rebounds so well it doesn't matter.

Not getting Anriel Howard really was a big disappointment. She would have made a world of difference for us. Kiki is a 3 playing 4 and Jennings and Saxton are 4s trying to play as a 5. Howard is a 4 but she rebounds so well it doesn't matter.
Very true. She is a beast at rebounding. One that we missed on.

Reactions: GeoCocky

Yeah, man I damn near cried when she committed to Miss St. I guess she looked at the big picture, and saw that she had a better chance at a natty with them. But, I still prefer that she stayed in the SEC than go UConn.

Yeah, man I damn near cried when she committed to Miss St. I guess she looked at the big picture, and saw that she had a better chance at a natty with them. But, I still prefer that she stayed in the SEC than go UConn.

A "natty"?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT