ADVERTISEMENT

WBB GAMETHREAD: # 2 Stanford vs # 1 Gamecocks

sgacock

Jun 4, 2000
Looks like Destanni Henderson is cleared to play tonight. How many minutes and how rusty are the questions.

Hope she isn't too amped up. She needs to show steady leadership and stay in control. Push it when we have the numbers, but not feel the need to do too much. I would think 22-24 minutes would be about right.

Hope she isn't too amped up. She needs to show steady leadership and stay in control. Push it when we have the numbers, but not feel the need to do too much. I would think 22-24 minutes would be about right.
Any word on Brea??

Have to limit the turnovers & capitalize on fast break opportunities. Shoot a decent percentage from the free throw line & stay out of foul trouble. Definitely need to stay aggressive on defensive though but limit their back door cuts to the basket.

Reactions: winloseortie

Who do we have to worry about
In April, Hailey Jones scored 24 against us. Lexie Hull had 18 points and 13 rebounds.

Cameron Brink had most of their 17 blocked shots. She generally doesn't score much against HQ posts like Boston. but she is a presence defnsively. She is fa

They are good . They only lost one player from their championship team (their point guard). They are deep. They played ten players against us last year

They have lost two games while they adjust to the loss of their point guard to graduation.

Haley Jones

She's more valuable to Stanford than Boston is to our team. Not saying she's better, but the drop off in play is considerable when she's not in the game. She played 39 minutes against Tennessee. (As did Hannah Jump, who's a shooter).

When UT made their 17-0 run to start the 3rd quarter, the Vols pressured Stanford hard defensively and forced turnovers. Stanford started the game and 2nd half without a point guard. Once Anna Wilson entered, the Cardinal settled down. If Destanni is going to play limited minutes, I could see Dawn using her to match Wilson's minutes.

In April, Hailey Jones scored 24 against us. Lexie Hull had 18 points and 13 rebounds.

Cameron Brink had most of their 17 blocked shots. She generally doesn't score much against HQ posts like Boston. but she is a presence defnsively. She is fa

They are good . They only lost one player from their championship team (their point guard). They are deep. They played ten players against us last year

They have lost two games while they adjust to the loss of their point guard to graduation.
They are deep, especially in the post, but I think our depth is the difference this season.

Last year, Victaria Saxton scored 0 points on 1 field goal attempt and 0 free throw attempts wile collecting 1 rebound in 30 minutes of play. She was a ghost. That won't happen tonight. Either she'll make more of an impact or someone else will be on the floor.

Reactions: CockySC01
Is it our mission to play every team in the top 10 this year?
Agreed.

I know to be the best, you have to beat the best, but this is getting woodiculous.

wooo.jpg

Reactions: Bftboy
Is it our mission to play every team in the top 10 this year? I mean I don't mind the challenge every now and then, but these games against top competition will take a toll eventually. I don't see any other team playing a schedule even remotely close to ours.
Maybe but it fully prepares us for the SEC which is by far best in country. Also will be tested in full for NCAA tournament. if you schedule cupcakes, you end up not prepared when it counts. The good news is we have won by an average of 11 pts a game against the Top 15 teams we have played (5 of them). Having Henderson back helps immensely tonight. If Zia Cooke can not have a gmae like she did against Duke, it will be a good game and hopefully our favor. Hoping Cooke has opposite game. Was 3-15 last time out so maybe she will be 12-15 tonight

The tough OOC schedule is about playing teams who differ in style from SEC teams. Right now, Charlie Creme has 10 teams in from the SEC, so the conference is very good. At same time, they all pretty much rely on superior defense. Only a handful of teams in the conference play an offense comparable to Maryland, Duke and Stanford. But in the tournament, we'll inevitably play teams like those 3 at some point.

Maybe but it fully prepares us for the SEC which is by far best in country. Also will be tested in full for NCAA tournament. if you schedule cupcakes, you end up not prepared when it counts. The good news is we have won by an average of 11 pts a game against the Top 15 teams we have played (5 of them). Having Henderson back helps immensely tonight. If Zia Cooke can not have a gmae like she did against Duke, it will be a good game and hopefully our favor. Hoping Cooke has opposite game. Was 3-15 last time out so maybe she will be 12-15 tonight
I'm not saying we should schedule all cupcakes, but goodness gracious our out of conference schedule is absurd. Plus we still play UConn again in the middle of our conference schedule.

Reactions: king ward
Agreed.

I know to be the best, you have to beat the best, but this is getting woodiculous.

wooo.jpg
To be the woMAN, you have to beat the woMAN. But we are already top dog, so we could get away with playing a few tough out of conference games, and not killing ourselves with top 10 team after top 10 team. WOOOOOOOOOOOO

In my humble opinion these are the two best teams in the nation. Should be a Barn Burner! Two awesome coaches & 15,000 Gamer Cocks Fans being LOUD & PROUD!! Wish I could be there! GO GAMECOCKS!💪💪😎

With the kind of team Dawn has, it will only help to really challenge them with the schedule. What would it really matter if they tripped up and lost a few of these games? They might drop from a 1 seed to a 2 or 3? In terms of team goals, that wouldn’t change anything. They are still playing Title or Bust. Go ahead and put the team in as many high-pressure situations as possible, and they will be that much more prepared for the end game.

Reactions: taiwancock

In no particular order
Hannah Jump- lethal 3 point shooter with slightest bit of space

Lexie Hull- scrappy player that will put it all on the line defensively and decent on the offensive end

Lacie Hull- Similar to her sister but generally less gifted offensively as her sister

Cameron Brink- A 6'6 lean monster but dominant post player that can put up big numbers in rebounds, points and blocks

Ashten Prechtel- reminds me of a less dominant and less consistent Boston. She can play well all around at times and can shoot the 3 but is often overshadowed by Brink

Haley Jones- A big guard that can play the point and take over a game at moments notice. She's the biggest key to the team's success. She's inconsistent at times but she dangerous and can play 1-4 with relative ease.

There's a few other players that could effect the game as well but these are the ones I'm looking out fo currently. This team is pretty talented and deep and I wouldn't take them lightly.

In no particular order
Hannah Jump- lethal 3 point shooter with slightest bit of space

Lexie Hull- scrappy player that will put it all on the line defensively and decent on the offensive end

Lacie Hull- Similar to her sister but generally less gifted offensively as her sister

Cameron Brink- A 6'6 lean monster but dominant post player that can put up big numbers in rebounds, points and blocks

Ashten Prechtel- reminds me of a less dominant and less consistent Boston. She can play well all around at times and can shoot the 3 but is often overshadowed by Brink

Haley Jones- A big guard that can play the point and take over a game at moments notice. She's the biggest key to the team's success. She's inconsistent at times but she dangerous and can play 1-4 with relative ease.

There's a few other players that could effect the game as well but these are the ones I'm looking out fo currently. This team is pretty talented and deep and I wouldn't take them lightly.
Reads as if they are very imposing. How have they lost two games?

Championship complacency and a coach who perhaps doesn't care as much about undefeated season. She played 12 players in both losses.. She seems to believe more in developing experienced depth for the championship run than a super impressive record.

Consistency is the biggest factor, they have pieces but lack the consistency. That plus they lack a true PG. Jones is holding her own but it's not the same. They are still a tough opponent but they can arguably be just as good as us if everything aligns well for them, hopefully we won't allow them to get that point.

They lost to the two most athletic teams on their schedule, Texas and South Florida. That is the one area they are lacking in.
That and they don't do particularly well when being pressed on the offensive end. Since we now have Lele back plus Amihere and Henderson, it will be interesting to see how Dawn decides to go down that road.

Is it our mission to play every team in the top 10 this year? I mean I don't mind the challenge every now and then, but these games against top competition will take a toll eventually. I don't see any other team playing a schedule even remotely close to ours.

I love it that coach is willing to take on all the top powers. Great way for our athletes to test themselves and learn.

Reactions: DarkCock
The Christmas break is coming at a good time. And I applaud taking on a tough OOC schedule, but has anyone ever taken on one THIS tough?
I haven't checked, but I guarantee most of these schools (NCST, Stanford, UConn twice, Maryland, Oregon, Duke) probably play just us as their tough out of conference game, while we play all of them. Has to be the toughest out of conference schedule of all time.

I think Henderson being out has been putting extra pressure on Zia. We need Henny back to be a complete team. She's the engine that takes this team to it's highest level. If she plays, I think Zia might have another break out game like she did the last time we played Stanford.

Well first off Brink is not 6’6” but 6’4” she is very good but not dominant and besides being foul prone is one of the worst free throw shooters in the country. As is the team, 354 in ft%

They turn the ball over as much and sometimes more than us. They do not have a true point guard. Very susceptible to on ball pressure.

Beating Stanford

• Will be much easier if Henny plays. The offense will function much smoother.
No slow ball movement, better transition offense, Henny is shooting 50% from 3, her threat will open up Cooke for better 3s and benefit both in their slashes to the hoop.

•Both games Stanford lost they only scored in the 50s. They can be defended. USF and Texas both played man to man and forced tough shots and turnovers.
USF pounded them on the boards but let Brink score 23. UT got beat badly on the boards but held Brink to 5 points. They did that by denying her the ball.
Stanford is like us in that they have 7 or 8 players that can beat you on any night.
We have the size and 10 fouls to neutralize Brink.
With Beal, Grissett, Amihere, Hall, and Rivers we have the length to defend their size. We can rotate enough of them to shut down Lexi Hull and Jones.
Who worries me is Belibi and Prechtel. Prechtel cannot be allowed the 3. I imagine we see a lot of pick and roll/pop with her and Jones when she is in the game. Belibi did not play against UT but she is a physical beast. She reminds me of
Aleighsa Welch.
Stanford does not have a true PG. They mainly use Jones and at times Wilson. They have more TOs than assists. I don’t think either one can stand up for 40 minutes.

• On offense, they do not have anyone who can stop Boston. Brink is not strong enough and is foul prone. Prechtel has height and size, but is a step slow. Belibi is physical enough but only6’1”
Will Stanford go man or zone or both?
We make 5 or more 3s and this game is over.

Well first off Brink is not 6’6” but 6’4” she is very good but not dominant and besides being foul prone is one of the worst free throw shooters in the country. As is the team, 354 in ft%

They turn the ball over as much and sometimes more than us. They do not have a true point guard. Very susceptible to on ball pressure.
Yeah I mistaken her height with Tamari Key but I honestly didn't see much difference in height in the little time they were on court together. I still stick by everything else I said. When Haley Jones hadn't shown up for some games, it had been Brink that has generally took over when she plays extended minutes. She's not as efficient as Boston but she can impose on others despite her thin frame.

Reactions: winloseortie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT