ADVERTISEMENT

WBB Schedule for 21-2

winloseortie

Feb 21, 2007
columbia
Conference schedule is probably the toughest in the league.

We are X2 vs UK, Ole Miss, and A&M all projected tourney teams.

UT, UGA, Mizzou, Ark, and Miss St. are projected as tourney teams. LSU is projected as next 4 out, but who knows?

That leaves only Vandy, UF, Aub, and Bama as conference chumps

OOC as best I know is

Taters since we didn’t play, not sure H or A
UConn Home
NCSU Away
Big 12 challenge, should be a home game. my guess is Baylor, UT, West Virginia, Iowa St., or Okla St all projected tourney teams

3 games in Battle for Atlantis. I could not find a site that listed brackets but possible opponents are: Oregon, South Florida, Oklahoma(all projected tourney teams) Buffalo, Syracuse, and Minnesota.

That leaves 7 OOC games. We possibly may have obligations with Duke(A), S. Dakota(H) and Temple(H)

Anyone have info to add? Or suspects for who we might play

The announcement lists UCONN as a participant too. Have they declined? Is it possible we could play them twice next year, not counting the tournament?

We had a game with Duke "postponed" in Durham due to weather in NC for the 2018-19 season, that was never made up. We had a series of three back-to-back home & Away series with Duke for 14-15 &15-16, 16-17 & 17-18, and 18-19 & 19-20. We played the 19-20 game in CLA, but the "postponed" game in Durham was never re-scheduled.

Of course, they've now replaced the previous coaching regime with a new one, so I don't know how binding those agreements are, but I don't see why we couldn't continue to play them.

We DID have games scheduled with Oregon and Maryland last season. The Oregon game - to have been played to open both team's seasons in 2020-21 - was a one-off from my understanding. That got cancelled due to covid-19.

The Maryland game was the final game of a H & A between the two programs, where the 1st game was played in MD during the 19-20 season that USC won 63-54. I would think that Coach Staley and USC would want to make MD pay up for our end of the deal, and get a game back in CLA in front of our fans. It was also on the back of a previous H & A both programs scheduled for 17-18 & 18-19 seasons, and both coaching staffs are still in place, so it seems like we have a good relationship with them.

The Battle 4 Atlantis tournament will feature 8 teams: USC, CT, Oregon, South Florida, Syracuse, Buffalo, Minnesota, and Oklahoma. Of course all options are on the table as to who plays who, but typically teams that already have agreements to play each other during the regular season generally do NOT play each other in these tournaments, unless there's no other way (like both meet in the championship game). So USC and CT would be in separate brackets' I'd expect.

Now Oregon is the question mark: they have played CT more often during the regular season in recent years, while we've only played them twice in program history (won both), the most recent was during the 02-03 season. It wouldn't surprise me if they were in our bracket: it would satisfy the cancelled game, to a degree. Syracuse was an old Big East foe of CT's, while USF was an old AAC foe. Who knows....

How about Maryland, Ohio State and Dayton?

I've touched on MD - all teams are on the table of course, but we've completed H & A agreements with both Ohio State (15-16 & 16-17) and Dayton (18-19 & 19-20). So there's nothing still outstanding as not yet completed, with those agreements. Prior to those series, we hadn't played either since 80-81 (OSU), or not at all (Dayton).

Coach Staley has never been afraid to schedule highly ranked opponents, during their peak years. The Ohio State series was scheduled during the Kelsey Mitchell years when they were top 10 ranked for both games. We scheduled a H & A with UCLA right after 2014, when we had the overall #2 class (with A'ja Wilson), and UCLA had the overall #1 class. And of course the CT games.

We haven't been able to schedule with Louisville, who was an old Metro Conference foe - we played them once under Staley, in an early-season tourny in 16-17. They are not that far away. We haven't EVER played Georgia Tech during the regular season, having just played them for the 1st time in this past season's NCAAT.

Also North Carolina, or even Notre Dame. They are both rebuilding programs, but are big names in WBB. But other than MD or Duke, we don't have many outstanding teams we've only played once. Last season, we played in the Crossover Classic which was a tournament, and the SEC/Big12 Challenge.

Other than that, the only OOC games we played was College of Charleston, NC St., Temple, and CT. We'll play CT in CLA - that's the final "H" of that A & H series yet to play. We just finished the 2nd H & A of back-to-back agreements with Temple this past season, but it wouldn't surprise me if Dawn schedules another one starting for next season. And we MUST schedule another game with NC ST. at their place, after they took us down in CLA. I understand they'll have most of their players back: Crutchfield and Jones are returning for the extra covid year.....

Last edited:
Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
The announcement lists UCONN as a participant too. Have they declined? Is it possible we could play them twice next year, not counting the tournament?
There are two separate brackets in that tourney, so we won't play each other.

It is two four team pods that play round robin. UConn is in the other pod by contract. This is to protect the regular season matchup

Reactions: DarkCock
I've touched on MD - all teams are on the table of course, but we've completed H & A agreements with both Ohio State (15-16 & 16-17) and Dayton (18-19 & 19-20). So there's nothing still outstanding as not yet completed, with those agreements. Prior to those series, we hadn't played either since 80-81 (OSU), or not at all (Dayton).

Coach Staley has never been afraid to schedule highly ranked opponents, during their peak years. The Ohio State series was scheduled during the Kelsey Mitchell years when they were top 10 ranked for both games. We scheduled a H & A with UCLA right after 2014, when we had the overall #2 class (with A'ja Wilson), and UCLA had the overall #1 class. And of course the CT games.

We haven't been able to schedule with Louisville, who was an old Metro Conference foe - we played them once under Staley, in an early-season tourny in 16-17. They are not that far away. We haven't EVER played Georgia Tech during the regular season, having just played them for the 1st time in this past season's NCAAT.

Also North Carolina, or even Notre Dame. They are both rebuilding programs, but are big names in WBB. But other than MD or Duke, we don't have many outstanding teams we've only played once. Last season, we played in the Crossover Classic which was a tournament, and the SEC/Big12 Challenge.

Other than that, the only OOC games we played was College of Charleston, NC St., Temple, and CT. We'll play CT in CLA - that's the final "H" of that A & H series yet to play. We just finished the 2nd H & A of back-to-back agreements with Temple this past season, but it wouldn't surprise me if Dawn schedules another one starting for next season. And we MUST schedule another game with NC ST. at their place, after they took us down in CLA. I understand they'll have most of their players back: Crutchfield and Jones are returning for the extra covid year.....
Would love to play UNC & Tech home and home. ND refuses to schedule us home and home. They want 2/1 with the third game at a neutral site such as Chicago so that it is basically a home game. I would not be surprised to see a road game scheduled near Zia’s and Brea’s home towns

My sense is that Oregon will be in our bracket in the Atlantis tourney. We were scheduled to open the season last year and that cancelled and I don’t believe we have ever played.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT