ADVERTISEMENT

WBB...that is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to the degree and effort put forth by the Democratic Party this election, and you know it; which also begs the question “why.” Your statement is like saying computers were common in the eighties.
Why? .....because we believe the coronavirus is real. One day less of gathering and spreading this virus around. We are not mad that others decided to wait in lines on Election Day. That is your right. However, this country makes it way more difficult to vote than it needs to be. We have a National holiday to mark the new year, but make many work on Election Day. Doesn’t make sense. However, Trump has admitted that Republicans will never win another National election if we allow too many people vote. Thus, all the hand wringing about voter fraud. Republicans have never had to go out and fight for votes outside of its’ often-times rural, mostly white base. So, instead of listening and hopefully building a broader coalition, they try to vilify and nullify the vote outside of their base.

Why are some of you so caught up in the concept of standing for a song? How on earth is sitting as a form of protest spitting in the face of this country? Some of y'all have woven patriotism too far into your personalities and it's dangerous and kind of embarassing. How does their decision to sit have an effect on any of us? Will the world end if they never stand for it again? Will basketball be canceled? No. Life will move on. Bunch of grown adults crying over a song.

A song?

You sound like a young person that has gone through the public school system and has never been taught a lick of history.

If Dawn and her players want to gather before or after a game and protest, have at it. But at game time, players on scholarship and a coach making a million bucks a year need to stand up during the national anthem.

A song?

You sound like a young person that has gone through the public school system and has never been taught a lick of history.

If Dawn and her players want to gather before or after a game and protest, have at it. But at game time, players on scholarship and a coach making a million bucks a year need to stand up during the national anthem.
DING DING DING WINNER WINNER

Reactions: bucketdad
A song?

I read no more after he called the National Anthem a song. Sad to see it dismissed in that way.

Why? .....because we believe the coronavirus is real. One day less of gathering and spreading this virus around. We are not mad that others decided to wait in lines on Election Day. That is your right. However, this country makes it way more difficult to vote than it needs to be. We have a National holiday to mark the new year, but make many work on Election Day. Doesn’t make sense. However, Trump has admitted that Republicans will never win another National election if we allow too many people vote. Thus, all the hand wringing about voter fraud. Republicans have never had to go out and fight for votes outside of its’ often-times rural, mostly white base. So, instead of listening and hopefully building a broader coalition, they try to vilify and nullify the vote outside of their base.
Horsecrap, and you know it. Discrediting that nonsense point by point would be wasted effort so I won’t bother. One thing we agree on; if the direction the country is headed is unchecked, the president is correct.

We are not mad that others decided to wait in lines on Election Day. That is your right. However, this country makes it way more difficult to vote than it needs to be. We have a National holiday to mark the new year, but make many work on Election Day. Doesn’t make sense. However, Trump has admitted that Republicans will never win another National election if we CONTINUE TO allow too many ILLEGAL people TO vote MANY TIMES. Thus, all the hand wringing about voter fraud. Republicans have never had to go out and fight for votes outside of its’ often-times rural, mostly white base. So, instead of listening and hopefully building a broader coalition, they try to vilify and nullify the vote outside of their base.
[/QUOTE]
There i Fixed it for you..

Last edited:
A song?

I'm well aware of the history of this country. And it is just a song that you people put way too much stock into. Why do I need to hold specific words with such reverence? And why do these players have to stand for it? Because y'all told them to? Because it hurts your feelings? I've yet to see a legitimate reason as to why these women shouldn't protest during the anthem besides that it's going to upset you/Uncle Sam. What overarching power decided that the only way to be a good American is to worship the flag or the anthem? And why do people's decisions not to make y'all so angry? Do you not see how that's a problem?

A song?

Way to trash the public school system. If we're talking history, you should look at how the Star Spangled Banner itself, it celebrates the murder of slaves. There's a reason why they only play the one verse.
The Declaration of Independence states that all men are created equal and that creed has never met it's full potential yet, especially when it comes to the judicial system. Asking for your country to live up to it's promise, doesn't mean they hate America, the military or even those of you who disagree. Many of you here have the luxury of continuing to ignore this problem because it doesn't effect you, meanwhile these players, Dawn and countless other minorities have had lived it, in how they and those in their communities seemed to be systematically treated different by those in power.

I get locking if it were just the National Anthem. Why this is relevant is because is OUR program. Yes, the discussion is about Gamecocks athletics. It blows my mind that they don’t see this. The real issue is one view is allowed to be expressed. The other is being suppressed.

Very profound post. Thanks.

I guess it's ironic that fans of South Carolina are so adamantly opposed to insults to the flag.

Fort%20Sumter%20Bombardment.jpg

Reactions: cockofdawn
I'm well aware of the history of this country. And it is just a song that you people put way too much stock into........And why do people's decisions not to make y'all so angry? Do you not see how that's a problem?
You may be “aware” of it, but you’re obviously too young and naive to understand or appreciate much of it. “Just a song that WE people put too much stock into” lol. That’s like saying your mother is “just a female that you respect for some reason.”

I think it’s you that doesn’t see how that’s a problem. I don’t want the leadership of the country dictated by isolated pockets of heavy population, and I don’t want the direction and character of the country dictated by young people who haven’t lived long enough to have their moment of clarity yet. And until we adults die off, that’s the way it will be. Then you can be the third world country you so desperately think you want to be, unless there is a much needed awakening.

Reactions: Cybercock
Way to trash the public school system. If we're talking history, you should look at how the Star Spangled Banner itself, it celebrates the murder of slaves. There's a reason why they only play the one verse.
The Declaration of Independence states that all men are created equal and that creed has never met it's full potential yet, especially when it comes to the judicial system. Asking for your country to live up to it's promise, doesn't mean they hate America, the military or even those of you who disagree. Many of you here have the luxury of continuing to ignore this problem because it doesn't effect you, meanwhile these players, Dawn and countless other minorities have had lived it, in how they and those in their communities seemed to be systematically treated different by those in power.
Their communities have been governed by Dems for 40 years. Dawn got an athletic scholarship to Virginia where everything was taken care of, went on to play for Team USA, then played for the WNBA and then onto a big paying coaching dig. That's what I call a tough life. These girls have a paid for full scholarship and some will go onto to play pro ball. Sounds like another tough life. Have they really been mistreated by anyone here? Most treat them has their heros. Saying your country needs to be racially identified instead of people identified is not a good thing.

Their communities have been governed by Dems for 40 years. Dawn got an athletic scholarship to Virginia where everything was taken care of, went on to play for Team USA, then played for the WNBA and then onto a big paying coaching dig. That's what I call a tough life. These girls have a paid for full scholarship and some will go onto to play pro ball. Sounds like another tough life. Have they really been mistreated by anyone here? Most treat them has their heros. Saying your country needs to be racially identified instead of people identified is not a good thing.
See, therein lies the problem and I am pretty certain that you don't see it through your writing. Dawn has been treated well. The players have been treated well. However, have their siblings and relatives that happened to not have the advantage of playing a sport been treated the same? They are not and this unfair treatment spans from the criminal justice system through corporate America. Heck, I started my own business because I was tired of being the honorary black person for a lot of people. Best decision of my life. With that said, should Dawn and the players just let it go because they are treated special? Some can. Those of good conscience cannot. That's the dynamic that causes people that you would think are treated well to protest anyway.

Coming from a military background/family who has served, we believe in what the flag stands for which is 'FREEDOM.' The freedom to stand/sit/kneel, etc... While I may not always agree with people's actions, I do respect their right to do it as long as it does not infringe on the safety/wellbeing/rights of other people.

Now I have been going to games for decades, and have observed all kinds of actions from our fans including puking/scarfing down food, talking, binge drinking liquor/beer, running to take piss breaks, making out, playing on cell phones, watching scores of other games, etc...that have all occurred during the national anthem/prayer, and there has never been so much as an eyebrow raised.

Where was this patriotism when they removed the pledge of allegiance from the schools? What about God Bless America? My Country 'Tis of Thee? Where were you patriots when our elected officials sold out the American people to foreign interest? These do a lot more to hurt America than someone peacefully exercising their rights.

As a matter of fact many of you may want to read up on history, as protesting is one of the most American things one can do. Especially when it is to bring light and help improve our country whether you believe everything is perfect the way it is or not. As mentioned above, what's even more ironic is getting mad when a group of people attempting to bring light to social issues refuse to stand for a song that references slaves running in fear or facing the grave! The U.S. flag code lists the rules for respecting the American flag, and kneeling or standing during the national anthem isn't mentioned.

I hope you guys show as much disdain the next time you see one of these actions which actually disrespects our flag vs someone peacefully protesting....

The flag should never be displayed with the union (the starred blue union in the canton) down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

upsidedown.jpg

The flag should not be used as "wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery", or for covering a speaker's desk, draping a platform, or for any decoration in general (exception for coffins).

092a0aaedf9b8007c88c3a682ad2fefe.jpg

The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed, or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard.
3716-patriotic-party-supplies-footer.jpg

When a flag is so tattered that it no longer fits to serve as a symbol of the United States, it should be destroyed in a dignified manner.

23480513-standard.jpg

The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
***WE ACTUALLY DO THIS ONE A LOT***

EP-301239929.jpg

Last edited:
See, therein lies the problem and I am pretty certain that you don't see it through your writing. Dawn has been treated well. The players have been treated well. However, have their siblings and relatives that happened to not have the advantage of playing a sport been treated the same? They are not and this unfair treatment spans from the criminal justice system through corporate America. Heck, I started my own business because I was tired of being the honorary black person for a lot of people. Best decision of my life. With that said, should Dawn and the players just let it go because they are treated special? Some can. Those of good conscience cannot. That's the dynamic that causes people that you would think are treated well to protest anyway.
Nossir, not so. I spent 35 years in corporate America: corporate America BEGS for qualified, effective black leadership. It takes chances and cuts corners for black candidates and applicants that are not afforded their white or Hispanic counterparts. Speaking of which, if you want to talk unfair treatment in corporate America, everything pales compared to Hispanics.

Be that as it may, articulate please the mindset that thinks intentionally offending a large segment of the population will act as a catalyst to yield your desired outcome or change.

Coming from a military background/family who has served, we believe in what the flag stands for which is 'FREEDOM.' The freedom to stand/sit/kneel, etc... While I may not always agree with people's actions, I do respect their right to do it as long as it does not infringe on the safety/wellbeing/rights of other people.

Now I have been going to games for decades, and have observed all kinds of actions from our fans including puking/scarfing down food, talking, binge drinking liquor/beer, running to take piss breaks, making out, playing on cell phones, watching scores of other games, etc...that have all occurred during the national anthem/prayer, and there has never been so much as an eyebrow raised.

Where was this patriotism when they removed the pledge of allegiance from the schools? What about God Bless America? My Country 'Tis of Thee? Where were you patriots when our elected officials sold out the American people to foreign interest? These do a lot more to hurt America than someone peacefully exercising their rights.

As a matter of fact many of you may want to read up on history, as protesting is one of the most American things one can do. Especially when it is to bring light and help improve our country whether you believe everything is perfect the way it is or not. As mentioned above, what's even more ironic is getting mad when a group of people attempting to bring light to social issues refuse to stand for a song that references slaves running in fear or facing the grave! The U.S. flag code lists the rules for respecting the American flag, and kneeling or standing during the national anthem isn't mentioned.

I hope you guys show as much disdain the next time you see one of these actions which actually disrespects our flag vs someone peacefully protesting....

The flag should never be displayed with the union (the starred blue union in the canton) down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

upsidedown.jpg

The flag should not be used as "wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery", or for covering a speaker's desk, draping a platform, or for any decoration in general (exception for coffins).

The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed, or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard.

When a flag is so tattered that it no longer fits to serve as a symbol of the United States, it should be destroyed in a dignified manner.

23480513-standard.jpg

The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.

EP-301239929.jpg
Nice try. Cherry picking and exaggerating do not change or override refusal to observe basic tenets of accepted and customary decorum, especially when done intentionally on a public stage.

Last edited:
Nossir, not so. I spent 35 years in corporate America: corporate America BEGS for qualified, effective black leadership. It takes chances and cuts corners for black candidates and applicants that are not afforded their white or Hispanic counterparts. Speaking of which, if you want to talk unfair treatment in corporate America, everything pales compared to Hispanics.

Be that as it may, articulate please the mindset that thinks intentionally offending a large segment of the population will act as a catalyst to yield your desired outcome or change.
How are you going to tell me about my own experience. Corporate America may take chances and cut corners for some Black candidates. However, they also try to use the good ones to cover their racism. I know in my experience, I got tired of being carried around as the "look at me, I'm not racist guy". Further, there are barriers when it comes promotion even when you achieve a certain level of success. With regard to the protest, a protest should never worry about those that oppose them being spurred to change. You try to persuade those that are persuadable. Usually, the people that are complaining all the time are not persuadable so you don't worry about them. Further, the protests are not about offending you or any large segment of society. If you are offended, that is on you. You know what Black people get told all the time, "Get over it". If a group decides to make a protest of some kind, they usually know what the blowback is going to be. If they can take it, that is on them. So, if you are offended, you can stay home, write a letter in protest to officials, whatever you decide to do within legal constraints of course. If the group protesting decides they can do without your support, then what else is there to do.

I guess what I wrote went over your head. The communities I was referring to was where they have lived and those they grew up with. Dawn Staley grew up in North Philly, her family moved from South Carolina out of fear for their well being in the South. This isn't about basketball and the success these ladies have on the court. It about how they are perceived and those in their families and friends that are treated once they step foot off a court. As much as we claim to have progress, much of this country is still very segregated from our neighborhoods, school districts and even church services. The disparity when it comes to minorities and the judicial system, law enforcement or even empathy seems to be still a prevalent issue. Sterling Brown, Henry Louis Gates, Tim Scott and Marcus Lattimore are all examples of successful people who you wouldn't consider having a "Tough" life but have been the subject of racial profiling. Then you have the non-famous people that have this happen to them on a daily basis but with no press coverage. When you see people that look like you get killed, harassed and bullied by those in power, with no justice and now peacefully protesting these injustices is seen as a political act by some,instead of a human rights act only proves to me how much farther we need to go as a nation. I always been of the opinion, that if you don't like the protest, try working together to fix the root cause of it.

upsidedown.jpg

23480513-standard.jpg

***WE ACTUALLY DO THIS ONE A LOT***

EP-301239929.jpg
Just to throw this out there, your experience at sporting events are vastly different than mine. Certain times of the year I attend three high school games a week plus tournaments. In the more than a decade I have attended games, I have never witnessed what you have described. Hate hearing that though.
What I see prior to games are parents usually rushing to the gate if they arent seated already. When the Anthem is played, everyone rises, faces the flag, hats come off, hands over hearts (usually) and any parent in the parking lot or walking toward the field stop what they are doing until the Anthem is over and continue towards the field afterwards. That has been consistent both home and away with both visitors and the home crowd. It's a beautiful thing. Guess I'm lucky to have seen it that way.

Last edited:
I guess what I wrote went over your head. The communities I was referring to was where they have lived and those they grew up with. Dawn Staley grew up in North Philly, her family moved from South Carolina out of fear for their well being in the South. This isn't about basketball and the success these ladies have on the court. It about how they are perceived and those in their families and friends that are treated once they step foot off a court. As much as we claim to have progress, much of this country is still very segregated from our neighborhoods, school districts and even church services. The disparity when it comes to minorities and the judicial system, law enforcement or even empathy seems to be still a prevalent issue. Sterling Brown, Henry Louis Gates, Tim Scott and Marcus Lattimore are all examples of successful people who you wouldn't consider having a "Tough" life but have been the subject of racial profiling. Then you have the non-famous people that have this happen to them on a daily basis but with no press coverage. When you see people that look like you get killed, harassed and bullied by those in power, with no justice and now peacefully protesting these injustices is seen as a political act by some,instead of a human rights act only proves to me how much farther we need to go as a nation. I always been of the opinion, that if you don't like the protest, try working together to fix the root cause of it.
Let's all be humans instead of people of different colors to be judged on actions and character. Staley escaped SC to go to Philly ruled by Dems who could care less for their welfare. America is not some sudo racial country and if you believe that you have been stacked with misinformation.

So these players, in the greatest country on the planet, are afforded a free education by being good at basketball, sit during the National Anthem, with my Alma mater on their uniform, and ask me to respect their bullshit! F that shit! Dawn Staley should be embarrassed she allowed this bullshit. I’m done with these ungrateful children. Perhaps they think they’d be better off in China, The Congo, or Russia. While I guess they have the right to act so disrespectful, just as I have the right to refuse to support anti-American behavior while representing USC. Screw them and Dawn. What good could this decision ever do to improve race relations, or garner support for their issues? Lost my ass, I’ll watch paint dry before watching anymore USC WBB.

So these players, in the greatest country on the planet, are afforded a free education by being good at basketball, sit during the National Anthem, with my Alma mater on their uniform, and ask me to respect their bullshit! F that shit! Dawn Staley should be embarrassed she allowed this bullshit. I’m done with these ungrateful children. Perhaps they think they’d be better off in China, The Congo, or Russia. While I guess they have the right to act so disrespectful, just as I have the right to refuse to support anti-American behavior while representing USC. Screw them and Dawn. What good could this decision ever do to improve race relations, or garner support for their issues? Lost my ass, I’ll watch paint dry before watching anymore USC WBB.

Let's all be humans instead of people of different colors to be judged on actions and character. Staley escaped SC to go to Philly ruled by Dems who could care less for their welfare. America is not some sudo racial country and if you believe that you have been stacked with misinformation.
Dawn Staley mom left SC because her grandmother feared what would happened to her after she stood up for herself to a white man here in our great state during the 1960s. I mean we elected a loud and proud segregationist in Strom Thurmond to our congress for many decades with no repercussions, I'm not sure why any minority would feel safer in SC than Pennsylvania at the time You talk about us all being humans but you're so focused on political parties instead of seeing what's been happening for centuries to certain demographics. We can become a true post racial society the sooner we stop seeing certain people as criminal first or sentencing one demographic for longer periods of time despite similar records of others.

• Haha
Your alma mater? See, talk like that is part of the reason why they are protesting. It is our alma mater, the black graduates, black athletes that happened to graduate and alumni that support them, too. You can't claim ownership, cut us out, and then act like that there are no race issues that need to be addressed.

Your alma mater? See, talk like that is part of the reason why they are protesting. It is our alma mater, the black graduates, black athletes that happened to graduate and alumni that support them, too. You can't claim ownership, cut us out, and then act like that there are no race issues that need to be addressed.

Days later, you are still at it i see.
He was referring to the school that he attended thus the correct reference was his alma mater.
It must be a sad existence to see skin color in every interaction and to look for reaons to be offended every second of every day.
Ever think that maybe people like you are the real reason society cant seem to get over this race debate? When i see another person. I see a unique individual defined by his character. Too bad you only see pigment tone.

If Dawn is a Democrat, fine.

If she wanted to campaign for Biden, fine.

If she hates Trump, fine.

If she wants the team to sit during the national anthem, I cannot support her or the team.
The great thing about our country is they can choose to stand for the national anthem or not stand and our Constitution and young men/women in the military give them this right. In my opinion, not standing is disrespectful of those who give them this right, so every one of these players and Dawn can move the hell on from our school and I could care less. I would feel the same if it was the football team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT