ADVERTISEMENT

WBB: USC vs Mississippi State

UT, LSU and TAMU at home and UK and ARK on th road are teams that can compete if they have a good night.
Agreed. South Carolina is a really good team but also very young. Great game last night, and I thought MSU outplayed USC for most of the second quarter and a good chunk of the second half. They were better than I thought. That #5 Jackson for them is going to be a beast! USC could not defend the dribble penetration and MSU had some really good athletes that made USC's defense look pedestrian. It will be interesting to see if other teams attempt dribble penetration on every possession to get layups or draw fouls. 3 of USC's starters were in foul trouble at halftime.

As for the rest of the schedule, USC is talented enough to win any game, but there are certainly teams good enough to beat USC, too. I don't see anyone escaping conference play this year without 2 losses. LSU is a hot team right now and has proven they can play with ranked teams with 3 wins over top 15 teams. (Yes, I know Chennedy Carter was injured in LSU's win over A&M, but they're still a good team.). When Carter is healthy, A&M is tough. Playing at KY and at Arkansas will be tough, especially Arkansas with all of their shooters. Tennessee is tough because they have a ton of size at all positions. UCONN may not be the same team they were 4 years ago, but they're still at top 10 team and good enough to beat USC.

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Big win last night. Time to catch our breath!

Wow. Great info from most who posted. When was the last time a WBB game thread went 5 pages long? Lol! Last night was truly a big time game & a great victory for our young team. Let's keep it going lady G's!

Great blend of veterans and youngsters. Great to know that we have a variety of players who can carry us. As the season progresses , our kids are growing up. I like our opportunities in the tournament. Dawn Staley for President (after Trump)..lol

Reactions: Whiterockcock69
The team pulled off the win but, f they don't clean up some stuff, kick they're bench players in the rear - UK & Arkansas on the road might not turn out so well for us. Hell, even Tenn will be tough

I feel almost certain that was intentional to keep Boston from fouling out. It was difficult to watch her stand by when someone repeatedly drove the lane for an easy layup. If it was intentional, Dawn switched it up at the very last moment possible to still win the game. And, if that's the case, she's supremely confident in the team's ability to mount a comeback.

Or maybe I'm wrong and we just got lucky. I think this game showed us that we can't beat the best teams with Boston on the bench. Somebody else has to take her early fouls.
Well, who knows for certain what is in another person's mind at a given moment? Conventional wisdom is that a zone cuts down on some of the effectiveness of driving/cutting offense and subjects the post player to less foul potential. I think that's why McGuire used more zone as he went along and Boeheim built his entire defense around that funky zone he uses. Now in McGuire's case, his earliest post man was Burkholder, who was very tall but not very athletic.

Some zone looks will be needed in some games before this season is over. It has a place and a time, second half last night would have been one of those times to flash it and try to disrupt MSU's easy slashing to the rim. Would also help Boston at times when protecting her from fouls.
MSU outscored USC in the paint and recorded 68% of their points in the paint. Hello zone.

Some zone looks will be needed in some games before this season is over. It has a place and a time, second half last night would have been one of those times to flash it and try to disrupt MSU's easy slashing to the rim. Would also help Boston at times when protecting her from fouls.
MSU outscored USC in the paint and recorded 68% of their points in the paint. Hello zone.
I watched the replay I counted a grand total of 8 outside shots the whole game. I think I got 78% of their made shots were inside the paint. I counted 25 inside shots. Dawn is one that is not going to use it unless foul forced.

Amihere is terrible, she is highly overrated. She plays like a bull in a china shop.
How is she overrated? She's playing like the freshman she is. You mix coming back from injury, battling for minutes behind solid talent like Boston, Saxton and Kiki, and getting used to college game. I think she's doing fine, we see glimpses of talent but she needs time.

How is she overrated? She's playing like the freshman she is. You mix coming back from injury, battling for minutes behind solid talent like Boston, Saxton and Kiki, and getting used to college game. I think she's doing fine, we see glimpses of talent but she needs time.

She's coming back from serious surgery, and I think she's shown flashes of great potential.

Amihere looked awful last night, but that was just last night. If she had not torn her ACL her junior AND senior year in HS she probably would have been ranked #1 in this class. She has spent the last two years not playing Basketball but rehabbing.

She was asked last night to contribute as THE inside force for the first time all season and it was in a tight important game. Clearly she wasn’t ready for that task.
But let’s look at her upside. 6’4” Dunked in a HS game as a Freshman. First Canadian Woman to dunk in competition at any level. On the Canadian National team. 6’9” wingspan, runs like a guard, is a very good ball handler in open court who has not realized you can’t do that in the post. She can rebound and start the break herself. Is a good outside shooter. IF IF she has Chris Silva’s desire and work ethic she will be as good or better than Boston

My sympathy for her injury but that should have nothing to do with simply holding onto the ball in space and throwing the ball under the rim. She definitely can be better but needs a lot of work.

We should rest Victaria against Georgia and Ole Miss unless she's 100%; we can get Olivia and Elysa a little time in both games and play Lele, Laeticia and Destanni a lot of minutes.
yes I would at least give her the Jawja game off. But if there is little or no swelling, she will want to play.

Reactions: DarkCock
UT, LSU and TAMU at home and UK and ARK on th road are teams that can compete if they have a good night.

We have no conferences losses while the only other teams with one loss are Tenn, and MSU and we now hold the tie breaker over MSU. The rest of the SEC teams have multiple conference losses.

We have no conferences losses while the only other teams with one loss are Tenn, and MSU and we now hold the tie breaker over MSU. The rest of the SEC teams have multiple conference losses.

I think we would be co-champs with State, if both teams finish with the second record. The tie-breaker would only be used for seeding in the conference tournament. I'm not 100% positive on that, though.

I think we would be co-champs with State, if both teams finish with the second record. The tie-breaker would only be used for seeding in the conference tournament. I'm not 100% positive on that, though.
Correct; both would share the regular season championship, but we would get the 1 seed in the SECT.

Relax! Gamecocks will sweep the SEC and win the conf tournament!
I love your confidence and believe will win the conference. However you never know when we will have a freak bad day and the other team will fill it up. UT, UK, and Ark have the talent to get us on such a night.

I love your confidence and believe will win the conference. However you never know when we will have a freak bad day and the other team will fill it up. UT, UK, and Ark have the talent to get us on such a night.
I disagree! We are a nightmare matchup for all three. Arkansas and UK have nothing in the paint. I suspect the Vol s are on borrowed time. Seen em play 4 times,not impressed at all.

I disagree! We are a nightmare matchup for all three. Arkansas and UK have nothing in the paint. I suspect the Vol s are on borrowed time. Seen em play 4 times,not impressed at all.
And you told me Miss St was a failed team that we would beat by 20. I love that you always see the best in us. We are 20 points better than Indiana yet they beat us. I am by no means doom and gloom but disrespect good teams at your own risk

And you told me Miss St was a failed team that we would beat by 20. I love that you always see the best in us. We are 20 points better than Indiana yet they beat us. I am by no means doom and gloom but disrespect good teams at your own risk
I feel ya! On a given night any team can be beaten. I tell the truth. Ark. And Ken are flawed teams with great scorers. I have no doubts we're 20 points better than State. If Dawn played matchup zone for 15 minutes we blow em up. Their sixth season guard had a day on dribble drive. Plus it was a must win for Fail State. Their schedule has left them with no highly ranked teams to boost their resume. Look at how we punked em 19-8 the last 8 minutes. But I confess I was biting nails in the third quarter! We might stumble once but I doubt it. Dawn despises Matthew Mitchell! Our players loathe Chelsea Dungee. But the games must be played.

What really worries me is if UCONN loses to Oregon, and I think they will, the game vs our Gamecocks is a must win for them. The Huskys play in an awful conference. The game at CLA is uconns last to boost the resume. We have a better roster than UCONN. But Geno is the best ever. A desperate Geno scares me.

Reactions: danh011
I'm loving this little discussion you guys are having - may I join in

Yes, a desperate Geno is scary but I still think we can beat them. They had two good seniors last year and would've lost to Buffalo in the NCAA if Dillard had help.

The rest of conf play for USC will be interesting but, I still see a team that can win it all

Looking forward to that Uconn/Tenn game tomorrow

I'm loving this little discussion you guys are having - may I join in

Yes, a desperate Geno is scary but I still think we can beat them. They had two good seniors last year and would've lost to Buffalo in the NCAA if Dillard had help.

The rest of conf play for USC will be interesting but, I still see a team that can win it all

L
looking forward to that Uconn/Tenn game tonight
I think UCONN wins +10. I am most interested to see the post play. Tamari Key for UT has had a serviceable season 8ppg and 5rpg, KK is their post 4ppg and 5 rpg. They are no match for Boston.

Ododa-Nelson is the post for UCONN and it came down to us and them in recruiting. She has had injuries but was a top 5 recruit. She barely played last year and this year is 12&10 BUT in her only game against a quality post player(Baylor) ZERO points 0-8 and 6 rebounds and She was not in foul trouble.

Reactions: gamecockblack
looking forward to that Uconn/Tenn game tonight
I think UCONN wins +10. I am most interested to see the post play. Tamari Key for UT has had a serviceable season 8ppg and 5rpg, KK is their post 4ppg and 5 rpg. They are no match for Boston.

Ododa-Nelson is the post for UCONN and it came down to us and them in recruiting. She has had injuries but was a top 5 recruit. She barely played last year and this year is 12&10 BUT in her only game against a quality post player(Baylor) ZERO points 0-8 and 6 rebounds and She was not in foul trouble.
I agree! I think UCONN will cook em. Tenn has three good players. Not sure how much fortitude they have. Storrs is a tough place to play.

Reactions: winloseortie
Yeah, I'm also giving Uconn the dub. But, would love for Tenn to beat them. Tenn has size in their players - they have to use that the best way they can.

I'm happy that Nelson went up north. It left the position open for Boston to come down to us.

UT does have size at all positions as does UCONN but I have a suspicion UCONN will crush them on the boards but if Key and Kk can hold their own against Ododa than I believe both teams will get pounded by Aaliyah.

Miss st is a great teaching game for us against UCONN. we will see that motion and weave from then

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT