ADVERTISEMENT

WBB versus South Dakota game thread

Achilles is a tough rehab 9-12 months minimum
"don't get anybody hurt" .... then our #2 overall recruit gets the worst sports injury imaginable. just our luck, that's why we need the depth because horrible things always happen to us. I'll bet they will say our recruiting class was a flop now

For those not watching, anything more on Johnson? Why can’t we defend the one scoring all their points?

Is it me or does SD seem to fall down every time we get near them?
they do flop a lot, the refs in WBB are the worst in sports so it works, but it is a dishonest way of playing. flopping and hitting threes is their game plan, only chance they have

This team has got to cut down on turnovers at some point, especially the unforced ones. When they play elite teams, the margin is going to be razor thin. I know Nc State is near elite, but they are no UConn.

Reactions: winloseortie
Is it me or does SD seem to fall down every time we get near them?
they do flop a lot, the refs in WBB are the worst in sports so it works, but it is a dishonest way of playing. flopping and hitting threes is their game plan, only chance they have
Yes, that's their game plan. They did the same thing last year. Playing them early just get the young ladies ready for the season

For those not watching, anything more on Johnson? Why can’t we defend the one scoring all their points?
There hasn't been any news, just that she won't return to the game. She is sitting courtside in her uni but in a full leg soft cast. You know the type, you wrap it around the leg and it closes with velcro

Cardozo with a couple of good put-backs. Russell is still all thrust and no guidance — she is too anxious to score. Amihere looks great one minute then looks horrible the next.

Cardozo with a couple of good put-backs. Russell is still all thrust and no guidance — she is too anxious to score. Amihere looks great one minute then looks horrible the next.
I thought Russell looked hesitant. She only took one shot in 13 minutes and turned the ball over 3 times. Better for her shoot and we can rebound than for her to try and force a tough pass.

20 damn turnovers. Those need to get cleaned sooner rather than later. Beautiful rebounding.

The game was moved so I didn't get to see the ending but, with a 30 point led it didn't really matter. Everyone played great team win.

Henny balled as always. I like that Cardoso kid.

20 damn turnovers. Those need to get cleaned sooner rather than later. Beautiful rebounding.

The game was moved so I didn't get to see the ending but, with a 30 point led it didn't really matter. Everyone played great team win.

Turnovers are going to happen with the number of players Dawn is playing. Russell, Hall and Wesolek had 8 of the 20. But it's something to improve on.

Cardoso had zero. I was impressed with her as well. Her passing and decision-making was solid. Doesn't miss bunnies. If she would just not bite on the ball fake, she would stay out of foul trouble.

Another great game for the ladies tonight. First and foremost I hope and pray that Johnson is alright and quickly healed and that whatever she's dealing with wasn't as bad as it seemed.

As for the game the team took care business as they should. Shooting 8/20 from 3 and limiting to SD to only 3 assists. Although 20 turnovers show we still have a lot to improve on.

We gave a lot of new players some valuable playing time while maintaining a blowout. Cardoso is starting to show people why she is as highly touted as she is and I believe what we've seen is just the tip of the iceberg. Bree Hall is someone I said is someone people was overlooking in this freshman class during the off-season and she proved tonight her worth as a potential 3 point threat and defender(just needs to slow down on the turnovers). If we don't get much from Beal I think there's a chance Hall could be a pretty good spark that will force the defense to guard her and open on the floor for the posts.

Then for the veterans we got some pretty good minutes from Henderson with another 5 assist game and a amazing 4/5 from 3. Boston remaining solid with a 9 pts 5 reb and 4 blks with limited minutes. Even though it didn't come into fruition I think we got some solid play from the 4, most of the long range shots from both Amihere and Saxton actually looked good but they rimmed out. If we can start knocking them down consistently then look out for the rest of field.

I'm still high on this team's potential and I don't know if we'll have a consistent star player this season. It seems like we'll be a team of pick your poison for the opponent and any night someone can have a good night and be the player of the game.

Great posts….great game.

Early season thoughts: B10 and PAC have some nice teams, Az defense is really good. B12 prob down this year, think ACC is similar, not a dominant year for them Perhaps. SEC I think has 4-5 tourney teams I can see, the rest is still unproven.

So many teams with several 5th year players, experience everywhere, in mid majors also, I see a bunch of upsets. Good year for deep benches, I think any team playing 6-7 players primarily will be gassed later in season. Many of the teams with players that came back for 5th season have quality depth…

it’s chess now between the coaches with deep and talented rosters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamekem
"don't get anybody hurt" .... then our #2 overall recruit gets the worst sports injury imaginable. just our luck, that's why we need the depth because horrible things always happen to us. I'll bet they will say our recruiting class was a flop now
We don't know the severity of her injury at this point; let's hope for the best for her.

Reactions: DarkCock
20 damn turnovers. Those need to get cleaned sooner rather than later.

Great posts….great game.

Early season thoughts: B10 and PAC have some nice teams, Az defense is really good. B12 prob down this year, think ACC is similar, not a dominant year for them Perhaps. SEC I think has 4-5 tourney teams I can see, the rest is still unproven.

So many teams with several 5th year players, experience everywhere, in mid majors also, I see a bunch of upsets. Good year for deep benches, I think any team playing 6-7 players primarily will be gassed later in season. Many of the teams with players that came back for 5th season have quality depth…

it’s chess now between the coaches with deep and talented rosters.
Agreed. I've seen games already where big teams have struggled against those mid majors because of the experience that covid allowed to return.

Fun season of bb.

Here are some thoughts:

* It was a 31 point game and it wasn't that close. Coach played Saxton more minutes than Boston or Cardoso or Amihere. She could have run up the score had she played them more.

* Saxton is very good against inferior competition. I don't mean that as a slight. She plays hard no matter the opponent is my point. We'll beat 90% of the team on our schedule by showing up and playing hard. As the captain and senior leader, Saxton's job is to set the example.

* The drawback to playing Boston and Cardoso limited minutes, however, they have the potential to be an awesome combo, given time. Just look at this play:

* If Boston and Cardoso could develop the kind of chemistry that A'ja and Alaina had, a lineup with the two of them and a combination of 3 guards could be our best lineup. Opposing teams simply can't matchup and are forced to play zone.

* I don't know how many times over the last 2 seasons I've responded to a poster who asked "wHy dOeSn'T dAwN rEcRuIt A 3 pOiNt ShOoTeR?" with: "we have an excellent 3 point shooter, Destanni Henderson. She just needs to shoot." Last night was not an aberration. She's a career 39% shooter from the 3 point line. I hope she continues to look for her shot. We are a better team when she does.

* My favorite sequence from last night was, at the beginning of the 2nd half, Boston took a couple of mid-range jump shots. She missed them both, but by taking South Dakota's best big away from the basket that left Brea underneath as a woman amongst girls.

* Speaking of SD's big, Hannah Sjervan is on the Naismith Watch List. As is Elissa Cunane from NC State. You wouldn't know it from watching their games against us. We knew the low post defense was going to be REALLY good and it's living up to the hype.

* 9 of the 20 turnovers were committed by Russell, Hall and Beal. Our wings constantly get in trouble when they overpenetrate. They just need to shoot the ball (this is becoming a theme). Hall proved she can make them. A miss is a chance for a rebound or a foul on the opposing team desperately trying to block out. JUST DON'T TURN IT OVER. I'm looking forward seeing Saniya Rivers in action. She has a reputation as a player not afraid to shoot it.

* I don't believe Raven Johnson has taken a shot this season. It looks like Dawn was using her primarily to help push the pace. Even when we don't score in transition, the goal is to wear the opponent down with a fast pace. Don't know the severity of the injury. We have the luxury of not having to rush her back. Charlie Creme has South Dakota as a 7th seed in the tournament. We beat them by 31 points, on their home court, without Johnson, without Rivers, without Lele. Dawn has assembled quite a roster.

* Beat Clemson

Reactions: Gamekem
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT