ADVERTISEMENT

We could have used Bryce Thompson to help out on Saturday. I know - I`ve heard all

psycock

Jan 20, 2001
of the reasons he didn`t become a Gamecock(well maybe not all). I said then and I would say now - would give questionable guys, if we recruit them, a short leash. We just had a player kicked off the team, sounded like he should have been. We had Thompson committed to us, then we didn`t sign him. Don`t know who makes those calls, but he wasn`t bad enough for Tennessee to turn him down. Please don`t make personal comments about the kid, I`m not really wanting to discuss him, just the subject of taking chances on some guys that could help us. Not saying to recruit thugs, but just saying we have always been too nice compared to the Tennessees, the Auburns, etc. If we want to get better we may have to take more chances. If we do, tell them how many strikes they have, live up to what you tell them and, of course, get rid of them if it`s egregious. Agree that DV should not be tolerated but just tell them what absolutely is grounds for dismissal and then they have no argument.

of the reasons he didn`t become a Gamecock(well maybe not all). I said then and I would say now - would give questionable guys, if we recruit them, a short leash. We just had a player kicked off the team, sounded like he should have been. We had Thompson committed to us, then we didn`t sign him. Don`t know who makes those calls, but he wasn`t bad enough for Tennessee to turn him down. Please don`t make personal comments about the kid, I`m not really wanting to discuss him, just the subject of taking chances on some guys that could help us. Not saying to recruit thugs, but just saying we have always been too nice compared to the Tennessees, the Auburns, etc. If we want to get better we may have to take more chances. If we do, tell them how many strikes they have, live up to what you tell them and, of course, get rid of them if it`s egregious. Agree that DV should not be tolerated but just tell them what absolutely is grounds for dismissal and then they have no argument.

Perhaps you should use google and read about this kid, including his arrest while at Tennessee this year (just a month or so ago) before posting some BS like this.

The kid got arrested for an issue while he was being recruited, also had a restraining order issued against him while he was being recruited, and has also been arrested for the same issue while at Tennessee. These are FACTS, not my opinion or me trying to post something negative about him. There is no leash short enough.

I'm extremely thankful that Muschamp has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to domestic violence.

This is one of the more ridiculous posts in a sea of ridiculous posts. Congrats I guess.

I’ve watched a couple of Tennessee games including ours, and I’m happy that we didn’t get Thompson. That kid is a ticking time bomb, who seems to be out of control constantly! Hopefully he gets it together before it’s to late, because he seems dangerous.

Reactions: GeoCocky
So why is he playing at Tennessee? Is Jeremy Pruitt the scum of the earth or something?
Maybe Pruitt coached kids like him at the High School level or he ran across Guys like him as a college assistant, and he knows how to deal with that kind of behavior. Everybody deserves a chance even the Bryce Thompson’s of the world, and maybe Pruitt has the personality to get him straight.

I don't think it's too hard to meet the standard of behavior that's required to get scholarship offer from USC. I don't think our program would be in better shape if we just started "taking chances on guys".

I'm not sure what qualifies as a thug for you, but any player Carolina passes on is probably close to that definition.

It was obvious coming out of high school that Thompson wasnt a choir boy. I have heard rumors that he pulled some type of stunt during a visit to USC, but dont know for sure. Regardless, when you are dealing with a bunch of teenagers that have always been the biggest, fastest, strongest in their local area, and who have probably been able to get away with pretty much anything just to keep them on the field, it isnt like you are always recruiting kids from a church group. Some are very aggressive by nature, and may not have been raised in the most supportive of environments. Just the nature of the beast. Every college football program in the country has to deal with these types of situations from time, to time. Sometimes it gets kept quiet and in house, and other times it explodes publicly like Thompson.

Reactions: Brace1
Michigan State took a similar guy and it went south. It's a risk not worth taking. Dantonio is probably gone and that's one of the reasons.

We took a guy who people also said was a ticking-time bomb a during the Spurrier-era. (I won't mention his name, but he was an in-state CB). As far as I know, the kid got through his USC tenure with no major problems, played 3 years here, then spent a little time playing professionally.
Thompson seems emotional and mouthy, but if anyone cares to look back a few years in the archives to when he originally committed to play here, there's a reason I was excited to potentially have him at USC.

I’m sure our coaches co dieted many options.
Maybe it’s possible that Thompson didn’t live up to some basic expectations during the recruiting process.

Muschamp has had good success with keeping players out of trouble in almost all cases.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT