ADVERTISEMENT

We need a Dual Threat QB

UscfanJB

Dec 1, 2019
How muschamp hasn't figured this out by now is mind blowing. If they still have not figured out how to get Doty ready to play a limited play book game then thats on them. Does this staff know what it takes to win in 2020?

I’m torn on this. In some ways I never want Doty to play under a Muschamp coaches team. Why ruin another promising player?

Reactions: OldWiseCock
You do not need a dual threat to win. Just look at just about every National Championship team. Vast majority have pro styles that can be elusive if need be.
[/QEskimo.

Lawrence may as well be Dual Threat...We do not have Alabama's Line nor skill players to have a lurch at qb.

You do not need a dual threat to win. Just look at just about every National Championship team. Vast majority have pro styles that can be elusive if need be.

I suspect this is what the OP actually means. And I agree with you 100%. Most “dual threat” guys are below average passers. I’d like a guy who can throw the football well but extend a play or two with his legs when needed.

Hill was really bad last night. His weakness was exposed. Teams can sit back in coverage and rush 4 and he has nowhere to go. No need to blitz us.

If you're going to run the "read draw" then you need a qb who can pull it and get yards or move the chains. The read draw is pointless otherwise.

Reactions: Judson1
If you're going to run the "read draw" then you need a qb who can pull it and get yards or move the chains. The read draw is pointless otherwise.

You mean read option? I don’t think we’ve ran one read option with Hill. RPO’s of course. We’ve heard this for 4-1/2 years. Option to hand ball off or pass. But I can’t possibly think we’ve actually ran the read option and if we have it’s been a handful of times. Certainly not a major part of our game plan.

Alabama doesn’t have a dual threat QB, Georgia doesn’t, Clemson doesn’t, LSU didn’t last night. It doesn’t take having a dual threat QB to win in 2020.

We are not Alabama nor do we have 5 stars across the line or their skill players. Same for Georgia. Lawrence runs well. LSU freshman ran well. You don't have to have the rivals tag as a DT to be a mobile qb when needed.

True. But Hill doesn’t have Trevor Lawrence legs.
And we need as many “threats” as we can get.

You mean read option? I don’t think we’ve ran one read option with Hill. RPO’s of course. We’ve heard this for 4-1/2 years. Option to hand ball off or pass. But I can’t possibly think we’ve actually ran the read option and if we have it’s been a handful of times. Certainly not a major part of our game plan.

Basically means Hill isn't reading whether the end is crashing...if he does there could be chunk yards out there. Mobile QB's keep the chains moving. But yes some DT can't throw for crap...I should have said Mobile QB.

Reactions: F-86F
Basically means Hill isn't reading whether the end is crashing...if he does there could be chunk yards out there. Mobile QB's keep the chains moving. But yes some DT can't throw for crap...I should have said Mobile QB.

On an RPO that’s not what he’s reading. We don’t run the read option with Hill. RPO and read option are not the same thing.

In short:
Read option is a called run play. Option is does the QB keep or hand off.

RPO is not a run play. The option is whether to run or pass. QB keeping it isn’t to run...it’s to throw the football. Either hand off or throw.

But I hear ya. I figured that’s what you originally meant.

Read draw or read option, can I assume that’s what that one play was (1st half I think?) where CH pulled the ball from the RB, stood for 1/2sec, and then ran straight into a wall of LSU defenders for a 2yd loss?? What in the heck was *that*?!?

We are not Alabama nor do we have 5 stars across the line or their skill players. Same for Georgia. Lawrence runs well. LSU freshman ran well. You don't have to have the rivals tag as a DT to be a mobile qb when needed.
You implied that a dual threat QB is needed to win in 2020. A dual threat QB is not needed to win in 2020. I simply used some of the best teams in the country right now to back my statement. Trust me I am in no way saying Carolina is Alabama or any of the others. I am well aware of who we are, and was emphatically reminded of it again last night.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Burrow is mobile...as is Lawrence and Tua. Hurts & Fields. All of the final 4 last season had mobile guys.
Burrow and Lawrence both could take it to the house.
We won 33 games in 3 seasons with a mobile guy.

Read draw or read option, can I assume that’s what that one play was (1st half I think?) where CH pulled the ball from the RB, stood for 1/2sec, and then ran straight into a wall of LSU defenders for a 2yd loss?? What in the heck was *that*?!?

It was awful. I’m assuming Hill was going to throw but didn’t pull the trigger. That was his problem last night. For whatever reason he wouldn’t let it go. Our checkdown was open all night long. We finally hit him a few times in the 2nd half all for big chunks. The RPO should be quick. I suspect Hill just didn’t throw there for whatever reason and panicked. Last night was concerning.

Reactions: 92Pony
How am I wrong? Neither one of those guys is a dual threat QB. I agree, they run well when they need to, but they are both Pro Style QBs. Look it up.

I think everyone actually agrees on this thread but the confusion is about what “dual threat” means. OP has even said he should’ve said “mobile QB”. When I think of “dual threat” I think of Lamar Jackson. A mobile QB is obviously a threat in the run game, but as you said, not necessarily labeled a “dual threat”.

On an RPO that’s not what he’s reading. We don’t run the read option with Hill. RPO and read option are not the same thing.

In short:
Read option is a called run play. Option is does the QB keep or hand off.

RPO is not a run play. The option is whether to run or pass. QB keeping it isn’t to run...it’s to throw the football. Either hand off or throw.

But I hear ya. I figured that’s what you originally meant.

And if we are running then they know they can crash the back...I understand rpo...wasn't trying to make this complicated. We need a qb that can pull it and get chuck yards when the opportunity is there...this is all I'm saying.

Reactions: cockyferg
If Trevor Lawrence was here, Musdump would find a way to go 6-4 at best, even with Clemsons receivers on our roster. Muschamp couldnt win at Florida, my Gator buddy told me, he damn sure can't win in Columbia. I told him he was crazy everyone deserves a second chance. I have been apologizing since the end of last year. For how wrong I was. The experiment is over, all his players and still wild inconsistency. Not a head coach.

I totally agree we need a dual threat QB. Even Spurrier had to change his philosophy and use a dual threat QB to win at USC.

I totally agree we need a dual threat QB. Even Spurrier had to change his philosophy and use a dual threat QB to win at USC.
I'm no prophet....but it seemed obvious to me that when WM hired Bobo, he was determined to be a drop back QB guy. When you're desperate, you get creative/innovative.....just like Steve did.

Reactions: Tmac069
We just need a QB who doesn't trip on his own feet, run into defensive players in the backfield every other play, one who gets rid of the ball when surrounded in the backfield, doesn't look at the receiver he is going to throw to before the ball is snapped and watches him until the ball gets there..............

Dual threat would be nice, or if we had a QB that could even move a little, right now we are hosed by Hill’s gimpy leg.

I’m torn on this. In some ways I never want Doty to play under a Muschamp coaches team. Why ruin another promising player?
Doty is a legitimate dual threat QB. Very good arm, knows when to use touch passes. You don't need throw a fastball every pass. I was absolutely astounded Josh Vann held onto that TD pass last night. Nobody near him and Hill throws it 100 MPH. This year doesn't count against Doty's eligibility, may as well get him some experience. Collin Hill is a gamer, no doubt about it, but we'd be doing him a favor making him a back-up. He is going to get clobbered the rest of this year. LSU gave everybody the blueprint. Somebody that has had 3 ACLs doesn't need a guaranteed 4th.

Reactions: Patriot321
Doty is a legitimate dual threat QB. Very good arm, knows when to use touch passes. You don't need throw a fastball every pass. I was absolutely astounded Josh Vann held onto that TD pass last night. Nobody near him and Hill throws it 100 MPH. This year doesn't count against Doty's eligibility, may as well get him some experience. Collin Hill is a gamer, no doubt about it, but we'd be doing him a favor making him a back-up. He is going to get clobbered the rest of this year. LSU gave everybody the blueprint. Somebody that has had 3 ACLs doesn't need a guaranteed 4th.

I have no doubt that Doty is a good QB. I have no doubt that Jeff Driskel is a good QB. I have no doubt Colin Hill is a decent QB. I have no doubt that Hilinski could be a good QB. There’s one thing they have in common.

I'm no prophet....but it seemed obvious to me that when WM hired Bobo, he was determined to be a drop back QB guy. When you're desperate, you get creative/innovative.....just like Steve did.
You are correct on the drop back QB. Still do not know why he thinks that is the way to go. Guess it helps with his defensive mindset .

We just need a QB who doesn't trip on his own feet, run into defensive players in the backfield every other play, one who gets rid of the ball when surrounded in the backfield, doesn't look at the receiver he is going to throw to before the ball is snapped and watches him until the ball gets there..............
The sad thing about your post is you aren't exaggerating.

Reactions: Patriot321
I don't think anyone is saying a Dual threat QB as in running as much as they throw. Dual threat to me is exactly what it says, he can be a "threat" to run, not that he prefers running. Maybe "mobile" or "elusive" would be a better word, have to be able to get out of the pocket quickly and run for a first down when needed. We have a mediocre OL, have for many years, and neither Hill nor Hilinski are a "threat" to run, neither are elusive and neither are quick. To me a Connor Shaw type is best for teams with mediocre OLs, could even be someone with a little less running ability than Connor and a little more passing ability. Do any of our QB's fit the Connor Shaw mold?

There’s a lot of truth to what you’re saying. Hell we seem to ruin potential better than anyone. I actually thought Ryan H would leave as one of our all-time passing leaders. He got thrown to the wolves and did a good job overall. He got the hell beat out of him game after game and many times was to hurt to play. So what do we do, we leave him in the game just like we did Jake Bentley. Sometimes a person just needs to come out and watch when they’re that banged up. Our coaches can’t seem to see that

I am not sure why we brought Hill in as a gimp grad transfer QB? This Dodo offense does not look so complicated to me, LSU had it figured out pretty well as we all see. Could Dodo not have taught our highly mobile pair of 4* QBs how to run this offense? At least they could scramble for 5 yards after the pocket collapses in 4 seconds rather than fall down when the leg brace locks up.

Can you imagine SOS starting Hill, much less recruiting him? Think about this, this is a comical shit show in keeping with a Muschamp tradition...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT