ADVERTISEMENT

We spend less on football recruiting than every other team in the SEC

rockingamecock

Aug 28, 2001
Soda City
We spend $1 million less then Auburn...almost a million less than UT.....Missouri spends more than double what we spend.....even UK spends almost twice what we spend. We have 7 current or former walk-on players on the roster. I think it's safe to say we have some recruiting issues. What gives?

Let me break this down for you. It's really quite simple. We simply don't need to recruit. Our walk-on players are getting it done for us. In our program, they are exceeding the ability of our scholly players and so we have seen the light...just play walk-ons. Problem solved. I believe this is a general synopsis of recent interviews.

If there's one thing I cannot argue with the naysayers about, it's this. I would love to see us maybe spend 800k per year on a full-time recruiting guy who does nothing but evaluate and recruit. Doesn't have to worry about coaching or anything else. Kinda like the NFL scouts.

If we were landing the in-state top talent, then one could at least argue we don't need to spend as much as we aren't traveling as far; however, we are losing that battle also.

You can lead a football coach to a river a money, but you can't make him take that money and spend it on recruiting players he doesn't want to bother to recruit hard.

Reactions: Laziness
We spend $1 million less then Auburn...almost a million less than UT.....Missouri spends more than double what we spend.....even UK spends almost twice what we spend. We have 7 current or former walk-on players on the roster. I think it's safe to say we have some recruiting issues. What gives?
Leader in green fees though.

Let me break this down for you. It's really quite simple. We simply don't need to recruit. Our walk-on players are getting it done for us. In our program, they are exceeding the ability of our scholly players and so we have seen the light...just play walk-ons. Problem solved. I believe this is a general synopsis of recent interviews.
Yeah they got it done last week didn't they. Look, if we win 8 or 9 games then fine, I'll eat crow. It's not like we have the walk-on factory that Nebraska had in the Osborne era. Those guys chose to walk-on instead of taking scholarships to other schools.

Recruiting has helped a no coaching talent like Dabo to be quite successful.
Recruiting at the same time can keep even a great coaching mind like Spurrier from winning.

Reactions: G-C-Gamecock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT