ADVERTISEMENT

We would be media darlings if Ray hired Dawn as men HC. Maybe at least let her turn it down for the PR points

Rachel Maddow would go nuts: 1. a victory for women and 2. her alma mater (Stanford) wouldn't have to worry about the Gamecocks.

The above is meant to be simply humor. I hope Dawn stays put for years and years.

Not everyone wanted to play for a coach like Frank. It took a special kind of guy. So we want to go from that scenario to Dawn? Really? Eliminate a vast majority of players before you even start... again?

Last edited:
She should have right of first refusal. We owe it to her and to the program. I can’t understand how people don’t consider USC a basketball school, when Dawn has proven over and over that it can be a great basketball school.

If she doesn’t want the men’s job, she should at least be asked to be the lead recruiter and evaluator for hiring a new coach. She has proven what can be done here. She can tell and exhibit the story better than everyone. I want her as AD for Basketball Operations, making decisions for Ray.

There has to be a strong connection between Dawn and the next coach, so she should use her network and success story to draw talent here that can follow her leadership.

We are a #1 ranked, national championship BASKETBALL school. Not just women’s basketball. Basketball period. We need to act like it. Stop diminishing what USC can be in basketball. Leverage proven success. It’s not a lousy place to coach. Ask Dawn.

There was a thread about this a few months back.
While I heavily lean towards hiring a proven successful male to coach the mens program I do think if anyone could pull off the position of Basketball Czar it could be a Dawn Staley type.
It’s hard to envision what that would look like, it would be a completely uncharted territory.

There was a thread about this a few months back.
While I heavily lean towards hiring a proven successful male to coach the mens program I do think if anyone could pull off the position of Basketball Czar it could be a Dawn Staley type.
It’s hard to envision what that would look like, it would be a completely uncharted territory.

No, it's a different game. I would say the same if it were Geno. and he has 11 NCAA Women's titles.

I think the bigger question is the idea even something that could be successful - having your basketball programs tied together with a CEO at the head essentially.
I too think the men's and woman's game is too different to really make it work but I also think most anything is possible. Just because no one has done it doesn't mean someone couldn't figure it out but I think the fact that no one has done it at least tells you the obvious that its not like some no brainer idea that just no one has ever thought of.
I guess my thoughts on Dawn are she would be "the type" person I could see leading this if it was something someone tried to pull off - not necessarily saying I think its something we should try to pull off.

Media darling? No doubt. Anchors from CNN and MSNBC would be all over it. The fine women of The View would be breaking down defenses.

The two sports are different. Men's Basketball contains most all of the elements of Women's game. Women's Basketball includes fundamentals of the Men's game, but that's where it ends.

Hire the best candidate to coach Men's Basketball. Dawn Staley is excellent at coaching Women's Basketball.

1) I think hiring the right female head coach for our basketball team would be fantastic- if there is one out there that would be a great hire.

2) I think Ray Tanner or any AD that thought she was seriously interested in the position would give her a 5 minute phone call and ask her if she wanted to pursue it. I feel confident he would.

3) I feel confident that Ray Tanner already knows if she'd be interested in the job at South Carolina based on his relationship with her which- by all accounts- is very good. One thing we know about Tanner is that he has regular conversations with his head coaches- like weekly.

4) Dawn is the #1 seed in the NCAA tournament and is focused solely on winning the regional and then trying to win another national title.

There is no way Tanner would want to interfere with her prep for the regional and if she wanted to be considered, she could easily let him know without his asking- again- based on their good relationship.

Finally, she has never hinted that she wanted to be a head coach of the men's team at South Carolina.

So this is a waste of time to discuss.

Reactions: rogue cock
1) I think hiring the right female head coach for our basketball team would be fantastic- if there is one out there that would be a great hire.

2) I think Ray Tanner or any AD that thought she was seriously interested in the position would give her a 5 minute phone call and ask her if she wanted to pursue it. I feel confident he would.

3) I feel confident that Ray Tanner already knows if she'd be interested in the job at South Carolina based on his relationship with her which- by all accounts- is very good. One thing we know about Tanner is that he has regular conversations with his head coaches- like weekly.

4) Dawn is the #1 seed in the NCAA tournament and is focused solely on winning the regional and then trying to win another national title.

There is no way Tanner would want to interfere with her prep for the regional and if she wanted to be considered, she could easily let him know without his asking- again- based on their good relationship.

Finally, she has never hinted that she wanted to be a head coach of the men's team at South Carolina.

So this is a waste of time to discuss.

Can't follow #1? Why do you believe knowledge of the Women's game would translate well to the Men's Game?

Reactions: Cockopotamus
No.

Our men's program isn't some woke, virtual signaling lib experiment. Hire a proven coach that has proven he can coach a men's team successful.
We've tried that about 5-6 times in the last 20 years without success. Not saying go woke as you call it, but we do need to think outside of the box. Otherwise, we are going to be right back here 5-6 years from now looking for another coach.

Reactions: Buzzkill1
We've tried that about 5-6 times in the last 20 years without success. Not saying go woke as you call it, but we do need to think outside of the box. Otherwise, we are going to be right back here 5-6 years from now looking for another coach.
gif

Dawn can bring McDonalds All Americans to her team because she is a legend in Women's BB. She was an All American at U of Virginia and played for the US Olympic Team of Women's BB. She has coached the US Olympic Team of Women's BB. She may be one of the greatest coaches of all time in Women's BB. Does this translate to the same qualifications and prominence in Men's BB? I don't think so. Men's BB is different! But no doubt she is a legend and is accomplishing things that no USC coach has ever accomplished. But that doesn't mean she can be as effective in coaching men's BB.

If Dawn can bring in 11 McDonalds All-Americans I say hell yes.
That’s the real question. Can she recruit for the men’s team like she has for the women’s team. My guess is no. When she goes to a recruit’s house that young lady has so much in common with her where a young man doesn’t. The fact is the two gender games are as different as baseball is to softball.

That’s the real question. Can she recruit for the men’s team like she has for the women’s team. My guess is no. When she goes to a recruit’s house that young lady has so much in common with her where a young man doesn’t. The fact is the two gender games are as different as baseball is to softball.
None of us know whether she would be successful or not because it has never been tried. I am not in favor of damaging our women's program by moving Staley, but I have no doubt that a female could be successful in the men's game if given the opportunity. Men are successful in the women's game. Why? because they get a chance. We have got to stop this. When men bulldoze their way into female endeavors, it's nothing to it. However, when other groups try to lead it seems many try to make excuses why not. That's why I always root against the male coaches in women's basketball because they are handed opportunities not afforded to others.

Some want to do the same thing to womens bb that we did to baseball, Promote a highly successful coach in a sport to a position just because they have achieved greatness n their sport. Nope…don’t even think about it.

Can't follow #1? Why do you believe knowledge of the Women's game would translate well to the Men's Game?

Because I don't subscribe to the idea that the right women's basketball coach can't coach a men's basketball team- or vice versa. To me saying a woman can't do it makes no sense at all. It would be like saying a lifelong men's coach can't coach a woman's team. That would make no sense either.

I find it nuts to suggest a woman who obviously knows basketball couldn't coach a men's team. Is the men's game different? Of course it is, but it's still basketball.

Just because something hasn't been done before is not evidence it can't work. The examples of too numerous to mention.

I am not advocating for any particular outcome other than to get a good fit for the team. But I don't find it ridiculous at all. I find it intriguing. But again, I am for only getting the best fit. I'm not advocating for any particular person.

I think this is more of a generational issue. Some folks of an older age have an issue with something like this - and some of a younger age wouldn't care at all. Oh, it would be interesting for a short period of time but after that it would be a non-issue for many. For others, it's just another sign of the end of time which I find amusing.

None of us know whether she would be successful or not because it has never been tried. I am not in favor of damaging our women's program by moving Staley, but I have no doubt that a female could be successful in the men's game if given the opportunity. Men are successful in the women's game. Why? because they get a chance. We have got to stop this. When men bulldoze their way into female endeavors, it's nothing to it. However, when other groups try to lead it seems many try to make excuses why not.

Great post.

The "let's not do it because women don't know the men's game" reasoning is not logical to me. We've heard similar arguments throughout history and they just don't hold up.

I too am not advocating for any particular outcome. I am not "rooting" for any particular person to be get the job.

You want to be a media darling and get someone who knows the men's game? You know the answer. That's right. Tranny

You want to be a media darling and get someone who knows the men's game? You know the answer. That's right. Tranny

What is this supposed to mean? Why the needless insult?

It has ZERO to do with the media. That makes no sense.

I want to get the best fit for the job. I don't care if that is a man or a woman.

I don't happen to believe only men can coach men or only women can coach women. I think such an idea is not based in reality- only feelings.

Their feelings are just simple racism and sexism. I guess men’s basketball is just way more complicated than business, academia, war, and life in general, which women have remarkably not only figured out, but mastered.

I want to get the best fit for the job. I don't care if that is a man or a woman.

I don't happen to believe only men can coach men or only women can coach women. I think such an idea is not based in reality- only feelings.

I want the best fit too. But zero to do with the media? You dont think the media would beating the door down to cover that? My understanding was that's why this thread was started. Not that I agree with it.
Help me out here tho, where is the insult? Curious to know.

Their feelings are just simple racism and sexism. I guess men’s basketball is just way more complicated than business, academia, war, and life in general, which women have remarkably not only figured out, but mastered.

I don't know. I see it as a generational issue more than anything.

I still remember when my high school got their first female band director. I just finished high school and even then I heard some disparaging comments. The students didn't seem to care. Two years later they made the state marching finals for the first time in 20 years (finished 3rd).

It made no sense, but I think there will always be a segment of society that revolts against any type of change.

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
I want the best fit too. But zero to do with the media? You dont think the media would beating the door down to cover that? My understanding was that's why this thread was started. Not that I agree with it.
Help me out here tho, where is the insult? Curious to know.

You said "You want to be a media darling"

I called that nonsense. I don't see any evidence that someone wants to hire a female coach to be a "media darling." If that was the goal, they could do that today. They could have done it yesterday. That didn't happen. There is ZERO evidence that anyone is doing it to make a media splash because it hasn't happened.

They might be one. They might not be one. But I certainly don't want to be one and since it HASN'T happened yet, I certainly don't sense any desire to hire someone so they can be a media darling. That makes no sense to me.

"You know the answer. That's right. Tranny"

What is that supposed to mean?

Last edited:
I called that nonsense. I don't see any evidence that someone wants to hire a female coach to be a "media darling."
Exhibit A
Title of thread

"We would be media darlings if Ray hired Dawn as men HC. Maybe at least let her turn it down for the PR points"

Dawn is a female right?

At SEC level, USC needs a proven coach. IMO. Lots of folks say BJ doesn’t have the experience and nameless others out there do not either -that they have not coached in the “big time.” So, if we hired a female coach, following these lines, I’d expect her to have coached men before at some level and proven themselves. And don’t say that because they have coached women at a high level, that is enough. There are big differences - in the locker room, the way things are ran, recruiting, on and on. I’d say the same thing for men coaching women - I’d say even Krzyzewski would have trouble coaching women ( his language would not allow it).

I don't know. I see it as a generational issue more than anything.

I still remember when my high school got their first female band director. I just finished high school and even then I heard some disparaging comments. The students didn't seem to care. Two years later they made the state marching finals for the first time in 20 years (finished 3rd).

It made no sense, but I think there will always be a segment of society that revolts against any type of change.
Well, many times racism and sexism are generational. We have made these terms such trigger words that we are sometimes reluctant to just call it what it is. One day the term racism is frowned upon because we don't want to hurt others feelings and give the benefit of the doubt. So, will others be wrong the next day by saying the terms "Woke" or "Virtual Signaling" hurt my feelings, I think I should get the benefit of the doubt on that. It's all a circle. So, I just call it how I see things and if people get mad, so what.

At SEC level, USC needs a proven coach. IMO. Lots of folks say BJ doesn’t have the experience and nameless others out there do not either -that they have not coached in the “big time.” So, if we hired a female coach, following these lines, I’d expect her to have coached men before at some level and proven themselves. And don’t say that because they have coached women at a high level, that is enough. There are big differences - in the locker room, the way things are ran, recruiting, on and on. I’d say the same thing for men coaching women - I’d say even Krzyzewski would have trouble coaching women ( his language would not allow it).
I don't disagree with this logic. However, I still say it can't be done if you tried it. Someone just has to have the courage to do so. A woman with no experience in an area would struggle just like a man with no experience. That's why I totally don't get the BJ McKie support for our men's job. I have not kept it a secret that I think it is time for minority hire for our men's basketball job. However, it should make people think if I have pause with just putting BJ out there in the SEC. Nonetheless, I would be the first to get behind BJ if he is the choice.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT