ADVERTISEMENT

Weekly Thoughts (BYE Edition)

Josh Low

Gamecock Central Analyst
Jun 12, 2012
Projected 2019 Depth Chart

I think I’ve been doing this pretty much every bye week for the last couple years so I’m not going to change it up this year. I try not to include the current commitments but I’m probably going to break that rule this year.

Quarterback

1). Jake Bentley

2). Dakereon Joyner (Ryan Hilinski)

3). Jay Urich

It is hard for me to see where someone not named Bentley is the starter at quarterback to open the season next year. I know there is going to be a lot of debate during the offseason about this position, but I just don’t see it happening. Joyner and Urich would have another year in the program with Dan Werner and should develop more as a passer. I think Joyner should be able to help this team next season in some capacity. The obvious missing piece here is Ryan Hilinski. Assuming he is on campus next spring, which all signs point to that happening, then he is obviously the guy that has the best chance at the backup spot and also challenging Bentley.

Running Back

1). Rico Dowdle

2). Ty’Son Williams

3). AJ Turner

This position is a little hard to project right now. I have Dowdle at the top just based off what the coaching staff has done this season. It hasn’t been a consistent season for Dowdle but he continues to be the starter. Williams has been productive when he has played but the injuries have played a role on him. I do think South Carolina has some decent depth at running back but I’m not sure they have that one guy that you can rely on as a workhorse. Deshaun Fenwick and Lavonte Valentine are interesting players that should be redshirt freshmen next year. I like Valentine’s speed but Fenwick is the one that is intriguing to me. I think he could be someone that has workhorse potential. Mon Denson should also be back next season as depth.

Receiver (outside)

1). Bryan Edwards

2). Chavis Dawkins

Receiver (outside)

1). Josh Vann

2). OrTre Smith

Receiver (slot)

1). Shi Smith

2).Randrecous Davis

Assuming Edwards comes back next season, which I think he should, then this isn’t a bad looking receiver group. Edwards and Shi Smith are definite starters and should be playmakers for the offense. I think there could be a battle between Vann and OrTre Smith for the other starting spot on the outside. Whoever isn’t the starter should basically be the fourth man. I think Dawkins is the wildcard next year at receiver. He could be someone that really steps up and sees more playing time.

Tight End

1). Kiel Pollard

2). Kyle Markway

3). Evan Hinson

4). Will Register

Pollard and Markway should really be considered co-starters as Pollard should be the favorite for H-Back and Markway at Y. I think both have flashed at some point this year. They have the potential to take a nice step forward next year. I’m also still waiting for the light to come on for Hinson. I think the potential is there for him. It will also be interesting to see what happens with Register next season. The two current commits, Traevon Kenion and KeShawn Toney, could factor into this equation as well. They both can make some things happen in the passing game.

Left Tackle

1). Jordon Carty

2). Maxwell Iyama

Left Guard

1). Jovaughn Gwyn

2). Chandler Farrell

Center

1). Donell Stanley

2). Hank Manos

Right Guard

1). Sadarius Hutcherson

2). Jordan Rhodes

Right Tackle

1). Dylan Wonnum

2). Eric Douglas

The offensive line is very difficult to project right now. South Carolina will be replacing three starters next season with the possibility of four depending on what Stanley does. If Stanley does come back, then I think you are comfortable with him, Hutcherson and Wonnum. After that, it is really anyone’s best guess right now. I think there is some potential in this group but the lack of experience next year will be a concern going into the season. A big question will be who is going to play left tackle. I don’t have a good feel for that at all right now.

Defensive End (Buck)

1). DJ Wonnum

2). Daniel Fennell/Brad Johnson

Defensive End

1). Aaron Sterling

2). Shameik Blackshear

Defensive Tackle

1). Keir Thomas

2). Rick Sandidge/JJ Enagbare

Defensive Tackle (NT)

1). Javon Kinlaw

2). Kobe Smith

This is a fun position to project in the future right now. There are a lot of different options you could go with. I would agree with you if you say I played it very safe. This is obviously assuming both Wonnum and Kinlaw come back next season. I didn’t even list players like MJ Webb, Josh Belk, and Jabari Ellis. They all could factor in the rotation at defensive tackle next year. I also didn’t list any of the current commits. It is hard for a true freshman to start on the defensive line in the SEC but I will say that Zacch Pickens has the potential to be different. You also have the JUCO guys, Jahkeem Green and Devontae Davis, who could play a huge role next season as well. The options on the defensive line look promising.

Mike Linebacker

1). TJ Brunson

2). Rosendo Louis

Will Linebacker

1). Sherrod Greene

2). Damani Staley

I don’t see how much can change next year at the linebacker position. I think Brunson and Greene should be considered the heavy favorites as the starters. The depth behind them will probably still be a concern. Louis has potential and an offseason in the weight room could really help him. Ernest Jones should also play a role next year.

Cornerback

1). Jaycee Horn

2). Cam Smith

Cornerback

1). Israel Mukuamu

2). Jamel Cook

Nickel

1). DJ Daniel

2). Jamel Cook

Safety

1). RJ Roderick

2). Jaylin Dickerson

Safety

1). Jam Williams

2). Jonathan Gipson

I think this group could go a lot of different ways. There are several players that could switch from corner to safety or the other way around. Where will Cook and Jam Williams land position wise? I like the talent in this group but there are just a lot of unknowns. I think it is a safe bet that Daniel and Cam Smith will play next year. I think Roderick could take a big step forward after an offseason in the weight room at South Carolina. Dickerson is the wildcard in the secondary. He has the potential to be a starter at safety next year but has to stay healthy.

SEC Power Rankings

1). Alabama

They are clearly the best team in the country but I want to see how the team this year will respond when they get tested for a full four quarters.

2). LSU

3). Georgia

I have these two teams as a notch below Alabama right now in the SEC. LSU proved last weekend how difficult it will be for a team to beat them in their house. It will be interesting to see how Georgia responds from the beat down LSU put on them. They responded last season to a loss on the road to Auburn pretty well. They are off this weekend before playing Florida and Kentucky in consecutive weeks that should determine the SEC East.

4). Florida

5). Texas A&M

6). Kentucky

It is really difficult to put an order to these three teams right now. I wouldn’t argue any order right now. I have Florida at the top because they do have that win over LSU. I have Kentucky at the bottom because they are Kentucky and I still think have some things to prove. These three teams are just about even.

7). Mississippi State

8). Auburn

9). Ole Miss

10). South Carolina

There seems to be a nice little gap right now between the first six teams in the SEC and the last six teams. Mississippi State was off last weekend but the win over Auburn two weeks ago doesn’t look as good now. I might have Auburn a little over ranked. They have too much talent on that team to keep playing like they are. If they lose this weekend to Ole Miss, then watch out. Ole Miss has been a nice surprise in the SEC so far. Their two losses have been blowouts but they have also been to the two best teams in the conference. I think South Carolina is barely out of the bottom group right now.

11). Tennessee

12). Missouri

13). Vanderbilt

14). Arkansas

It was a big win for Tennessee last weekend but I’m not ready to jump full onboard and predict a bowl game berth yet. Missouri has a very interesting game this weekend against Memphis. Vanderbilt had a golden opportunity last weekend against Florida and flopped in the second half. Arkansas also blew a lead at home to Ole Miss last weekend.

My Top 10

1). Alabama

2). Ohio State

3). Notre Dame

4). Clemson

5). LSU

6). Georgia

7). Michigan

8). Central Florida

9). Florida

10). Texas

Things are pretty clear after last week as far as the top four are concerned. If the top four win out, then that is your playoff this season. I think LSU, Georgia, and Michigan are the clear next three right now. They also have an opportunity to play themselves in the playoff. After that, there are a lot of teams that are pretty equal. The area that I’m a little different from others is my view on Florida, Texas, and Oklahoma. I have Florida ahead of those two because I think their strength of record is better. Oklahoma is out of my top ten because they haven’t beaten anyone.

Big Game Predictions

It was a big week for me as I gained two games on my dad. I went 9-5 overall and 4-2 in SEC games. I’m now 65-25 overall and 31-12 in SEC games. Chris went 7-7 overall last week and 3-3 in SEC games. He is now 66-24 overall and 34-9 in SEC games. However, Chris is still perfect in picking South Carolina games at 6-0 and I’m 4-2.

NC State @ Clemson

Chris:
Clemson has shown a few hiccups this season already and this will probably be their toughest test at home. The Tigers defense will keep the Wolfpack in check and Clemson will remain unbeaten.

Clemson 34 NC State 21

Josh:
I think some points will be scored in this game. NC State usually plays Clemson pretty tough and I think they can take advantage of Clemson’s weakness on defense, their secondary. NC State has not beat Clemson since 2011 and I think that streak will continue Saturday. I do think NC State will cover.

Clemson 37 NC State 29

Michigan @ Michigan State

Chris:
The Spartans have had their way with the Wolverines the last few years, but it looks like Jim Harbaugh has Michigan playing its best football. More importantly, it looks like the Wolverines are finding an identity on offense. This one will be close but Michigan will pull it out in the fourth quarter.

Michigan 28 Michigan State 24

Josh:
Michigan State is coming off a big road win but I don’t think they can pull off two upsets in a row. Michigan State is struggling to run the ball and that isn’t a good thing when you are about to face Michigan’s defense. I think Michigan will pull it out in the fourth quarter.

Michigan 24 Michigan State 17

Mississippi State @ LSU

Chris:
Ed Orgeron probably deserves more credit than he is getting for the job he has done with this LSU team. The Tigers are a different team at home and will once again use that home field to their advantage and take another big step to what will be a huge showdown with Alabama in two weeks.

LSU 27 Mississippi State 17

Josh:
I know teams sometimes take a step back after huge wins like LSU had last weekend, but I don’t see that happening Saturday night. Mississippi State is struggling offensively and playing at night in LSU is only going to make those struggles worse. I think LSU rolls again at home.

LSU 30 Mississippi State 13

Other Notable Games:

Chris:

Auburn over Ole Miss by 7

Alabama over Tennessee by 24

Kentucky over Vanderbilt by 12

Missouri over Memphis by 6

Arkansas over Tulsa by 10

Oklahoma over TCU by 14

Washington over Colorado by 17

Ohio State over Purdue by 21

Washington State over Oregon by 4