ADVERTISEMENT

What are they thinking???

hahnenkampf

Aug 7, 2005
Reading about discussions between the ACC and Stanford/Cal. Does anyone really think this is feasible? Why would any school want to join the straightjacket terms of the ACC?

So FSU is vocal about wanting out of the ACC supposedly to join the SEC? Remember when the SEC supposedly offered membership to FSU back in 1992 but they felt their future was brighter in the ACC? One could argue that South Carolina is a member of the SEC because FSU rejected the SEC back then.

Screw FSU and Clemson — neither school brings anything to the SEC. JMHO — what’s everyone else’s?

It is way too expensive for teams to depart from the ACC. They are stuck with each other. I read an article on a different site that stated the SEC would like to add North Carolina and Virginia to the conference, but the Big Ten also has interest in those teams too.

It is way too expensive for teams to depart from the ACC. They are stuck with each other. I read an article on a different site that stated the SEC would like to add North Carolina and Virginia to the conference, but the Big Ten also has interest in those teams too.
I think North Carolina or NC State with Virginia makes good financial additions to the SEC. Those schools add their large TV markets to the SEC footprint whereas FSU and Clemson do not. The Raleigh/Durham area is particularly interesting and that is why I think NC State is preferable over UNC. Again, JMHO

Other than non-conference and the Stanford/Cal matchup, look at how many CROSS COUNTRY trips would be necessary!! I'm guessing the leftist libers will be protesting this due to all that contribution to globull worming!

ATLANTIC COAST conference, HELLO?!
9fd7cf557b5d14cb460aef07aead327b--s-movies-movie-tv.jpg

Looks like the discussions are back on. The scenarios being proposed are Stanford taking a much-smaller cut of the ACC purse so that FSU and Clemson can have a larger cut. I’m thinking Stanford would only make the deal if Cal is included. I hear Condoleeza Rice is involved.

Looks like the discussions are back on. The scenarios being proposed are Stanford taking a much-smaller cut of the ACC purse so that FSU and Clemson can have a larger cut. I’m thinking Stanford would only make the deal if Cal is included. I hear Condoleeza Rice is involved.
Wonder how long that'll last, didn't teams start bailing from big 12 because Texas insisted on larger cut of money? T

Reading about discussions between the ACC and Stanford/Cal. Does anyone really think this is feasible? Why would any school want to join the straightjacket terms of the ACC?

So FSU is vocal about wanting out of the ACC supposedly to join the SEC? Remember when the SEC supposedly offered membership to FSU back in 1992 but they felt their future was brighter in the ACC? One could argue that South Carolina is a member of the SEC because FSU rejected the SEC back then.

Screw FSU and Clemson — neither school brings anything to the SEC. JMHO — what’s everyone else’s?
Right? 6 National Championships doesn’t even come close to the prestige that USC brought to the league.

Right? 6 National Championships doesn’t even come close to the prestige that USC brought to the league.
It’s all about the Benjamins my friend. Neither FSU, Clemson, nor Miami bring any incremental revenue to the Florida or South Carolina markets. “Even when they say it’s not, it’s always about the money” (Melissa Francis; Fox Business).

If national championships were what drives desirability for a conference affiliation, they would all be knocking at Stanford’s door. Again, JMHO

Last edited:
Talk about sending sports that are already in the red even further. Not a good financial decision to throw good money after bad.

Reactions: Cybercock
It’s all about the Benjamin’s my friend. Neither FSU, Clemson, nor Miami bring any incremental revenue to the Florida or South Carolina markets. “Even when they say it’s not, it’s always about the money” (Melissa Francis; Fox Business).

If national championships were what drives desirability for a conference affiliation, they would all be knocking at Stanford’s door. Again, JMHO have national top 20 fan bases. Geographyy makes no difference.
It’s all about the Benjamin’s my friend. Neither FSU, Clemson, nor Miami bring any incremental revenue to the Florida or South Carolina markets. “Even when they say it’s not, it’s always about the money” (Melissa Francis; Fox Business).

If national championships were what drives desirability for a conference affiliation, they would all be knocking at Stanford’s door. Again, JMHO
All three have national top 20 fan bases, so yes, they do add tremendous value. Geography makes no difference my friend.

All three have national top 20 fan bases, so yes, they do add tremendous value. Geography makes no difference my friend.
They might have top 20 fan bases, but the SEC has no footprint in North Carolina or Virginia and I would think those would be the states they would want to get into if they were looking to expand further, again it's all about the money!

Reactions: DarkHorse2001
Ehh I dont think so. If you go by revenue generated all three ACC programs are outside the top 20. Clemson and FSU were in the upper 20s. Miami is just outside the top 40. Even with Clemson being a top team every year for the last decade or so they really arent bringing in as much revenue as programs with bigger fanbases that havent had as much on field success. This WSJ link is a little bit dated, but I think its probably still directionally correct.

Miami has a small fan base and a very small alumni base. Even when they are good you can see a lack of fan support by the attendance at their stadium. Clemson's fan base is more regional located primarily in South Carolina, Atlanta, and Charlotte. FSU probably has a larger national fanbase if I had to guess and once they start sustaining success again Im willing to bet the revenue generated will shoot back up.

When it comes to generating value this is all based on media market interest. The SEC already has captured most of the perceived media markets in the states of South Carolina and Florida. Adding Clemson, FSU, and Miami would not boost the % of TVs watching SEC football much, if at all. So all you'd be doing is splitting up the pie more with teams that don't bring additional value to ESPN who is paying for the TV rights to games.

Thats why the SEC is bringing in Texas and Oklahoma. It brings more national interest outside of the traditional southeastern media markets and thus adds value to the overall SEC product.

Last edited:
Ehh I dont think so. If you go by revenue generated all three ACC programs are outside the top 20. Clemson and FSU were in the upper 20s. Miami is just outside the top 40. Even with Clemson being a top team every year for the last decade or so they really arent bringing in as much revenue as programs with bigger fanbases that havent had as much on field success. This WSJ link is a little bit dated, but I think its probably still directionally correct.

Miami has a small fan base and a very small alumni base. Even when they are good you can see a lack of fan support by the attendance at their stadium. Clemson's fan base is more regional located primarily in South Carolina, Atlanta, and Charlotte. FSU probably has a larger national fanbase if I had to guess and once they start sustaining success again Im willing to bet the revenue generated will shoot back up.

When it comes to generating value this is all based on media market interest. The SEC already has captured most of the perceived media markets in the states of South Carolina and Florida. Adding Clemson, FSU, and Miami would not boost the % of TVs watching SEC football much, if at all. So all you'd be doing is splitting up the pie more with teams that don't bring additional value to ESPN who is paying for the TV rights to games.

Thats why the SEC is bringing in Texas and Oklahoma. It brings more national interest outside of the traditional southeastern media markets and thus adds value to the overall SEC product.
Excellent analysis! Most Clemson fans already watch SC and other SEC games when Clemson is not playing and I’d offer that although they wouldn’t admit it most South Carolina fans watch Clemson games when the Gamecocks are not playing — so it’s basically a revenue wash.

I watch our game against Clemson and usually their bowl game, but most other games are terrible matchups with subpar talent. And even if there is a decent ACC matchup, you can always count on the refs to bail them out and make sure they win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT