ADVERTISEMENT

What are you hoping to see out of the spring game Saturday?

Yeah, we would all pass out. Lol.

I just saw that Muschamp said that the young QBs will be live at the Spring Game. I'm not sure about Bentley. I would hope that if he's forcing one of them to go live, they would all be live. Otherwise, it sort of feels like Muschamp putting his thumb on the scale.

I've never been one to subscribe to the theory that Jake only starts because of his dad's position. But if I were, this wouldn't exactly dispel me of that notion.

Well they haven't exactly given people a reason to think otherwise, especially when they refuse to send someone else in when we're getting our heads kicked in 28-0. At that point, what could it possibly hurt? Or in the "smaller" games. Or when you ask fans if they think we win on that final drive against Mizzou with JB under center and they answer "no".

Reactions: king ward
I’m not in Columbia but it feels like this year is the least amount of hype I can recall around Spring Practice / Game.

This seems a product of the head coach. A friend of mine at church who is a UT fan asked me what news there was out of our spring practice and I just said "not much. it's not like when spurrier was coach." Spurrier kind of kept a circus atmosphere. There was TONS of news coming out over the smallest details and he was always ready with some post-practice trashing of the QBs or receivers or some other aspect of the team. Champ just doesn't seem to say much.

Spring games are just for excitement. The one thing we do is make the back up QBs "live" will be interesting to see how they react knowing they can get lit up.

Well they haven't exactly given people a reason to think otherwise, especially when they refuse to send someone else in when we're getting our heads kicked in 28-0. At that point, what could it possibly hurt? Or in the "smaller" games. Or when you ask fans if they think we win on that final drive against Mizzou with JB under center and they answer "no".
Exactly. I dare say Scar had earned a chance for one final appearance before exhausting his eligibility. Also, it kind of feels like Muschamp completely mishandled the new RS rule in regards to Joyner. That, or he and the staff simply don't think he will ever be a QB in the SEC. (Personally, Im leaning towards the latter.) BUT, if I'm Muschamp, why not let him play in some of those smaller games you mentioned and let everyone see that for themselves? Especially when a sizable portion of the fanbase already thinks I'm playing favorites with the QB position.

Exactly. I dare say Scar had earned a chance for one final appearance before exhausting his eligibility. Also, it kind of feels like Muschamp completely mishandled the new RS rule in regards to Joyner. That, or he and the staff simply don't think he will ever be a QB in the SEC. (Personally, Im leaning towards the latter.) BUT, if I'm Muschamp, why not let him play in some of those smaller games you mentioned and let everyone see that for themselves? Especially when a sizable portion of the fanbase already thinks I'm playing favorites with the QB position.

Scar got the most raw deal of anyone whose ever played college football.

Meh...we play in the SEC. That excuse is getting old. Our schedule was, is, and will ALWAYS be, tough.

Not an excuse...just observing reasons for low expectations. Our schedule doesn’t always include 3 of Top 5 teams in the country and another team that won a NYD Bowl game. This is, by far, the most difficult schedule we have had in years. Not even close. Our schedules haven’t been all that difficult since the shift of power from the East to West, though we have always played quality opponents.

We could be a better team than last year and go 6-6, easily. Again...no excuse. But even the most positive of Gamecock fans aren’t going predict anything huge this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goldhunter
Not an excuse...just observing reasons for low expectations. Our schedule doesn’t always include 3 of Top 5 teams in the country and another team that won a NYD Bowl game. This is, by far, the most difficult schedule we have had in years. Not even close. Our schedules haven’t been all that difficult since the shift of power from the East to West, though we have always played quality opponents.

We could be a better team than last year and go 6-6 easily.
Valid point. But I would contend that as the SEC East slipped, so did the state of our overall program. Not to mention Clemson's rise to a national power (ugh!). So all things being equal, our schedule was still tough for us.

But as I've said before, this is Muschamp's 4th season coming up. It's time to show he can field a consistently competitive team that can beat ranked teams.

Reactions: Carolina4
Valid point. But I would contend that as the SEC East slipped, so did the state of our overall program. Not to mention Clemson's rise to a national power (ugh!). So all things being equal, our schedule was still tough for us.

But as I've said before, this is Muschamp's 4th season coming up. It's time to show he can field a consistently competitive team that can beat ranked teams.

East slipped way before we were decent though. UF was good under Meyer for a few years as we were improving but at our peak, they were down. Tennessee the same. UGA was ranked high but a tad overrated.

Our schedules haven’t been this difficult since the “Orange Crush” days and Clemson was a pedestrian team back then. When UT started falling off and Spurrier left Florida, that’s when I feel the power shifted out of the East, though was more balance overall in the SEC. 2009-2010 is when the power really shifted over to the West. Our 2010 schedule was difficult too, but as you said, we were much better that year and somehow got through it with a decent season (won the East with 3 conference losses). I really see this year as having similar opportunities for a program changing win...I just believed a little more that it was possible with Spurrier than I do with Muschamp at this point. We haven’t beaten anyone we shouldn’t have with the exception of Tennessee in 2016. Fans know that...and until we show otherwise I think fans are keeping their expectations more realistic than in the past.

Last edited:
East slipped way before we were decent though. UF was good under Meyer for a few years as we were improving but at our peak, they were down. Tennessee the same. UGA was ranked high but a tad overrated.

Our schedules haven’t been this difficult since the “Orange Crush” days and Clemson was a pedestrian team back then. When UT started falling off and Spurrier left Florida, that’s when I feel the power shifted out of the East, though was more balance overall in the SEC. 2009-2010 is when the power really shifted over to the West. Our 2010 schedule was difficult too, but as you said, we were much better that year and somehow got through it with a decent season. I really see this year as having similar opportunities for a program changing win...I just believed a little more that it was possible with Spurrier than I do with Muschamp at this point. We haven’t beaten anyone we shouldn’t have with the exception of Tennessee in 2016. Fans know that...and until we show otherwise I think fans are keeping their expectations more realistic than in the past.
I'm not thinking we would have beaten UT in 2016 if Alvin Kamara had been in there.

I'm not thinking we would have beaten UT in 2016 if Alvin Kamara had been in there.

Maybe not. But I know we desperately needed that win that season. It kind of catapulted us into the next season and gave us hope. We HAVE to get another win like that to create some more hope / positivity around this program, especially heading into year 5 of the Muschamp era. A win against UGA, Bama, or Clemson would be huge. Odds are our best shot at a big win will be at home vs Florida...but I’m not sure how convinced the fan base will be if that were to happen based on the fact we should’ve won that one last season.

A win against one of those 3 National Title contenders would be huge. Those are the best 3 teams in the nation over the last two seasons. I can’t get mad if we don’t come through...but we need to somehow.

Virtually no room to lose a game we shouldn’t this season. Can’t get upset anywhere unless we upset someone else. Maybe we need a break or two like we got 2 years ago against the Vols.

Meh...we play in the SEC. That excuse is getting old. Our schedule was, is, and will ALWAYS be, tough.

exactly right ! Ultimately Muschamp has t o beat some of these so called unbeatable teams! There is no way around it! That's what he is paid to do!

Scar got the most raw deal of anyone whose ever played college football.

Dude please! There is no doubt Bentley should have been benched for a couple of games. But Scar was never what you seemed to think! But anyone could have done better than Jake on occasions!

Reactions: rogue cock

Our schedules haven’t been this difficult since the “Orange Crush” days and Clemson was a pedestrian team back then. When UT started falling off and Spurrier left Florida, that’s when I feel the power shifted out of the East, though was more balance overall in the SEC. 2009-2010 is when the power really shifted over to the West. Our 2010 schedule was difficult too, but as you said, we were much better that year and somehow got through it with a decent season (won the East with 3 conference losses). I really see this year as having similar opportunities for a program changing win...I just believed a little more that it was possible with Spurrier than I do with Muschamp at this point. We haven’t beaten anyone we shouldn’t have with the exception of Tennessee in 2016. Fans know that...and until we show otherwise I think fans are keeping their expectations more realistic than in the past.
To your first point. Didn't we have something to do with that? Florida, Georgia and Tennessee used to come cherry pick the top talent in our state. But we were slowly keeping the Lattimores, Gilmores and Clowneys home. These guys were difference makers. And now they were playing for us.

To your second point, I totally agree that it's time for Muschamp to prove he can beat ranked teams. That Tennessee win was big at the time. But considering the way they fell off a cliff right after that, it feels like the shine's worn off of that victory.

Reactions: lawcalcock
Yeah, we would all pass out. Lol.

I just saw that Muschamp said that the young QBs will be live at the Spring Game. I'm not sure about Bentley. I would hope that if he's forcing one of them to go live, they would all be live. Otherwise, it sort of feels like Muschamp putting his thumb on the scale.

I've never been one to subscribe to the theory that Jake only starts because of his dad's position. But if I were, this wouldn't exactly dispel me of that notion.
I think he starts because he is a senior and the only QB with legitimate game experience....how long he keeps it is up to him. Similar to how Clemson handled it last year.

ALL the QB should be live Jake can be Roger Staubach when there's no threat of getting hit. Why put the backups in live situations to see who will be second? Even out the playing field and give everybody a fair shot...oh sorry we don't do that. That's for teams with real competing.

ALL the QB should be live Jake can be Roger Staubach when there's no threat of getting hit. Why put the backups in live situations to see who will be second? Even out the playing field and give everybody a fair shot...oh sorry we don't do that. That's for teams with real competing.
One reason....to show the fans what the coaches see in practice. It may let you know why they aren't playing.

Dak running and zipping the ball all over the field. He needs to make his case for QB this Saturday. If he doesn't move the needle- he will likely never play QB for South Carolina.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
That's true but how does that make Jake get any better? It could also work in reverse and tell why a particular player SHOULD or should NOT be playing if everybody is live.
Everyone already knows what Jake looks like in front of live bullets...he's been doing it for 3 years. For all the others, for most fans it is the fantasy of what another QB would do....when the coaches see how they do in practice day in and day in. This just gives the fans a peek into what the coaches see every day....and may quell some complaints about why so-and-so isn't starting or playing.

Reactions: lawcalcock
I think he starts because he is a senior and the only QB with legitimate game experience....how long he keeps it is up to him. Similar to how Clemson handled it last year.
He definitely starts because hes a senior. As for him losing his position due to a better performance from an underclassman, I'll believe it when I see it.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Disagree! If Jake gets blown up in a scrimmage, we start a QB with zero experience!

Reactions: rogue cock
What have you seen from this staff that makes you believe there is a snowball's chance he loses the job? He has scored 0 points in the last 6 quarts against poor competition and our coaches can't even call it an open competition. Hell they plain out say it's a battle for #2 and risk unnecessary injury to the backups. The taters have a NC winning qb and still say it's an open competition. We all know it's a lie but they still try to give there guys hope. The best our guys can hope for is playing if Jake goes down. Sorry don't mean to come at you but can't understand any of this situation.

What have you seen from this staff that makes you believe there is a snowball's chance he loses the job? He has scored 0 points in the last 6 quarts against poor competition and our coaches can't even call it an open competition. Hell they plain out say it's a battle for #2 and risk unnecessary injury to the backups. The taters have a NC winning qb and still say it's an open competition. We all know it's a lie but they still try to give there guys hope. The best our guys can hope for is playing if Jake goes down. Sorry don't mean to come at you but can't understand any of this situation.
Dan Werner never hesitated to jerk a QB at Ole Miss....IF he had one capable of playing. And he had some damned good ones.

Even Muschamp at UF never hesitated to pull a QB and try a different one....difference is they had actual competition for the position.

To your first point. Didn't we have something to do with that? Florida, Georgia and Tennessee used to come cherry pick the top talent in our state. But we were slowly keeping the Lattimores, Gilmores and Clowneys home. These guys were difference makers. And now they were playing for us.

To your second point, I totally agree that it's time for Muschamp to prove he can beat ranked teams. That Tennessee win was big at the time. But considering the way they fell off a cliff right after that, it feels like the shine's worn off of that victory.

Had some to do with it but not all of it. UT was on decline before that. UF has become a disaster under Meyer playing a TE (Jordan Reed) at QB with Brantley. Jeffery was going to So Cal, Gilmore and Holloman to Clemson, Lattimore’s 2nd was Auburn. Not sure what Clowney would’ve done...likely not us. He considered Alabama and Clemson. Wasn’t like we kept those guys from Tennessee, UGA, or UF. But, yes, we did get better. Still, we didn’t peak until UT was far from their powerhouse status and until Meyer lost all control at UF.

But not stating the reasons...just that, since the “Orange Crush” days, our schedule hasn’t been near as difficult as this upcoming season. 2010 was difficult with Alabama and Auburn. Had a difficult 3 game stretch in 2012 with UGA, @ LSU and @ Florida. But overall, this is by far the most difficult schedule we’ve had in a long time. And the context is that our fans know how difficult this schedule is...they’ve tempered their expectations based off that and last season’s results. That combo has led to less hype around Spring this year. Could also throw in the fact that Clemson is coming off their 2nd Title season in 3 years. All of it contributes.

I can’t recall a season where we played the 3 best teams in the country and over the past 2 seasons that’s what Clemson, Bama, and UGA have been, and should be this season. Can’t imagine any of those 3 not living up to their hype.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT