ADVERTISEMENT

What did you think of Joyner?

OldWiseCock

Apr 3, 2019
Columbia
I know it was against Mizzo's second team and they were not rushing him that hard late in the game, but he did make some throws. Should he get more time in the passing game?

Honestly, I think RH was playing hurt and it affected his throwing. But it looks to me like we have 2 pretty decent QBs. (We are just not executing correctly.)

Reactions: howard13
I think QB is his best position. Doesn't have the straight line speed for WR. I do like getting him some plays at WR because of his lateral quickness.

At QB I think his biggest problem is how much he has to wind up to throw it. Just not strong enough yet. Hilinski can just flick and it's gone. I agree the elbow injury greatly impacted Hilinski. Was obvious in his first two starts, and his high school tape for that matter, that he's extremely talented. Only way a sore elbow gets better is rest or Ostarine.

Joyner is a phenomenal athlete. Needs to find his role as a slot, corner, or somewhere his speed can be used well. He was given every chance over about two years to prove himself at the QB position. Couldn't get it done. But USC promised him a shot at QB during recruiting process to land him. Landing him was considered a coup, as he had offers from some elite programs. But there was a reason none of these schools were offering him as a QB. He can run. And he has a good arm. But there is a lot more to playing QB than just having those skills.

Really with the staff we have it's hard to evaluate anyone from game to game. You see no growth from players which a good Coaching staffs get. The right staff Joyner could be utilized along with Feaster, Dowdle, Edwards but this system is so broken you just get glimpses of guys talents instead.

I think we essentially used 2 scholarships on QB’s and will get no decent return on them. If Joyner beat out Urich what does that say about the decision to sign both at QB? I understand a concession was made because we wanted Dak in the program period. And this is in no way an attack on either of them personally. By all accounts they are great young men and athletes! I hope both can contribute. But QB’s, at this level, they are not. And the decision was made in some recruiting room to offer both. Is it because it’s the best we can get? Or is some recruiter seeing something on tape that certainly doesn’t translate to the D1 football field?
Joyner will get better but there’s some obvious limitations that opposing coordinators will exploit.

Reactions: ConKreteCock
Actually, I think Joyner's arm strength (lack of in comparison to Hilinski) is what is preventing him from getting reps at QB. We have a small sample size. However, you could tell that he can see the field and he made the proper reads. His throws were a little low though and he seemed to have to load up to get it there. With that said, I would like the staff to give him the full offense if they put him in the game instead of the run packages they always gave him before that last drive. Joyner could at least be a Syvelle Newton change of pace at QB if given the reps. You can win games with that in the SEC. Heck, Auburn went to the National Championship with a converted DB at QB.

Last edited:
He should start next week. Nobody here knows if he can play QB and I don’t think this staff can evaluate him (or anyone else). Let RH heal up and decompress. This season is over and I think he deserves a look.

Guy could be the second coming of Deshawn Watson and this staff would leave him on the bench.

Reactions: USCrown
I know it was against Mizzo's second team and they were not rushing him that hard late in the game, but he did make some throws. Should he get more time in the passing game?

Honestly, I think RH was playing hurt and it affected his throwing. But it looks to me like we have 2 pretty decent QBs. (We are just not executing correctly.)

Definitely has potential with that mobility.

As one of the announcers pointed out yesterday, his throws right now are all arm. He's not stepping in and generating strength w/ body.

That's totally fixable - just not sure if we have someone to fix it.

Reactions: howard13
I wouldn’t be surprised if Joyner is playing CB in Tuscaloosa or somewhere else next year . He’s been a great teammate this year and done all that was asked but I don’t see him switching position to play for a sinking ship when he can do it at a contender . Wouldn’t surprise me .

We are not a winning program historically and we will not win here this year. If Muschamp is truly interested in saving his job, he has to have the courage of trying everything. We are always looking for the John Elway type QB with the big arm and don't have the pedigree as a program to get that type of QB. You have to be creative and be willing to try a guy like Joyner at QB if necessary. If programs like Alabama (Blake Sims) and Auburn can do it, who are we to snub our noses at any type of QB playing. It would probably at least open up our running game a little bit if we want to stick with the zone read as our primary means of running the ball. If we want a pocket passer, we need to get in four wides for the most part and sling it around.

Last edited:
It's pretty clear he doesn't have the arm strength to play QB in D-1. He was a running back playing QB in high school.

It's a given that Hilinski has the better arm strength of the two. However, Hilinski cannot spot teams two touchdowns with bad decisions like he did yesterday. If he is going to do that, I am willing to try a walk-on at QB if he is not going to protect the ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: broken_cock_
Are some of our posters just ignorant? Who knows if Joyner can be effective or not. His throwing motion doesn’t look great but he only got to throw the ball while we’re down 20 points to a freaking average Missouri team. The team that laid its ears back and pressured him because they knew we had to throw. Missouri also knew he would have to throw short quick passes because they were blitzing him and had the short routes covered. It’s pretty hard for a guy to play quarterback for a few snaps, then run out to the receiver spot and be a wide receiver. If Ryan is hurt, I’d rather let him sit and go with Joyner. There is a big difference between the threat of a run or a pass, than simply a pass.

So whether he can be effective remains to be seen. But we need to find out and put it to bed one way or another.

Honestly what very little I saw him play told me exactly why every other school wanted him at cornerback. I don't think he is a power 5 D1 qb. I just don't see it. Very slow release as if he has to wind up before throwing. Very bad footwork. Threw flat footed multiple times. I just don't see it

At this point, what do we have to lose playing Dak? The kid passed for nearly 10,000 yds in high school, scored a ridiculous amount of TDs both running and throwing, was named Mr. Football, Gatorade player of the year, participated in the Elite 11 finals, and took his team to the State Championship. He was 40-3 as a starter. He's confident and he's been a winner, all positives for the QB position.

If Ryan is hurt or not performing well, then by all means Joyner and any other QB on our roster deserves a shot. Just like any other position, next man up. It was absolutely a head scratcher watching us go 3 and out every possession, and not doing anything differently to try to win the game. Ryan was obviously off. Joyner should have been given a legit chance to run the offense while we still had a shot to win the game.

Whether or not he would be successful is just speculation at this point as he has not been given a real opportunity to run our offense.

Joyner is a phenomenal athlete. Needs to find his role as a slot, corner, or somewhere his speed can be used well. He was given every chance over about two years to prove himself at the QB position. Couldn't get it done. But USC promised him a shot at QB during recruiting process to land him. Landing him was considered a coup, as he had offers from some elite programs. But there was a reason none of these schools were offering him as a QB. He can run. And he has a good arm. But there is a lot more to playing QB than just having those skills.

Spot on!
The problem is WM staff made promises to Dak they knew they couldn't keep. Now, the Gamecocks have a precarious QB position, and have to keep DK at QB, at this point.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
It's a given that Hilinski has the better arm strength of the two. However, Hilinski cannot spot teams two touchdowns with bad decisions like he did yesterday. If he is going to do that, I am willing to try a walk-on at QB if he is not going to protect the ball.

Agreed, but O-line protection for QB would be nice, or plays that counter the poor O-line coaching and schemes.

Honestly what very little I saw him play told me exactly why every other school wanted him at cornerback. I don't think he is a power 5 D1 qb. I just don't see it. Very slow release as if he has to wind up before throwing. Very bad footwork. Threw flat footed multiple times. I just don't see it
Watch it...they'll attack you for saying that.

Reactions: broken_cock_
Spot on!
The problem is WM staff made promises to Dak they knew they couldn't keep. Now, the Gamecocks have a precarious QB position, and have to keep DK at QB, at this point.

I didn’t know you were there in the living room when Joyner was being recruited. Tell us moreEyeroll

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT