ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to the Carolina Basketball program???

Because you are old and not able to form an opinion without the help of medication.

In all seriousness, this is a dumb argument. USC basketball is a really hard job and Frank is doing as well as anyone could

You’re typical millennial, have an opinion without being there then telling other people what they should think.
In all seriousness, I agree Frank is doing a good job.

You’re typical millennial, have an opinion without being there then telling other people what they should think.
In all seriousness, I agree Frank is doing a good job.

I am just kidding with you about being old. I do think our elite standards differ a little. Elite means NCs to me and to you it apparently doesn't.

I just think the program lags behind the better ones in the SEC and has too many elite programs around it like UNC and Duke. Even NCSU is a much better basketball school as is Wake.

I am just kidding with you about being old. I do think our elite standards differ a little. Elite means NCs to me and to you it apparently doesn't.

I just think the program lags behind the better ones in the SEC and has too many elite programs around it like UNC and Duke. Even NCSU is a much better basketball school as is Wake.
There’s another common misconception that being close to other elite teams somehow negatively affects us.

A ton of mid majors have more talent than a ton of p5 schools mid majors in basketball are often on a very similar playing field as p5 schools our facilities and woffords are not vastly different and schools like witchita state have better

I have seen both SC's and Woffords facilities and what you say is not accurate. At all.

I have seen both SC's and Woffords facilities and what you say is not accurate. At all.
Have you been since they opened the stadium three years ago? And compared it to where our team practices?

remember our team is one of the rare college basketball teams that doesn’t routinely practice in their home court, huge disadvantage

Reactions: caughtlookin
The CLA has also been around for 20 years.
For sure but I really just don’t like it’s size it makes 5k seem like 200 people

However when there is a legit 13k there the place is insane

I think fans underestimate how recruits would react to that place brimming night in night out

He's doing as well as anyone has in 45 years.

That's because SC is not committed to winning athletics. Been that way for years. If you want to win you better get a better Coach than Frank Martin or we can continue with the mediocre standard we have had. He is no better than Odom did you want to keep him?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
That's because SC is not committed to winning athletics. Been that way for years. If you want to win you better get a better Coach than Frank Martin or we can continue with the mediocre standard we have had. He is no better than Odom did you want to keep him?

Well he's miles better than Dave Odom, but whatever you say buddy.

Y’all can want Frank gone without making things up

Winning seasons in the SEC:

Frank Martin: 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020
Dave Odom: 0

The SEC has been terrible the last decade.

I firmly believe Frank is a good coach but he can't recruit well enough to compete. If he could finish top 7-8 in SEC in recruiting we'd be a force. Instead we're the least talented team in the league most years and are usually still a tough out. But it doesn't change the fact that Dave Odom had a better overall winning percentage (albeit very slightly) and nobody would be arguing for keeping Odom. It's pretty obvious the fan base is ready to move on and delaying the inevitable split is only going to keep hurting the program.

I firmly believe Frank is a good coach but he can't recruit well enough to compete. If he could finish top 7-8 in SEC in recruiting we'd be a force. Instead we're the least talented team in the league most years and are usually still a tough out. But it doesn't change the fact that Dave Odom had a better overall winning percentage (albeit very slightly) and nobody would be arguing for keeping Odom. It's pretty obvious the fan base is ready to move on and delaying the inevitable split is only going to keep hurting the program.

Dave Odom was notorious for scheduling cupcakes in December, starting 12-0 and missing the tournament.

Reactions: caughtlookin

The SEC is probably the strongest it has ever been in basketball

Martin failed to capitalize on the FF run. You want butts in the seats, recruit basketball players, not just athletes playing basketball. A better product on the floor will bring tickets holders. See Dawn Staley and WBB success as a glaring example! We have a few players that could play for other schools, and a lot that would be bench warmers. No point guard and no presence in the paint. Not going to mention names, but projects developing into SEC players after three years in the program hasn’t been a great formula for consistency and quality basketball.

Dave Odom was notorious for scheduling cupcakes in December, starting 12-0 and missing the tournament.

An undefeated December is better than the now-common December losses to the likes of Stetson, Stoney Brook, et al. And just for good measure, we've also managed to lose a trio of games late in the season to bad teams like UGA when we need to win just one to get over the hump and into the tourney. We've been bad at both ends of the schedule with CFM.

CFM was a name coach that we all felt fortunate to hire almost a decade ago. I think he left his name in KS, however, because he has been no better than Dandy Dave Odom since he's been in Columbia. We are paying big bucks for very pedestrian results. There really isn't a different way to spin it.

After making it to the final four, we fell off the cliff again after climbing up for years...

Is it the coaching from Frank? Assistant coaches problems? Players who think they are good and end up falling on their faces?

Just trying to put a finger on this basketball program that should have taken step up moving up after that great run...

I think we could have hired George Glymph after George Felton was fired....

Maybe a we should hire a good local high school coach and rebuild this program with local players???
Same problem that we have had ever since we left the ACC. It's hard to recruit players to come play for USC. This has been going on since before McGuire even retired. Even he struggled to recruit here. After Alex English graduated, Frank went 61-47 over his last 4 seasons. With the exception of 2 really good years under Fogler and the Final 4 run with Frank Martin we've been mostly pedestrian and in some cases plain horrible (Newton and Horn)

Its the truth. Look at Odoms record while here and compare to FM's. They are almost identical.
Frank fans like to cover it up by shifting the focus to conference record, but if you don’t make the dance what does Conference record matter? Dave Odom, 1 tournament appearance. Frank Martin, one tournament appearance. The only big difference is Martin’s results when he got there.

Frank fans like to cover it up by shifting the focus to conference record, but if you don’t make the dance what does Conference record matter? Dave Odom, 1 tournament appearance. Frank Martin, one tournament appearance. The only big difference is Martin’s results when he got there.
It matters because it’s good basketball and fun to watch. Winning in conference is very respectable, don’t downplay that.

Reactions: funktavious
It matters because it’s good basketball and fun to watch. Winning in conference is very respectable, don’t downplay that.
Decision makers didn’t even think it was NIT worthy most years so I think it says the SEC is not really respected in Basketball. We got left home one year with an 11-7 Conference record and we deserved to as we lost to Georgia 3 times in the span of a month. Yay, we are good competitors.

Illinois State
Wyoming
Stony Brook
Stetson
Boston University
....and yes, I am counting that exhibition game we lost to Augusta College. Liberty and Temple should count, but I will give them a pass on those. Finally, two blowout losses to bad Vanderbilt teams.

Do you have the NET rankings for those games?

Its the truth. Look at Odoms record while here and compare to FM's. They are almost identical.
Let’s see who Dave Odom walked into the job with - a roster full of jr and sr with two future nba players

Martin walked into... uh... hm

Do you have the NET rankings for those games?
Stop, non of those teams I named sniffed the tournament. Not even close. I left games like Northern Iowa and Wofford out because their NET was high. We still should be beating those teams and we definitely shouldn’t get blown out by 20 by a private in-state school ever. People want to laud Martin holding players accountable. However, the fanbase is always to be soft to the tough guy and understand. I am taking a page out of the coaches book. He’s not getting it done. I am sure he doesn’t want to here about “almost” from his players. I almost made that rotation. I almost cut my man off. I almost blocked out my man. So, we need to stop making almost excuses for a coach that is not getting it done.

Stop, non of those teams I named sniffed the tournament. Not even close. I left games like Northern Iowa and Wofford out because their NET was high. We still should be beating those teams and we definitely shouldn’t get blown out by 20 by a private in-state school ever. People want to laud Martin holding players accountable. However, the fanbase is always to be soft to the tough guy and understand. I am taking a page out of the coaches book. He’s not getting it done. I am sure he doesn’t want to here about “almost” from his players. I almost made that rotation. I almost cut my man off. I almost blocked out my man. So, we need to stop making almost excuses for a coach that is not getting it done.

You're actually wrong.
Boston University earned an automatic bid that year.

Liberty just came off a 30 win season.
Temple beat Mississippi State and Wichita State that same year.
Stony Brook won 24 games.
Illinois State was solid that year with wins over Tulsa, Ole Miss, and Valparaiso.

I'll concede Stetson and Wyoming. But the others are only cupcakes because you don't recognize their names.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT