ADVERTISEMENT

what if?

gamecockox

Sep 20, 2007
Have you ever wondered what would have happened if it had been Clemson that left the ACC and not us. I think our basketball and football programs actually suffered after the left the conference. I love being in the SEC now but it seems much of Clemson's success especially in regards to us has occured after we left the ACC!

Biggest "what if" revolves around our basketball program. We might have been a blue blood & had numerous Final Fours & a title or 2 by now.

I believe so too. All the momentum that frank had built in basketball was squandered by leaving the ACC. If we look at things objectively can anyone say the 70's , 80's and 90's were a success in football. Joining the sec helped us close the gap that clemson had built during those decades and have the five year period of success but Clemson has now nullified that success and is now far superior. As i said i love being in the SEC now and would not want that to change for anything. That being said what we give up by leaving the ACC compared to the lack of any perceivable gains we received before joining the SEC makes me think it was a huge mistake.

I believe so too. All the momentum that frank had built in basketball was squandered by leaving the ACC. If we look at things objectively can anyone say the 70's , 80's and 90's were a success in football. Joining the sec helped us close the gap that clemson had built during those decades and have the five year period of success but Clemson has now nullified that success and is now far superior. As i said i love being in the SEC now and would not want that to change for anything. That being said what we give up by leaving the ACC compared to the lack of any perceivable gains we received before joining the SEC makes me think it was a huge mistake.

The gains AFTER joining the SEC negate any negatives during our Independent years. If we'd stayed in the ACC, we'd still be behind Clemsux because they would be enjoying the fruits of the SEC tree. You have to look at it from that view.

I was too young at the time to know all the details about leaving the ACC but from my understanding we were being totally screwed by the NC schools as far as recruiting. It would've gotten worse if we had stayed.

It's all hindsight now but sure, we took our lumps for a while. Eventually we joined the Metro conference and had some success there. Football stayed independent but that allowed us to schedule anybody we wanted. After 10 years away from the ACC we had some great football years in the 80s and I think that, along with what we accomplished in other sports in the Metro had us in a good position to join a big conference when the Metro folded. Wasn't there talk at that point of re-joining the ACC?

Here's maybe a bigger question as far as trading places with Clemson (who was supposed to leave the ACC along with us but backed out at the last minute)... Would you want USC to be in their position right now? I mean, would you be ok with having a national championship in football if it meant we were still in the ACC?

I was too young at the time to know all the details about leaving the ACC but from my understanding we were being totally screwed by the NC schools as far as recruiting. It would've gotten worse if we had stayed.

It's all hindsight now but sure, we took our lumps for a while. Eventually we joined the Metro conference and had some success there. Football stayed independent but that allowed us to schedule anybody we wanted. After 10 years away from the ACC we had some great football years in the 80s and I think that, along with what we accomplished in other sports in the Metro had us in a good position to join a big conference when the Metro folded. Wasn't there talk at that point of re-joining the ACC?

Here's maybe a bigger question as far as trading places with Clemson (who was supposed to leave the ACC along with us but backed out at the last minute)... Would you want USC to be in their position right now? I mean, would you be ok with having a national championship in football if it meant we were still in the ACC?
The ACC lowered the SAT requirements to put the ACC on equal footing from a competitive standpoint with other conferences a year or two after we left. It was almost like a slap in the face to USC at that point.

I seriously doubt had we had known of the change, we would've left.

The gains AFTER joining the SEC negate any negatives during our Independent years. If we'd stayed in the ACC, we'd still be behind Clemsux because they would be enjoying the fruits of the SEC tree. You have to look at it from that view.

I agree, for the most part. The only caveat I would add is that we haven't lost to an ACC team in football, besides Clemson, since Florida State in 2010. And besides that game I can't even remember another loss to an ACC team other than Clemson. My point it that we could possibly be backdooring our way into the playoff like Clemson is now, if we had stayed in the ACC. Regardless, I still wouldn't have decided to stay.

We would have been 1987 ACC Champions in football for one!

Last edited:
The ACC lowered the SAT requirements to put the ACC on equal footing from a competitive standpoint with other conferences a year or two after we left. It was almost like a slap in the face to USC at that point.

I seriously doubt had we had known of the change, we would've left.
The SAT requirements were lowered due to a court order that had nothing do with us.

Bad timing and bad blood may have made it felt like a slap in the face, although it certainly wasn't.

Reactions: Golden Cock

If we were going to "trade places" with a school, I would pick Georgia Tech. Each school goes back to a conference of which they were charter members.

The Metro Conference was started by southern independents (Georgia Tech was among them). They purposely did not include football in the list of sponsored sports. When we were in the league, all members did sponsor football, but nobody wanted to share gridiron revenues.

One of the proposed "positives" for leaving the ACC was that we would not have to share revenues from TV, etc. This, of course, ignores the fact that other ACC schools would have to share their TV revenues with us. Now I don't know whether there was a net gain/loss of dollars of sharing vs non-sharing, but the conference exposure would make up for the loss.

What's our share of the revenue generated by the recent Bama/Dawg matchup in Mercedes Benz Stadium?

Last edited:
Have you ever wondered what would have happened if it had been Clemson that left the ACC and not us. I think our basketball and football programs actually suffered after the left the conference. I love being in the SEC now but it seems much of Clemson's success especially in regards to us has occured after we left the ACC!
How did football suffer? I don't see how. Please show me what I'm missing (seriously, no sarcasm).

Hoops for sure suffered. I wonder though, if our former ACC brethren had continued to schedule us regularly (maybe only once a season, or once every 2-3 years) how we would have done. I think the decline would still have happened, but it would have been slower.

Do a web search on Mike Grosso and McGuire's recruitment of him.
USC was in the middle of a feud between Dook AD Eddie Cameron and McGuire.

Clemron did not "back out". Cooler heads in the upstate prevailed. Their "wait and see" attitude proved prudent and wise.

There was talk about us rejoining in the mid 70s but the BOT never did formally reapply.

I read that in the early 2000s when the ACC was busy poaching the Big East, they made informal inquiries to us about rejoining. Unfortunately, those inquiries were 20 years too late.

With all the conference realignment I think we still might have ended up in the SEC eventually. Even if Clemson had joined instead of us, I think we'd have gotten in over a Missouri.

Leaving the ACC hurt basketball badly becaause it created scheduling problems. There was no conference schedule, so we were playing midweek games against Stetson, etc. The Notre Dames and Marquetes were few and far between. TV in state, yeah. National exposure? None. The lag time between joining the Metro was a huge downward slide

In football, we got exposure playing UGA, FSU and Clemson almost every year. We also were able to schedule heavy hitters like Pitt, Nebraska, Miami, Notre Dame, Michigan, Southern Cal, etc while keeping a core of games against "local" teams like NC State, Wake, GaTech, ECU etc. There were lots of independents like us. It was an upward move from the ACC of those days.

Demographically, this makes sense. However, if the goal is to expand TV markets, adding a second member from SC doesn't help much.
They could have locked up one of the most intense rivalries in college sports. Plus make it a conference game and whoa baby. You'd have a game as intense as the Iron Bowl that would have had conference significance with it. It would be bigger than it is now.

Leaving the ACC is the best move we have ever made. Schools will not even consider leaving the SEC but the ACC had to put a buy out on anyone trying to leave the conference to try to keep them in the conference. I don't remember the exact amount but it is huge.

The SAT requirements were lowered due to a court order that had nothing do with us.

Bad timing and bad blood may have made it felt like a slap in the face, although it certainly wasn't.
I have never heard that it was a court order that resulted in the ACC lowering it's SAT requirements. What was the basis for the lawsuit?

They could have locked up one of the most intense rivalries in college sports. Plus make it a conference game and whoa baby. You'd have a game as intense as the Iron Bowl that would have had conference significance with it. It would be bigger than it is now.

Clemson would have blocked us from entering the SEC just like we would block them or Florida would block FSU.

Reactions: rogue cock
Jeez, people, we have GOT to be the only fan base in the SEC that has this discussion several times a year. Would the 70s and 80s have been better in the ACC than as an independent? Perhaps, but who cares at this point? I care a whole lot more at this point about 2018 through 2040 than I do about stuff that could have been in 1978 or 1986. Freaking get over it and enjoy the fact that we're in the best conference in America and winning national championships for the first time in the 120+ years of Gamecock athletics.

Do a web search on Mike Grosso and McGuire's recruitment of him.
USC was in the middle of a feud between Dook AD Eddie Cameron and McGuire.

Clemron did not "back out". Cooler heads in the upstate prevailed. Their "wait and see" attitude proved prudent and wise.

There was talk about us rejoining in the mid 70s but the BOT never did formally reapply.

I read that in the early 2000s when the ACC was busy poaching the Big East, they made informal inquiries to us about rejoining. Unfortunately, those inquiries were 20 years too late.
Clemson did back out, and it was well known at the time. it had nothing to do with cooler heads and wait and see.

Jeez, people, we have GOT to be the only fan base in the SEC that has this discussion several times a year. Would the 70s and 80s have been better in the ACC than as an independent? Perhaps, but who cares at this point? I care a whole lot more at this point about 2018 through 2040 than I do about stuff that could have been in 1978 or 1986. Freaking get over it and enjoy the fact that we're in the best conference in America and winning national championships for the first time in the 120+ years of Gamecock athletics.

ub dealin' w/ people who wern't even born then..... much less have any sense of history

Would I be OK with us being in the ACC in Clemzun’s position? IOW- made three consecutive playoffs, won it all last year, multiple conference titles, multiple BCS bowls prio to the playoffs... woukd it be worth giving up being in the SEC to be in that position? Is this the question?

HELL YES.

Are you freaking kidding me?!?? Is it better to be some mediocre “also ran” in the best conference or to be among the best team in your conference and inenof the best teams in The nation in the second best conference?? Is this seriously a question or something anyone would heaitate about?

Would I be OK with us being in the ACC in Clemzun’s position? IOW- made three consecutive playoffs, won it all last year, multiple conference titles, multiple BCS bowls prio to the playoffs... woukd it be worth giving up being in the SEC to be in that position? Is this the question?

HELL YES.

Are you freaking kidding me?!?? Is it better to be some mediocre “also ran” in the best conference or to be among the best team in your conference and inenof the best teams in The nation in the second best conference?? Is this seriously a question or something anyone would heaitate about?
Total BS. WADR of course!! From an overall standpoint that considers/evaluates what's best for our University from our Athletic Department perspective, it's The SEC BY FAR!!! And I do mean from an overall and all conclusive POV or opinion.

I mean the facts are, it's a helluva lot better for WBB to be National and SEC Champions than it would be, and I do mean BY FAR, for our ladies to simply substitute SEC Champs with acc champs. The same can be said for our Baseball & Basket ball teams, sans the National title in regards to Basketball.

Football!?? Do you really think we'd be better off in the acc than The SEC?? Even though our highest achievement to date is merely The SEC East Champs, I'd honestly rather have that than acc champs. From a financial perspective, well I'll tell ya what, the next time you're close to WillyB, just scan the entire area and take it all in. If you happen to think we could've achieved the same had we stayed in the acc, well you and I will simply have to agree to disagree. Fact is, had we unfortunately remained in the acc, the best we'd most likely had achieved to date would be similar to unc, with perhaps as Rodney previously mentioned, the 79, 84 and 87 conference champs.

In regards to Basketball, I fully admit that leaving the acc most negatively affected that part of our athletic department BY FAR!! Thing is, right now we are in a very damned fine position to get 'em right back, in fact moreso, to a level of legitimacy, importance and overall respect than we could have previously achieved long term in the acc.

In closing, where we are right now and what our goal is in regards to overall conference champions is one helluva lot more admirable and respected goal than it would be had we remained where we were. Fact is, and though they'll NEVER openly admit it, if FSU was given the theoretical chance to go back in time, why I assure you their choice would have been The SEC as opposed to where they are now.

If UM can respectfully get back to where they were back in the 80's and 90's, then the acc will without a doubt become a better conference overall. The bottom line is that FSU gave us a dream opportunity!! The vast majority have sincerely appreciated such!! Fact is, we've now been in The SEC longer than we were in the acc. As time goes on, we simply continue to become an even better fit for the conference we're in. There are, with all due respect, a few old timers that wish we'd had stayed. Fact is, the vast majority are glad we eased out as we did!!! In fact, had Clem's son had it to do over again, I seriously doubt they'd stay. Point being that they'd gladly trade places with us right now in a heart beat!!

Peace, Out.

I believe our football team is consistently better than we were when in the ACC. Don't confuse the word "better" with a W-L record. As one poster said above, our record against ACC schools over the past 10 years is awesome....eve with Clemson winning 5 of the past 10.

Total BS. WADR of course!! From an overall standpoint that considers/evaluates what's best for our University from our Athletic Department perspective, it's The SEC BY FAR!!! And I do mean from an overall and all conclusive POV or opinion.

I mean the facts are, it's a helluva lot better for WBB to be National and SEC Champions than it would be, and I do mean BY FAR, for our ladies to simply substitute SEC Champs with acc champs. The same can be said for our Baseball & Basket ball teams, sans the National title in regards to Basketball.

Football!?? Do you really think we'd be better off in the acc than The SEC?? Even though our highest achievement to date is merely The SEC East Champs, I'd honestly rather have that than acc champs. From a financial perspective, well I'll tell ya what, the next time you're close to WillyB, just scan the entire area and take it all in. If you happen to think we could've achieved the same had we stayed in the acc, well you and I will simply have to agree to disagree. Fact is, had we unfortunately remained in the acc, the best we'd most likely had achieved to date would be similar to unc, with perhaps as Rodney previously mentioned, the 79, 84 and 87 conference champs.

In regards to Basketball, I fully admit that leaving the acc most negatively affected that part of our athletic department BY FAR!! Thing is, right now we are in a very damned fine position to get 'em right back, in fact moreso, to a level of legitimacy, importance and overall respect than we could have previously achieved long term in the acc.

In closing, where we are right now and what our goal is in regards to overall conference champions is one helluva lot more admirable and respected goal than it would be had we remained where we were. Fact is, and though they'll NEVER openly admit it, if FSU was given the theoretical chance to go back in time, why I assure you their choice would have been The SEC as opposed to where they are now.

If UM can respectfully get back to where they were back in the 80's and 90's, then the acc will without a doubt become a better conference overall. The bottom line is that FSU gave us a dream opportunity!! The vast majority have sincerely appreciated such!! Fact is, we've now been in The SEC longer than we were in the acc. As time goes on, we simply continue to become an even better fit for the conference we're in. There are, with all due respect, a few old timers that wish we'd had stayed. Fact is, the vast majority are glad we eased out as we did!!! In fact, had Clem's son had it to do over again, I seriously doubt they'd stay. Point being that they'd gladly trade places with us right now in a heart beat!!

Peace, Out.
Revenues aside, we are a better demographic fit for the SEC, and a better geographic fit for the (pre-expansion) ACC.

I guess I'm one of those "old timers". I was age 11 when we bolted the ACC.

In 1971, it was a dumb move to leave the ACC. It would have also been a dumb move to return to the ACC when they checked in with us a dozen years ago.

Having stated all this, I would like for us to play more of our old ACC rivals in more sports. Dawn scheduling Dook & Maryland makes me happy (even though there were no women's varsity sports to speak of in 1971). Frank scheduling UVA for the next two seasons makes me happy (hope he can schedule more in the following years). Football playing the Pack and the Holes now and again is good. Kingston continuing the game against the Holes in Charlotte is also good (like Frank, I would like to see him add more of our old ACC rivals to the annual slates). I think we play Wake regularly in soccer and tennis.

Clemson did back out, and it was well known at the time. it had nothing to do with cooler heads and wait and see.
Well known by many people with chips on their shoulders and too much passion to think logically.

Not that I supported the goals of the Confederate States of America, but from that perspective, the smart southerners (those who were able to put their current passions aside and think logically and long-term) knew that the minute the states seceded, all would be eventually lost. Had they stayed in the Union, they would have had some recourse.

Perhaps the presidents of USC and Clemron should have held a joint news conference announcing that both schools were leaving the league.

For those whose emotions prevented them from seeing the long-term big picture and advocated independence, what difference does it make what Clemron does?

Well known by many people with chips on their shoulders and too much passion to think logically.

Not that I supported the goals of the Confederate States of America, but from that perspective, the smart southerners (those who were able to put their current passions aside and think logically and long-term) knew that the minute the states seceded, all would be eventually lost. Had they stayed in the Union, they would have had some recourse.

Perhaps the presidents of USC and Clemron should have held a joint news conference announcing that both schools were leaving the league.

For those whose emotions prevented them from seeing the long-term big picture and advocated independence, what difference does it make what Clemron does?
That is your OPINION, not fact.

Peace, Out.
None of this mindless drivel has anything at all to do with what I said or what I was replying to! Read the damn posts- The guy asked about whether we would be better off switching places with clemsun refering specifically to football. Any of you asshats out there acting like you would rather be an “also ran” in the SEC than NATIONAL CHAMPIONS in the ACC (with multiple other trips to the playoffs sandwiched around that NC and conference championships..) are either lying or just fn STUPID. Get your head out of your ass, READ an understand what people are actually talking about then reply.

None of this mindless drivel has anything at all to do with what I said or what I was replying to! Read the damn posts- The guy asked about whether we would be better off switching places with clemsun refering specifically to football. Any of you asshats out there acting like you would rather be an “also ran” in the SEC than NATIONAL CHAMPIONS in the ACC (with multiple other trips to the playoffs sandwiched around that NC and conference championships..) are either lying or just fn STUPID. Get your head out of your ass, READ an understand what people are actually talking about then reply.
Sorry I hurt your feelings. Not.

Look lifer, I got nothing against you. All I posted was my reasoning as to why I'm more than pretty damned happy in regards to being in The SEC. To be blatantly honest, if by some strange occurrence I was to awaken at some point in the future and we either have A.) Somehow rejoined the acc, or B.) This entire SEC Concept within my own mind had merely been a dream, well hey, I'm still just as my Username indicates.

In closing, since life's only certainties are death, taxes and people B&M'ing just for the hail of it, it is merely my personal opinion that for our FB, BB, MBB & WBB to actually achieve a National Championship as SEC members that we are, then such not only reflects as a pretty damned admirable accomplishment in general, but also as fairly damned amendable achievement within our conference itself dude (i.e. 2010 Baseball - Carolina vs Florida, 2017 Women's Basketball - Carolina vs Miss. State, and 2017 Football - UGA vs BAMA, and there are several other samples, but I digress).

Have a wonderful day. No hard feelings.

Actually the OP mentions basketball as well. So people expanding to other sports for the sake of arguments pro/con is not outside of the scope of the OP.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT