ADVERTISEMENT

What is the public perception of this football program?

This. Anyone who says your fans are still blindly supporting the program is living in 1999.

In fairness, I don't believe most fan bases will support a losing program anymore by attending the games. Why go spend a ton of money to watch your team lose when you can sit in front of the TV and do it much easier and cheaper? I believe the days of any fan base blindly supporting a losing team are in the past. There will always be the diehards that do but the casual fans won't. That applies to UofSC and every other fan base.

I think you hit one nail on the head -- the cost of being a supporter has gone up and up and up, across college football.

I know some diehards at USC and some other schools who got priced out of supporting the program the way they used to. Just got to the point they reached a ceiling on what they could spend. They're still as loyal as ever in terms of rooting for their teams and following them, they just now do it from home. I think that's one issue CFB across the board will have to deal with sooner rather than later.

That said, most folks I know with no allegiance to USC view the Gamecocks as an average to above average program, but I know some Georgia fans who tell me the Gamecocks scare them as much as anybody in the conference because you never know which Carolina team will show up --

Totally agree . Spurrier terrified every coach in the SEC even during his last two years . That game he called against Auburn in 2014 in the shoot out we lost might have been one of his best coaching performances ever . No matter how bad the talent level was , nobody ever looked at a Spurrier team as a gimme . Until he proves otherwise , Muschamp is still just a really good DC and recruiter . I think these next two years will either catapult or effectively end his head coaching career . Can’t use the schedule as a crutch , it’s the SEC . Everybody’s schedules are brutal . The next two years are make or break . If we flounder the next few years and he’s still here then I have my doubts that this program will ever Be truly relevant again .

What has to change with Muschamp is, he has to stop falling on his face in big time games against big time coaches. Spurrier never had that problem, and beating UF and Tennessee in his first year at Carolina announced that he was still a force. Muschamp needs to beat, at least one of, Saban, Dabo, Jimbo, Kirby, or even Mullen next year to make a statement that he can game plan and game manage with the best of the best. He gets beat by all 5 of those guys next year and it’s another reminder that Muschamp isn’t as smart as he thinks he is, or needs to be, to actually succeed as a head coach.

As a program, we’d played up to Spurrier’s heights. We legitimately became one of the most feared programs in the country with one of the most difficult home stadiums to compete in. As a program, we’ll play right on down to Muschamp’s inadequate management. Ask UF fans how they felt about UF football when Muschamp was running things.

Outsider/Clemson fan point of view. Take it for what its worth.
It is hard not to be behind the 8 ball from the start. Consistently out recruiting Georgia, Florida and Tenn in your own division is going to be hard for ANY program. Not to mention Bama, LSU and A&M. To me that means you have to recruit the best you can and then develop players. Although Clemson has recruited some elite talent, they have also developed some quality depth that may have not been elite recruits. I think there has to be some emphasis put on recruiting more than NC, SC and Georgia as well. It is hard to go in there and out recruit those schools I already mentioned.
You also have to get lucky. There are only a handful of elite coaches in the country. Finding that coach, giving him time to build and then keeping him is an obvious key. I will be the first to admit Clemson got lucky with Dabo but they also gave him time. They have also hired assistant coaches that are high quality but those assistant coaches also fit the exact mold that Clemson is trying to sell.
Finding a program identity and a uniqueness that can be sold is important for any program. If it was easy then everyone would be great. I really thought that there was a 2 year period during Spurrier that Carolina was going to explode.

When Spurrier was the coach you guys were a national brand and no one wanted to see you on the schedule. College football started with you guys on Thursday night and if an elite team overlooked you they got an L. Champ just got smoked by UVA in a crappy bowl and you guys celebrated playing Clemson "close". I don't know why some of you can't see it. He has a history of doing exactly what you are living. Spurrier gave you a glimpse of what is possible and Champ has you irreverent ,fresh off an embarrassing bowl game, staring at 5 wins next year.

We fired Richt because we thought you were going to get Kirby. How can you go from having your eyes on one of the most up and coming coaches to being happy with Champ? Doesn't add up... That's what the rest of the world thinks. We also think Ray was a good baseball coach.

I realy like coming over here and I hope you don't ban me for being honest. Especially since you asked.

How does the public or a recruit view our program? We had a few good years under Spurrior, but so much mediocrity surrounding it's sickening! Clemmons is now the premier football program in the country! Let that sink in. They are #1. Not great. Not upper echelon... THEY ARE THE ALPHA PROGRAM! MAYBE BEST EVER AT THIS POINT!! Why are we stuck sucking exhaust fumes? Is it our traditions, leadership, just bad luck, do our breath stank? I mean come on. Are we doing anything significant to change things or just trying to be content with putting a product on the field so we can drink on Saturdays in the parking lot and buy team gear. Seems the gap is only widening. Is general public perception different?

Gee, you fooled us. We actually thought you were a Gamecock fan. Does Clemsux pay you guys to do this?Eyeroll

When Spurrier was the coach you guys were a national brand and no one wanted to see you on the schedule. College football started with you guys on Thursday night and if an elite team overlooked you they got an L. Champ just got smoked by UVA in a crappy bowl and you guys celebrated playing Clemson "close". I don't know why some of you can't see it. He has a history of doing exactly what you are living. Spurrier gave you a glimpse of what is possible and Champ has you irreverent ,fresh off an embarrassing bowl game, staring at 5 wins next year.

We fired Richt because we thought you were going to get Kirby. How can you go from having your eyes on one of the most up and coming coaches to being happy with Champ? Doesn't add up... That's what the rest of the world thinks. We also think Ray was a good baseball coach.

I realy like coming over here and I hope you don't ban me for being honest. Especially since you asked.
You may get roasted for saying this. But you just dropped a truth bomb. I wish more of our fans could/would see this. If Muschamp goes 0-fer ranked teams yet again next year, it's time to go. No fifth year will have been earned.

Ok, listen up everybody and listen closely. That includes sunshine pumpers, chicken littles, and any other group that frequents this board: 1)get the right kind of A.D and 2) Amanda most importantly, GET THE RIGHT DAMN COACH! who is it for us, I don't know but I know from past history that he is out there. We have and have had the right kind of coach before and that just doesn't apply to football, Ray Tanner leaves a lot to be desired as an AD but was clearly the right guy for baseball(do we have the right guy now, time will tell) Dawn Staley right coach for women's basketball(since 2008 4 or 5 sec regular season titles not sure of the exact number, 4 consecutive sec tournament titles and a national title in 2017, and I get the feeling there is more to come) the biggest YES on this list! Was spurrier the right guy in in 2005 as one poster pointed out earlier, Clemson, UGA, UF and other teams that popped up in our schedule as well used to at the least not sleep well the night before playing us(and some Probably had bowel trouble as well). Now we have Clemson fans and UGA fanscoming on here patting us on the shoulder telling us "keep your head up, you competed well, it's not that bad." Any other fan base in America in any sport or at any level would be demanding the powers that be to fix this or there's ways to put you out of power, and making sure that the decision makers understood that they'd be operating with far less revenue in the future. Not jolly ole USC, we spend money congratulating our #1 rival on winning a national title(don't know if Tanner and the boys did it again in 2018 but wouldn't be surprised if they did) most self-respecting rivals would be plotting the steps to answer that title with one of their own in the coming years as well as how do we turn this rivalry back in our favor. Not USC. When we lose to Bama at WB by 5 touchdowns, Clemson at WB by 5 touchdowns, Florida at WB by 3 touchdowns, and UGA in Athens by 3-4 touchdowns champ should by shown the door and booted out on his rear end, but sadly he'll probably get a contract extension. I thought I would be pissed when Clemson won the title again in 2018(combined with the belk bowl blunder) but sadly it didn't upset me like I thought it would. How can you be upset when you realize the people who are supposed to care about such things really don't.

The worst loss of all is the loss of hope and feeling of apathy, I'm there!

Ray focused his airtime during the spring game entirely on the new practice facility. Cracking jokes about the players having their own barbershop. Nothing much to discuss regarding on-the field results. He's basically a university PR guy that gets paid $1 million a year.

Reactions: FightinRooster

This X100. Anyone who doesn’t agree with this poster is in complete denial.

We are perceived as middle of the road SEC team, with no historical significance. We hired a coach that was unable to win with team that won 2 national titles within 5 years of his hire and has been deemed a great coordinator but not head coach.

He also rehired an OC that he failed with at UF and tried that for two years, then to hire an unproven coordinator, to make his 5th OC in less than 10 years as a HC. I think the shine of him as a magical recruiter is also wearing out, because he recruited at programs such as LSU, Florida and Texas, recruiting at USC has been a different animal, not breaking free of the middle to lower tier SEC recruiting. He also has 1 win against a ranked team in 3 seasons, and has yet to beat UGA, Clemson, Texas A and M, and Kentucky in his time at USC.

But he sure does work hard.

Nailed it.

We are perceived as middle of the road SEC team, with no historical significance. We hired a coach that was unable to win with team that won 2 national titles within 5 years of his hire and has been deemed a great coordinator but not head coach.

He also rehired an OC that he failed with at UF and tried that for two years, then to hire an unproven coordinator, to make his 5th OC in less than 10 years as a HC. I think the shine of him as a magical recruiter is also wearing out, because he recruited at programs such as LSU, Florida and Texas, recruiting at USC has been a different animal, not breaking free of the middle to lower tier SEC recruiting. He also has 1 win against a ranked team in 3 seasons, and has yet to beat UGA, Clemson, Texas A and M, and Kentucky in his time at USC.

This ALL day long!!

This is beating a dead horse but the problem is us . We will blindly support and spend tons of cash regardless of the product on the field . We brag about being the best, most loyal fan base in the country but in all honesty it’s a detriment . Watch what happens if Bama goes 7-5 or 8-4 a few years . I’ve been to games in Tuscaloosa and Gainesville when the programs were down . People will stay home . Losing is not an option . Hell look at FSU . They had nearly 50,000 at their spring game last year , this year it may have been less than 20,000 . We sold out every game during 0-11 and 3-9 years . This happens NOWHERE else in the country but Columbia SC . I’m as guilty as anybody unfortunately. Every year I swear that I’m gonna spend every Sat in the fall in the woods or the water but every Sat I’m screaming at my TV . It’s a cruel curse unfortunately. Why would the BOT and admins bother to make tough decisions if they know the dollars will keep rolling in and their jobs are safe regardless of results ?? That’s the problem .
One could say, and they did, that Dabo should have been fired while we spanked them 5 straight. No easy answers.

Ray focused his airtime during the spring game entirely on the new practice facility. Cracking jokes about the players having their own barbershop. Nothing much to discuss regarding on-the field results. He's basically a university PR guy that gets paid $1 million a year.
Because things like making sure the practice facility, the football operations center, and the renovations to CLA are squarely within his job description. It's not his job to discuss the spring game, that is for the coaches. Haven't heard a peep from Radikovich regarding Clemson's spring game....that's the type of AD you want, right? One like Radikovich, who makes no comments regarding anything team related.

Going to BCS bowl games and 10 win seasons during our ass whipping of them. We get punked by UVA in a bowl game. Yes they had some ugly with it (WVU), but not this.
I get that. I really do. But they have a tie-in with that bowl. I submit that we could have won the ACC a time or two during that period, but, being in the SEC we couldn't go to the Orange Bowl. It wasn't our fault they were the biggest midget in the ACC at the time. It's not their fault we play in the SEC. Kinda apples and oranges. But I know you get nowhere replacing a coach every three years either.

One could say, and they did, that Dabo should have been fired while we spanked them 5 straight. No easy answers.

There were certainly rumblings . What saved Dabo is his squads were still 10 win teams that lost to us and they won most of their bowl games against higher ranked opponents . If not for this he would be selling insurance in Loxley Alabama . Unfortunately Champs tenure at UF will haunt him until he breaks thru . He will not get the leeway a Spurrier or Holtz because they had hall of fame resumes . I think if Champ doesn’t produce the next two years he will be on the hot seat big time . If he is not , this program is a lost cause .

Because things like making sure the practice facility, the football operations center, and the renovations to CLA are squarely within his job description. It's not his job to discuss the spring game, that is for the coaches. Haven't heard a peep from Radikovich regarding Clemson's spring game....that's the type of AD you want, right? One like Radikovich, who makes no comments regarding anything team related.
I didn't mean comment on the spring game. I meant comment on the status of our major programs. Where did I or have I ever mentioned Clemson's AD or coveting him? Please don't put words in my mouth. Yes, plugging the facilities is part if his job but it's the only thing he ever talks about or seems to know about.

If you reverse destinations of Kirby and Muschamp, I think each schools records would be about the same. Muschamp has had a couple of bad performances but so has Kirby Smart. Smart was given a roster with 3 NFL runningbacks that carried him to an SEC Championship but with the amount of arrests coming out of Georgia's football program and the QB transfer, I expect Smart's win total will slide more next season. If Muschamp was at Georgia, embarrassing arrests would be less and graduation rates would be up.

Reactions: rogue cock
I didn't mean comment on the spring game. I meant comment on the status of our major programs. Where did I or have I ever mentioned Clemson's AD or coveting him? Please don't put words in my mouth. Yes, plugging the facilities is part if his job but it's the only thing he ever talks about or seems to know about.
I apologize regarding the Radikovich comment....too many people on here laud him. Honestly, I don't think I've ever heard an AD comment on the success/failure/status of individual programs unless it was after dismissing a coach. They seem to save that for season ending discussions with the HC reviewing the past season and setting expectations for the following season. And, frankly, I wouldn't want an AD who was commenting on the status of a team, especially prior to the season....that really isn't their job. I am sure he and Muschamp have discussions, probably on a fairly consistent basis....but we don't need to know what is said between them.

Reactions: sclawman77
We don’t do a good enough job showcasing our players, their personalities and their good deeds in the community. The upstate does that and beyond that which has made their public image unbreakable.

Reactions: Heyward1

And we’ve got jack asses saying the bowl games don’t matter RollLaugh. Getting beat by Virginia that bad is BAD!!

^^^^ this

We don’t have much of an image rn. We used to be a damn good smack you in the mouth defensive team. Idk what we are with lackluster play on both offense and defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT