ADVERTISEMENT

What was the coldest game at WB you ever attended?***

It was sleeting when we left at halftime. That was the game that they recognized the pilot that was shot down in the former Czech Republic/Bosnia area.

But the coldest for me was Arkansas 2006. My friend, Jennifer, and I left and headed to the car to warm up. We left the men freezing their butts off in the stands.

I think the Arkansas game you are talking about is the game I referenced about in my op.

I’ve got a silly, but serious answer. Was anyone here at the 2016 Western Carolina game the week before the Clemson game which shall not be mentioned? It was in the mid-50s, but as the sun dropped, a wind tore through that upper deck. We all had on light hoodies that did nothing to slow the wind down. We were collecting the white touchdown towels and stuffing them up around our ears. Durn that was a cold night.

The 2005 4A State Championship Game between Sumter and Gaffney. It was Sidney Rice's senior year. Went broke feeding my 10 year old grandson hot chocolate to be able to watch the game.

Not sure if it was technically the "coldest" but the freezing rain, night game vs. Florida in the 90's was it for me. Brad Scott era I think. It was freezing, the wind was brutal, and I believe that was the game where the Gamecocks lost 63-7. Just an all-around miserable experience.

Also not the coldest, but that bowl game loss vs. UConn in Birmingham was brutal too. Very cold, especially in the shade, and losing to freakin' Uconn made it feel even worse.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
It probably was the Florida at USC night game in the mid 1990s. It was about +6°F when I left. OK, I was at the USC watch party in the western part of St Louis, and that bitter, cold airmass had yet to migrate to SC. No matter where you watched it, that game sucked.

'95 UF game was frigid. Fred Taylor running at will only made it worse. I don't remember him getting tackled all day.

The coldest game I ever attended at WB was USC vs Arkansas. I can't remember the exact year but it was one of Spurrier's first years, Blake Mitchell was the QB. Man, I like to froze before that game was over. It was one of those games we completely beat ourselves. The defining play for us was right before the end of the first half. The Arkansas QB throw a pass into the end zone. The Arkansas receiver was in the end zone but was not in a position to catch the ball. Well, one of our defensive backs tried to intercept the ball and as he was trying to intercept the ball he batted the ball right into the hands of the Arkansas receiver for a TD. Arkansas pulled ahead of us by a significant amount of points but then Blake started throwing the ball super well and we almost won (but fell a little short) in spite of the error made at the end of the first half.

But boy that sure was one cold game and in all of the years I have attended games at WB that was the very coldest. In fact, the 2nd coldest game I ever attended, and I can't remember which game that was, wasn't even close to the Arkansas game.

I think you're talking about 2006, we lost something like 26-20, and if memory also serves me, Darren McFadden ran for like 220 yards on us including 50-60 yd touchdown run just before halftime.

Tennessee 2014, it snowed early that morning and the wind was howling 10 - 15 miles per hour all day & night.

The coldest game I ever attended at WB was USC vs Arkansas. I can't remember the exact year but it was one of Spurrier's first years, Blake Mitchell was the QB. Man, I like to froze before that game was over. It was one of those games we completely beat ourselves. The defining play for us was right before the end of the first half. The Arkansas QB throw a pass into the end zone. The Arkansas receiver was in the end zone but was not in a position to catch the ball. Well, one of our defensive backs tried to intercept the ball and as he was trying to intercept the ball he batted the ball right into the hands of the Arkansas receiver for a TD. Arkansas pulled ahead of us by a significant amount of points but then Blake started throwing the ball super well and we almost won (but fell a little short) in spite of the error made at the end of the first half.

But boy that sure was one cold game and in all of the years I have attended games at WB that was the very coldest. In fact, the 2nd coldest game I ever attended, and I can't remember which game that was, wasn't even close to the Arkansas game.

The coldest for me was late 1990s ir estly 2000s. Spurrier was the coach at Florida and they came in here and beat fool out of us. That was a cold night. I think in the low 30s. Wind just whipping through William's Brice. Sadly I stayed til the last second

1988 liberty bowl vs Indiana. (I’ll never go back to Memphis. Armpit of Tennessee and Arkansas) Followed by the 95 Florida game.
YEP,
This game was in the teens. I remember a lot of people having to leave early. My legs were frozen back at the hotel.

At WB I concur with everyone. Those Arkansas and Florida games were bad. 2007 Clemson was really dang cold also but not as cold as 1987

Papa Johns Bowl in Birmingham. The whole place was depressing. The surroundings and stadium could be right out of communist Romania.

Arky hands down. It was 19 that morning and hit maybe 32 in Laurens. It was in the 40's in Columbia but the wind was brutal. I hosted 4 Arkansas fans that week and they were in shock lol

Arkansas 2010
I had a friend that could score a couple of executive club seats once or twice a season. We let my wife and her brother use them for that game, friend and I sat directly across the field in the club. Froze our arses off while they looked over at us grinning. Hogs stomped us that game as well, double whammy.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
This is the correct answer and the 87 Clemson game was second, as far as USC games go.
I watched Hartsville play for a State championship at Billy-Brice when Randy Wheeler and the a-hole that played DT for UT (Haynesworth) were Red Foxes , it was the colder than bought of those.

I believe that was 1997, if so they lost to my Walterboro Bulldogs. Damn shame how far that program has fallen off!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT