ADVERTISEMENT

What was the hottest football game you ever attended at WB?

Originally posted by CockSure:
Nebraska in 86. The Nebraska fans about died. They weren't used to the heat and humidity.
As I said earlier, I didn't attend the Nebraska game of '86. But, it seems I recall a Gamecock fan saying that one of the Nebraska players fainted on the field due to the heat and humidity, I don't know if that was true or not.

Originally posted by radcock:
uga 1988
was there....in a band uniform....i dont remember the heat, but i remember the catch by robert brooks

The 1988 Georgia game....Ellis to Brooks.........It was televised nationally by TBS, and they wanted us to wear black, I did, and I roasted~ Great game though, I think UGa was #5 or something like that and we spanked them good, with Robert Brooks making to great juggling catch in the end zone.

Originally posted by Holy City Cock:

The 1988 Georgia game....Ellis to Brooks.........It was televised nationally by TBS, and they wanted us to wear black, I did, and I roasted~ Great game though, I think UGa was #5 or something like that and we spanked them good, with Robert Brooks making to great juggling catch in the end zone.
one handed.....i was sitting on the far side of the field in the endzone....same endzone he scored in

Originally posted by CockSure:
Nebraska in 86. The Nebraska fans about died. They weren't used to the heat and humidity.
Yes, that one. I had a wet towel on my head. I also remember one great long run by Harold Green which had the stadium rocking.

That was my hottest game. People were falling all around me and I felt sick until we scored at the end on pass from Petty to Trafford.

Originally posted by houstongamecock:

Nebraska in 86. Noon kickoff in September. Was unbearable. It wore Nebraska down but we made a late turnover and they won. Drove all the way back down the field and Todd Ellis threw an interception in the end zone.
Yes, Nebraska game was the hottest for me. If memory serves, Green fumbled and Ellis once again broke our hearts with an INT!

UGa 1988 was the hottest. Lewis Grizzard wrote an article about it being the hottest game ever. If I can find it, I will link it.

UNC game in 2013. People were dropping like flies. EMS were all over the place carrying folks out. I never made it up the coffee grinder to my upper deck seat. Stopped 2 levels up on the grinder, put my seat cushon on the concrete as a laning pad and caught breezes all game long. I am not saying that the hottest game ever at W-B .... just the hottest game I've ever attended. Brutal combo of humidity & heat. 2nd hottest game I ever went to was USC-ECU in CLT about 4 yrs ago. Tailgating was brutal. Super hot. No greenery or shade other than tailgate tents.

Since those 2 games I have sworn off Aug/Sept games totally. October or later are the only ones I'll go to now.

Nebraska, 1986.

No other game comes close in my opinion. The Summer of '86 was absolutely brutal in SC and the rest of the country. It was the first or second weekend in October ... OCTOBER ... and the kickoff temperature was something like 94 degrees.

If I'm not mistaken, SC farmers sent hay to Nebraska farmers because their crops were decimated by the drought.

Hottest games I attended in WB, ranked in order of heat:

1. Nebraska '86
2. UGA '88
3. Miss ST '02
4. Michigan '85
5. UNC '89

This post was edited on 4/19 9:06 PM by Mr CockStrong

Alabama, 2008 97 degrees at kickoff. It felt like it was too hot to tailgate. I cant imagine how they played a football game in that heat.I sold my Eastside tickets and purchased tickets on the Westside to avoid being in the sun the entire game.

Most miserable one I was at was UGA in 1998.

It was scorching hot.

My wife was 7 mos pregnant.

We were RIGHT beside the UGA band.

Some drunk decided it'd be a great idea to stagger down the stairs and lean right against me as I stood at my aisle seat. I almost always avoid confrontation, but I was in no mood, and let that dude have it (verbally). He left, but that was one miserable gameday experience. Oh, and we lost the game to boot.

Originally posted by DarkHorse2001:
Alabama, 2008 97 degrees at kickoff. It felt like it was too hot to tailgate. I cant imagine how they played a football game in that heat.I sold my Eastside tickets and purchased tickets on the Westside to avoid being in the sun the entire game.
Uh........we didn't play Alabama in 2008.

The Nebraska game was during a period of drought.It was hot.The year before (85) it rained just about every home game.Maybe its because I'm older now, but the UNC game was the hottest I've been at a football game.It was too hot too tailgate pre game, so we sat in our car and ate.

I believe it was Raynard Brown that fumbled, not Green. It was a critical one in the fourth quarter, really was a great game, and was there for the upset, but we couldn't close the deal.

2008 georgia game by far and the fumble in the endzone made it even hotter

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT