ADVERTISEMENT

What win will put us in top 25 and top 10

vacock#

Oct 26, 1998
Let's say we keep winning. I say we get into the top 25 after beating NCSU, Mizzou and U.K. Keep winning and get into the top 10 after beating Florida. What say you?

vs NC State (Charlotte) ESPN 3 pm
Sep 9 at Missouri ESPN2 7 pm
Sep 16 Kentucky SECN 7:30 pm
Sep 23 La. Tech TBA TBA
Sep 30 at Texas A&M TBA TBA
Oct 7 Arkansas TBA TBA
Oct 14 at Tennessee TBA TBA
Oct 28 Vanderbilt TBA TBA
Nov 4 at Georgia TBA TBA
Nov 11 Florida TBA TBA
Nov 18 Wofford TBA TBA
Nov 25 Clemson

I think we get just inside the top 25 if we start 3-0 after UK. I think we would be close to top 10 if we start 7-0 with a win against UT. At that point it would depend on how our opponents and the SEC as a whole is doing. If the SEC looks strong, 7-0 would likely crack top 10. Of course, this is all dreaming at this point. After the past couple of seasons, any type of top 25 finish would make me feel much better about our football program.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Let's say we keep winning. I say we get into the top 25 after beating NCSU, Mizzou and U.K. Keep winning and get into the top 10 after beating Florida. What say you?

Sep 23 La. Tech TBA TBA
Oct 7 Arkansas TBA TBA
Nov 4 at Georgia TBA TBA
Nov 11 Florida TBA TBA
Nov 18 Wofford TBA TBA
Nov 25 Clemson
your cart just ran over your horse....

Pump the brakes fellas. Let's see how we play vs. NC State before talking about rankings.

Correct!
Dream if you must. But we've all been drinking garnet coolaid all summer. USC isn't the only school with great incoming freshmen, more experienced QB, backs, and linemen. These other teams haven't been just sitting on their thumbs all summer ( maybe Clempsin has?). A perfect example is Kentucky. Haven't beat them in 3 years. But everyone here is chalking up a W for that one.
Yes it appears we should be better. Especially on offense. But better than last year isn't exactly worldbeater material.
I'm just looking for progress. Especially on third and 1. Anything else will be icing on the cake.

Pump the brakes fellas. Let's see how we play vs. NC State before talking about rankings.

I think the NC State game is going to be the test that will determine, to a large extent, the remainder of our season. I think if we beat the Pack, we have a chance to win 8 games, possibly 9 games, if we lose to NC State we will be looking at a 5-6 season at best.

Remember NC State is a 6 point favorite.

Yes, the NCSU game is important and an indicator of how well we may do. However we are just ignorant fans on a discussion forum. It's for fun and entertainment. It's just an innocent discussion topic.
VA you've never been ignorant. Optimism is a great quality.

Reactions: humble servant

Sep 23 La. Tech TBA TBA
Oct 7 Arkansas TBA TBA
Nov 4 at Georgia TBA TBA
Nov 11 Florida TBA TBA
Nov 18 Wofford TBA TBA
Nov 25 Clemson

With the improvements our coaches have made I believe we only have four games that will be real tough.
1- NCS will be a challenge because our OL doesn't match up well with their DL but I believe our coach had all summer to outsmart them. Win

2- @georgia is always tough but we can win this one but I think we lose barley by 3 late.

3- Florida's defense is always tough but with Jake we pull this one out by 4 points.

4- home to play Clemson- hope we can keep it close and we can score on their defense. Lose by 14.

Only loses I see are to Georgia and Clemson because they have to much fire power - 10-2 is going to be easy. Who agrees?

It's always fun to dream.

2017 Gamecocks will struggle to win 7 games.

Sep 23 La. Tech TBA TBA
Oct 7 Arkansas TBA TBA
Nov 4 at Georgia TBA TBA
Nov 11 Florida TBA TBA
Nov 18 Wofford TBA TBA
Nov 25 Clemson

Reactions: ChristheContractor
I am in the camp of wait and see how we look vs NC State. I also think we will be a different team by week 6 of this season because of all the young talent that has yet to play a down. And also so the oline and Dline can come together as one unit.

Beating TAMU to go 5-0 would get us inside the T25. I think the only way we get into the top 10 is to go undefeated the whole season. We have no respect in the eyes of the pundits. JMO

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
'Tis the season for my irrational optimism. Shoot, 10-2 sounds about right to me! But then, I remember how deep the talent was a few years ago and I shudder...

If we got our 5th within in our first 7 games, I think we'd crack Top 25. Whether that's 5-0 after A&M, 5-1 after Arkansas, or 5-2 after Tennessee.

To get in the Top 10, I'd think we'd have to be 7-0 after Tennessee or 8-1 after Georgia

Reactions: bagel400

Sep 23 La. Tech TBA TBA
Oct 7 Arkansas TBA TBA
Nov 4 at Georgia TBA TBA
Nov 11 Florida TBA TBA
Nov 18 Wofford TBA TBA
Nov 25 Clemson

#22 if we go 4-0.

#22 if we go 5-0, out if we keep it close but go 4-1.

I'm cynical but ultimately always optimistic about the Gamecocks.

This is hilarious.
giphy.gif

Reactions: DC-99
Y'all need to step out of Fantasyland and focus on one game! NC State. All these 5-0 and 10-0 conversations are nonsense at this point. We have a long way to go and it all starts with NC State.

With the improvements our coaches have made I believe we only have four games that will be real tough.
1- NCS will be a challenge because our OL doesn't match up well with their DL but I believe our coach had all summer to outsmart them. Win

2- @georgia is always tough but we can win this one but I think we lose barley by 3 late.

3- Florida's defense is always tough but with Jake we pull this one out by 4 points.

4- home to play Clemson- hope we can keep it close and we can score on their defense. Lose by 14.

Only loses I see are to Georgia and Clemson because they have to much fire power - 10-2 is going to be easy. Who agrees?
Okay. The cart didn't just run over the horse. It killed the horse! :D

Reactions: mbsurfside
Y'all need to step out of Fantasyland and focus on one game! NC State. All these 5-0 and 10-0 conversations are nonsense at this point. We have a long way to go and it all starts with NC State.

Lighten up, Francis. As no one commenting on this board actually plays or coaches in any game on our schedule, it doesn't make a difference what we "focus on". This is just interesting banter to kill the time before the games start.

You been watching your film and running your wind sprints? Not sure what we'll do without your focus and conditioning at 100%

I am totally convinced that there are some people on this message board that believe 100% that we will somehow achieve these lofty expectations that some of you are saying are just a joke. 8 wins is the goal, in my opinion. Anything less is failure. Anything above is awesome and a huge boost to recruiting (which we need terribly).

Reactions: E-Cut_22
I am totally convinced that there are some people on this message board that believe 100% that we will somehow achieve these lofty expectations that some of you are saying are just a joke. 8 wins is the goal, in my opinion. Anything less is failure. Anything above is awesome and a huge boost to recruiting (which we need terribly).

Quite literally no post in this thread is an expectation. Everyone is answering the hypothetical question that the OP posed... "What would our record have to be to break into the Top 25 or Top 10?"

And as a gamecock fan yourself, it bothers u that people believe our team is capable of going 10--0 , why??

It all depends on the play of our offensive and defensive lines. If they play up to there potential 8 wins or more, If they don't 6 wins at best...

Ive seen it all now on FGF just when I thought the posters had settled, here comes a new wave with a new angle. What game gets us ranked in top 10? What? Smh

I'd be thrilled to get in position to do it, but I would say it would have to be a win, and being 5-0 vs Tex AM. Beating NCSU will be a chore as they are pretty good, but that program hasn't really gotten over the hump enough for a win to impress anyone. Ditto Kentucky. A win over them would be a milestone after the last few years, but would impress nobody.

How many here will be calling for Muschamp`s head if we start out 0-3, but are competitive in all three games and look like an improved team from last year.

Fun to speculate but the rebuild far from over. Defensively we have a long way to go. Most teams on our schedule are better up front and in some cases much better. Thank you Whammy Deke and Jr. I'd be very happy with 7 wins this year. Won't be easy as our schedule is tougher this year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT