ADVERTISEMENT

What would be better? Clempson left out in the cold or having to compete in the SEC?

Never happen. Money talks and the ACC can't pony up the same dollars. You do not remember how we were treated when in the ACC? We would still be a middle of the pack team there as evidenced by our record against ACC teams over the last 10 years. So what is the advantage for USC? None.
All I am saying is that if this all gets down to who attracts the most dollars for a conference, I could see a day where it might not be USCs decision. Same for Vandy, and a couple of others.
As far as the ACC, I am not exactly sure why you blame them. Paul Dietzel, who had visions of greatness for football if only he could get out from under the ACC's athletic academic requirements at the time is the reason USC left.

These are just really weak arguments, and I feel like you don't have a good memory.

First, let's talk about the losses. Notre Dame almost beat Georgia two years ago and last year's team was better than the team that did. Notre Dame is a very good team on par with Florida or Georgia, if not Clemson or Alabama, and you're dumb if you don't think they are. Clemson also had all their players out for injuries/covid. I think they were missing nine starters? Take away nine starters on any team, including the QB and four best defensive players, and they can lose. Clemson lost to Syracuse four years ago. They injured Clemson's starting QB - Kelly Bryant, who wasn't good - in the first quarter and a guy named Zerrick Cooper lost to them. Clemson hasn't lost to Boston College since 2010.

It just seems foolish that you're trying to undermine a program by harping on an overtime loss to a playoff team when Clemson was missing half their starters and another loss four years ago with a second string QB. It just seems kind of foolish.

And sure. I think it's safe to say Clemson would have lost to Alabama twice and LSU once in Atlanta. But I don't think it would hurt the program. As far as recruiting rankings - which are tough to compare because Clemson has very small classes - Clemson recruits right at the same level as Alabama, LSU, Georgia, A&M, and Florida. You might notice four of those SEC teams have not had very much success against Alabama. Since you concede Clemson would likely have won the SEC at least twice, that would be better success than any of those schools except Alabama. It seems a stretch to say the program would have been hurt.
People forget recruiting has to get you to the playoffs in the first place to even be a factor. Clemson has been recruiting in the top ten for almost a decade now. They recruited well before the playoffs. They get recruits because they out players in the nfl.

These are just really weak arguments, and I feel like you don't have a good memory.

First, let's talk about the losses. Notre Dame almost beat Georgia two years ago and last year's team was better than the team that did. Notre Dame is a very good team on par with Florida or Georgia, if not Clemson or Alabama, and you're dumb if you don't think they are. Clemson also had all their players out for injuries/covid. I think they were missing nine starters? Take away nine starters on any team, including the QB and four best defensive players, and they can lose. Clemson lost to Syracuse four years ago. They injured Clemson's starting QB - Kelly Bryant, who wasn't good - in the first quarter and a guy named Zerrick Cooper lost to them. Clemson hasn't lost to Boston College since 2010.

It just seems foolish that you're trying to undermine a program by harping on an overtime loss to a playoff team when Clemson was missing half their starters and another loss four years ago with a second string QB. It just seems kind of foolish.

And sure. I think it's safe to say Clemson would have lost to Alabama twice and LSU once in Atlanta. But I don't think it would hurt the program. As far as recruiting rankings - which are tough to compare because Clemson has very small classes - Clemson recruits right at the same level as Alabama, LSU, Georgia, A&M, and Florida. You might notice four of those SEC teams have not had very much success against Alabama. Since you concede Clemson would likely have won the SEC at least twice, that would be better success than any of those schools except Alabama. It seems a stretch to say the program would have been hurt.
clemson last season had a halftime lead against Wake Forest by 27 points, Citadel by 49 points, Georgia Tech by 52 points and Pittsburgh by 28 points. At the start of the fourth quarter, clemson led Virginia by 17 points, Miami by 25 points and Virginia Tech by 21. I guess the point i am trying to make is clemson has an advantage playing in the ACC that they are able to protect their starters by sitting them on the bench sometime in the start of the third to the start of the fourth quarter. Not only can they protect their starters, but it also gives them an opportunity to develop and evaluate younger players with real game time experience.

If clemson played South Carolina's football schedule, would clemson go three and zero against Georgia, Florida and Texas A&M every season? Also i think the SEC is likely more physical which would make a difference. clemson likely would beat Kentucky year in and year out, but they would feel the pain the next day.

With clemson's most two recent NCAA championships they had their greatest quarterback ever Watson and the controversial play to beat Alabama for 2016 game. I will give clemson credit for the 2018 game, their offense was just unstoppable to go along with a strong defense. The last two playoff games clemson has played, they given up over 40 points a game and the quarterback was under grueling pressure causing turnovers. What has changed?

Last edited:
Uhhhhh.....NO. We appear to have a Head Coach in football who can definitely recruit. If he is able to combine that with the coaching ability of his Dad, why would we disadvantage him by putting him into the ACC? It makes no sense.
Why does this sound like what we were saying with our last head coach?

Clemson is among the upper echelon in facilities in the ACC, close to having the best, if not the best. In the SEC, they would be mid-tier.

I hate Clemson as much as anyone but lets be realistic. Their facilities are not mid-tier in the SEC...they are consensus top 5 in the nation. Some say #1. Ours are top 5 now but we were years behind.

Top 25 College Football Facilities 2021

Reactions: The Doctors Back
Alabama last season had a halftime lead against Mizzou by 25, A&M by 21, Miss State by 27, LSU by 31, and Arkansas by 35. At the start of the fourth quarter, Alabama led Kentucky by 46 and Auburn by 29. I'm not seeing a significant difference there. You can point to the citadel, but we all know that's just because the SEC didn't do OOC games last year. Alabama was leading in its conference games by more than Clemson was at those points. If Alabama isn't resting their starters to protect them and to build depth, then Saban is stupid.

I do think for five of the last six seasons, Clemson would have definitely beaten those three every time. They did beat A&M three times despite doing their conservative offense they always start the season with. 2017 would have been a good game between Clemson and Georgia.

Clemson lost by seventeen to LSU in 2019. LSU beat Georgia much worse. Last year was covid and Clemson was missing a few players and their offensive coordinator. I consider the whole year a wash.

I think your argument relies on an assumption I just don't think is true. The SEC is the best conference, sure. But it's not the NFL and a murderer's row. Alabama demonstrates that every single year. Alabama sleepwalks through its schedule and blows everyone else out every year, with the exception of the Burrow year, where both teams blew everybody out. The SEC is better because there is typically Alabama and one or two other elite teams each year. The ACC usually just has Clemson and then a couple very good but not elite teams. The rest of the teams are just patsies for the big dogs to blow out in both conferences. We've seen Clemson and Alabama have been neck and neck the past six years. They recruit the same caliber of athletes. You won't convince me that Clemson would be so beat up they'd limp to a three loss season each year - like so many want to do - when Alabama disproves that premise every single year.
Good points, however i still believe that SEC would cause clemson difficulty with reaching the playoffs year in and year out.

My vote would be Clempson in the SEC. Don't think it will happen. Clempson would certainly compete at football, but not at the level they are in the ACC. I hear, but we've beat Alabama twice. You've also lost twice and blown out by LSU two years ago. What ACC teams do they struggle against? Zero. The chance of winning conference championships in football would diminish greatly. Baseball would be much more difficult for Clempson in the SEC. Women's basketball and softball would be a disaster. The only sport where things might be a little easier is mens basketball, but not much. The ACC hasn't been the national power in basketball for years.
Clemson and Maryland made their bed back in the early 70's when they both agreed to leave the ACC with USC. They made their bed when they turned their back on USC and left them on their own. I say no let them stay in the ACC. I have never forgotten this and never will. Well you know what they say about karma. I will leave it at that.

Reactions: jerryusc
Good points, however i still believe that SEC would cause clemson difficulty with reaching the playoffs year in and year out.
No they would make the playoff and then win the national championship much like Bama does. The big matchup is just played in early December vs January.

Did anyone recommend clemson falling to the pits of hell when a earthquake opens up the earth and swallows them?

Reactions: 92Pony
Never happen. Money talks and the ACC can't pony up the same dollars. You do not remember how we were treated when in the ACC? We would still be a middle of the pack team there as evidenced by our record against ACC teams over the last 10 years. So what is the advantage for USC? None.
Money talks in different ways...Look at Texas, they have more money than they know what to do with yet still have not shown results on the field for many years.

More money does not always equate with more success and wins...

Money talks in different ways...Look at Texas, they have more money than they know what to do with yet still have not shown results on the field for many years.

More money does not always equate with more success and wins...
Well it certainly is easier to operate in a more money environment than not enough. With NIL more money may become more important than in the past. I understand what you are saying and there's a lot more intangibles for success. Other than lots of money, Texas has been a dumpster fire since Mack Brown left.

Well it certainly is easier to operate in a more money environment than not enough. With NIL more money may become more important than in the past. I understand what you are saying and there's a lot more intangibles for success. Other than lots of money, Texas has been a dumpster fire since Mack Brown left.

I guess it all comes down to what you do with the money...Vandy, KY, ARK, Miss ST, etc all get "SEC money" but it has not helped them at all to be competitive football-wise. Heck the reason Vandy is so good in baseball is the private endowment money, nothing to do with getting SEC money.

Bottom line is you need a great coach, great facilities, and year-after-year solid recruiting to be good in football. The best facilities in the country would mean nothing if you don't have the coach...see Oregon (all the Nike money in the world but it's not translating to wins on the field).

Pick any schedule in the sec and show me 2-3 def loses. I’m not a Clemson fan but damn take the red colored glasses off. They recruit better than us because they put players in the nfl and have a better coaching staff. Sure their success helps but they recruited at a high level before that success. Look at their record vs the sec over the last 8 years.
Their record over the last 8 years against the SEC, which is the most favorable sample by far you could pick for them, they are 15-6. So yeah, that's one 8-3 season and one 7-3 season, or a conf record of either 6-2 or 5-3. If you take a more representative sample though, say 20 years, they are 25-17, which percentage wise translates to 7-5, or if you confine that percentage to conference schedule 5-3 in conference. If you take 50 years, they were 40-43 which is more like 6-6, or in conference 4-4 or 3-5. So yeah, even here at their prime they're gonna lose 2-3 conference games a year. If they slip at all, it's more like 4-5. That ain't garnet glasses, that's facts.

• Haha
Reactions: Boom4life
If I had to bet on where Clemson will be in the forseeable future, I would say the ACC as it stands today, with West Virginia added. Notre Dame would continue as is in a quasi conference membership. I am not sure how Clemson fans would feel about that. But that is what I see in their future.

Reactions: rogue cock
Is there value to the ACC in adding West Virginia? I think it would be like adding a KIA to your vehicle fleet, not that there is anything wrong with owning a KIA.

Reactions: 92Pony
Their record over the last 8 years against the SEC, which is the most favorable sample by far you could pick for them, they are 15-6. So yeah, that's one 8-3 season and one 7-3 season, or a conf record of either 6-2 or 5-3. If you take a more representative sample though, say 20 years, they are 25-17, which percentage wise translates to 7-5, or if you confine that percentage to conference schedule 5-3 in conference. If you take 50 years, they were 40-43 which is more like 6-6, or in conference 4-4 or 3-5. So yeah, even here at their prime they're gonna lose 2-3 conference games a year. If they slip at all, it's more like 4-5. That ain't garnet glasses, that's facts.
Not garnet glasses, laughing my ass off.

Show me any SEC teams schedule in the last 5 years where Clemson would have gone 5-3.

How many of those games were against upper level SEC teams versus lower level teams? It's not like they would come in and play only the UGAs, LSUs, Bamas, etc. of the conference.

Reactions: ghostofpepsicock
Clemson would be exposed to injuries like every other school in the SEC due to the speed in the conference if they joined. They would be most compared to Florida or Georgia if they had to play an SEC conference schedule each year and lose recruits to LSU, Florida, Georgia, Auburn and Alabama. Dabo is a clown but he is not a fool.

I guess it all comes down to what you do with the money...Vandy, KY, ARK, Miss ST, etc all get "SEC money" but it has not helped them at all to be competitive football-wise. Heck the reason Vandy is so good in baseball is the private endowment money, nothing to do with getting SEC money.

Bottom line is you need a great coach, great facilities, and year-after-year solid recruiting to be good in football. The best facilities in the country would mean nothing if you don't have the coach...see Oregon (all the Nike money in the world but it's not translating to wins on the field).
Those are the intangibles that I mentioned. The places you named have never decided that they wanted to be great at football and have not kept up with the rest of the SEC traditionally with coaching hires, facilities etc. Kentucky has begun to but is still a basketball school. The other SEC schools have used the money to make the SEC the premiere football conference on the nation. USC wants to be good in football and has used the money to improve everything that would make it successful in football. We have made some bonehead hires for coaches and AD that have hindered that process.

How many of those games were against upper level SEC teams versus lower level teams? It's not like they would come in and play only the UGAs, LSUs, Bamas, etc. of the conference.
6 of their 15 wins in the last 8 years are against us. Are we upper level?

I have no issue with Clemson in the SEC, they would still be good but much less consistent, which is a positive for me.

But I don't like the current reality of college football, Clemson as a superpower making the playoffs every year and competing for the natty, and us as well who we are now, so I'm all for many changes, like the expanded playoff, but I don't see how Texas and OU joining the SEC helps us become relevant again, but if Clemson joined it would hurt Clemson's consistency of making the playoffs every single year, so I would be ok with Clemson to the SEC. We cant recruit much against them today as is, so us both in the SEC is not a big negative for me.

So...
Over the past 5 or so years, Clemson cruises through their conference, and except for a couple of games, blows everyone out along the way, proving the ACC is weak and can't compete with the Tigers.
Over the past 5 or so years, Alabama cruises through their conference, and except for a couple of games, blows everyone out along the way, proving the SEC is a powerhouse where you have to play the best teams.

Got it.

Would like to see Clemson in the SEC. We gripe about Clemson not keeping their promise and leaving with us but the SEC might have chosen Clemson over USC in '92.
Clemson was never considered for SEC expansion in 1992.

"On May 31, 1990, the SEC presidents voted to authorize expansion, identifying six schools as potential members: Texas, Texas A&M, Florida State, Miami, South Carolina and Arkansas. Ole Miss President Gerald Turner headed the conference’s expansion committee."
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2011/1990-sec-expansion-southeastern-conference/

So...
Over the past 5 or so years, Clemson cruises through their conference, and except for a couple of games, blows everyone out along the way, proving the ACC is weak and can't compete with the Tigers.
Over the past 5 or so years, Alabama cruises through their conference, and except for a couple of games, blows everyone out along the way, proving the SEC is a powerhouse where you have to play the best teams.

Got it.
Agreed. Like or not and being objective, the SEC is just as top heavy as the ACC or Big10.

Going back tens years, only LSU, FSU, Bama, Clemson, and Oh St have won a NC. If that doesn't show all conferences are top heavy, I don't know what does.

Clemson was never considered for SEC expansion in 1992.

"On May 31, 1990, the SEC presidents voted to authorize expansion, identifying six schools as potential members: Texas, Texas A&M, Florida State, Miami, South Carolina and Arkansas. Ole Miss President Gerald Turner headed the conference’s expansion committee."
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2011/1990-sec-expansion-southeastern-conference/
I think he was saying that Clemson might have been considered if they had left with USC and were no longer in the ACC.

I think he was saying that Clemson might have been considered if they had left with USC and were no longer in the ACC.
Clem would never leave the ACC in hopes of getting a SEC invite. The SEC was willing to raid a conference for two new members, primarily Texas and Texas A&M, but never considered anyone from the ACC.

I would the credit the 5 year run to a HOF coach and an unprecedented run of talent in the SCHS ranks during that period, moreso than any conference affiliation.

So do we get Holtz and SOS if we were in the ACC? I say not. Their egos wanted to go up against the best.

So do we get Holtz and SOS if we were in the ACC? I say not. Their egos wanted to go up against the best.
Who knows? I would say yes on Holtz. On Spurrier, I have no clue but he did want a place to land and wanted to be at a place where he could be the first to accomplish something no one else had. Both previously coached in the ACC.

So now they are "on the outside looking in" as you say and how is that working out? They are on an incredible run which will continue for the foreseeable future. They will be preseason #1 or #2 again. They have a clear ticket each year into the CFP playing an ACC schedule and the sports media is simply unwilling to hold them to task for playing such a soft schedule ever year. I believe playing an SEC schedule they would lose 2-3 games per year (sometimes more) which would make it much more difficult to get in the CFP. They out-recruit us now because they are currently one of the top 4 elite programs in the nation. And it's sickening.
Blah, Blah, Blah........

well lets think this through.. clemson is not gonna get left out for obvious reasons. in the sec the odds of them going undefeated is pretty slim plus with them in conference it would be an in-conference game for us which opens up another out of conference game. i dont see it being the bad thing some of yall see. now if we could get them left out in the cold, hell yes, let em suffer, but thats not gonna happen anyway

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT