ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s noticed the price of building materials?

Rhizzlebop

Sep 30, 2009
Loving the HD Lowes thread. I finished my screened porch in June before the heat of summer. Was going to start the tear off and rebuild of the adjacent deck in October. However I’m seeing that lumber has basically doubled in price and seems they have less of it. I’m not sure why. Are the milled closed or were closed so they are way behind? I told my wife we’ll have to wait till next year to do that at these prices. We can use it as is just wanted the deck larger and nicer. Well just love the closed in porch for now. Saw what was a $12 deck board 16 ft shows $26 now. A $35 post is now $55.

Loving the HD Lowes thread. I finished my screened porch in June before the heat of summer. Was going to start the tear off and rebuild of the adjacent deck in October. However I’m seeing that lumber has basically doubled in price and seems they have less of it. I’m not sure why. Are the milled closed or were closed so they are way behind? I told my wife we’ll have to wait till next year to do that at these prices. We can use it as is just wanted the deck larger and nicer. Well just love the closed in porch for now. Saw what was a $12 deck board 16 ft shows $26 now. A $35 post is now $55.
1Board foot prices have jumped 149per cent from late April until now. Just FYI. would have been a great futures buy .

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Yes... i sell wholesale lumber and this year has been crazy. Lack of supply for many reasons including this overhyped virus, import tarrifs, and overwhelming demand.
Lead times from mills have doubled and so have prices.
Its concerning from the point of ongoing housing affordability but i must say i am loving the paychecks.
Supply and demand will fix this over the next few months.

Yeah I’m gonna hold off on a few projects.
Remember when eggs and milk were so high? I can get a gallon of milk for $1.12 now. Can’t even get a 16 oz coke for that.

Reactions: PC31
I had planned to build a 26x30 detached garage this Fall.

Got the first quote back two weeks ago and I am still suffering from PTSD.

Reactions: 92Pony
I had planned to build a 26x30 detached garage this Fall.

Got the first quote back two weeks ago and I am still suffering from PTSD.
I finished mine last year about this time. Glad it was then and not now.

Last edited:
Yes... i sell wholesale lumber and this year has been crazy. Lack of supply for many reasons including this overhyped virus, import tarrifs, and overwhelming demand.
Its concerning from the point of ongoing housing affordability but i must say i am loving the paychecks.
Weird how they can fix prices however they please in the lumber industry without penalty. Yet if somebody sells a sheet of plywood for double the amount after a storm and it's suddenly "price gouging".

Is any of the lumber coming from China? I'm sure many of the supplies used in the process are at least. There's catastrophic flooding going on over there which has greatly affected their supply routes like on the Yangtze river. If the 3 gorges dam fails it'll be felt worldwide for sure!

Brother In Laws plant is on course for record bonuses. Even the janitors are on schedule to get the 52k bonus. Going to push a lot of employees over the 150k range.

Reactions: Cybercock
Inflation is a nuclear missile hurtling towards this country and will strike us in 2021, due to the boyz' in Washington. Have fun while you can because the dollar will depreciate a lot in this decade.

Is any of the lumber coming from China? I'm sure many of the supplies used in the process are at least. There's catastrophic flooding going on over there which has greatly affected their supply routes like on the Yangtze river. If the 3 gorges dam fails it'll be felt worldwide for sure!

Over the past decade, more and more lumber manufacturing shifted to China because of the lack of concern for the American worker or, quite frankly, lack of concern for the workers or the economies of the rest of the world.
Now that there is finally a push to drive manufacturing out of China it is virtually impossible for the rest if the world to make up that demand quickly. It will happen but it takes time
Manufacturing is shifting mostly to Indonesia, Vietnam and more to South America.
Although the tariffs havent driven a lot of jobs back to the US yet in the lumber industry, I am happy it has virtually decimated the Chinese mills. If we can get rid of a few more government regulations, more jobs will return home.
I always hated selling that Chinese crap for so many reasons but to stay competitive it was a necessary evil.
A lot depends on this election. If the dems win, look for another sellout to China.

[/QUOTE

Over the past decade, more and more lumber manufacturing shifted to China because of the lack of concern for the American worker or, quite frankly, lack of concern for the workers or the economies of the rest of the world.
Now that there is finally a push to drive manufacturing out of China it is virtually impossible fir the rest if the world to make up that demand quickly. It will happen but it takes time
Manufacturing is shifting mostly to Indonesia, Vietnam and more to South America.
Although the tariffs havent driven a lot of jobs back to the US yet in the lumber industry, I am happy it has virtually decimated the Chinese mills. If we can get rid of a few more government regulations, more jobs will return home.
I always hated selling that Chinese crap for so many reasons but to stay competitive it was a necessary evil.
[/QUOTE
Inflation is a nuclear missile hurtling towards this country and will strike us in 2021, due to the boyz' in Washington. Have fun while you can because the dollar will depreciate a lot in this decade.

It will if we keep printing money like we are Milton Bradley.
People are so short sighted and ignorant when it comes to economics.

Weird how they can fix prices however they please in the lumber industry without penalty. Yet if somebody sells a sheet of plywood for double the amount after a storm and it's suddenly "price gouging".

We don't "fix' prices. Its supply and demand. When things head south and we lose most of the money we just made on the upside, there will be no sympathy.
Operating at a loss is no fun

Reactions: jackrabbit slim
We don't "fix' prices. Its supply and demand. When things head south and we lose most of the money we just made on the upside, there will be no sympathy.
Operating at a loss is no fun
I get it and I wasn't singling you out I just find the thin line to be hypocritical.

Brother In Laws plant is on course for record bonuses. Even the janitors are on schedule to get the 52k bonus. Going to push a lot of employees over the 150k range.
What is the name of the company that gives janitors $50,000 bonuses?

Im in the building supply business and its sucked going up. Ready for it to fall. We make it on the downside. Futures started falling last week.

If you trim the bushes around your deck, it will look bigger....😂

If you trim the bushes around your deck, it will look bigger....😂

Nope. The giant spacious 24x 16 screened porch I built myself makes the adjacent 10x12 deck look tiny and useless. When I redo it I’m going out to 14x16 with built in shade sail/light columns and wooden porch swing between with grille island

What is the name of the company that gives janitors $50,000 bonuses?
Norbord. Every employee gets the same bonus. As of now they are on schedule to get the largest bonus ever. I think the largest so far has bern in the 40k range.

Reactions: jonesz21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT