ADVERTISEMENT

Who are some College teams that have a strong fan base with really nothing to show for it ?

Snake006

Aug 7, 2007
I'm talking about one's that average 75K home fans and top 25 facilities.

Last edited:
Not sure there's any but us to be honest. Arkansas despite recent hard times has played in numerous major bowls and has won a title. AM has played in major bowls but never won it all. Oregon has played for it all. Now that you say it we honestly might be the only one....even Central Florida made a major bowl.

I struggle to come up with anyone else. Maybe Texas A&M? They at least claim a few national championships and won a bunch of conference championships in the Southwest Conference. Even Mizzou claims some national championships, has won 15 conference titles, and has played in multiple major bowl games. UCLA? I don't know if their facilities or support is quite on par with ours.

Here are the team rankings by average attendance over the past 5 seasons:

1.Michigan
2. Ohio State
3. Alabama
4. Penn State
5. Texas A&M
6. LSU
7. Tennessee
8. Texas
9. UGA
10. Nebraska
11. UF
12. Auburn
13. Oklahoma
14. Notre Dame
15. Clemson
16. South Carolina
17. Wisconsin
18. FSU

Those are the only schools to average 75,000 or more over the past 5 seasons.

I struggle to come up with anyone else. Maybe Texas A&M? They at least claim a few national championships and won a bunch of conference championships in the Southwest Conference. Even Mizzou claims some national championships, has won 15 conference titles, and has played in multiple major bowl games. UCLA? I don't know if their facilities or support is quite on par with ours.
I can tell you 100% Mizzou has crappy facilities compared to us and their fan support doesn't come close.

16. South Carolina Those are the only schools to average 75,000 or more over the past 5 seasons.

SURE! Any group of Fans are going to attend games where their team is winning and playing for National Champeenships. But, to get beat by 20pts, 24pts, 28pts, 21pts and upset by an 11 1/2 point underdog with a freshman QB and 1st year staff AND still have your fans show up without tar & feathers ... well, that really says something.

The hands down winner is Texas A&M. I can’t even recall a BCS bowl game. The others on the list can claim that and even recent playoff appearances.

Virginia
UNC
NC St
Arizona
Arizona st
Syracuse
Wash. St
Iowa
Iowa st
Indiana
Mich. St
Maryland
VA Tech
Hawaii
Oklahoma st
Illinois
West Virginia

This is for the football programs only. Sadly they've had tons of basketball succedd

The hands down winner is Texas A&M. I can’t even recall a BCS bowl game. The others on the list can claim that and even recent playoff appearances.

Texas AM in the early 90s to mid to late 90s probably had more wins than almost any other program. I just remember seemed they were 10-2 and highly ranked for years. I always thought their schedule was so soft but they won ton of games

Virginia
UNC
NC St
Arizona
Arizona st
Syracuse
Wash. St
Iowa
Iowa st
Indiana
Mich. St
Maryland
VA Tech
Hawaii
Oklahoma st
Illinois
West Virginia

This is for the football programs only. Sadly they've had tons of basketball succedd

Although much of it was long ago, A&M has a rich history. Multiple national championships and more recently numerous conference championships and at least 1 BCS bowl.

South Carolina, Iowa, Okla St, NC State, West Virginia are the ones that come to mind of Schools that draw big crowds and have yet to sustain any prominence in College Football. Texas A&M is slightly ahead of this group. The rest don't have the fan base or Facilities

1.Michigan
2. Ohio State
3. Alabama
4. Penn State
5. Texas A&M
6. LSU
7. Tennessee
8. Texas
9. UGA
10. Nebraska
11. UF
12. Auburn
13. Oklahoma
14. Notre Dame
15. Clemson
16. South Carolina
17. Wisconsin
18. FSU

Well, I think we know who is the worst team on that list (past 5 years or otherwise).

Reactions: Goose cock

We have Top 25 everything except for actual team output: Champ's salary, OC & DC salaries, recruiting classes, etc. Fortunately, we're only a few "critical plays" away from that happening as well.

Reactions: HI Cock
South Carolina, Iowa, Okla St, NC State, West Virginia are the ones that come to mind of Schools that draw big crowds and have yet to sustain any prominence in College Football. Texas A&M is slightly ahead of this group. The rest don't have the fan base or Facilities
You mean the West Virginia team that has played in, AND WON, three BCS bowls since 2006, including a 70-33 beatdown of Clemson? Despite that success, they play in a 60,000 seat stadium (smaller than every stadium in the SEC except Vanderbilt).

Their return on fan investment is WAY higher than ours.

Yep,comparisons to the pre-2016 Cubs and pre-2004 Red Sox seem right.
Yeah, both had miraculous failures at critical moments...
  • The Buckner bumble for the Sox (at least that was the World Series).
  • The much more gamecock-esque Bartman incident for the Cubs (NLCS).

Reactions: rhinocock72
LoLville gives away thousands of tix every week. I don't know that they've ever had a "sell" out.

I take that back. The Notre Dame game might have been a sellout. But, if you watched the game most of that crowd was ND fans.

Yes, and I'm one of the maroons who didn't read the OP's criteria. My bad.

Still, I'd put Texas Tech in our league. They show up. They support. They never grab the brass ring.

Semper Fi! BTW. I was in the Army. Always good to meet another vet.

1.Michigan
2. Ohio State
3. Alabama
4. Penn State
5. Texas A&M
6. LSU
7. Tennessee
8. Texas
9. UGA
10. Nebraska
11. UF
12. Auburn
13. Oklahoma
14. Notre Dame
15. Clemson
16. South Carolina
17. Wisconsin
18. FSU

This is a good frame of reference. At least there are a few of these in the wilderness with us, one or two even longer than us most recently. But it’s tough road to hoe when you play 5 of the top 15 draws every year, sometimes 6 or even 7 with a bowl. Being a Gamecock is not for the faint of heart.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT