ADVERTISEMENT

Who is our next Savior (backup QB)?

We are a freshman qb driven fan base. Gauthier is next then Davis next year.....before that it was Nunez, Bentley, Halinski and Doty, then Davis next year. Its a vicious cycle we are in looking for our "savior" freshman qb.

When this board starts screaming o bench Zeb.
Broken foot Doty was not as good as Zeb. Just like broken hand Zeb was not better than Doty. I don’t think any fan was unjustified for calling for that change. After one drive against Vandy, Beamer made that decision himself….once Doty appears to have no longer been an option.

***It is worth noting that had Vandy got one more first down it may have taken losing to Vanderbilt at home to make that change.

I've wanted to see what Jason Brown could do all along. I don't understand why so many on this board are down on him without seeing him play meaningful snaps.
It’s the Garnet Way. Criticize other Gamecock fans for suggesting that any player other than the ones playing should get a look. There are numerous examples through the years.

I've wanted to see what Jason Brown could do all along. I don't understand why so many on this board are down on him without seeing him play meaningful snaps.

There was quite a bit of back and forth preseason about Brown. Some went over the top in praise after he threw about 3 passes in a scrimmage.

Imho, that's why it's become a joke.

There was quite a bit of back and forth preseason about Brown. Some went over the top in praise after he threw about 3 passes in a scrimmage.

Imho, that's why it's become a joke.
It’s interesting that people curious about a guy who was a successful starting QB at another school is seen as a joke but continuing to see a grad assistant whose prior stop resulted in losing his starting job is a serious affair.

Last edited:

I'm not down on him at all. I hope he turns out to be the best QB we've ever had. I'm down on those who claim to know anything about it. Nobody here had even heard of the kid before he transferred here. Overnight, some of our fan became Jason Brown experts and had all this knowledge about his arm, without ever seeing him play a single down of football. It's not a new phenomenon. There is always a subset of the fan base that's enamored by the unknown and imagine it to be better than they currently have. There will always be some who think something else, anything else, is better than what you have. For heaven's sake, there were fans who thought Dylan should start over Connor.

It’s interesting that people curious what a guy who was a successful starting QB at another school is seen as a joke but continuing to see a grad assistant whose prior stop resulted in losing his starting job is a serious affair.
I think it’s because when they don’t understand or recognize what they’re looking at they assume no one else can or does either. They then get agitated and so forth. Life goes on.

It’s interesting that people curious what a guy who was a successful starting QB at another school is seen as a joke but continuing to see a grad assistant whose prior stop resulted in losing his starting job is a serious affair.

You are correct. It’s quite an indictment of the state of our programs that our best options are FCS guys.

Reactions: Dizzy01
In this century we probably have more missed evaluations with QB's than any other school in the SEC. Quite a few 4 stars including Mitch, McIlwain, Nunez, Joyner, Garcia (had some moments but never got his head straight), Hillinski and Bentley, but I will allow that Bentley and Hillinski never got fair shots due to coaching. It's ironic that of our three best QB's in this time two were 3 stars, Petty and Shaw, and a 2 star, Thompson.

Last edited:
In this century we probably have more missed evaluations with QB's than any other school in the SEC. Quite a few 4 stars including Mitch, McIlwain, Nunez, Joyner, Garcia (had some moments but never got his head straight), Hillinski and Bentley, but I will allow that Bentley and Hillinski never got fair shots due to coaching. It's ironic that of our three best QB's in this time two were 3 stars, Petty and Shaw, and a 2 star, Thompson.
It’s remarkable that we’ve continued to recruit pretty decently rated quarterbacks most years, in spite of our repeated failures to develop most of them.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Garcia‘s moments included beating #1 Alabama and taking us to the SEC Championship! What I wouldn’t give to have a QB who could have moments like that again.

Reactions: 92Pony
Garcia‘s moments included beating #1 Alabama and taking us to the SEC Championship! What I wouldn’t give to have a QB who could have moments like that again.
Beating #1 Bama and then losing to Kentucky the next week and getting blown out in the championship game after rumors of being up all night partying. Carolina Football/Garcia in a nutshell.

Garcia could truck a Florida linebacker in the swamp for a TD (which he did) and get floored by a forearm shiv from a ref (which he did). He remains my favorite qb here; wish both sides could have controlled themselves a little better.

Reactions: 92Pony
Beating #1 Bama and then losing to Kentucky the next week and getting blown out in the championship game after rumors of being up all night partying. Carolina Football/Garcia in a nutshell.

Let's not forget the pizza bowl. I don't recall exactly what transpired with Garcia the night before, but I recall Spurrier was pi**ed with Garcia.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT