ADVERTISEMENT

Who is Spurrier circa 1989

ScWildthing61

Sep 10, 2011
In November of 1988, Florida St. massacred Florida 52-17. All the newspaper articles stated that it was clear that the two programs were in different stratospheres. And that Florida coach Galen Hall(hint we have the current version of him) clearly was not getting the job done. Just prior to that 52-17 debacle, Hall's contract had been renewed for another year, so he safe no matter what happened vs FSU(sound familiar) and so he returned in 1989(he would be fired during that year) and after another loss to FSU in 1989, on December 31 of that year Florida went and got Spurrier. And we all know how that turned out for them.

Clemson is the modern day(albeit more successful) version of Florida St. Last time I checked 38-3 is the same margin as 52-17, and it's clear they're in a different stratosphere from us. If Clemson is going to be the modern day Florida St, we need to be Spurrier's Gators. I don't know who the current coach is who is what Spurrier was in 1989, but that is who we need.

If Minnesota is to the Big Ten what Duke was to the ACC, then PJ Fleck may be your man. He probably isnt going to win the Big Ten with the Golden Gophers, but he's doing a lot with not much. He's driving the crap out of a Chrysler K-car. If you give him the keys to a Mustang, he might start beating Ferraris.

Last edited:
Since Spurrier graduated from UF, to keep a perfect, we'd have to be looking for a graduate.

In November of 1988, Florida St. massacred Florida 52-17. All the newspaper articles stated that it was clear that the two programs were in different stratospheres. And that Florida coach Galen Hall(hint we have the current version of him) clearly was not getting the job done. Just prior to that 52-17 debacle, Hall's contract had been renewed for another year, so he safe no matter what happened vs FSU(sound familiar) and so he returned in 1989(he would be fired during that year) and after another loss to FSU in 1989, on December 31 of that year Florida went and got Spurrier. And we all know how that turned out for them.

Clemson is the modern day(albeit more successful) version of Florida St. Last time I checked 38-3 is the same margin as 52-17, and it's clear they're in a different stratosphere from us. If Clemson is going to be the modern day Florida St, we need to be Spurrier's Gators. I don't know who the current coach is who is what Spurrier was in 1989, but that is who we need.

I need some help here, how is Galen Hall a version of what we have here?

Since Spurrier graduated from UF, to keep a perfect, we'd have to be looking for a graduate.
Eric Kimrey.... Obviously he is not equipped to step right up and run a college team after only running a HS team, but he is a smart guy, played under one of the all time greats- Holtz- and he is a good coach (father was a damn good one too right?) who is passionate and has some off the wall ideas about the game. We need to get him on staff somewhere... Eventually. Thought there was some chatter about that this past offseason.

If Minnesota is to the Big Ten what Duke was to the ACC, then PJ Fleck may be your man. He probably isnt going to win the Big Ten with the Golden Gophers, but he's doing a lot with not much. He's driving the crap out of a Chrysler K-car. If you give him the keys to a Mustang, he might start beating Ferraris.

I would say Northwestern is the Duke of the Big Ten. The Gophers are a state school, Publicly funded.

Would you even consider the Gamecocks to be a Mustang right now?

Would you even consider the Gamecocks to be a Mustang right now?
Well, we're kind of like the old Mustangs that had the 4-cylinder engines. We look like a Mustang, we have the same dimensions as a Mustang, but we dont perform like a Mustang. The point about Fleck is that his teams play beyond their star-ratings. I think that's what we need. And with the wins on the field, higher star ratings and wins on the recruiting trail will follow.

Home run hire....everybody's dream. Paint yourself into that corner and we'll wind up with another Muschamp.

Unless another HBC falls into our lap, find another up and coming dabo and give him a shot with a well crafted contract.

find another up and coming dabo and give him a shot with a well crafted contract.

If Muschamp falls flat again, and Louisiana Lafayette has another 10 win season, give me Billy Napier, I know some fans will say he did this or that when at Clemson, but the fact he was fired by Dabo and football coaches are competitive people, so he has a grudge, I don't care what is said publically, he would be a good fit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT