Votes: 64 53.8%
  • Scarnecchia

Votes: 55 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GamecockJL

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2015
I think Bentley needs some serious time on the bench. Let the senior get the start.

Reactions: HI Cock
Bentley...... Sadly, he by far better than any other option we have right now. Next year, could be different with Joyner another year in the system and Hilinski coming in.

Bentley unless he is too injured which I doubt.

Scarneccia looked good on the 5 yard slant and we could run that and win but it looked better because Kentucky was dropping 7 and giving that to us every single play he was in. It would not be there to start a game.

Bentley...... Sadly, he by far better than any other option we have right now. Next year, could be different with Joyner another year in the system and Hilinski coming in.
Why do only our players need “another year in the system “

Reactions: Bclc829
Some of the starting receivers shouldn’t start with their butter fingers either

Reactions: Bclc829

Getting freaking tired of hearing that line.

Other schools take freshmen like Joyner and have a wildcat package for him first game. Then they try him out now and then with the regular offense.

Heck other schools say "WTF, let's try a wildcat. Can't hurt."

And they grab a wr or running back and put in a package in one week.

But here it's like it takes a year and a degree in wildcatology before you can be trusted to take a snap doing something that true freshman have done routinely in their first games for years across the country.

Getting freaking tired of hearing that line.

Other schools take freshmen like Joyner and have a wildcat package for him first game. Then they try him out now and then with the regular offense.

Heck other schools say "WTF, let's try a wildcat. Can't hurt."

And they grab a wr or running back and put in a package in one week.

But here it's like it takes a year and a degree in wildcatology before you can be trusted to take a snap doing something that true freshman have done routinely in their first games for years across the country.

It’s one of two things.
1. Either our players are not as smart as players at other schools
2. Coaches ain’t as smart

exactly, I thought our WR's were going to be the best that ever stepped on the field..Smith, Deebo, Edwards all on the field at the same time was going to be unstoppable...

Did they all forget or has coaching ruined them

Jake the snake

Out of bitterness I suppose, I've been making up new nicknames for him.

Jake the Stank (think this is my fave)
Jake the Fake

Then I started thinking. I don't dislike him. I don't get a bad person vibe off him. What he is is an inaccurate passer who apparently will never be able to read defenses or find open receivers.

The problem isn't him. The problem is that he definitely isn't pro material, and probably should be playing somewhere like Furman or Coastal. Kids that eventually turn out to peak at his level are signed by SEC schools every year.

But they don't become starters very often.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
And I got crucified for stating that McIlwain's mom was right.

There have to be more problems with the offense than just Jake. There has to be right?

But the problem is, he seems to be getting worse.

I think this season has a pretty reasonable chance of turning into a debacle. Like a 3-8 debacle.

At this point I wish Muschamp would bench Bentley and see what Scarnecchia looked like as a starter. Not expecting Scarnecchia to win games with his arm, or his legs. Actually I don't expect him to win games at all exactly.

Our offensive line, both last year and this, has given Jake plenty of time to throw. Actually he has had longer to get it off than most qb's in this league get, at least it seems that way to me.

If Scarnecchia can just make the easy throws, find one of the plethora of open receivers we have in any given game, and just not fumble he'll be better than what we have now.

What gets me is Jake continually makes crazy dumb throws and moves that the other team doesn't exploit. Crazy shovel passes that could easily be intercepted by defensive linemen for example. Or hanging ducks the other team drops.

And yeah, I know Bobby Bentley is on the sideline. But this isn't working. And the future of the remainder of the coaching staff, the desire of the other players on the team to have a good season, and frankly the interests of the fans in the stands outweigh that.

I fully realize putting a 5th year senior who has never really played before as a starter is a crazy move. But it has literally gotten to that point. If you don't believe me, rewatch our games from this year.

Scarnecchia would make dumb throws, mistakes, but at this point I believe the negatives from that would be less than continuing this sideshow.

I saw Mcilwain run for the TD last night, but be honest... outside of his athleticism, he is not an upgrade from JB.
Maybe, maybe not. He was thrown into the lion's den because we had little choice...and at a time we were without some of our best playmakers. Who knows how he would have developed. He really wasn't any older than Bentley....and was as highly regarded coming out of HS.

Reactions: lakeworld
There have to be more problems with the offense than just Jake. There has to be right?

But the problem is, he seems to be getting worse.

I think this season has a pretty reasonable chance of turning into a debacle. Like a 3-8 debacle.

At this point I wish Muschamp would bench Bentley and see what Scarnecchia looked like as a starter. Not expecting Scarnecchia to win games with his arm, or his legs. Actually I don't expect him to win games at all exactly.

Our offensive line, both last year and this, has given Jake plenty of time to throw. Actually he has had longer to get it off than most qb's in this league get, at least it seems that way to me.

If Scarnecchia can just make the easy throws, find one of the plethora of open receivers we have in any given game, and just not fumble he'll be better than what we have now.

What gets me is Jake continually makes crazy dumb throws and moves that the other team doesn't exploit. Crazy shovel passes that could easily be intercepted by defensive linemen for example. Or hanging ducks the other team drops.

And yeah, I know Bobby Bentley is on the sideline. But this isn't working. And the future of the remainder of the coaching staff, the desire of the other players on the team to have a good season, and frankly the interests of the fans in the stands outweigh that.

I fully realize putting a 5th year senior who has never really played before as a starter is a crazy move. But it has literally gotten to that point. If you don't believe me, rewatch our games from this year.

Scarnecchia would make dumb throws, mistakes, but at this point I believe the negatives from that would be less than continuing this sideshow.
I think so. I think we have too many coaches coaching out of their best position...and one that shouldn't be coaching on this level at all.

Reactions: The Cool Cock
Taters proved yesterday that freshman QB are not experience enough to play. Not even in the All Cupcake Conference. I bet Dabo wishes he could get a do over! Taters will loose 4 or 5 games this year with freshman QB who is fragile.

Taters proved yesterday that freshman QB are not experience enough to play. Not even in the All Cupcake Conference. I bet Dabo wishes he could get a do over! Taters will loose 4 or 5 games this year with freshman QB who is fragile.

We have a senior that ain’t ready!!!!!!!

I start Scarnechia, just as a motivator for Jake. Jake has got to get more accurate. He consistently throws high onshort routes, and 90% of his long throws are underthrown. Maybe if jake sat for the first 2 series he may say damn, i better prove myself and play better. This last game was atrocious for him and the wr corp.

I start Scarnechia, just as a motivator for Jake. Jake has got to get more accurate. He consistently throws high onshort routes, and 90% of his long throws are underthrown. Maybe if jake sat for the first 2 series he may say damn, i better prove myself and play better. This last game was atrocious for him and the wr corp.
At least he is not over throwing I guess
WR drop two passes the need to sit too

I say start Scarnechia due to Bentley is “hurt” and needs another week off to heal and see what he can do in a game..what can it hurt?

Help me out. What was she right about? I'm not disputing you; I just don't remember.
She said McIlwain didn't have a fair shot because a lot of the playmakers (Dowdle, Edwards, Samuel) were out when he played. Also said that Bentley was given a better opportunity because he was the coach's son.

Reactions: LazyIslander
She said McIlwain didn't have a fair shot because a lot of the playmakers (Dowdle, Edwards, Samuel) were out when he played. Also said that Bentley was given a better opportunity because he was the coach's son.
In all honesty, I don't think her son was going to elevate this program and her remarks are a mother's understandable sour grapes. I wish things had worked out better.

I say start Scarnechia due to Bentley is “hurt” and needs another week off to heal and see what he can do in a game..what can it hurt?

YES! Use the injury to give Scar a tryout. If he does well, Jake and his dad will just have to deal with it.

I actually wanted McIlwain to win the job. Mainly because I thought a good runner/decent passer would be better for us than a pro type guy. Basically a 2nd Connor Shaw.

But I think Muschamp made the right move - for that moment in time. McElwain wasn't really that effective a runner for us. Which I think really reflects on the athleticism of Pac-12 defenses.

Honestly, if UDub somehow makes the play by going 12-1 or something, does anyone not expect their clock to get cleaned by Alabama, Georgia, or the like?

Just saying I don't think McElwain produces nearly as well on the ground at South Carolina as opposed to California.

Then again if he were still here, maybe he would be the best option today.

I actually wanted McIlwain to win the job. Mainly because I thought a good runner/decent passer would be better for us than a pro type guy. Basically a 2nd Connor Shaw.

But I think Muschamp made the right move - for that moment in time. McElwain wasn't really that effective a runner for us. Which I think really reflects on the athleticism of Pac-12 defenses.

Honestly, if UDub somehow makes the play by going 12-1 or something, does anyone not expect their clock to get cleaned by Alabama, Georgia, or the like?

Just saying I don't think McElwain produces nearly as well on the ground at South Carolina as opposed to California.

Then again if he were still here, maybe he would be the best option today.
I would've liked to see what he could do with more development and more experience. Wish he would've stayed.

You shouldnt have to be Tom Brady to hand the ball off or throw bubble screens and short yard passes. To be honest,if no one on the bench can do that this team has more problems than we have seen

I thought Jake played great as a freshman. Then he had a sophomore slump. And now...he’s not getting any better. I guess he peeked early.

I thought we hired a top QB guru....???
Man, sure did just feel like I was watching the same old Gamecocks Sat night (you know, the ones weve been watching 85% of our lives)
I'm ever the optimist and pump a lot of sunshine but in order to stay that way I need to pull back a little. Still will be excited to watch on gameday (I always think we got a chance) but itll start to kill my soul if I follow it daily. Sucks

No way in hell they lose 4 or 5 games with that schedule. That was a freak hit and the kid would have went back in

Reactions: 92Pony and Zann77
He couldn’t hit the broad side of the a barn unfortunately. I think he could have used some time to develop. He’s not doing much at Cal yet. Playing some but has more rushing than passing yards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT