ADVERTISEMENT

Who watched Halftime- Thoughts?

Just drive a flatbed truck out to the nearest endzone..and have a band play a 10 minute set. That way you can keep the halftimes at 15 minutes like the rules say.

Just drive a flatbed truck out to the nearest endzone..and have a band play a 10 minute set. That way you can keep the halftimes at 15 minutes like the rules say.
Heck no the 1/2 time show is one of the reason I even watch the Super Bowl. I doubt I would watch if they did that.

You can go on about this all day, but we all can recognize that most band programs are dying and most kids today want to just be entertained by music. They don't care where it comes or care how much work was put into it. They just want it to sound good to them. My brother is a band director and he goes through this frustration every day. So, we can go all go on about musical talent, but most people under 40 just don't care. Most concerts that you go to today will not have one musical instrument on the stage. The people with the musical talent may be appreciated but bore the younger generation to death. So, there are pros and cons to both.
Don’t disagree with your assessment of what most of today’s youth listen to. But I’d like to think there are a few under 30’s out there that appreciate true musical talent. Which some of the younger artist‘s have as well.

Don’t disagree with your assessment of what most of today’s youth listen to. But I’d like to think there are a few under 30’s out there that appreciate true musical talent. Which some of the younger artist‘s have as well.
Again their are rappers that you don’t know their whole story. Flavor flav as crazy as it is can play enough instruments to be his own band. Can play the bass right and left handed.

I thought it was incredible - especially for a lot of middle aged artists re-performing 30 year old hits. But let’s face it - the crowd on this forum is generally an older crowd. I think they’d rather see Three Dog Night perform…

Reactions: MTsumner92
I’ll say that when I can make out what they’re saying while vigorously and to me, inexplicably punching the air, some of the “lyrics” appear pretty clever. I think. I don’t get why hip hop “dancers” always look so angry. Or like pole/lap dancers. Perhaps if we could make out the “lyrics”….

While putting together a bunch of rhymes to some canned scratchy beat with sometimes very vulgar lyrics has proven to be great entertainment and is the overwhelming choice of music listened to by todays youth. But by No means confuse it with the talent it takes to read music, actually sing ( not talk ) a song with a skilled band behind you. Lets see
Michale Buble vs Lil Baby
Aretha Franklin vs Nicki Minaj
Nat King Cole vs Kendick Lamar
Barbara Streisand vs Cardi B
Frank Sinatra vs Lil Wayne
Whitney Houston vs Megan thee Stallion
John Legend vs Young Thug
Adele vs Doja Cat
While these and many more rap/ hip hop artists are great performers and entertainers. They do not have the complete musical talent, knowledge and vocal ability to truly sing and deliver a song like those in the left column.
I do think that Drake, Beyonce and some other of todays popular artists have great vocal talent and entertaining ability, but I would not call them strictly Hip-Hop / Rappers

Interesting that your list of “good singers” contains people who never wrote their own songs, don’t play instruments or read music and their “singing” is often “melodic talking”.

You are being arrogant again. What you appreciate is not what others may appreciate. Personally, I don't like guitars especially the lead guitar. That's why I don't have an appreciation for rock music. However, I don't say they don't have musical talent. You feel how you feel. However, I am just not a guy that will dismiss something I don't like or appreciate. Not only are you dismissing the people that perform that art, but the people that may like it. I am not big on the rap of today. However, Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre is right down my wheel house and not something that I just grow out of and you are talking to a guy that has many musicians in my family and a few music instructors and band directors.

Reactions: funktavious
You nailed it. That’s the big problem with a lot of things.
and it's our fault. Many people don't want to fund public schools or music programs. After decades of this, rap music is what you have. It's amazing that kids that have not been exposed to classical musical training or instruments created a sound of their own, first through music of the past and now digital programs and apps that you can put on your phone. However, many want to put people down instead of appreciate them creating something for themselves.

Last edited:
You are being arrogant again. What you appreciate is not what others may appreciate. Personally, I don't like guitars especially the lead guitar. That's why I don't have an appreciation for rock music. However, I don't say they don't have musical talent. You feel how you feel. However, I am just not a guy that will dismiss something I don't like or appreciate. Not only are you dismissing the people that perform that art, but the people that may like it. I am not big on the rap of today. However, Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre is right down my wheel house and not something that I just grow out of and you are talking to a guy that has many musicians in my family and a few music instructors and band directors.
Then you might want to talk with your family. They can explain it to you

Interesting that your list of “good singers” contains people who never wrote their own songs, don’t play instruments or read music and their “singing” is often “melodic talking”.
I’ll stick with my list

Then you might want to talk with your family. They can explain it to you
Guess what. My Dad tried in the 80's. Said rap was a fad and that it would be gone in 10 years. Guess what he did by 2000. Admit he was wrong. Said, he didn't like it personally, but could understand how others could. My brother is a band director now in Florence. I know for a fact that he has Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre on his playlist. So, you are just not in a world where that is big and that is okay. However, when you dismiss those that listen to this type of music you are dismissing a whole lot of people. I know President Obama has Jay-Z on his playlist and probably has Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre on there too. Music is used for entertainment and what may entertain you may not entertain others. That doesn't say anything bad about them or you.

One man's trash is another man's treasure, as the old saying goes. Rap music has its place, but it will never replace all other music, as you seem to suggest.

Reactions: Snake006
I was in HS and college in the 90’s and was front and center when hip hop emerged mainstream in late 80’s. The older I got I listened to all genres of music on XM and couldn’t believe the extent of musical theft these artists committed. There is a reason modern music sucks so much. They aren’t allowed to “sample” like the 90’s artists. So These guys score an F for originality, but A for creativity and style.

I was in HS and college in the 90’s and was front and center when hip hop emerged mainstream in late 80’s. The older I got I listened to all genres of music on XM and couldn’t believe the extent of musical theft these artists committed. There is a reason modern music sucks so much. They aren’t allowed to “sample” like the 90’s artists. So These guys score an F for originality, but A for creativity and style.
Artists are allowed to sample if they choose. All they have to do is pay the cost to clear a sample just like in the 90's. Rap has just slowly moved away from that. My 16 year old and many teenagers think the 90's rap that you and I think is so great is boring. My son and I argue about this all the time. So, commercial music passes us all by at some point as the trends are chosen by the 18-25 year old demographic.

Thank you.
I don't know why you are saying thank you. You have been on here acting like Rap music didn't even deserve respect. Further, I never said that Rap music would replace other types of music. My main point has been is that people like what they like and just because "you don't like it" does not mean that it is not "real". Correct me if that is not the term you used. The musical preferences of people are easily tracked and what they show is that Rock listeners are generally over 36 and still tend to use the radio as a platform to receive music. Pop and Rap listeners tend to be in the 18-25 demographic and tend to stream their music from apps like Apple Music or Spotify. The top artists on the radio receive 154,000 plays a month. The top artists on Spotify exceed 60 million streams per month. What it says is what we all should know. The youth consume more music and determine where trends are going. Heck, who knows what the next generation of youth decide for their listening choices. It may trend back more to Rock. However, the truth is that middle-aged men like me won't be deciding where popular music trends go.

I don't know why you are saying thank you. You have been on here acting like Rap music didn't even deserve respect. Further, I never said that Rap music would replace other types of music. My main point has been is that people like what they like and just because "you don't like it" does not mean that it is not "real". Correct me if that is not the term you used. The musical preferences of people are easily tracked and what they show is that Rock listeners are generally over 36 and still tend to use the radio as a platform to receive music. Pop and Rap listeners tend to be in the 18-25 demographic and tend to stream their music from apps like Apple Music or Spotify. The top artists on the radio receive 154,000 plays a month. The top artists on Spotify exceed 60 million streams per month. What it says is what we all should know. The youth consume more music and determine where trends are going. Heck, who knows what the next generation of youth decide for their listening choices. It may trend back more to Rock. However, the truth is that middle-aged men like me won't be deciding where popular music trends go.
I never said rap is not "real" music. It most definitely is. And it seems to have a large following with the younger crowd and some older people like it also. I said and stand by the fact while very entertaining to many it does not require the same vocal and musical ability, and talented band arrangement as the majority of Classic singers and their bands have produced over the last 100 years.
I don't hate Rap, it's just not for me. This is my last post on this discussion.
But if you want to keep on beating that pot for Hip Hop and Rap. Knock yourself out.

I never said rap is not "real" music. It most definitely is. And it seems to have a large following with the younger crowd and some older people like it also. I said and stand by the fact while very entertaining to many it does not require the same vocal and musical ability, and talented band arrangement as the majority of Classic singers and their bands have produced over the last 100 years.
I don't hate Rap, it's just not for me. This is my last post on this discussion.
But if you want to keep on beating that pot for Hip Hop and Rap. Knock yourself out.
If you had posted like this before, I never would have had a problem. As you said, you like what you like. However, what if I had come on here and start going on about Rock being nothing but guys strumming noise on guitars. That would have been disrespectful. I see the music threads on here. Most of the music talked about in them are not for me. So, I don't participate because I have nothing positive to add to the discussion. However, I have noticed a trend on here that some people just hop on threads to be negative, have nothing to contribute to the conversation, and have very little knowledge about the topic. They come off as arrogant and just rub me the wrong way.

You can go on about this all day, but we all can recognize that most band programs are dying and most kids today want to just be entertained by music. They don't care where it comes or care how much work was put into it. They just want it to sound good to them. My brother is a band director and he goes through this frustration every day. So, we can go all go on about musical talent, but most people under 40 just don't care. Most concerts that you go to today will not have one musical instrument on the stage. The people with the musical talent may be appreciated but bore the younger generation to death. So, there are pros and cons to both.
Wait a min, you saying most concerts today have no musical instruments on stage? Every single concert I've been to the last 50 yrs including last year ALL had instruments on stage...imma gonna have to scratch my head on that one.

Adcoop made an interesting point, and I agree with it. The reality is that no one cares about our opinions. The <25 year old population drives the trends in music. This is why you see trends change. Aside from a few timeliness wonders that are few and far between, trends change and most of us get stuck on our eras.

The Beatles, Elvis, Led Zeppelin, are all generational legends. You think these younger kids have ever heard a single song from them? Nope.

And you’ve likely not heard a song from Drake, Lil Uzi Vert, or Doja Cat.

But guess which group tops the charts?

Glad Snoop didn’t bring in the poles and pole dancers like he did at the Kansas midnight madness, which em was supposedly a family atmosphere. They must have cleaned it up last night. I like good artists of all races and nationalities and cultures that have musical talent (which rap does not). I prefer Charlie Pride. But if I don’t like it I don’t cry foul, it’s easy to change the channel.

Dr Dre said last week this would be a professional atmosphere- which I took to mean it would not be controversial.

People, depending on their generation, like different things. You may like country or rock and roll because that was the music of your time. However, this is the computer generation. Many young kids will say, "what is that", if you pull out a guitar now. Even if they recognize it, they are not into a guitar-based or acoustic music like that. The funny thing is that a lot of the rap now sounds eerily similar to country music just with heavy bass over the top of it. So, just like David Chappelle showed in one of his skits, every generation or group of people has their instrument.

My 18 year old listens to some sort of Japanese computer anime music. To him that's the best thing going.

He knows music. He plays in the high school marching band, jazz band, etc. I've taken him to a few jazz trumpet concerts. He didn't like the music but did like the ability of the trumpet player.

I've played 60's, 70's, 80's and even 90's music for him and he can't stand it. He views it like I viewed 60's music when I was in high school in the 80s. But now I love 60s music.

Reactions: ShannonL
While putting together a bunch of rhymes to some canned scratchy beat with sometimes very vulgar lyrics has proven to be great entertainment and is the overwhelming choice of music listened to by todays youth. But by No means confuse it with the talent it takes to read music, actually sing ( not talk ) a song with a skilled band behind you. Lets see
Michale Buble vs Lil Baby
Aretha Franklin vs Nicki Minaj
Nat King Cole vs Kendick Lamar
Barbara Streisand vs Cardi B
Frank Sinatra vs Lil Wayne
Whitney Houston vs Megan thee Stallion
John Legend vs Young Thug
Adele vs Doja Cat
While these and many more rap/ hip hop artists are great performers and entertainers. They do not have the complete musical talent, knowledge and vocal ability to truly sing and deliver a song like those in the left column.
I do think that Drake, Beyonce and some other of todays popular artists have great vocal talent and entertaining ability, but I would not call them strictly Hip-Hop / Rappers
Wow, why not throw Chopin, Beethoven and Bach in the comparison. Music evolves. In thirty years Dre, Snoop, Eminem, Nicki and others will be in the left column.

I admit I do have a bias toward artists that know music and write their own musical notes. But there aren't a lot of them that do that.

Now, there are also artists like Smokey Robinson who admits he doesn't know music- but Smokey does have the talent and ability to come up with songs in his head and what he wants the melody to be, and what the orchestration should sound like- and he worked with people who would write the music.

Smokey of course also would write the lyrics. The man was responsible for so many great songs in the 60s- it's almost unbelievable. It's also a bit sad that so many young kids don't even know him or the name.

He is someone I have immense respect for as a musician. He's probably my favorite musician from the 60s. Sure, he doesn't know music in the way someone would read music or write musical notes, but the sheer talent to come up with so many melodies and the lyrics to so many incredible songs is a rare, rare music talent.

I can play a little piano. I have played the Trumpet for years in a church orchestra. But I can't think up a new melody to a song to save my life. Every time I think of one, I realize it's already a song I've heard before.

Lots of people who know music and can play music and read music can't think up decent lyrics or a decent melody.

Last edited:
I admit I do have a bias toward artists that know music and write their own musical notes. But there aren't a lot of them that do that.

Now, there are also artists like Smokey Robinson who admits he doesn't know music- but Smokey does have the talent and ability to come up with songs in his head and what he wants the melody to be, and what the orchestration should sound like- and he worked with people who would write the music.

Smokey of course also would write the lyrics. The man was responsible for so many great songs in the 60s- it's almost unbelievable. It's also a bit sad that so many young kids don't even know him or the name.

He is someone I have immense respect for as a musician. He's probably my favorite musician from the 60s. Sure, he doesn't know music in the way someone would read music or write musical notes, but the sheer talent to come up with so many melodies and the lyrics to so many incredible songs is a rare, rare music talent.

I can play a little piano. I have played the Trumpet for years in a church orchestra. But I can't think up a new melody to a song to save my life. Ever time I think of one, I realize it's already a song I've heard before.

Lots of people who know music and can play music and read music can't think up decent lyrics or a decent melody.
There are two big items that the top rappers have seemed to master in the entertainment business that singers many times have not. They, in many cases, write their own lyrics and self-contain the publishing on it. Many started out in their communities selling music out of the trunk of their cars until they got so big that the music industry had to respond to them. They have, also, been able to transition their talent into other industries. They have proven to be better business people than singers in the industry. Tupac with acting, Ice Cube with writing and directing movies along with acting, Queen Latifah with acting (does anybody really remember that she started by rapping too), Will Smith acting again, P Diddy being a music exec, clothing line owner, and Chiroc investor, Dr. Dre being a music mogul and investor behind the Beats headphones (The man is worth 850 million after giving his wife a 100 million dollar divorce settlement and we have people on here disrespecting the man), 50 Cent being the writer and director behind the Power series on Starz, Snoop Dogg as a television personality with Martha Stewart and commercial spokesperson. ...and I haven't even mentioned Jay-Z and Kanye West. Probably the two rappers that have the highest net worth. Say want you want about rap or rappers, but somehow whatever talent they have seems to transition into bigger things than just saying words on a scratchy beat.

I can play a little piano. I have played the Trumpet for years in a church orchestra. But I can't think up a new melody to a song to save my life. Ever time I think of one, I realize it's already a song I've heard before.

The thing is Dr. Dre can do everything you just listed.

There are two big items that the top rappers have seemed to master in the entertainment business that singers many times have not. They, in many cases, write their own lyrics and self-contain the publishing on it. Many started out in their communities selling music out of the trunk of their cars until they got so big that the music industry had to respond to them. They have, also, been able to transition their talent into other industries. They have proven to be better business people than singers in the industry. Tupac with acting, Ice Cube with writing and directing movies along with acting, Queen Latifah with acting (does anybody really remember that she started by rapping too), Will Smith acting again, P Diddy being a music exec, clothing line owner, and Chiroc investor, Dr. Dre being a music mogul and investor behind the Beats headphones (The man is worth 850 million after giving his wife a 100 million dollar divorce settlement and we have people on here disrespecting the man), 50 Cent being the writer and director behind the Power series on Starz, Snoop Dogg as a television personality with Martha Stewart and commercial spokesperson. ...and I haven't even mentioned Jay-Z and Kanye West. Probably the two rappers that have the highest net worth. Say want you want about rap or rappers, but somehow whatever talent they have seems to transition into bigger things than just saying words on a scratchy beat.

Musicians that are good actors are really talented people- and I mean good actors- not just acting.

Will Smith is a good actor and he has a solid musical background.

My standard bearer in this is Frank Sinatra. Frank was a terrific actor. He could have been a terrific actor for his entire career and never sang a song and would have been considered one of the greats of Hollywood. He almost is anyway. That's a rare thing.

I really like Michael Buble. He's a lot like Frank when it comes to music. I love his Christmas specials on NBC because they remind me so much of Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra. I love his music and his talent. He does skits and he's good. But he's not an actor. Maybe he can't act. It doesn't matter. He's a great musical talent. It just goes to show how talented someone is that can really act- and is also a really good musician.

Another along those lines is Harry Connick Jr. He can act, and he is a great musician.

Reactions: Scooter2001
I accept that. I'm just not familiar with him as much because I am not a fan of his style of music. But I can respect that he can do that.

It's just one is going to naturally favor someone that does that and produces music one really, really likes- like a Smokey Robinson did for me. I respect him so much because he had so many great songs that he could have done himself- and done well- and made big hits, but he was talented enough and smart enough and generous enough to know turn some of those over to other people that made them big hits and helped them in their careers.

I am sure there are rap folks just like that- but I just don't know them because it's not my thing.

I accept that. I'm just not familiar with him as much because I am not a fan of his style of music. But I can respect that he can do that.

It's just one is going to naturally favor someone that does that and produces music one really, really likes- like a Smokey Robinson did for me. I respect him so much because he had so many great songs that he could have done himself- and done well- and made big hits, but he was talented enough and smart enough and generous enough to know turn some of those over to other people that made them big hits and helped them in their careers.

I am sure there are rap folks just like that- but I just don't know them because it's not my thing.
I get that. We all listen to what is appealing. I like all music from classical like Bach to hip hop. Dre is defiantly that person in the rap game. Took a history of rock and roll class for the heck of it one summer in college. One of the coolest classes I have ever taken.

Reactions: Scooter2001
I’ve never watched a Super Bowl halftime — and I’ve watched every Super Bowl since the beginning. In Fact, I’ve only watched one halftime of any sport in my life — and that was because my daughter was performing on the court with her jump rope team at a San Antonio Spurs game in 1985. I hate halftime of every sport.

It was ok, but it's going to be tough for anybody to top Prince's halftime performance in 2007. He was a little purple freak, but he was talented and could put on a show.

It was ok, but it's going to be tough for anybody to top Prince's halftime performance in 2007. He was a little purple freak, but he was talented and could put on a show.
The problem for most people when it comes to a half time show is liking the music or not. I like 1 prince song, purple rain. Other than that you lose me. Because of that I would put several other halftime shows in front of prince. A lot of that has to do with my preference of music. To me Bruno Mars was better than Prince. It all correlates back to your preference or music. I would like to know how many people that say prince was the best, are rock fans.

Reactions: kidrobinski
Well, there are a lot of different types of music just like everything else. That’s good. Variety. If everybody liked the same thing we’d be no better than clones and that would be boring. But what I don’t like is the rap lovers blaring their music out of their cars at the gas stations, stop lights, etc.. I don’t blast my bluegrass so loud is gets on everybody’s nerves. I don’t hear opera or gospel blasting the neighborhoods. Just show a little courtesy. Show some and it may be returned to you.

I certainly get your comment on Prince above a few posts. I play with a wedding/party band right now that plays a couple of his songs and people absolutely love them, but I simply don't get it.

But respectfully, the statement about Dr. Dre....thats kind of like saying Nolan Ryan can throw a baseball and I can too.

I certainly get your comment on Prince above a few posts. I play with a wedding/party band right now that plays a couple of his songs and people absolutely love them, but I simply don't get it.

But respectfully, the statement about Dr. Dre....thats kind of like saying Nolan Ryan can throw a baseball and I can too.
So I’m assuming you are aware of his music ability and the instruments he can play? Also are aware that most of his beats were made with instruments that he played?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT