ADVERTISEMENT

Who you got for Replacing Will?

Ok - so many on this board want him gone like yesterday's tuna melt. I get it, seems to be a good recruiter but players look undisciplined and poorly coached and it feels like his hires are questionable before the guy can even start and prove you right.

What about Syracuse's head coach Dino Babbers? They are 4-1 and while they don't have a lot of depth they certainly can go toe to toe with most for at least 3 qtrs. I also like Charlie Strong at USF, did well everywhere sans Texas and let's be honest, Herman hasn’t exactly over delivered there yet either. He may have them headed in the right direction, but if they get whooped this weekend by OU, look out, he may end up in an unusually warm seat for someone in his second year.

Who you got?
What I got this is crazy unless you want to set the program back at least 2-3 years. We have a very good group of recruits committed for 2019. The prospects appear to be better athletes then we have had. Replace this staff and many will disappear. With kids committing earlier, they would not be many left to recruit from for a new staff. This staff has some of the best recruiters we have ever had. They have worked their tails off to make inroads that are paying dividends. Fire them and a new group will be starting all over again. I'm as disappointed as anyone but let's not overreact and shoot ourselves in the foot.

Reactions: NetworkX
What I got this is crazy unless you want to set the program back at least 2-3 years. We have a very good group of recruits committed for 2019. The prospects appear to be better athletes then we have had. Replace this staff and many will disappear. With kids committing earlier, they would not be many left to recruit from for a new staff. This staff has some of the best recruiters we have ever had. They have worked their tails off to make inroads that are paying dividends. Fire them and a new group will be starting all over again. I'm as disappointed as anyone but let's not overreact and shoot ourselves in the foot.

Problem is what good are 4 star recruits if you got a 1 star coach developing them . Look at Butch Jones at UT or to a small extent Mark Richt at UGA . If this was Champs first head coaching job I would be all about giving him 4 to 5 years to build it . He had 4 YEARS at UF with a stacked Roster . What was the problem .... Poor offense , Poor QB development , couldn’t win the big game . Sound familiar ?? The only difference is at UF he had an Elite Defense loaded with NFL players ... not here . He’s gonna get at least another year even if we lose every game this season . All I know is next year’s schedule is brutal and he lose Deebo and Edwards most probably , and Jake is digressing every game . We will see .

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Problem is what good are 4 star recruits if you got a 1 star coach developing them . Look at Butch Jones at UT or to a small extent Mark Richt at UGA . If this was Champs first head coaching job I would be all about giving him 4 to 5 years to build it . He had 4 YEARS at UF with a stacked Roster . What was the problem .... Poor offense , Poor QB development , couldn’t win the big game . Sound familiar ?? The only difference is at UF he had an Elite Defense loaded with NFL players ... not here . He’s gonna get at least another year even if we lose every game this season . All I know is next year’s schedule is brutal and he lose Deebo and Edwards most probably , and Jake is digressing every game . We will see .
With all due respect, I counter that he inherited a depleted roster because his predecessor left a roster with too many semi-criminals. As a result Muschamp had a mandate to clean things up, which resulted in dismissing a number of excellent athletes who were embarassing UF with their behavior and antics and had to go. If memory serves me correct, Will Grier, the qb of the future, was one of them. Bottom line. Fl. is not a good measure.

With all due respect, I counter that he inherited a depleted roster because his predecessor left a roster with too many semi-criminals. As a result Muschamp had a mandate to clean things up, which resulted in dismissing a number of excellent athletes who were embarassing UF with their behavior and antics and had to go. If memory serves me correct, Will Grier, the qb of the future, was one of them. Bottom line. Fl. is not a good measure.
semi-criminals?

I rest my case in agreement, but I will continue to add that Dabo does and did not ever face the 4 to 6 games a year that we face. And never will in the Snowflake Conference. I'll go to my grave with that....but we gotta get serious with the purse strings ASAP about football.
We've lost our share to programs like The Citadel and Furman. The schedule argument doesn't really resonate with me.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Well, we are 28-20-1 against Furman and 40-8-3 against Citadel all-time.

So there’s 28 losses for you right there, three of which I can remember in my lifetime.
The very first game we played, in 1892, was a 44-0 loss to Furman. The game was played in Charleston. Furman had lost the week before 96-0 to Duke.

I do agree with you that he had a ton of cleaning up to do . Urban had totally lost control and that’s why he all of a sudden started having “Health Issues”. On the flip side that team was still LOADED even with the turnover . Still plenty of talent to win consistently . My biggest problem is the exact same issues he had at UF are the exact same issues here . Lucky for him and his staff our expectations are 100% lower than UF’s unfortunately so he will get more time .

Sorry, this is the type of thing that got us into trouble in the past. Spurrier said we had to keep Whammy because we had a nice recruiting class coming in. That was a terrible decision. Whammy wasn't just a bad coach, he was terrible at evaluating of talent. Last year, the recruiting class was clearly part of WM's decision on hiring internally.

What is gonna be different this time? Remember the search that led us to Will? How he was our "fifth choice" etc? How people said go get Tom Herman, go get this name, go get this name, and it didn't happen? How could all of that have fallen out of someone's head so quickly? I get people are bitching because we lost games and that's what fans do but seriously, if you've convinced yourself blowing everything up now is gonna yield better results I find that pretty illogical

Reactions: Athenscock1
The very first game we played, in 1892, was a 44-0 loss to Furman. The game was played in Charleston. Furman had lost the week before 96-0 to Duke.

So, was your question answered? “I am not aware of many FCS losses in our history. Could you provide a list?”

So, was your question answered? “I am not aware of many FCS losses in our history. Could you provide a list?”
Somewhat. I was pointing out that some of that record has to be thrown out as apples to oranges though because the games were played in an era where we're not in a completely different division/level of football than those schools. Carolina and Furman were once in the same conference, correct? The old Southern Conference?

Also, those details are cool right? I only learned recently that our first ever game was played in Charleston. Got it out of this book:

41M3KX6MY8L._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Somewhat. I was pointing out that some of that record has to be thrown out as apples to oranges though because the games were played in an era where we're not in a completely different division/level of football than those schools. Carolina and Furman were once in the same conference, correct? The old Southern Conference?

Yup. Most of those records are from long ago, with some recent examples too. One recent example is far too fresh.

Interesting history when you look back at football in the South. Both USC and Clemson’s first ever opponent was Furman. We stole Billy Laval away from Furman after he was really successful there.

Also find it interesting how the series with Clemson was suspended from 1903 until 1909 because of a brawl. Not much has changed.

And we didn’t play in 1906 because of the BOT. Maybe we would be a football power today if we had not lost the momentum and had to start all over again in 1907!

“The Board of Trustees banned participation in football for the 1906 season after the faculty complained that the coarseness of chants and cheers, yelled by the students at football games, were not gentlemanly in nature. Within months The Board of Trustees reversed their decision after hearing pleas, and receiving petitions, from students and alumni alike.”

Reactions: coolcock2001
We lose to #2 UGA and #13 UK so we're talking about firing the coach?

19004_Mah_Tantrum_72ppi_RGB_150pixw_zps004875af.jpg

Hey....it is FGF you know. Someone has to get fired for everything. No one is happy losing to UK and UGA, but WM took a dumpster fire and won 6 games then 9 in year two. I can see the board morons are back out so just ignore them. I always notice a rash of screen names you never see in threads like this. You know, the ones that never post when something good happens. It’s easy to figure out what is going on.

Reactions: Athenscock1
I have little doubt that if given the time and commitment, Muschamp can and will be a very successful coach at USC.

However, if it's consistent top 5 (elite status) level success that you want, then I doubt that he, or anyone, can achieve that at USC. While I understand that desire, that is not solely in control of the head coach. That would take a complete culture change, and is not in line with the university's current vision or purpose. The fact that Clemson currently enjoys such a status is irrelevant. And we all know that won't last forever.

But given time Muschamp will periodically have teams that compete for and win the division and the conference, along with others that just can't. This alone would make him the most successful coach in USC football history.

IMO, You guys are upset about the wrong thing. You didn't lose to your typical KY team. You lost to the #13 team in the country. They are a good team and you guys played them close. I also think you guys are a good team. You just aren't "top 10" good.

I totally get it if you are disappointed USC let KY pass you, but I don't understand "We should beat KY". The #13 team in the country usually beats unranked opponents . Champ has done a great job and top 25 is on the table for you guys.

I also do not think it's fair to judge any coach based on your 2019 schedule. D@mn...

I think SC had had their guy right under their nose twice and let them both get away.
Charlie Strong - He was never a fit for Texas and he was building a machine at UL (that has since been destroyed) and he arguable has the 2nd best team in the state of FL.
Shawn Elliott, yes, that's right. He was passionate, motivating and his success was to be defined by his future, not his history like SS and Holtz. But no one liked him because he was too much like Dabo. He seems to be doing good at Ga State.

Reactions: RoosterNRussia
I know folks are frustrated and think that a new coach, a new OC, and new QB, result in an instant fix. Muschamp can lose out the rest of the season and he will be back next year. When Spurrier drove recruiting in the ground, it left the program in shambles from a talent standpoint. You don't recover from that over night. Now is Muschamp a great coach that many think he is? I don't know. To be honest I wondered, and still do, as to if he couldn't win at UF what makes one think he wins in Columbia. And with next year's schedule, the team could be greatly improved and have an 8 win ceiling at best. Muchamp will be gone soon enough. If he turns the corner, he will leave for a more attractive opportunity. If not, by at least the '20 season he will get run. But I will say that he does need a wide space to recruit before any changes are made. Scheme is great, but it is all about talent folks.

I know folks are frustrated and think that a new coach, a new OC, and new QB, result in an instant fix. Muschamp can lose out the rest of the season and he will be back next year. When Spurrier drove recruiting in the ground, it left the program in shambles from a talent standpoint. You don't recover from that over night. Now is Muschamp a great coach that many think he is? I don't know. To be honest I wondered, and still do, as to if he couldn't win at UF what makes one think he wins in Columbia. And with next year's schedule, the team could be greatly improved and have an 8 win ceiling at best. Muchamp will be gone soon enough. If he turns the corner, he will leave for a more attractive opportunity. If not, by at least the '20 season he will get run. But I will say that he does need a wide space to recruit before any changes are made. Scheme is great, but it is all about talent folks.
Realistic post folks.

I have little doubt that if given the time and commitment, Muschamp can and will be a very successful coach at USC.

However, if it's consistent top 5 (elite status) level success that you want, then I doubt that he, or anyone, can achieve that at USC. While I understand that desire, that is not solely in control of the head coach. That would take a complete culture change, and is not in line with the university's current vision or purpose. The fact that Clemson currently enjoys such a status is irrelevant. And we all know that won't last forever.

But given time Muschamp will periodically have teams that compete for and win the division and the conference, along with others that just can't. This alone would make him the most successful coach in USC football history.
Realistic post.

Reactions: RoosterNRussia

If klempson can be in the top 5 we have every bit of the ability to do it as well.

Josh Huepel from UCF, Mike Norvell from Memphis, Neal Brown from Troy and Matt Campbell from Iowa St. would be my list. I actually had Campbell second behind Riley before we hired Muschamp originally. I love that guy.

Josh Huepel from UCF, Mike Norvell from Memphis, Neal Brown from Troy and Matt Campbell from Iowa St. would be my list. I actually had Campbell second behind Riley before we hired Muschamp originally. I love that guy.
Lay out your plan for how any of these represent an upgrade over Muschamp

Lay out your plan for how any of these represent an upgrade over Muschamp

Well let's see...Matt Campbell has taken over a traditional cellar dweller program and has already led them to victories over #6 WVU, #25 Oklahoma St, #3 Oklahoma and #4 TCU...and that's just within the last two years. Let me know when Muschamp beats a ranked team. Give him South Carolinas resources and god only knows what he can do. (yes SC is a huge upgrade over Iowa St in every way imaginable).

Well let's see...Matt Campbell has taken over a traditional cellar dweller program and has already led them to victories over #6 WVU, #25 Oklahoma St, #3 Oklahoma and #4 TCU...and that's just within the last two years. Let me know when Muschamp beats a ranked team. Give him South Carolinas resources and god only knows what he can do. (yes SC is a huge upgrade over Iowa St in every way imaginable).
That looks pretty good but what if you hire him and 2.5 years in you're sitting there 3-3? Then what?

Matt Campbell from Iowa St. would be my list. I actually had Campbell second behind Riley before we hired Muschamp originally. I love that guy.
He's impressive. How can he do that at such a perennial cellar dweller?

I think that means Duke would've beaten us 150-0?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT