ADVERTISEMENT

Whoa....LSU offer to Lincoln Riley makes Tucker's MSU offer look like chump change.

Why you are worth what people are willing to pay. Considering the amount of money college football has at play I would say it’s a just piece of the pie. Bill belicheik makes 18 million a year. How much do you believe he has brought in for the NE patriots over the years? Shouldn’t someone get paid what they are worth?
Yes, I agree the players generating all this cash should get paid.

After taxes, the money isn’t a huge difference, and OU gives him more each year. I’d much rather live in Norman (although Stillwater is better) than Baton Rouge.
But you have to admit nothing says I want to win like paying a coach 12mil a year. That shows dedication to winning and LSU would not hesitate to give him anything he wanted. Personally I think LSU is the better gig over Oklahoma.

It’s called capitalism and it is one thing that makes this country so great and keeps the American dream alive.

The American dream is not one of unbridled opulence. The rate at which college coaching salaries is increasing is not sustainable. These coaching salaries are doing harm to the game.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
Damn, that's an insane amount of money. I suppose that means, as many on here say, LSU is "serious about football". I'd say they've lost their ever-loving minds. I like to win football games, too, but that sport is just not worth that. Its not.

Yes. I contend the money is less about Riley's worth or perceived worth or value or perceived value and more about sending a message. Do you think it's a mere coincidence that LSU offers Riley $96 million on the heels of MSU offering Tucker $95 million?

The American dream is not one of unbridled opulence. The rate at which college coaching salaries is increasing is not sustainable. These coaching salaries are doing harm to the game.
We can agree to disagree that’s it’s not sustainable. To be honest you don’t have a clue if that statement is true. To know that you would have to be able to look at the universities books. I’m pretty sure LSU wouldn’t go bankrupt with football. They are spending the money because they have it. They also know how much money winning national championships brings in. Something USC and some college fans fail to understand.

No college coach is worth $12 million/yr.

Well, that's certainly your opinion. But I wasn't aware that you were ordained to write the rules.

I also think $12MM is a crazy amount to pay a college football coach. But I also know that football is the face of many universities, and a premier football team has great impact on many aspects of a school. And that impact very well could exceed $12MM/year. In fact, I'm sure it does.

Do you think actors and actresses do work that is worth $25MM+ per year? That's 2x what we're talking about here, and is what the top folks in Hollywood command.

Is Tom Brady's wife worth almost $50MM a year? (Sorry to call her Tom Brady's wife, but I'm not about to try to spell her name.)

The market is the market - it may seem preposterous, but it would be even worse for any of us to tell someone that there is a limit to their earnings potential. Competition is a good thing, and those with the rarest of talent and commitment tend to get tremendously rewarded.

Damn, that's an insane amount of money. I suppose that means, as many on here say, LSU is "serious about football". I'd say they've lost their ever-loving minds. I like to win football games, too, but that sport is just not worth that. Its not.
Tell that to Alabama, Clemson, Ohio state and the the others that at at the top of the game recently. Take Clemson for instance because their success is recent. Just look at what had been built and the money that had been spent since they turned things around (excluding this year of course for this conversation). If you don’t think winning national championships in college football is not profitable for the university in a big way I can’t help you.

Well, that's certainly your opinion. But I wasn't aware that you were ordained to write the rules.

I also think $12MM is a crazy amount to pay a college football coach. But I also know that football is the face of many universities, and a premier football team has great impact on many aspects of a school. And that impact very well could exceed $12MM/year. In fact, I'm sure it does.

Do you think actors and actresses do work that is worth $25MM+ per year? That's 2x what we're talking about here, and is what the top folks in Hollywood command.

Is Tom Brady's wife worth almost $50MM a year? (Sorry to call her Tom Brady's wife, but I'm not about to try to spell her name.)

The market is the market - it may seem preposterous, but it would be even worse for any of us to tell someone that there is a limit to their earnings potential. Competition is a good thing, and those with the rarest of talent and commitment tend to get tremendously rewarded.
Well said

I will also add that in situations like these it shows why USC will always be at a disadvantage. The best coaches will go to the places who send these types of messages. That much money says 2 things. We are willing to win at all cost and we will provide you with the money to do it.

Reactions: 92Pony
Tell that to Alabama, Clemson, Ohio state and the the others that at at the top of the game recently. Take Clemson for instance because their success is recent. Just look at what had been built and the money that had been spent since they turned things around (excluding this year of course for this conversation). If you don’t think winning national championships in college football is not profitable for the university in a big way I can’t help you.
I guess I can't be helped. I tend to fall more in line with schools like Vanderbilt, Duke, Stanford, Yale, etc, with the large endowments, the academic reputations, and opportunities. And not the compensation of mere football coaches. At least up to a point. You, yourself, must also have a line to draw somewhere.

Of course it is.

Feel free to defend your opinion in light of the context that I previously provided:

1) Head football coach's value to the school
2) Hollywood actors and actresses
3) Models

You seemed to have conveniently skipped that part of my previous post.

Feel free to defend your opinion in light of the context that I previously provided:

1) Head football coach's value to the school
2) Hollywood actors and actresses
3) Models

You seemed to have conveniently skipped that part of my previous post.

All grossly overpaid.

I guess I can't be helped. I tend to fall more in line with schools like Vanderbilt, Duke, Stanford, Yale, etc, with the large endowments, the academic reputations, and opportunities. And not the compensation of mere football coaches. At least up to a point. You, yourself, must also have a line to draw somewhere.
I think they go hand in hand but if I was making the call I see sports as being more profitable for most schools in the long run. Clemson and USC will never be able to compete with the academic endowment of schools like ohio state, Ivy League schools etc. we can compete and make money in athletics. I see the later being more important for schools in our state.

Brand recognition is also important when it comes to academia. Being good in sports helps that a lot.

I do wonder what Riley could do with the talent at LSU.

There's really not much of a talent gap, if at all.

Since Riley got to OU this is how their recruiting classes stack up in terms of average star rating

OU LSU
2017: 3.61 3.63

2018: 3.61 3.59

2019: 3.83 3.69

2020: 3.52 3.83

2021: 3.88 3.87

In that 5 years, LSU has pulled in twelve 5* to 8 for OU, but spread out over 5 years, that's not much of a difference. I just don't see the huge talent gap that some see. Maybe the expectation is that LSU's recruiting will get even stronger with RIley, but Riley will also be competing against Bama for recruits. Ole Miss is an pretty sharp upward trajectory as well.

He would no doubt do well at LSU and probably win a title, but I don't think is that much more talented.

It will be hilarious from our position as a rival team If Riley accepts this offer and flops in 4 years. I bet has insight to great assistant coaches and staff he could assemble for them.

Higher pay typically only means better employees if you hire the right people. If your interview/selection/decision process is shit(see Ray Tanner) , you'll just be paying more for the same level of performance as your lower paying competitor. Higher pay, if known to the market(LSU made it known), will bring a larger pool of applicants. The same shitbags are in that pool. The trick is to pick out the people worth the higher pay.

Last edited:
But you have to admit nothing says I want to win like paying a coach 12mil a year. That shows dedication to winning and LSU would not hesitate to give him anything he wanted. Personally I think LSU is the better gig over Oklahoma.
oh, no doubt it does. But OU consistently increasing his salary does as well. Better gig is up for debate once you throw in fans/boosters. You see how LSU just treated a recent national champion coach, I’d argue OU is much more stable and their history shows it.

oh, no doubt it does. But OU consistently increasing his salary does as well. Better gig is up for debate once you throw in fans/boosters. You see how LSU just treated a recent national champion coach, I’d argue OU is much more stable and their history shows it.
LSU is by no means a step up from Oklahoma in any way I can discern.

Reactions: Carolina Doc
Obviously Riley is not worth $12 million/year. It's LSU prerogative if they want to pay him that, but it doesn't make him worth it.
I think the only reason he should leave would be fear of exceeding his own shelf life at Oklahoma. In that case, he might go after the money.

How they treated Ed is the new norm. Colleges, the ones that care the most, are not going to stand for losing. College football has become a not what have you done for me but what have you done for me lately. No one is safe, that includes everyone not named saban. What do you think Clemson will do if dabo has 3 more seasons like he did this year. I can tell you what they should and will do, they will move on.

It's tough to sit back and watch others doing everything possible, (whether it works or not), to be successful on the field while we take the cheap route, (which may or may not be successful as well).

Reactions: jerryusc
How they treated Ed is the new norm. Colleges, the ones that care the most, are not going to stand for losing. College football has become a not what have you done for me but what have you done for me lately. No one is safe, that includes everyone not named saban. What do you think Clemson will do if dabo has 3 more seasons like he did this year. I can tell you what they should and will do, they will move on.
The new norm is not good and Tater Tech would be fools to let Dabo go even after a few down years with what he has brought to them. But such is life, idiots rule.

The new norm is not good and Tater Tech would be fools to let Dabo go even after a few down years with what he has brought to them. But such is life, idiots rule.
I have never understood standing behind a stagnant coach or a new one that is not improving. If you higher a new coach and in 2 years you don’t see improvement it’s time to move on. Waiting an entire recruiting cycle has never made since to me.

How so would that be stupid to get rid of dabo? He has shown a disregard for moving the way college football is moving. I believe the transfer portal is super important and so is over signing. So far he has pushed back on both. The turnover rate for players is going to increase rapidly. Better to go along with the change than fight it. In 4 years if Dabo is still not willing to change and stays stagnant, he doesn’t deserve to be fired? Just because he won 2 NC Clemson should have to pay him for a result they are not getting? How does that make sense?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT