ADVERTISEMENT

Why didn’t Tony Elliott take the Tennessee job a year ago?

May 10, 2016
Gilbert, SC
Rick Neuheisal said it best yesterday on XM radio when the host asked the same question: “What conference does Virginia play in? What division does Virginia play in? What conference is Tennessee in? Who does Tennessee play every year? Alabama, Georgia, Florida, I don’t see any teams like that on Virginia’s schedule every year.” The same can be said for why us beating Clemson 5 years in a row didn’t mean anything in the bigger picture. Dabdumb can have an off year and go 9-3 on talent alone. Clemson got that talent because they were going to the Orange Bowl and our best bowl was the Citrus during Spurrier’s run. Neuheisal also added, the two most important aspects to being a successful head coach are: “getting great players and controlling your schedule.” Meaning, if I don’t have to play anyone who’s consistently good, or 1 to 2 tough games per year, that’s a great job! He also said, “Radokovich wanted to give the Georgia Tech job back in the day but a search firm nixed that.” Moral of the story, who you play is what makes a job attractive, not what conference you play in.

We have all of the resources compared to Wake Forest, Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, NC State, Boston College, FSU, Miami, Clemson, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, and whatever teams are left in the ACC. We don’t play teams in the ACC. So……

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Just my opinion, but here goes. Elliott knows blabo isn’t going to stay in Pickens forever. Elliott is a clem alum and former player there. He may have aspirations to replace blabo at some point, and knew that coaching at rocky bottom wouldn’t look so great on his resume.

The exodus has just started. Hang on for more newsflashes. Lots of things going on. That's all I am going to say.

Tennessee has been a coaching cauldron lately, and on top of that, sanctions are still on the table for them, are they not? Anyhow, playing in the SEC is a lot more dicey than in the ACC. His not taking it at the time it was offered - or ever - is not at all surprising.

Elliott knows how things are at UT. The fan base views UT as a national power as they used to be. They will chew a coach up and spit him out. Virginia on the other hand has a much easier schedule, and if a coach comes in and wins 7-8 games consistently, they are more than happy with that. And if he happens to do better than that for a couple years in a row, it could be a stepping stone into one of the bigger jobs.

I don't know why he didn't take the UT job a year ago, and won't even pretend I know the answer. Here's a novel idea, why not just pose the question directly to Mr. Elliot.

The NCAA hasn't sanctioned ummm I mean slapped UCheat on the wrist yet so that could have been a factor

Short answer is because UT blows. And, Charlottesville over Knoxville any day of the week, especially with basically unlimited dough. My only reservation as a Virginia fan is him recruiting against or out recruiting his alma mater. This is a school who had the talent at one point and time to win it all, and with mostly VA kids, so first things first, lock down those borders. Next, apparently is to get those facilities moving. I can tell you from spending a lot of my life in Charlottesville, marrying an alumni, and familiarity with the program for over 30 years, that UVa does in fact have more money than God, but sometimes, I think they just like to look at that balance without actually spending any of it. Case in point, rumors of TE’s apparent objection (and doubts about the job) to the facilities, and a little $10 million loan from their $900 trillion endowment to kick start said facilities. He gets a top DC, and they could be trouble. Great job though, much better than UT who will never accept that Phillip is gone, and Peyton’s days are over. USC is exactly the same as UVa, even though most of our fans can’t see it

ACC school! He was holding out for an ACC school. Too Tuff at Tenn.
Tennessee has been chewing up and spitting out coaches left and right for too many years. If Heupel has a couple of middling years, he also will be gone in short order. I wouldn't touch that job absent a 6-year contract among the top 3-4 highest paid coaches with a full buyout....and can't blame anyone who turned it down. Who knows when Fulmer will start throwing his ample weight around again.

Reactions: ACT ONE
Short answer is because UT blows. And, Charlottesville over Knoxville any day of the week, especially with basically unlimited dough. My only reservation as a Virginia fan is him recruiting against or out recruiting his alma mater. This is a school who had the talent at one point and time to win it all, and with mostly VA kids, so first things first, lock down those borders. Next, apparently is to get those facilities moving. I can tell you from spending a lot of my life in Charlottesville, marrying an alumni, and familiarity with the program for over 30 years, that UVa does in fact have more money than God, but sometimes, I think they just like to look at that balance without actually spending any of it. Case in point, rumors of TE’s apparent objection (and doubts about the job) to the facilities, and a little $10 million loan from their $900 trillion endowment to kick start said facilities. He gets a top DC, and they could be trouble. Great job though, much better than UT who will never accept that Phillip is gone, and Peyton’s days are over. USC is exactly the same as UVa, even though most of our fans can’t see it
You made a lot of good points.

UVA endowment $14.5 billion (October 2021), yet a lot of those dollars are designated. Charlottesville is a nice town and UVA great university. What makes UVA fans happy: 8 wins, a bowl game, beating VT. As others have said, it is a lot easier to get 8 wins and bowl game in the ACC than SEC. As you suggested, if UVA improves its facilities, and the master plan suggests it will, it can be a consistent winner.

You wrote, "USC is exactly the same a UVA." There are lot of similarities. Most of us would be thrilled with 8 wins, a bowl game, and beating Clemson. Yet, there are also differences:
As a USC and UVA grad, current Charlottesville-area resident, and UVA season ticket holder (baseball, basketball, football), I would move to South Carolina for the right opportunity. South Carolina still comes first! Go Gamecocks!

The D1 CFB coaching fraternity is limited to about 130 HC's, so it is extremely small. Add the assistant coaches, 12 or so, and this number still remains relatively small. So, obviously friendships and alliances are made. These individuals will know all inner workings and have access to information that we don't.
To my point, these friendships can guide and counsel fellow coaches as to what looks to be a good opportunity or take a wait and see approach.

Reactions: rogue cock
In the ACC you only have Clemson and occasionally ND. Every year, UcheaT plays Bama, Geogia, Florida, and Carolina. And soon add Okla, LSU and UT

The point being, he turned down Vandy and Tennessee previously. He considered Virginia and Duke until he ultimately chose Virginia. Let me spell it out for you and others: He chose an ACC school because he doesn't have to play anyone with a pulse the majority of the season. His greatest competition for anything related to football is his own school. The same goes for almost every ACC school.
Tennessee has been a coaching cauldron lately, and on top of that, sanctions are still on the table for them, are they not? Anyhow, playing in the SEC is a lot more dicey than in the ACC. His not taking it at the time it was offered - or ever - is not at all surprising.

Why is it a bad job? The schedule......
Tennessee has been chewing up and spitting out coaches left and right for too many years. If Heupel has a couple of middling years, he also will be gone in short order. I wouldn't touch that job absent a 6-year contract among the top 3-4 highest paid coaches with a full buyout....and can't blame anyone who turned it down. Who knows when Fulmer will start throwing his ample weight around again.

Duke has had many more good seasons that Vanderbilt over they years. I would also say that, if a person is marketable, interviews can be as much fact-finding missions as they are beauty contests.

Console yourself with the knowledge that the answer to the question doesn't really matter all that much.;)

Why is Duke more successful than Vanderbilt in football? The schedule.....
Duke has had many more good seasons that Vanderbilt over they years. I would also say that, if a person is marketable, interviews can be as much fact-finding missions as they are beauty contese successsful than Vanderbilt i n football? The schedule.....

Plus, the hammer is about to drop on the McDonald's bags of cash at UTJR. Usually you would think the NCAA would once again be feckless but this is so flagrant, they can't.

Reactions: rogue cock
Recruiting and expectations.

Tenn doesn't have a recruiting base within state in terms of number of blue chip talent. Fulmer had to recruit nationally and you still do now. It is tougher too. Much different than the luxury Florida and UGA have. Bama is also your permanent rival.

They expect national titles and competing with elite programs. It is a tough gig.

At Virginia, you just have to win more games than you lose (doable in the ACC), win 8 or 9 games every few years, beat Va Tech around 50% of the time and you'll have a job for life.

Reactions: Bleadgandb3334
Rick Neuheisal said it best yesterday on XM radio when the host asked the same question: “What conference does Virginia play in? What division does Virginia play in? What conference is Tennessee in? Who does Tennessee play every year? Alabama, Georgia, Florida, I don’t see any teams like that on Virginia’s schedule every year.” The same can be said for why us beating Clemson 5 years in a row didn’t mean anything in the bigger picture. Dabdumb can have an off year and go 9-3 on talent alone. Clemson got that talent because they were going to the Orange Bowl and our best bowl was the Citrus during Spurrier’s run. Neuheisal also added, the two most important aspects to being a successful head coach are: “getting great players and controlling your schedule.” Meaning, if I don’t have to play anyone who’s consistently good, or 1 to 2 tough games per year, that’s a great job! He also said, “Radokovich wanted to give the Georgia Tech job back in the day but a search firm nixed that.” Moral of the story, who you play is what makes a job attractive, not what conference you play in.

VOL fans are happy with Heupel.
Give it a couple years. They liked Butch Jones at one point too. Tennessee is fast approaching a quarter century since being relevant. And during their last two very recent coaching searches, they were turned down by enough coaches to field a baseball team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT