ADVERTISEMENT

Will Frank Martin' s

I think if Frank was coaching in the 70's and 80's he would be extremely successful. However I dont think he is able to fully relate to todays players. I think he does love them and wants what is best for them. He wants to push them to be better men and better players, however it is not that type of society where you can scream and yell and get the most out of them anymore. They all tune him out. You can tell while they walk off the court and he yells at them, they dont even slow down or even look at him, they go sit down and look at the court. They dont want to be berated like that.

Reactions: TAV31
Our country has softened. Starts in sports and society, then moves into our government and military. Then the Chinese and Russians come and we are so nice they will run us over.

Our country has softened. Starts in sports and society, then moves into our government and military. Then the Chinese and Russians come and we are so nice they will run us over.
Maybe so, but I don't think our kids tune Martin out because they are soft. They tune him out because they know they will be the ones that pay the price if they knock him out for disrespecting them. Calling people "F'ing Bums". That's not coaching. That's abusing kids because they aren't getting you the precious victories you need to keep your job.

Maybe so, but I don't think our kids tune Martin out because they are soft. They tune him out because they know they will be the ones that pay the price if they knock him out for disrespecting them. Calling people "F'ing Bums". That's not coaching. That's abusing kids because they aren't getting you the precious victories you need to keep your job.

I wish Frank would coach as hard as ever but would at least try not cursing players out during games, getting in their face like he's losing control of himself.

Coach hard? Yes. Yell? Yes.

I mean I don't see most other coaches on the verge of losing control- and a lot of them are beating Frank's backside left and right on the basketball court.

So it' can't be that his way is the right away and they are all wrong.

Reactions: PC31 and 92Pony
Not saying they are soft because they won’t take personal abuse. No one should have to do that. But they should be able to take hard instruction, correction of mistakes, go hard all the time, quit looking at the ref or using the posture or whining when the call or play doesn’t go your way. And when you are brushed across the face or go down hard but are not injured, get off the floor, particularly when the ball is still in play.

There are those that want to run off Frank and at the same time say “Bring on Pitino.” Hard to understand that.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
Not saying they are soft because they won’t take personal abuse. No one should have to do that. But they should be able to take hard instruction, correction of mistakes, go hard all the time, quit looking at the ref or using the posture or whining when the call or play doesn’t go your way. And when you are brushed across the face or go down hard but are not injured, get off the floor, particularly when the ball is still in play.

There are those that want to run off Frank and at the same time say “Bring on Pitino.” Hard to understand that.
I am not a guy that responds to hard instruction just for the heck of it myself. As a player, I was like tell me or show what to do or take me out. Self-motivated guys don’t need all that noise. The bench is and always will be the best motivator of all time. I have always believed the hollering, fussing coach is doing that more for himself than the player. Look at me, I’m coaching. I don’t want Pitino, but never been a fan of Martin or his coaching style. I think some get off on his coaching, but I have always thought he was a below average offensive coach that is stubborn in his ways even on the side of the ball where he is strong. For example, the little 2-1-2 zone defense has been his best all year, yet he waits until he gets down double digits to break it out every game. I know you may like the guy, but I am way past done with Martin.

Last edited:
I like him as a man, do not agree with his coaching. But I am in the “we need a change” camp. But, the question remains of “who are we gonna get?” Would rather have FM than another Horn or Newton, or Pitino.
Oh, there are ways to coach hard to get the most out of a team. You do it on the practice court. There is where you coach effort also - too late to coach that on game day. That’s why the bench is there. Many are not self-motivated. The old axiom is “the coach is there to take the player where he cannot take himself.”

Season will end in the SEC tournament as always. Frank has been robbing the school blind for years and years but Ray has no problem signing the checks.

Reactions: ForeUSC
I've always been sympathetic to our coaches in any sport, but Martin has become useless and a liability. I feel for the players that won't get another chance with us.

Imo the final four run was due more to the tournament refs not getting the memo that they were supposed to whistle Silva every two minutes than it was Martin.

Reactions: 92Pony
We won't get any better with Frank. A decade is certainly enough time to evaluate a coach. Tanner needs to go first, then Frank.

With the millennial generation began the sissification of America. You can’t tell at them, you can’t joke with them, you can’t “tell” they what to do, you have to make it sound rosey and explain it, etc…..

If they part ways with Frank I hope they also take the opportunity to part ways with Tanner at the same time. It’s past due. They should have fired Tanner the same day they fired Muschamp.

Last edited:
Reactions: ForeUSC
With the millennial generation began the sissification of America. You can’t tell at them, you can’t joke with them, you can’t “tell” they what to do, you have to make it sound rosey and explain it, etc…..

If they part ways with Frank I hope they also take the opportunity to part ways with Tanner at the same time. It’s past due. They should have fired Tanner the same day they fired Muschamp.
It's not that at all. Like with Joe Judge with the Giants, you can't be "Harry Hard*** and be a loser too. If Martin was winning, most of us would shut up. However, when you are loser, people see the persona I referenced above is just a facade and people don't take you serious.

I don't have any issue with the way Frank coaches. In fact, I like it. But the problem is that you cannot turn a nickel into a dime, and that is what Frank has to do with his team. The man just cannot recruit the talent needed to compete at a high level for some reason. Frank rarely beats another Power 5 team for a player on the recruiting trail. And at the end of the day, coaching basketball isn't rocket science. It usually comes down to the most talented team. And USC is rarely the most talented team.

Reactions: roosterbell
We won't get any better with Frank. A decade is certainly enough time to evaluate a coach. Tanner needs to go first, then Frank.
I was thinking about Frank's decade art USC. I wondered how Frank would characterize his ten years here. If he were to be retained what would be his vision for this program? Would he be satisfied with x number of NCAA tournament appearances? Should USC fan be satisfied with a clean program that only appears in one NCAA tournament.

Frank has had more than enough time to improve the program. I think even he knows that.

Would I be upset if he's here another year. No.

I am not sure it matters anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT