ADVERTISEMENT

Will we ever be anything more than a NIT team? *

Looking back on the history of the program any other person with no affiliation to Gamecock sports would say NIT with a sprinkling of NCAA appearances thrown in.
To be honest I really don't know what the answer is to elevating our status
There are much smaller schools than us that make it a habit of going to the dance
VCU, Gonzaga, Villanova, etc, yet for the most part we are on the outside looking in.
Signed, Frustrated.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
We are a school who is ok with being middle to lower tier in sports overall. We are like a chihuahua, we bark a lot and make noise at certain times, but at the end of the day, we have no bite.
The NIT is who we are at best year in and year out. We might get lucky and make it to the NCAAT and then whoever that coach is will get a five year extension and a $500,000- $1,000,000 pay increase per year. It's the garnet way!

We are a school who is ok with being middle to lower tier in sports overall. We are like a chihuahua, we bark a lot and make noise at certain times, but at the end of the day, we have no bite.
The NIT is who we are at best year in and year out. We might get lucky and make it to the NCAAT and then whoever that coach is will get a five year extension and a $500,000- $1,000,000 pay increase per year. It's the garnet way!
giphy.gif

Reactions: Cocky4SC
After this season, South Carolina will lose Silva and Gravett from a NIT-caliber team, and the 2019 recruiting class is currently rated 12th in the SEC and #72 nationally. So, it's certainly not trending in the right direction at a time when the rest of the SEC is getting better. Unfortunately, Frank just never really capitalized on that Final Four run. It should have launched the program into national prominence, but it didn't.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Still believe Frank will leave on his own volition in the near future and head to the booth.

OP posts "Will we ever be anything more than a NIT team?"

Anybody remember this from 23 months ago? I'm as frustrated as anyone else about last night's game, but some people need to step away from the ledge, take a deep breath and consider where this program has been over the past 40+ years and the broken program FM inherited when he came here.

OP posts "Will we ever be anything more than a NIT team?"

Anybody remember this from 23 months ago? I'm as frustrated as anyone else about last night's game, but some people need to step away from the ledge, take a deep breath and consider where this program has been over the past 40+ years and the broken program FM inherited when he came here.

Every coach that comes here regardless of sport inherited a broken program. Because we keep lame ducks too long

Great athletes usually pass on living in Columbia for a couple of years.

I wonder if having Williams-Brice so far from campus makes a difference. Maybe there's some appeal to having everything close together but not in the middle of a city. We do have a weird campus layout.

Every coach that comes here regardless of sport inherited a broken program. Because we keep lame ducks too long
The majority of coaches that takeover a new program are inheriting a broken program that had to fire their last coach. There are exceptions, of course, as with coaches who replace a legend or coaches who replace a guy that was hired away by a bigger program. But, the majority of coaches are replacing a guy who was fired. In basketball, the great coaches turn those programs around, usually rapidly. The bad ones get fired within a few years. And the mediocre ones give everyone just enough reasons to keep them around for about 8 or 9 years.

Didn’t we lose about 6 players at various times this year? Didn’t we have to get our freshmen up to speed and that’s why we lost early? I’m not saying he is the best coach in the world but I sure wouldn’t want to be in his shoes. Win anyway. Win the SECC.

I wonder if having Williams-Brice so far from campus makes a difference. Maybe there's some appeal to having everything close together but not in the middle of a city. We do have a weird campus layout.

I personally don't think that makes a difference. My gosh, look at the U. of Miami back in their hay day. The Orange Bowl was a long way from campus. If the stadium is within walking distance for students (again imo) it's not too far from campus.

The majority of coaches that takeover a new program are inheriting a broken program that had to fire their last coach. There are exceptions, of course, as with coaches who replace a legend or coaches who replace a guy that was hired away by a bigger program. But, the majority of coaches are replacing a guy who was fired. In basketball, the great coaches turn those programs around, usually rapidly. The bad ones get fired within a few years. And the mediocre ones give everyone just enough reasons to keep them around for about 8 or 9 years.

True but we always seem to think we have to give our coaches twice the time because our program is “more broken” than most lol

Reactions: ddw1263
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT