ADVERTISEMENT

Would LOVE to see OU jump to #3 and ND fall to #4

ConKreteCock

Oct 11, 2008
I don't think it will happen, but it could. Not only would OU absolutely THRASH Clemron but Bama would thrash ND, and then we'd get to see a highly entertaining natty game. OU might have the only offense that can hang with Bama. Clemron's offense automatically doesn't count for a hill of beans since they play in the cream puff conference.

This assumes of course that Bama will beat UGA next week. They will.

I don't think it will happen, but it could. Not only would OU absolutely THRASH Clemron but Bama would thrash ND, and then we'd get to see a highly entertaining natty game. OU might have the only offense that can hang with Bama. Clemron's offense automatically doesn't count for a hill of beans since they play in the cream puff conference.

Ohio State will look better beating Northwestern than Oklahoma will look beating Texas, if they even beat Texas. People are holding Oklahoma's defense against them and rightly so. Notre Dame is in.

That will be a big problem for the playoff selection committee if UGA beats Bama. Do they still let Bama in over undefeated ND? ND didn't have to play a championship game.

That will be a big problem for the playoff selection committee if UGA beats Bama. Do they still let Bama in over undefeated ND? ND didn't have to play a championship game.

If Georgia beats Bama in close game; 1) Clemson, 2) Georgia, 3) ND, 4) BAMA
If Bama beats Georgia any way; Georgia is out....2 losses. Put in OU or OSU at 4.

That's fair in my opinion.

I hope Bama beat UGA but that is not a sure thing. UK beating UT was suppose to be a sure thing but of course that didn't happen. I really hope Bama beats the dawgs because if they don't quempsum could win it all.

Ohio State will look better beating Northwestern than Oklahoma will look beating Texas, if they even beat Texas. People are holding Oklahoma's defense against them and rightly so. Notre Dame is in.

Texas has already beat OU once and pushed them around in doing so. If Texas qb is healthy, which is unknown right now, Texas could easily win.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
That's really as far as you needed to go.;) The only thing I would add is that an undefeated Notre Dame team would be in if the had the 100th best SOS in the country.
You're probably right. But I do think that bama's credit rating might be enough to get them in. After all, all they do is win.

I hope Bama beat UGA but that is not a sure thing. UK beating UT was suppose to be a sure thing but of course that didn't happen. I really hope Bama beats the dawgs because if they don't quempsum could win it all.

Even if UGA wins, Bama is still in. All the talking heads seem to agree on this point and it's been done before in this modern playoff system. The only way Bama doesn't get in is if they lose BADLY to UGA. A close loss = they're in anyway. So either way, Clem$on is going to be forced to finally play somebody.

Reactions: roosterbell
You're probably right. But I do think that bama's credit rating might be enough to get them in. After all, all they do is win.
Unless they get routed in the SECCG, which I do not expect, a close loss would not eliminate them. Their close loss to Georgia would be better than Georgia's implosion against LSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legendary Cock
Even if UGA wins, Bama is still in. All the talking heads seem to agree on this point and it's been done before in this modern playoff system. The only way Bama doesn't get in is if they lose BADLY to UGA. A close loss = they're in anyway. So either way, Clem$on is going to be forced to finally play somebody.

So you are assuming Clemson is in and Georgia. There is no way an undefeated Notre Dame is left out. So you are under the impression that an Alabama that just lost to Georgia and didn't win their conference will be in over a one-loss conference champion like Ohio State or Oklahoma? Assuming one of those wins their conference championship game? OU would have just beaten the No.9 team in the nation, Texas and Alabama would have just lost? Ohio State would have just recently beaten Michigan, a top 5 team at the time. I find that doubtful.

Bama is in with one loss - unless they get blown out.

Whoa. We agree.

You were adamant last year the SECCG loser wouldn't get in, even if both teams were undefeated going into the game. What changed your mind this year?

So you are assuming Clemson is in and Georgia. There is no way an undefeated Notre Dame is left out. So you are under the impression that an Alabama that just lost to Georgia and didn't win their conference will be in over a one-loss conference champion like Ohio State or Oklahoma? Assuming one of those wins their conference championship game? OU would have just beaten the No.9 team in the nation, Texas and Alabama would have just lost? Ohio State would have just recently beaten Michigan, a top 5 team at the time. I find that doubtful.
Bama is in if they lose close to Georgia - and so is Georgia. Oklahoma would be the odd man out, provided Ohio State beats Northwestern, and they don't have to beat them badly. Notre Dame's position in unassailable now. UPC is in if unbeaten, though. Alabama as a one-loss team trumps any other one-loss team besides the team which beats them.

Last edited:
Bama is in if they lose close to Georgia - and so is Georgia. Oklahoma would be the odd man out, provided Ohio State beats Northwestern, and they don't have to beat them badly. Notre Dame's position in unassailable now. UPC is in if unbeaten, though. Alabama as a one-loss team trumps any other one-loss team besides the team which beats them.

So you are saying it would be Alabama, Georgia, Clemson and ND, with both OU and Ohio State left out, even if they are one-loss conference champions. Both with recent wins over top ten foes, while Alabama just lost? I think that is looking through SEC glasses, I don't think the other conferences would put up with that long.

Of course the ultimate solution will be we move to an eight team playoff, then everyone with a real claim gets in and all the major conference champions get in.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
So you are saying it would be Alabama, Georgia, Clemson and ND, with both OU and Ohio State left out, even if they are one-loss conference champions. Both with recent wins over top ten foes, while Alabama just lost? I think that is looking through SEC glasses, I don't think the other conferences would put up with that long.
Yes, that's what I'm saying. Ohio State's one loss was a bad loss and Oklahoma's defense is just bad. The coaches in the room will eliminate them. Alabama is only out if they lose to Georgia badly. Alabama beating Georgia opens up the fourth spot and I believe it will be Ohio State getting that spot over Oklahoma, if both win on Saturday.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Ohio State's one loss was a bad loss and Oklahoma's defense is just bad. The coaches in the room will eliminate them. Alabama is only out if they lose to Georgia badly. Alabama beating Georgia opens up the fourth spot and I believe it will be Ohio State getting that spot over Oklahoma, if both win on Saturday.

If that happens (a championship game losing Alabama over one-loss conference winners) expect changes to the way selections are made. Other conferences won't put up with that long. That is very different than when both the Big Ten champion and Pac-10 champions are two-loss teams.

Last edited:
If that happens (a championship game losing Alabama over one-loss conference winners) expect changes to the way selections are made. Other conferences won't put up with that long. That is very different than when both the Big Ten champion and Pac-10 champions are two-loss teams.
What is different is who Bama is playing. Ohio State gets Northwestern and OU gets a 3 loss Texas team that lost to Oklahoma State and Maryland. So if Bama loses close game their 1 loss is to a playoff team, can OK or Ohio St say that? What if Bama and UGA just said, "we see no point in us playing this week." We made our case and are top 4 teams, all we can do is hurt ourselves by playing this week. We will sit out and play in 4 team playoff.

You don't think both those teams would smack around NW, Pitt and Texas? Why punish them for playing in toughest league.

Reactions: king ward

@BattleshipTexas , ^^^ This is exactly what I'm saying too with one exception. No way Ohio State jumps Oklahoma, assuming Oklahoma wins their conference championship. As king ward said, Ohio State's 1 loss was a horrible loss to an unranked team. Oklahoma's 1 loss was to a pretty good team. So if UGA beats Bama it would be #1 Clemson, #2 Notre Dame, #3 UGA, and #4 Bama playing for all the marbles.

@BattleshipTexas , ^^^ This is exactly what I'm saying too with one exception. No way Ohio State jumps Oklahoma, assuming Oklahoma wins their conference championship. As king ward said, Ohio State's 1 loss was a horrible loss to an unranked team. Oklahoma's 1 loss was to a pretty good team. So if UGA beats Bama it would be #1 Clemson, #2 Notre Dame, #3 UGA, and #4 Bama playing for all the marbles.

So why would Bama, who just lost, and didn't win their conference get in over conference champ OU who just beat the No. 9 team (Texas) in the nation this Saturday and another top 10 team (WVa) the week before? Alabama has a lot of 5-stars and destroys the Citadel and Arkansas State, but played a really weak schedule other than LSU (who A&M just beat). Now maybe if Texas upsets OU, Bama might get in over Ohio State, but I don't see in any fairness why they get in over OU. Note I hate OU and do not want them in the playoffs. But I see if SEC runnerups start getting into playoffs over one loss Big Ten and Big 12 champions, there will be hell to pay.

Reactions: agantt
What is different is who Bama is playing. Ohio State gets Northwestern and OU gets a 3 loss Texas team that lost to Oklahoma State and Maryland. So if Bama loses close game their 1 loss is to a playoff team, can OK or Ohio St say that? What if Bama and UGA just said, "we see no point in us playing this week." We made our case and are top 4 teams, all we can do is hurt ourselves by playing this week. We will sit out and play in 4 team playoff.

You don't think both those teams would smack around NW, Pitt and Texas? Why punish them for playing in toughest league.

You get there is a difference between a loss and a win, right? You are supposed to be penalized for losses, not rewarded with playoff bids. OU is playing the No.9 team in the nation. They also have the number 1 offense in football. Why punish them (Alabama) for playing in the toughest league? Why not punish Alabama for playing the Citadel, Arkansas state, Louisiana Lafayette and a really weak schedule, then when they do play a tough SEC team in Georgia, they lose. OU will have played two top ten teams back to back and won. Alabama will have lost and not played anything like the tough schedule you imply.

Reactions: agantt
So why would Bama, who just lost, and didn't win their conference get in over conference champ OU who just beat the No. 9 team (Texas) in the nation this Saturday and another top 10 team (WVa) the week before? Alabama has a lot of 5-stars and destroys the Citadel and Arkansas State, but played a really weak schedule other than LSU (who A&M just beat). Now maybe if Texas upsets OU, Bama might get in over Ohio State, but I don't see in any fairness why they get in over OU. Note I hate OU and do not want them in the playoffs. But I see if SEC runnerups start getting into playoffs over one loss Big Ten and Big 12 champions, there will be hell to pay.

Is Bama one of the four best teams? Yes or no?

You get there is a difference between a loss and a win, right? You are supposed to be penalized for losses, not rewarded with playoff bids. OU is playing the No.9 team in the nation. They also have the number 1 offense in football. Why punish them (Alabama) for playing in the toughest league? Why not punish Alabama for playing the Citadel, Arkansas state, Louisiana Lafayette and a really weak schedule, then when they do play a tough SEC team in Georgia, they lose. OU will have played two top ten teams back to back and won. Alabama will have lost and not played anything like the tough schedule you imply.

Bama is 5th in strength of schedule.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Or if you want to use ESPN's Power index, Bama has beaten 5 teams in the top 20.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

These aren't, like, my opinion...these ratings are determined by objective measurements.

So Bama loses to #4 and they are out? Texas has 3 losses, one to Maryland and you think they are some kind of world beater, please. They also lost to OK State who isn't setting the world on fire so I would take a 1 loss Bama team over a 1 loss OK team any day of the week.

You site Bama's weak schedule, really? LSU, A@M, Miss ST, UGA, Missouri and Auburn.

Now I know those may not compare to Fl Atlantic, UCLA, Baylor, Texas Tech, OK State(6-6),Kansas, Kansas State, Army (who took them to OT),TCU (6-6),Iowa St, and a 3 loss Texas team who lost to Md for goodness sake.

You really think Bama schedule was weaker than that load of crap? Wow

ND will only go up in the rankings. The best thing that can happen is for UGA to beat Bama, Clemson to move up to #1 and either Bama or UGA get the #4 spot.

Best case scenario would be
1. Clemson vs. 4 Bama
2. ND vs 3. UGA

But that almost definitely won't happen with a crappy OU waiting in the wings for Bama to lose.

Hard to keep a 1 loss team that lost a tight one 7 weeks ago (and theoretically would have just avenged that loss) for a team that would have lost the day before the selection. that would also set a precedent that losing conference championships don't mean a hill of beans. They have picked 2 non conference champions but neither actually lost the championship game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT