ADVERTISEMENT

Wow seriously Baseball

Kingston will not last long here with these type of results. Pathetic...
Disagree. Kingston will be comfortable here for as long as he wants. This school has always shown we hold on to people 2-3 years longer than we should and then say the next guy deserves "x" number of years because he inherited a dumpster fire. The problem is, and always has been, no one of importance notices the fire WHILE it's happening because they're too busy back-slapping and laughing about how great we are handling things.

Disagree. Kingston will be comfortable here for as long as he wants. This school has always shown we hold on to people 2-3 years longer than we should and then say the next guy deserves "x" number of years because he inherited a dumpster fire. The problem is, and always has been, no one of importance notices the fire WHILE it's happening because they're too busy back-slapping and laughing about how great we are handling things.

This is SO true. Odom remained our coach at least a year too long, and the same for Horn. And then we watched that movie play out again with Holbrook. It's not rocket science. Simple eye/gut test can tell you when something isn't working. Have always felt that we have a tendency to keep coaches far beyond the "point of no return" (not all of our coaches, but we've had our fair share). Beyond me why people in power have been oblivious in those situations (or just don't care).

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
This is SO true. Odom remained our coach at least a year too long, and the same for Horn. And then we watched that movie play out again with Holbrook. It's not rocket science. Simple eye/gut test can tell you when something isn't working. Have always felt that we have a tendency to keep coaches far beyond the "point of no return" (not all of our coaches, but we've had our fair share). Beyond me why people in power have been oblivious in those situations (or just don't care).

You're missing the primary points here: salary, job security and comfortable pension - these they DO care about very, very much.

Where can I purchase one of your rookie baseball cards you must have been a gem. Get a clue.

Ah yes, Jim to every sports defense as to why it's ok to continue to lose at EVERY MENS sport!! But since this is about baseball.right now, Here's a clue Jim, we continue to have issues closing out games. We haven't won an SEC series YET. We are 4-11 is league play. Situational small ball and timely hitting are an issue for this team. Pitching staff is hurting because of missing two weekend starters, but that has ZERO to do with today's loss and many this year including the midweek games. But I guess, you had to play professional baseball to have a different opinion than you Jim...

I'm just pissed man.
I understand. I'm still amazed that people thought this was going to be a good year when we lost our two aces before the season began and then lost our third early in the season....and it never was a deep staff, just a bunch of inexperienced and young arms behind them. You were whistling through the graveyard if you were expecting a much better season.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Ah yes, Jim to every sports defense as to why it's ok to continue to lose at EVERY MENS sport!! But since this is about baseball.right now, Here's a clue Jim, we continue to have issues closing out games. We haven't won an SEC series YET. We are 4-11 is league play. Situational small ball and timely hitting are an issue for this team. Pitching staff is hurting because of missing two weekend starters, but that has ZERO to do with today's loss and many this year including the midweek games. But I guess, you had to play professional baseball to have a different opinion than you Jim...
THREE weekend starters....and how exactly did pitching not factor in today's game?

Reactions: Bclc829
I understand. I'm still amazed that people thought this was going to be a good year when we lost our two aces before the season began and then lost our third early in the season....and it never was a deep staff, just a bunch of inexperienced and young arms behind them. You were whistling through the graveyard if you were expecting a much better season.
Half way through the SEC with 21 wins don't toss in the towel yet it's baseball and every season we seem to hit the same wall.

Guys you’re sounding pretty ignorant now. Kingston has had one recruiting class so far (1st one was already done before he was even hired). In college baseball you normally recruit out 2 or 3 years with high school freshman or sophomores normally committing early. In addition of to not having his own recruits he’s had a horrible list of injuries (Majinski breaks his foot, Logan Chapman has Tommy John surgery, Ridge Chapman has injury and Sawyer Bridges has dead arm). With development of young arms like Kerry, Tringali, Sweat and Harley) over the next several years we’ll be fine. No need for all you guys to run Kingston out with injuries and lack of his recruits. Last year we saw what he could do in the Super Regional when he had quality pitching. Take a deep breath!

The country is loaded with teams looking for fans just like you find one of them.

In all honesty, I'm not certain we had any "aces" to lose, just starters we were counting on.

Half way through the SEC with 21 wins don't toss in the towel yet it's baseball and every season we seem to hit the same wall.
Oh, I'm fine. My expectations were simply tampered a good bit with the loss of Logan and Ridge and then Mlodzinski. Hope the young guys can get it all together before the end of the year...but they are pitching a lot more than they were expected to.

Oh, I'm fine. My expectations were simply tampered a good bit with the loss of Logan and Ridge and then Mlodzinski. Hope the young guys can get it all together before the end of the year...but they are pitching a lot more than they were expected to.
The thing is rogue we are seeing different lineups trying to find who wants to play. There's a while to go before we get to the regionals and the season begins over. It's baseball and things can turn on a dime and every time a young pitcher get time on bump he learns.

Reactions: rogue cock
Trust in the process! Kingston is doing well recruiting right now with sophomore commits as well as junior college kids. Ask LT Tolbert or T.J. Hopkins about what they think about Kingston and current staff. Interesting to note the 3 bottom teams in the SEC East are Florida, Us and Kentucky. Just a year ago all those teams were either in the CWS or Super Regionals. My point is it’s not uncommon for very good programs to slip every once in awhile.

Yep. The Columbia country club

Reactions: GC-Gamecock
The thing is rogue we are seeing different lineups trying to find who wants to play. There's a while to go before we get to the regionals and the season begins over. It's baseball and things can turn on a dime and every time a young pitcher get time on bump he learns.
Believe me....I know. I never count out anything...am still hopeful.

Reactions: boothkd
If we would have won the series you wouldn't be within 10 miles of FGF is the nature of the beast. Kingston didn't have anything to do with today's loss man.

One win/loss doesn't define a season, you're never as good as well your best win, never as bad as your worse loss...but when you are 4-11 in conference, I'd say that is a cause for concern. The hill isn't going to get any easier to climb this season. We very well might miss out on the SEC tourney.... But then again, there are several people on this site, no names mentioned, that were ho hum about us missing out on the NCAAT in MBB for six of Martin's seven years.

Didn’t Odom come with a “war chest “ though?

Sounds like umps gave the batter before an extra strike, per Tommy and Derek. They thought strike 3 was thrown but no. We just don`t have enough and someone needs to complain to SEC about playing in those conditions if it was that bad. Was there no thunder or lightning within whatever radius that stops play here and everywhere else too?

The title of this thread should be “let’s assume the baseball team will continue to be bad as long as Kingston is the head coach”. At least that’s what most of the posts are implying.
Sure this team is obviously one of the worst in the sec, 4-11. We are last in conference in batting average, near the bottom in era, and middle of the pack in fielding pct. Sure we lost a lot from last year both pitching and hitting, but all teams lose players each year. Last year we were within one game of Omaha. If you go by last year, we are in good hands with Kingston. This year, we are in trouble with Kingston.
So that basically leaves us with fans who pitch a tantrum and want immediate results, and fans who understand the program was in bad shape when Holbrook left and one rebuilding season is not enough to make a determination of his future success or failure

I apply a little different definition to "ace". I grew up hearing that term applied to Whitey Ford.

Edward Charles "Whitey" Ford = The Chairman of the Board.
He was also known as "Slick," a nickname given to him, Billy Martin and Mickey Mantle by manager Casey Stengel, who called them Whiskey Slicks.

Little known FACT, (Few and Chosen: Defining Yankee Greatness Across the Eras by Whitey Ford with Phil Pepe), Whitey Ford got his MLB chance by writing a personal letter to Casey Stengel, stating that he believed that he could help the Yankees win the pennant. Stengel is reported to have stated, 'I want to meet the kid who has the balls to write a letter like that'. In the summer of 1947, the Yankees signed Ford as an Amateur Free Agent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lakecock1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT