ADVERTISEMENT

XFL2: Who's watching this weekend?

There were no TVs period when the NFL started. And commercial radio broadcasts had just begun.

yes, so In my original statement of seeing how the XFL does in week 2 ratings, why did you reference the start of the NFL?

yes, so In my original statement of seeing how the XFL does in week 2 ratings, why did you reference the start of the NFL?
Generally, I think we should not be too quick to judge XFL II. Give it time to find it's footing, notwithstanding TV ratings.

Oddly enough, I'd like to see it succeed. Find its niche.

LA Wildcats have fired DC after one game. Team captain has declared himself a free agent.

I watched Larry the Cable Guy play the Pebble Beach Pro Am. That's tough to beat. At one point, he hit one about 20 yards over the green but played the carrom perfectly off of the bleacher rails and gave himself a good look at par. Sadly, he missed the putt.

I watched this weekend. I like the start times as you can see the complete games. Some of the rules I liked and some I didn't. The kickoff seemed to me to be the best way to do it. You don't have guys getting a full head of steam but you still get the excitement of a return. I liked the 2 minute rules. Clock stopped on every play. I also liked the transparency of the booth reviews. Some of the teams were good and some were bad. I hope it makes it because it gives guys a chance to continue chasing their dream. If they can stay where they are and work to become a feeder system to the NFL, they may have a chance. If they try to take on the NFL, they will fold quick.

Reactions: Brace1
I watched this weekend. I like the start times as you can see the complete games. Some of the rules I liked and some I didn't. The kickoff seemed to me to be the best way to do it. You don't have guys getting a full head of steam but you still get the excitement of a return. I liked the 2 minute rules. Clock stopped on every play. I also liked the transparency of the booth reviews. Some of the teams were good and some were bad. I hope it makes it because it gives guys a chance to continue chasing their dream. If they can stay where they are and work to become a feeder system to the NFL, they may have a chance. If they try to take on the NFL, they will fold quick.
Yep. And I can see them "tweaking/adjusting" rules as they see fit from season to season. Kind of a "football lab" if you will.

Last edited:
Many innovations in the game have come from these "upstart leagues," e.g., the two-point try from the 1960 edition of the AFL.

Two-Point Conversion: Origin
Starting in 1958, college football approved the first scoring change in 46 years. The idea behind the rule change was to limit the number of tie games.

It is illegal for an offense to set up in field goal formation and then attempt a two-point conversion (a trick play).

I did not know. Just learned this, today, researching the origin of the 2 point conversion.
Come to think about it, never have seen a 'Fake' PAT attempt.

Reactions: atl-cock
Ratings saw a week 2 dip from 2.9 million average to 2.26 million. Indicates a slight decline in interest, which is a better than expected result. AAF saw a much larger drop in viewership from Week 1 to Week 2, largely attributable to availability of broadcasts. Now to see if the decrease is a trend or if viewership will stabilize. XFL will soon have to compete with March Madness, NBA playoffs, kickoff of the MLB season, etc so will have to see how it does with some competition for viewers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT