ADVERTISEMENT

Confederate flag raised at Clemson....

This is definitely a turn, and I may have told this story before:

My daughter who is now in Montana was at Washington State in Pullman for a few years in grad school. One very cold, icy day, she was leaving class to drive to my sister's who lived 6 hours away in Chehalis for Thanksgiving. She slipped, fell, and hurt her arm. She drove on, but the next day was in a good bit of pain, so my sister got her an appt with a doctor there in her town to look at the arm.

Rachel got back into the examination room where a very nice young-ish black doctor looked at her information.

"You're from South Carolina?" he asked.
"Yes," my daughter answered.
"Then you may have heard of my grandfather. He was from SC," replied the doctor. "His name was Strom Thurmond."
My daughter admitted to me that she was afraid he was mocking her about being from SC.
"Yes, I have," she said.
"My mother is Essie Mae Washington," the doctor explained,"his first child."

Then my daughter remembered the story that had come out earlier. She said he was a very nice doctor, and to my knowledge he still practices in that area.

Phrikkin' A+ Right There Now!!!

Oh no, that would be the end of the world.

They could change every name of every building and I would not care as long as the university is still called Clemson.

Its hilarious you guy are arguing over this. The rivalry is so bitter for you guys that you bring up Ben Tillman often. Amazing.
You've got your head up your butt. I'm not talking about the rivalry. I am talking about the state of South Carolina, and how it will be viewed/affected by continued support of anything to do with racism.

Do you guys even know who raised the flag? Was it a Clemson student, alumni or faculty? It could have been a random redneck from Pickens. It could have even been somebody who hates Clemson and wanted to give CU negative press.

Everybody is so quick to jump to conclusions.

I didn't make any assumptions or accusations on who put it up. I just questioned why a tater was attempting to distract from the subject of the flag being raised on Clemson's campus to USC's new wellness center. Plain and simple.

You've got your head up your butt. I'm not talking about the rivalry. I am talking about the state of South Carolina, and how it will be viewed/affected by continued support of anything to do with racism.

Right. If this was Coastal Carolina we are talking about there would not be so many threads about it.

So do you think it Tillman was still alive he would be the exact same person?

Also, not sure why you guys constantly bring this up. That was 100 years ago and Clemson can't change its history. It has never deterred recruits and never will.

In short...yes. He lived by his beliefs until he drew his last breath, so there's no reason to believe otherwise.

Strom, on the other hand, father a love child with an AA woman at a young age which affected his entire life and altered his beliefs. As I stated earlier he did and said what he had to do to fulfill his dreams and aspirations of becoming a politician, moving to higher office and retaining his status. One sign that he had changed his views was funding his daughters college education and funneling her money throughout the rest of his life. And as sad as it is, and as much of a struggle as it was to all involved, they kept it quiet so it wouldn't ruin his political career and his "legacy". And knowing that his daughter has admitted that she understood his predicament and never spoke about it until after he passed out of respect for him should be enough for anyone with any sense to know that he had changed throughout the course of his life.
Now...can you honestly say that pitchfork would have done the same, or that knowing he had a AA lovechild (which he possibly did...and maybe more than one...but wasn't born out of a consensual relationship and the mother(s) would have been too terrified to ever speak about it) would have altered his beliefs? I honestly don't believe it would.

And as far as Tillman being one of the main founders behind creating Clempzin and Winthrop...don't forget his reasoning for doing so. It was because he was livid that the Legislature voted to allow blacks into South Carolina College.

Reactions: 67gamecock

They could change every name of every building and I would not care as long as the university is still called Clemson.

Its hilarious you guy are arguing over this. The rivalry is so bitter for you guys that you bring up Ben Tillman often. Amazing.

Um, we didn't bring it up. Some idiots at or near Clempzin raised it up, fool.

Do you guys even know who raised the flag? Was it a Clemson student, alumni or faculty? It could have been a random redneck from Pickens. It could have even been somebody who hates Clemson and wanted to give CU negative press.

Everybody is so quick to jump to conclusions.

"It could have even been somebody who hates Clemson and wanted to give CU negative press."

Yep, had to be a coot. Just like when the rock was vandalized...oh wait.

I never got an answer out of any of you CU fans about the population of AA non-athletes at your school. Yeah, I could probably find it online, but I know it would hurt more for one of you to have to step up and post it...so I'll give it a little more time before I waste my time to find it.

"It could have even been somebody who hates Clemson and wanted to give CU negative press."

Yep, had to be a coot. Just like when the rock was vandalized...oh wait.

I never got an answer out of any of you CU fans about the population of AA non-athletes at your school. Yeah, I could probably find it online, but I know it would hurt more for one of you to have to step up and post it...so I'll give it a little more time before I waste my time to find it.

Guess you missed the point about jumping to conclusions. Did I say it was a cock fan?

And yes it would be a waste of your time because you would come to realize how off you really are. Do your research and note that many public schools like penn state and u of Miami have the same % of American Americans students as Clemson. Sounds like you will be surprised.

In short...yes. He lived by his beliefs until he drew his last breath, so there's no reason to believe otherwise.

Strom, on the other hand, father a love child with an AA woman at a young age which affected his entire life and altered his beliefs. As I stated earlier he did and said what he had to do to fulfill his dreams and aspirations of becoming a politician, moving to higher office and retaining his status. One sign that he had changed his views was funding his daughters college education and funneling her money throughout the rest of his life. And as sad as it is, and as much of a struggle as it was to all involved, they kept it quiet so it wouldn't ruin his political career and his "legacy". And knowing that his daughter has admitted that she understood his predicament and never spoke about it until after he passed out of respect for him should be enough for anyone with any sense to know that he had changed throughout the course of his life.
Now...can you honestly say that pitchfork would have done the same, or that knowing he had a AA lovechild (which he possibly did...and maybe more than one...but wasn't born out of a consensual relationship and the mother(s) would have been too terrified to ever speak about it) would have altered his beliefs? I honestly don't believe it would.

And as far as Tillman being one of the main founders behind creating Clempzin and Winthrop...don't forget his reasoning for doing so. It was because he was livid that the Legislature voted to allow blacks into South Carolina College.

So you are saying strom Thurmond was not racist later in life because he gave money to his own half black daughter? What? Think about that. If he had "changed" he would would have said screw the politics and came out with it.

Do you hate withrop too?

Using idiot and the spelling "Clempzin" in the same sentence is an oxymoron. This you have to admit big strong fast dude.

And yet in making your point, you ignored the word "fool" within that second sentence.

Blissful that was.

:cool::p

This happened just last year at Clemson....maybe they can have a Cripmas in July party....

B4YMfhlCIAAHboM.png

B_oLcHyUcAApgN9.jpg

Looks like fun.

Are people going to start complainig about Halloween next?

It's sad that people can't have a theme party without somebody getting offended.

Last edited:
Right. If this was Coastal Carolina we are talking about there would not be so many threads about it.

I don't think this is Coastal Carolina or USC's Wellness & Fitness Center but nice try.

8252277_G_zpsnpt3u3aa.jpg

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Coastal is right in the middle of a huge tourist area. The media would like nothing more than a call to boycott Myrtle Beach.

OP So somebody raises a flag on the flagpole, spray paints racial graffeti on the buildings walls, and you conclude it was sanctioned by Clemson University? Okay.

going back a little far there aren't you? Ben Tillman died in 1918. He was leading mobs murdering black people well after the civil war. He really wasn't any better than a KKK Grand Wizard accept he didn't hide behind a sheet.

And the majority of South Carolinians voted for him - not just Pickens County voters.

Every time one of my Gamecock brothers tries to shame Clemson by invoking his name, he shames the whole state.

This was really a stupid act carried out by a moron or a group of morons. The issue of Thurmond vs Tillman is as different as believing a race is inferior as believing in genocide. I would think the Tillman genocidal rants far exceed a lesser race argument. That (Tillman) is the most visible structure and the center piece of the campus. It will be an issue in the coming years whether you guys want to believe it or not. The media has nothing left to fixate on. That is the next "hot topic...15 minutes of fame" issue before the South Carolina media and soon to be national media. It will scar clemsux well beyond the changing the name because you will be forced into it and it will seem like it's a fight for your racial past. It will be interesting to see to say the least.

And the majority of South Carolinians voted for him - not just Pickens County voters.

Every time one of my Gamecock brothers tries to shame Clemson by invoking his name, he shames the whole state.
I really don't care, I wasn't there. I am calling him a bad dude and if USC has anything named after him or statues honoring him they need to go. Don't care if he was founder or made donations, that doesn't mean he deserves credit for anything today. He's dead almost years. Any school should distance themselves from an absolute scumbag like Tillman.

Reactions: funktavious
OP So somebody raises a flag on the flagpole, spray paints racial graffeti on the buildings walls, and you conclude it was sanctioned by Clemson University? Okay.
It was a political message not a racist message. Do Clemson teach their students how racist this man was or do the just gloss over it and talk about his grand accomplishments? the vandals were just exposing the truth Clemson tries to hide.

It was a political message not a racist message. Do Clemson teach their students how racist this man was or do the just gloss over it and talk about his grand accomplishments? the vandals were just exposing the truth Clemson tries to hide.

So thinking back my comparison and calling out of Thurmond was a poor choice. I do have one question though for everyone on this board. Do we erase what everyone who was a racist did in this country now? If so then the history books will be really thin. What I mean is most everyone was racist at that time and it was just the way it was. Do we erase the good anyone done based on them being racist?
I know this will rub SC people the wrong way but take J Marion Sims as a example. He has a statue in Columbia. By many accounts he was a racist butcher who experimented on unwilling female slaves. To others he was the father of modern Gynecology and made many advances in his career to improve female reproductive health. So lets say he was the racist butcher that some say he was. Do we completely ignore all the "good" he achieved in this live or because some considered him a racist do you wipe it all from history?

Are we as a society not able to separate the good from the bad for people that lived in that day? Do we just paint everyone who was racist with the same brush and wipe them all from history? The current situation in Memphis is another example. They are going to dig up the grave of a man who because he owned slaved and was confederate general was labeled as a racist even though every piece ever written about him says he wasnt.

Is it possible to separate the fact someone was a racist slave owner and give them credit for their accomplishments out side of that. While I couldnt care less what happens to the flag and understand the feelings toward Tillman when it comes him being racist. I also understand the idea that without him there would have likely been no Clemson. Is it impossible to separate his personal feelings from the contributions he made founding Clemson?

Please no smart #%$ comments. I would like some real discussion.

Last edited:
So thinking back my comparison and calling out of Thurmond was a poor choice. I do have one question though for everyone on this board. Do we erase what everyone who was a racist did in this country now? If so then the history books will be really thin. What I mean is most everyone was racist at that time and it was just the way it was. Do we erase the good anyone done based on them being racist?
I know this will rub SC people the wrong way but take J Marion Sims as a example. He has a statue in Columbia. By many accounts he was a racist butcher who experimented on unwilling female slaves. To others he was the father of modern Gynecology and made many advances in his career to improve female reproductive health. So lets say he was the racist butcher that some say he was. Do we completely ignore all the "good" he achieved in this live or because some considered him a racist do you wipe it all from history?

Are we as a society not able to separate the good from the bad for people that lived in that day? Do we just paint everyone who was racist with the same brush and wipe them all from history? The current situation in Memphis is another example. They are going to dig up the grave of a man who because he owned slaved and was confederate general was labeled as a racist even though every piece ever written about him says he wasnt.

Is it possible to separate the fact someone was a racist slave owner and give them credit for their accomplishments out side of that. While I couldnt care less what happens to the flag and understand the feelings toward Tillman when it comes him being racist. I also understand the idea that without him there would have likely been no Clemson. Is it impossible to separate his personal feelings from the contributions he made founding Clemson?

This isn't your board but this is your school...

8252277_G_zpsnpt3u3aa.jpg

In 1801 every state was a slave state. The big difference today is, Clemson's racest culture still alive and well while USC and other southern universities have made remarkable progress in race relations. We at USC have peaceful harmony with black and white students. No black group of kids are in protest about being cast as second class students and Carolina has no racest frat parties on MLK or any other day.

In 1801 every state was a slave state. The big difference today is, Clemson's racest culture still alive and well while USC and other southern universities have made remarkable progress in race relations. We at USC have peaceful harmony with black and white students. No black group of kids are in protest about being cast as second class students and Carolina has no racest frat parties on MLK or any other day.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...suspended-picture-showing-racist-word-n335731

Last edited:

Plus we've had a black quarterback for the past 4 seasons. When was the last time Clemson had a black quarterback?

Oh wait, I got confused. Nevermind.

Wait a darn minute - your saying Strom like a lot of Older White Men of his time, had jungle fever - got the young lady pregnant - paid her & her family to keep it quite & called them bad names behind their backs for political gain = Slave Owner Mentality!
Wait a darn minute 2 - your saying that Pitch Fork (died 1918) & The Boys started/created CU & Winthrop less than 20 years after slavery was abolished (1865) because the SC Legislature passed a law allowing Negros into SC College. My friend, there is no way that can be accurate i.e. Segregation/Integration laws established by the federal government were not upheld in SC until 1970 besides slaves could not read or write much less attend college...oops maybe the ones having (raped) sex with Slave Owners!

Someone remembered it. And yes, the flag is racist. That is why people don't like it, not because it represents inbreds and rednecks, the inbreds and rednecks just take heat for trying to defend it, and so should anyone that tried to defend I

Inbreds and rednecks? Label people do you?

you guys are helarious putting pics up of clemson when it was your city who had the flag flying for years???? why dont you guys worry about your own back yard and stop pointing fingers at clemson!! you guys act like you guys dont have racism in columbia lmao!!! racism exist everywhere!!! see you losers in november!!!

Oh, we are going to make you pay dearly for the sins of Tillman. I did not know myself, as a longtime quempsum hater, the extent of that man's barbaric ways.

Last edited:
Oh, we are going to make you pay dearly for the sins of Tillman. I did not know myself, as a longtime quempsum hater, the extent of that man's barbaric ways.

Just how are you going to make me pay dearly Freddie? I can't wait to hear this because your reponses are always hilarious. Thanks in advance!

Excellent points...I just don't know what we do going forward frankly. Look at Thomas Jefferson. He was a slave owner. He allegedly fathered many children with slaves and had a famous ongoing relationship with one. Her name escapes me now. He did later free all of his slaves. Without Jefferson this country wouldn't be here. I think we will just have to accept the good with the bad.

Reactions: 4forcu
Got ya! Even funnier having People Of Caucasian Race discussing who is or has a worst history of racism...absolutely hysterical!
She was suspended......Tillman Hall still stands....and the pictures of the 'cripson party" exceed that idiotic move by one of our own. There were multiple students in that picture....not just one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT