ADVERTISEMENT

Confederate flag raised at Clemson....

I have wondered the same thing.

Wonder no more.

mike-bellamy.jpg

Tell you what would be hilarious.... if all the black football student athletes at clemmons suddenly banded together and went on strike the day before the fall camp starts to demand that tillman hall be renamed!! I bet it would only take about 10 minutes for the plaque that reads "tillman hall" would be down on the ground!

Or... if some of their black football student athletes decided to transfer out to another school all because they are just now finding out the true history behind clemmons U. dumbo would be on his knee's begging them to stay lol.

Wait a darn minute - your saying Strom like a lot of Older White Men of his time, had jungle fever - got the young lady pregnant - paid her & her family to keep it quite & called them bad names behind their backs for political gain = Slave Owner Mentality!
Wait a darn minute 2 - your saying that Pitch Fork (died 1918) & The Boys started/created CU & Winthrop less than 20 years after slavery was abolished (1865) because the SC Legislature passed a law allowing Negros into SC College. My friend, there is no way that can be accurate i.e. Segregation/Integration laws established by the federal government were not upheld in SC until 1970 besides slaves could not read or write much less attend college...oops maybe the ones having (raped) sex with Slave Owners!

Good grief...

From sc.edu

A diverse, if short-lived, university

State leaders revived the institution in 1866 as the University of South Carolina with ambitious plans for a diverse university that included the first African-Americans to serve on the board of trustees (1868) and the first African-American students (1873).

While politically controversial, this development was an extraordinary opportunity for South Carolinians at a time when opportunities for higher education were rare. The University of South Carolina became the only Southern state university to admit and grant degrees to African-American students during the Reconstruction era.

But with a nearly empty state treasury, the institution failed to reach its former status. Following the end of Reconstruction in 1877, South Carolina's conservative leaders closed the university. They reopened it in 1880 as an all-white agricultural college and during the next 25 years the institution became enmeshed in the upheaval of late 19th century South Carolina politics.

In short...yes. He lived by his beliefs until he drew his last breath, so there's no reason to believe otherwise.

Strom, on the other hand, father a love child with an AA woman at a young age which affected his entire life and altered his beliefs. As I stated earlier he did and said what he had to do to fulfill his dreams and aspirations of becoming a politician, moving to higher office and retaining his status. One sign that he had changed his views was funding his daughters college education and funneling her money throughout the rest of his life. And as sad as it is, and as much of a struggle as it was to all involved, they kept it quiet so it wouldn't ruin his political career and his "legacy". And knowing that his daughter has admitted that she understood his predicament and never spoke about it until after he passed out of respect for him should be enough for anyone with any sense to know that he had changed throughout the course of his life.
Now...can you honestly say that pitchfork would have done the same, or that knowing he had a AA lovechild (which he possibly did...and maybe more than one...but wasn't born out of a consensual relationship and the mother(s) would have been too terrified to ever speak about it) would have altered his beliefs? I honestly don't believe it would.

And as far as Tillman being one of the main founders behind creating Clempzin and Winthrop...don't forget his reasoning for doing so. It was because he was livid that the Legislature voted to allow blacks into South Carolina College.

Or did he pay mama to keep her mouth shut? How many times do you think Strom would have got voted back in if this came out?

"It could have even been somebody who hates Clemson and wanted to give CU negative press."

Yep, had to be a coot. Just like when the rock was vandalized...oh wait.

I never got an answer out of any of you CU fans about the population of AA non-athletes at your school. Yeah, I could probably find it online, but I know it would hurt more for one of you to have to step up and post it...so I'll give it a little more time before I waste my time to find it.

Why does it have to be AA???? How about all colors???? What is a AA?

Reactions: jblanken64
Why does it have to be AA???? How about all colors???? What is a AA?

We're discussing racial issues and you're gonna pretend you don't know what the abbreviation AA means?

I tell ya what...how about I tell you and then you can answer my question for me? Cool

It means African American.

Now it's your turn...GO

So do you think it Tillman was still alive he would be the exact same person?

Also, not sure why you guys constantly bring this up. That was 100 years ago and Clemson can't change its history. It has never deterred recruits and never will.
It's never been complained about by the small percentage of non football African American students that go to Clemson. Now it is and your controlled media doesn't press the issue nor will they ask Dabo his opinion next time he is interviewed publicly in front of cameras. You can't change history but the opinions and decisionss your administrators and coaches have matter!!!!

Or did he pay mama to keep her mouth shut? How many times do you think Strom would have got voted back in if this came out?

Ok, you think he simply paid her to keep her mouth shut. Or do you think he threatened her to keep her mouth shut and paid her? It's pretty obvious you believe there is something sinister to the entire affair. Surely if he forced her to have sex and then tried to pay her off to cover it up she would've taken him down at some point in time. Probably not during the 60's or 70's but later on she could have gone to the NAACP or other organization for protection and let the world know.

My take is that she was a proud and decent person. And it's obvious that she wasn't a vengeful, spiteful soul or why else wouldn't she have taken him down? And why did she raise her daughter or convince at whatever point in time that she told her who her real father was that she should also keep it under the rug, at least until he passed away? There had to be a level mutual agreement and respect from both sides, and maybe even compassion and concern for each other, for them to keep it a secret all those years, and especially on the part of the mother knowing Strom's political views. Maybe she knew and understood he was kow-towing to his base in order to keep his job and his clout, and she cared enough to not ruin it, and maybe it was for the money.

Either way, I think it would be a safe bet Pitchfork Ben would have never handled the situation the way Strom did. He owned a lot of ropes, and he had no conscience or soul.

Good grief...

From sc.edu

A diverse, if short-lived, university

State leaders revived the institution in 1866 as the University of South Carolina with ambitious plans for a diverse university that included the first African-Americans to serve on the board of trustees (1868) and the first African-American students (1873).

While politically controversial, this development was an extraordinary opportunity for South Carolinians at a time when opportunities for higher education were rare. The University of South Carolina became the only Southern state university to admit and grant degrees to African-American students during the Reconstruction era.

But with a nearly empty state treasury, the institution failed to reach its former status. Following the end of Reconstruction in 1877, South Carolina's conservative leaders closed the university. They reopened it in 1880 as an all-white agricultural college and during the next 25 years the institution became enmeshed in the upheaval of late 19th century South Carolina politics.
This still does not add up nor does it have validity! African - Americans really shouldn't the term be Negros or Colored. Also, how are the Negros to go from Slaves - Uneducated Slaves - College Students! Good Grief where are you getting these articles - If valid submit link - Good Grief!

It's never been complained about by the small percentage of non football African American students that go to Clemson. Now it is and your controlled media doesn't press the issue nor will they ask Dabo his opinion next time he is interviewed publicly in front of cameras. You can't change history but the opinions and decisionss your administrators and coaches have matter!!!!

Yup. How many reporters asked Spurrier how he felt about the flag...even though he isn't a politician and it didn't fly on USC's campus, and really had nothing to do with USC (other than the NCAA ban)?

But we know the propaganda machine at Clempzin doesn't allow their media to ask any question that don't fit their agenda.

This still does not add up nor does it have validity! African - Americans really shouldn't the term be Negros or Colored. Also, how are the Negros to go from Slaves - Uneducated Slaves - College Students! Good Grief where are you getting these articles - If valid submit link - Good Grief!

Good grief, let me see if I can jump start a brain cell or 2,000,000 in your head. Where in the article I pasted did it say anything about former slaves becoming students or serving on the BOT? It didn't, now did it. I know this may be hard for you to fathom, and you might need a BC powder or 10 before you read this...but yes, there were some educated Africans and African Americans in the 1800's living in America.

BTW, I gave you a link. Go there and read it for yourself. Do you really think USC's official website would make it up? Or do you not know how to search for a website or url, do I really need to give you a link to find it?

Then again, maybe someone gave you a link to FGF and that's why you spend so much time on here rather than researching your own questions.

Reactions: jblanken64
Yup. How many reporters asked Spurrier how he felt about the flag...even though he isn't a politician and it didn't fly on USC's campus, and really had nothing to do with USC (other than the NCAA ban)?

But we know the propaganda machine at Clempzin doesn't allow their media to ask any question that don't fit their agenda.
It's pretty clear the clemmons media types are not allowed to ask a question that dumbo cannot give a positive answer too.

Guess you missed the point about jumping to conclusions. Did I say it was a cock fan?

And yes it would be a waste of your time because you would come to realize how off you really are. Do your research and note that many public schools like penn state and u of Miami have the same % of American Americans students as Clemson. Sounds like you will be surprised.
The U of Miami is a private school. And the % of AA people in the state of SC compared to PA and being represented in the school population isn't comparable.

The U of Miami is a private school. And the % of AA people in the state of SC compared to PA and being represented in the school population isn't comparable.

Lol, I don't know which is funnier, Taters at Caucasian U bringing up Miami, which is only 50% white, or having to go 650 miles north to justify their enrollment numbers. Grasping at straws.

We're discussing racial issues and you're gonna pretend you don't know what the abbreviation AA means?

I tell ya what...how about I tell you and then you can answer my question for me? Cool

It means African American.

Now it's your turn...GO
I don't any African Americans. I know a lot of Black Americans and have a lot of black friends but I don't know anyone from Africa that became Americans

I don't any African Americans. I know a lot of Black Americans and have a lot of black friends but I don't know anyone from Africa that became Americans

I would guess you don't know or associate with many of either.

After all, you did chose to go to CU, didn't you?

Good grief, let me see if I can jump start a brain cell or 2,000,000 in your head. Where in the article I pasted did it say anything about former slaves becoming students or serving on the BOT? It didn't, now did it. I know this may be hard for you to fathom, and you might need a BC powder or 10 before you read this...but yes, there were some educated Africans and African Americans in the 1800's living in America.

BTW, I gave you a link. Go there and read it for yourself. Do you really think USC's official website would make it up? Or do you not know how to search for a website or url, do I really need to give you a link to find it?

Then again, maybe someone gave you a link to FGF and that's why you spend so much time on here rather than researching your own questions.

My friend Please Relax & do not stress yourself! Yes, I read your link & challenged it based on refreshing Black as African Americans & zero reference of where the pool of Educated Negros/Colored we're going to come from - thus there would be zero threat to a majority race, much less, needed because laws were already in place to keep races separate. Thing called Jim Crowe - Separate but Equal. I don't do drugs especially BC powder, link to FGF based on simple push of button, enjoy the exchange with you Irt this post because it really challenged you. But again, please calm down - I am not worth you having a bad day. Proverbs 3:5-6 Amen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT