ADVERTISEMENT

Is CockyTalk dead for good?

It's crazy to see so many poster's here talk about being banned at CT, but honestly I can see why. Most poster's here are so negative, that I can't tell the real fans from the trolls during the season.
I didn’t get banned for negativity, I was banned because I got into it with one of their beloved Tennessee trolls they love and protect vigilantly over there. I went, he stayed. I don’t know many Gamecock fans that search out Gamecock forums so they can muck it up with a rival school and have that rival school bash your team on your own teams board, but hey, that seems to be the business model they’re going for on CT. More power to ‘em.

I didn’t get banned for negativity, I was banned because I got into it with one of their beloved Tennessee trolls they love and protect vigilantly over there. I went, he stayed. I don’t know many Gamecock fans that search out Gamecock forums so they can muck it up with a rival school and have that rival school bash your team on your own teams board, but hey, that seems to be the business model they’re going for on CT. More power to ‘em.
On CT, "negative" meant critical thinking or using your mental faculties to make educated conversation that posed questions unrelated to uniforms or "how amazing the team was going to be".

Good riddance.

EDIT: Chuck Hoskins (the guy who started it) was an okay dude, but when he stopped being involved and some others took over (or were running it for him), they got ban happy. You couldn't have an opinion that wasn't GLOWING about any and all. If you did, people would attack your opinion, you would defend it and then you get banned.
That’s not 100% true. As long as you matched the moods of the mods you were okay. Like the things they like don’t like the things they don’t and they were fine. It was when you stepped out of line and didn’t like something they did that there were problems.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I want all Gamecock forums to be successful. They say it is down for maintenance. But what college fan forum does maintenance on signing day week. Whatever the issue is I certainly hope they get it fixed.

Apparently the site got hacked....again. Ken Hoskins is moving the site to another server that apparently will provide better protection against hacks and malware.

The problem I see with Cockytalk is the same problem that plagues any and all message boards/forums. It has nothing to do with it being for sports, or iPods, or politics, or cooking recipe forums. When the ownership stop paying attention to their forums, and stay away from them, then the website begins to dry rot and die a slow but steady death.

The moderators who police the forums cannot do anything about it - they are essentially just like any other poster, but with certain extra authorities, but they have no control over the administration of the site itself.

Hoskins essentially has nothing to do with Cockytalk anymore, and it requires one of those moderators to contact him when anything goes wrong, for him to do anything about it. It can often take days before he begins. Cockytalk is already a dead site walking, IMO, even if they are able to fix it this time.....

Apparently the site got hacked....again. Ken Hoskins is moving the site to another server that apparently will provide better protection against hacks and malware.

The problem I see with Cockytalk is the same problem that plagues any and all message boards/forums. It has nothing to do with it being for sports, or iPods, or politics, or cooking recipe forums. When the ownership stop paying attention to their forums, and stay away from them, then the website begins to dry rot and die a slow but steady death.

The moderators who police the forums cannot do anything about it - they are essentially just like any other poster, but with certain extra authorities, but they have no control over the administration of the site itself.

Hoskins essentially has nothing to do with Cockytalk anymore, and it requires one of those moderators to contact him when anything goes wrong, for him to do anything about it. It can often take days before he begins. Cockytalk is already a dead site walking, IMO, even if they are able to fix it this time.....

That sucks...

It sure never stopped them from getting ban happy.

The operate under the Good ol' boy system. If you get into an argument with one of the friends on the board you will be the one banned even if you weren't the one flaming.
Like others have pointed out, too often their friends were fans of other schools. Between that and basically never being able to take paid, professional coaches to task without getting banned I said to hell with them. I enjoy this board MUCH better.

Still out of commission. They used to have really good baseball game threads I would follow when I couldn't watch a game. And good free recruiting info.

Reactions: GSGP69 and 92Pony
Still out of commission. They used to have really good baseball game threads I would follow when I couldn't watch a game. And good free recruiting info.
Yep, for all that people bitch and moan about it, there were some really good things over on CT that you just don't get here.
I wish they would get their 'stuff' in gear and get the site back up.

Last edited:
Reactions: lawcalcock
I'm a GCC man myself. One time years ago I went over to a board, can't remember the name of the site but it's the one with Tony M. This was before Tony M. joined that site and I mentioned I had heard D. Summers was going to do something (I cant' remember what) and I got banned for saying I had heard something. At that time you couldn't say you heard something, I don't know about now, like I said it has been many many years ago and I've had no desire to visit that site again.

I regularly visit 3 or 4 different Gamecock web boards (when they're up). I manage to glean a little something from each.

I posted that I was taking a break from football after the loss to UF, that fruitcake with the hideous Hugh Laurie logo banned me for two years for saying this. They loved to ban people for stupid stuff on that site. It was embarrassing that we have fans with that thin of skin. I am sorry, but the truth is the truth, if you cannot handle the truth then maybe you should not start a business that is a college football internet message board?

A free message board needs ad traffic to survive, if you ban all the posters you get no ad traffic, so they got what they deserved. Good riddance!

It was a good site but I got Banned for using language the same posters where using but I guess I was The lucky one. I hope it gets back up bc the recruiting page.

Reactions: 92Pony
I posted that I was taking a break from football after the loss to UF, that fruitcake with the hideous Hugh Laurie logo banned me for two years for saying this. They loved to ban people for stupid stuff on that site. It was embarrassing that we have fans with that thin of skin. I am sorry, but the truth is the truth, if you cannot handle the truth then maybe you should not start a business that is a college football internet message board?

A free message board needs ad traffic to survive, if you ban all the posters you get no ad traffic, so they got what they deserved. Good riddance!

It was a good site but I got Banned for using language the same posters where using but I guess I was The lucky one. I hope it gets back up bc the recruiting page.
So, the site was capricious. Would that be fair to say?

Cockytalk was NOT a "business". Gamecock Central IS a business, but if you violate the posting rules, you will get banned here too. The US Constitution does not play a role with privately owned and funded internet message boards - if they set a rule that you will get banned for posting, "Hi, I'm new!", and you post, "hi, I'm new!" there, you can cry all you like about being banned, but no one did anything wrong with banning you....

Reactions: rogue cock
Me. either, but I looked at it and saw it was a saccharin site. So I familiarized myself with their preferred style - and adopted a different approach everyplace else I post.Laughing

There are literally tons of college sports message boards that will allow a poster to bitch and moan about a certain team, and no one will ever do anything, because they don't care about the team that's being bitched and moaned about. If I feel the need to scream and vent anonymously about my favorite sports teams, I will always have plenty of places to go and do it, with out the need of fearing that I will get banned, as long as I don't violate posting rules that have nothing to do with the team that I am ranting about.

I often like to have a place to go that's dedicated towards my favorite college sports teams, and usually that dedication will mean in a positive fashion. I will post negatively about my teams when they perform negatively (in my view), but posting stuff like " team ______ sucks", "player _______ sucks", or "fire this or that" doesn't interest me because, for one thing, my college sports teams being South Carolina Gamecocks sports teams, there's more than our fair share of mediocrity and struggles on the playing field, so the message boards can get swamped with posts of such negativity and fan rebellion.

That's never fun to read, and I want to go to message boards to have fun. I am an old person, so I learned long ago how to vent my frustrations without the need of a computer to do it towards....

Cockytalk was NOT a "business". Gamecock Central IS a business, but if you violate the posting rules, you will get banned here too. The US Constitution does not play a role with privately owned and funded internet message boards - if they set a rule that you will get banned for posting, "Hi, I'm new!", and you post, "hi, I'm new!" there, you can cry all you like about being banned, but no one did anything wrong with banning you....
Oh BS. There was no consistency for how posters got banned, nor for how long. Unless it was for not being being all sunshine and unicorns. But even that was forgivable -- if you were an opposing fan. Then you could bash away to your hearts content.

So maybe they were at least consistent as far as that went.

There are literally tons of college sports message boards that will allow a poster to bitch and moan about a certain team, and no one will ever do anything, because they don't care about the team that's being bitched and moaned about. If I feel the need to scream and vent anonymously about my favorite sports teams, I will always have plenty of places to go and do it, with out the need of fearing that I will get banned, as long as I don't violate posting rules that have nothing to do with the team that I am ranting about.

I often like to have a place to go that's dedicated towards my favorite college sports teams, and usually that dedication will mean in a positive fashion. I will post negatively about my teams when they perform negatively (in my view), but posting stuff like " team ______ sucks", "player _______ sucks", or "fire this or that" doesn't interest me because, for one thing, my college sports teams being South Carolina Gamecocks sports teams, there's more than our fair share of mediocrity and struggles on the playing field, so the message boards can get swamped with posts of such negativity and fan rebellion.

That's never fun to read, and I want to go to message boards to have fun. I am an old person, so I learned long ago how to vent my frustrations without the need of a computer to do it towards....
I enjoy reading anything I agree with, if it's pretty literate. I don't go in for personal insults and name-calling, and that means towards players or other posters. That's for people who aren't smart enough to articulate thoughts.

I'm old also. One place dedicated to sports is as good as any other place to vent when it's only about sports. The older a person gets, the more trivial sports become(s). At least, I think that's true of most people.

Oh BS. There was no consistency for how posters got banned, nor for how long. Unless it was for not being being all sunshine and unicorns. But even that was forgivable -- if you were an opposing fan. Then you could bash away to your hearts content.

True I got banned for venting about recruiting and such when spurrier had mailed it in and let jr take over. They banned me. When will ban be lifted? NEVER. Lol. So that’s fine I brought my half empty cup back to Fgf!

True I got banned for venting about recruiting and such when spurrier had mailed it in and let jr take over. They banned me. When will ban be lifted? NEVER. Lol. So that’s fine I brought my half empty cup back to Fgf!
Spurticus used to be pretty strict with enforcing bans. He eventually left the board because of posters getting out of line according to him. I will give Spurticus some credit. He was the reason Spurrier had to shut down the open fall camp practices. He would write really in depth analysis on the practices and scrimmages and post on CT. Spurrier mentioned that some people were sharing too much detailed info as the reason.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
CT would not allow a thread on their site where you could openly bash another Gamecock site (including this one). I also know that some of the things people allegedly got banned for is not accurate. I got banned a few times and when I was allowed back in, it was not what I thought.
They consistently had problems with repeat offenders who had multiple accounts and were nuisance trolls. I wouldn't mind if it came back as a pay site.

They always had the Gamecock equestrian updated by match , Great baseball live commentary , good recruiting info

LOL, I was a poster there for over 10 years. This is not an accurate description of the site, by many many miles. There were tons of negative posting on the site, but they didn't want it to take over the site, so they created "vent" threads. How the hell can a site that only wants sunshine and unicorns have "vent" threads?? It's because your perspective is not accurate, that's how.

But then people who not only knew about the vent threads, but knew about them for years, would still start other threads outside of the vent threads, and then vent about it. Or people would get posts deleted, then start new threads calling out the moderators for deleting them. Or they would get banned and then create alt. accts and come back, only to get banned again because everyone knew who they were.

I've even seen a few "likes" here for certain posts, where those posters were banned from CT for trolling, deliberately posting negative stuff ad nausea in game threads when the teams were winning, or other threads that were positive in nature.

There were posting abuses all over the site - prospect recruiting threads that get hijacked by 2 posters debating the recruiting practices of Clemson or some other program, that would result in pages of posts in that prospect's thread. Of course, those posters get their posts deleted or then get banned, and then they cry about how CT is all nazi and unfair. I've seen it all, LOL. I've even got caught up in it, and have had several of my own posts deleted. But I never called out the admin there, because I've been around that block a million times, and know what it's all about...

LOL, I was a poster there for over 10 years. This is not an accurate description of the site, by many many miles. There were tons of negative posting on the site, but they didn't want it to take over the site, so they created "vent" threads. How the hell can a site that only wants sunshine and unicorns have "vent" threads?? It's because your perspective is not accurate, that's how.

But then people who not only knew about the vent threads, but knew about them for years, would still start other threads outside of the vent threads, and then vent about it. Or people would get posts deleted, then start new threads calling out the moderators for deleting them. Or they would get banned and then create alt. accts and come back, only to get banned again because everyone knew who they were.

I've even seen a few "likes" here for certain posts, where those posters were banned from CT for trolling, deliberately posting negative stuff ad nausea in game threads when the teams were winning, or other threads that were positive in nature.

There were posting abuses all over the site - prospect recruiting threads that get hijacked by 2 posters debating the recruiting practices of Clemson or some other program, that would result in pages of posts in that prospect's thread. Of course, those posters get their posts deleted or then get banned, and then they cry about how CT is all nazi and unfair. I've seen it all, LOL. I've even got caught up in it, and have had several of my own posts deleted. But I never called out the admin there, because I've been around that block a million times, and know what it's all about...
This entire paragraph basically sums my -- and many others -- entire argument about why that site sucked. Vent threads? That could only be started my the mods? Seriously? And even the posts in those specific threads could get you banned if you dared to criticize paid, professional coaches. And even those threads would get shut down if there was more criticism than sunshine. (And let's not pretend like there was a vent thread following every pathetic loss.) I've NEVER seen that crap here or any other boards.

As for people trolling after they or their posts/threads got banned? Who can blame them? When the mod nazis ban you with no recourse or pathetic explanations (if any), people get angry and lash out.

Or they just leave that sorry site and come to a real one.

This entire paragraph basically sums my -- and many others -- entire argument about why that site sucked. Vent threads? That could only be started my the mods? Seriously? And even the posts in those specific threads could get you banned if you dared to criticize paid, professional coaches. And even those threads would get shut down if there was more criticism than sunshine. (And let's not pretend like there was a vent thread following every pathetic loss.) I've NEVER seen that crap here or any other boards.

As for people trolling after they or their posts/threads got banned? Who can blame them? When the mod nazis ban you with no recourse or pathetic explanations (if any), people get angry and lash out.

Or they just leave that sorry site and come to a real one.

it was about the only site with any WBB recruiting. DorchesterGamecock had some great info.

I'm a recent Cockytalk refugee who sees the writing on the wall over there. I started following both boards several years ago, but didn't join either because I didn't have the time / interest to be more involved. As my schedule changed, I joined CT about 2 years ago for the better recruiting info and busier game thread discussions (especially for sports other than football), but as others have said, both CT and FGF have had their strengths. I've continued to follow this board and get some good insights and news here that didn't make its way over there. Both CT and FGF have great posters (some of whom post both here and there), idiot posters (if I never see another Thumpin' Big post again, it'll be too soon), good threads, aggravating threads, and so on. I look forward to being more involved over here now that I've joined. I admit to being amused, though, by how much time and anger some people invest in trashing another message board - I'd rather just wash it off my sandals and move on.

It was a love/hate relationship for me. I did like the information that would come out on the board, but the heavy-handed moderation just got out of control. There were supposedly forum rules but apparently no moderator rules. I had countless posts deleted which did not come anywhere close to violating a single forum rule. Spurticus was the worst for this. If he just didn't like what you had to say, he would delete your thread/post. He even banned me once just b/c I disagreed with him. I wasn't even critical of him or opinion...I acknowledged the thinking behind his opinion but just disagreed with the conclusion. He banned me faster than I could blink. Thankfully I have a VPN and had a long, long list of CT accounts I had created, so I was back within a couple minutes. I honestly couldn't tell you the number of times I was banned over there, but I can honestly say that I never violated one single forum rule. Not one time.

Anyway, I appreciated all the information that come out over there and there were a small handful of good posters, but the moderators were terrible and totally ruined the site.

Reactions: GeoCocky
It was a love/hate relationship for me. I did like the information that would come out on the board, but the heavy-handed moderation just got out of control. There were supposedly forum rules but apparently no moderator rules. I had countless posts deleted which did not come anywhere close to violating a single forum rule. Spurticus was the worst for this. If he just didn't like what you had to say, he would delete your thread/post. He even banned me once just b/c I disagreed with him. I wasn't even critical of him or opinion...I acknowledged the thinking behind his opinion but just disagreed with the conclusion. He banned me faster than I could blink. Thankfully I have a VPN and had a long, long list of CT accounts I had created, so I was back within a couple minutes. I honestly couldn't tell you the number of times I was banned over there, but I can honestly say that I never violated one single forum rule. Not one time.

Anyway, I appreciated all the information that come out over there and there were a small handful of good posters, but the moderators were terrible and totally ruined the site.

I agree. They had a couple of mods over there that were just dumb.

I'm a recent Cockytalk refugee who sees the writing on the wall over there. I started following both boards several years ago, but didn't join either because I didn't have the time / interest to be more involved. As my schedule changed, I joined CT about 2 years ago for the better recruiting info and busier game thread discussions (especially for sports other than football), but as others have said, both CT and FGF have had their strengths. I've continued to follow this board and get some good insights and news here that didn't make its way over there. Both CT and FGF have great posters (some of whom post both here and there), idiot posters (if I never see another Thumpin' Big post again, it'll be too soon), good threads, aggravating threads, and so on. I look forward to being more involved over here now that I've joined. I admit to being amused, though, by how much time and anger some people invest in trashing another message board - I'd rather just wash it off my sandals and move on.

giphy.gif

LOL! Great post - I agree with all of it - Especially the part about Thumpin' - LOL!

giphy.gif

LOL! Great post - I agree with all of it - Especially the part about Thumpin' - LOL!

Thumpin' was out of his mind. I also went and watched some clips of that comedian who used for his profile pic and he wasn't funny at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT