ADVERTISEMENT

It's officially a cluster.

Jan 30, 2015
I have posted virtually nothing during this process in the hopes that Ray Tanner was handling this well. I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I tried my best to ignore all the rumors and tweets and the endless barrage of the 24/7 media circus. Up until this morning, I thought Herman was possibly still coming. Why else would Tanner continue to drag this out? Now I see. It's because he had a simple plan with no back up. How is that possible? He had a search firm and a committee helping him! Remember he and Spurrier saying that by retiring/resigning in the middle of the season we had the jump on everyone else? Apparently not! Just about everyone else has gone out and hired a coach. UGA and Miami got theirs in a couple of days. Same with VT. Their fan bases are ecstatic about their new coaches and rightfully so. No matter who Tanner hires at this point, we are going to be divided and a significant portion of the fans are going to be angry and upset.

Tanner has failed miserably at this. Recruits are bailing left and right. If it ends up being Elliot or Muschamp or Fedora consider this a complete disaster. Right out the gate instead of building excitement and buzz for the new staff and the direction of the program, it's going to be time and energy wasted putting out fires, answering questions, deflecting negativity in the media, and spinning. This is NOT how you run a business.

I believe at this point you may as well go with the kid from OU. It's a huge gamble, but the other choices are disasters.

I have posted virtually nothing during this process in the hopes that Ray Tanner was handling this well. I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I tried my best to ignore all the rumors and tweets and the endless barrage of the 24/7 media circus. Up until this morning, I thought Herman was possibly still coming. Why else would Tanner continue to drag this out? Now I see. It's because he had a simple plan with no back up. How is that possible? He had a search firm and a committee helping him! Remember he and Spurrier saying that by retiring/resigning in the middle of the season we had the jump on everyone else? Apparently not! Just about everyone else has gone out and hired a coach. UGA and Miami got theirs in a couple of days. Same with VT. Their fan bases are ecstatic about their new coaches and rightfully so. No matter who Tanner hires at this point, we are going to be divided and a significant portion of the fans are going to be angry and upset.

Tanner has failed miserably at this. Recruits are bailing left and right. If it ends up being Elliot or Muschamp or Fedora consider this a complete disaster. Right out the gate instead of building excitement and buzz for the new staff and the direction of the program, it's going to be time and energy wasted putting out fires, answering questions, deflecting negativity in the media, and spinning. This is NOT how you run a business.

I believe at this point you may as well go with the kid from OU. It's a huge gamble, but the other choices are disasters.
Don't forget about Tanner's failure to deal with Chad Holbrook.

Some of us were laughed at for "freaking out" and claiming the sky was falling. Turns out we were prophets. Get ready for the sky to fall.

If Tanner has dragged this out and still hires a guy who has been fired from two jobs in two years then he needs to be given a severance check along with his Christmas card.
Screw the card! Send Pastides AND the BOT packing as well. I'm ready to clean house with a big broom.

Don't forget about Tanner's failure to deal with Chad Holbrook.
Give chad Holbrook time dude. People were saying that tanner needed to be fired the year we won it all. Seems people forgot the 18 point loss to the taters at the begging of the year that season.

I totally agree, it is a cluster. Tanner is no more an AD then the Pope is. Had 2 months head start and yet he continues to screw this up. We could have gotten Muschamp in 1 day, but no we took 2 months to get this loser. Said all along that Tanner couldn't handle this job.

Y'all are crazy. This is the best candidate that we have right now. You cannot force Herman or Smart to sign contracts... Muschamp can recruit, is willing to change offenses, and can put together a really good staff. What more can you ask for?
A winner that's proven himself. USC doesn't stand for University of Second Chances.

IT'A OFFICIAL NOW...IT IS ELLIOTT 3 YEAR CONTRACT WITH BONUS ADDITIVES.... OFFICIAL,,,,, BILL ELLIOTT WILL BECOME OUR NEW TEAM BUS DRIVER!!!! WOOOOH OOOO!!!!

I totally agree, it is a cluster. Tanner is no more an AD then the Pope is. Had 2 months head start and yet he continues to screw this up. We could have gotten Muschamp in 1 day, but no we took 2 months to get this loser. Said all along that Tanner couldn't handle this job.

This. TWO MONTHS to get Muschamp? And interview Dykes and Rich Rod?! May as well have just promoted Elliot back in October.

Reactions: oakley51
Y'all are crazy. This is the best candidate that we have right now. You cannot force Herman or Smart to sign contracts... Muschamp can recruit, is willing to change offenses, and can put together a really good staff. What more can you ask for?

Yep. Herman spurned us. UGA undercut us for Smart. Hopefully Muschamp will prove to be a Smart that already got his f*** up out of the way. I hope.

I'm sure he'll clean house on the defensive side, but if Jr. is retained on the O side then I'll be beyond pissed.

Reactions: GamecockJL

Jesus Christ, Herman stayed at UH and Smart went to back to his Alma Mater that has a ton more tradition then we do! What exactly do you think Tanner could have done to stop either one? Let me add that this was a very odd year for having to find a coach when you had 5 or 6 Power 5 schools in the mix. Its not like these coaches didnt have a choice.

Jesus Christ, Herman stayed at UH and Smart went to back to his Alma Mater that has a ton more tradition then we do! What exactly do you think Tanner could have done to stop either one?
He didn't have to stop them! He had to get off his ass and go hire a young up and comer like Riley or Briles and let them turn it lose!

Show me proof he could recruit players in the offensive side of the ball..show me what Florida has that he recruited ..how do we know he can change? Because he said so? Smh

He didn't have to stop them! He had to get off his ass and go hire a young up and comer like Riley or Briles and let them turn it lose!
Turn what loose? If its Muschamp its a good get and like many have said he learned the hard way and will be better for it. Great coach

No, you can't make them sign, but you can tell them to "sh## or get off the pot" and if they don't go on to the next in line. Then we may at least have Fuente or Campbell....assuming (as they should have been) they were on the list. If they were not then Tanner needs to find a new job. Seems Tanner put ALL his eggs in one basket with NO assurance that if he held off signing someone, he would be rewarded. This search regardless of any success of the next coach seems to have been a complete and total failure. Tanner was too inexperienced for the position....the Peter Principle is alive and well in our Athletic department.

I don't understand why so many of you are so down on Fedora. He was done a great job with NC. Is it the "ACC" thing, or is there some other reason?

Turn what loose? If its Muschamp its a good get and like many have said he learned the hard way and will be better for it. Great coach
It sounds like we are dealing with a former drug addict. "Learned their lesson and promises never to do it again." Sometimes in life you don't get second chances. It's just the way it is. Sometimes you only get ONE shot. He had it and he blew it.

That's why so many other schools are in line to hire the head case..because he's so good..anybody got that long list of schools trying to hire the great muschamp besides us?

No point arguing because what's done is done. But, adopting you're thinking we could re-hire Brad or Sparky.

Or, Jr.

Nobody wanted Muschamp. I just understand the reasoning. He was fired a year ago by Florida and moved on to Auburn where is defense was awful. And all hear is excuses. Meyers left him no players (except 20 future NLF players, including several first and second rounders), his AD hamstrung his offense (give me a break) and Auburn had no players (Same as excuse #1). I'm totally confused why Tanner hired this guy unless he got snowed by Spurrier. Need I remind everyone what Spurrier's last coaching hires accomplished at USC?

Reactions: garnet4me
Hey guys. I know I'm an outsider but I do live in Columbia and cheer for the Cocks second. I don't think Muschamp is the right hire. USC is primed, I mean PRIMED for an up and coming elite coach. I don't know or understand why it's taken this long to get this going, but id have to think Spurrier's connections could do better than Muschamp.

Guys, good luck and I hope that Tanner continues Spurroers legacy and gets someone worth a darn to keep this thing going!

No point arguing because what's done is done. But, adopting you're thinking we could re-hire Brad or Sparky.

Or, Jr.
Maybe, maybe not. Muschamp did go 11-2 and win the East so he's got it in him and I'm gonna support him and hope he can bring in some offense help. One things for sure he can coach the hell out of some Defense.

Nobody wanted Muschamp. I just understand the reasoning. He was fired a year ago by Florida and moved on to Auburn where is defense was awful. And all hear is excuses. Meyers left him no players (except 20 future NLF players, including several first and second rounders), his AD hamstrung his offense (give me a break) and Auburn had no players (Same as excuse #1). I'm totally confused why Tanner hired this guy unless he got snowed by Spurrier. Need I remind everyone what Spurrier's last coaching hires accomplished at USC?
Here's what doesn't make sense about Auburn not having any players. Ellis recruited those players that psycho is working with this year. Ok, well there are tons on here that wanted Ellis back for.....guess what.....recruiting! So how the hell does Will not have the players and yet we want the guy back to recruit for us who supposedly left Will with a lack of talent?

Or, Jr.
Maybe,maybe not. Muschamp did go 11-2 and win the East so he has it in him. Lets see who he hires Offensively because I know how good he is with the defense.

If it's Muschamp I will still support my Gamecocks. I may complain sometimes when we lose, but I'm a Carolina fan to the end. I will give Muschamp the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise. We need to be prepared for being a national laughingstock for hiring him though until he proves he can win. This is his last chance to prove he can coach and he knows it. We get to be the experiment.

I dont like it one bit. I think its sad and pathetic and in no way am a supporter of Champ. I guess the only thing that I can do is just wait and see what he does but I see myself having a lot more time on Saturdays during next years' CFB season because if Champ does what I think he is going to do to the program, I aint interested in watching anymore. I am sorry but Tanner is a tool of epic proportions.

Here's what doesn't make sense about Auburn not having any players. Ellis recruited those players that psycho is working with this year. Ok, well there are tons on here that wanted Ellis back for.....guess what.....recruiting! So how the hell does Will not have the players and yet we want the guy back to recruit for us who supposedly left Will with a lack of talent?
No, we want EJ for his relationship with the HS coaches and administrations in the Carolinas....not Alabama. EJ could break the stranglehold Jeff Scott enjoys with the HS coaches in this state. Simply make him director of high school relations or some similar title.

Reactions: robertfootball

Clemmons fans are saying, "Ray Tanner, you gonna drive us to drinkin, if you go hiring that Hot Rod Lincoln". Seriously, think out of the box and get away from the good old boy coaching system. Make a decision on the future of our football program. Matt Ruhl (?) at Temple would be a better hire and more well received by the faithful.

It is definitely a mess. I surfed a few SEC team boards, and the reaction to our apparent Muschamp hire ranges from laughter to relief that we did not land a quality coach. Several posts echoing our own reactions of "why did it take 2 1/2 months if they were just going to hire Muschamp?" I will hope for the best, but this is not a home run hire, or even a duck snorter.

It is definitely a mess. I surfed a few SEC team boards, and the reaction to our apparent Muschamp hire ranges from laughter to relief that we did not land a quality coach. Several posts echoing our own reactions of "why did it take 2 1/2 months if they were just going to hire Muschamp?" I will hope for the best, but this is not a home run hire, or even a duck snorter.
Frankly, it's a complete SNAFU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT