ADVERTISEMENT

‘The ACC finds new friends. The SEC needs no friends’…..

AJC

Pretty dead-on article there now!! As far as the overall benefit of their athletic department, Pickens U would give their left testicle to join The SEC right now!!

Too bad such just ain't gonna happen; for they are permanently a part of the basketball conference they helped solidify back in the late 60's and early 70's.

Thing is,l though, as long as they can dominate the acc on the football field and keep their starters healthy all season, well then come the bowl playoffs and odds are their starters are less injured than those of all The SEC Teams.

That very fact sells to quite a few 4 and 5 star guys as far as them maintaining their health and impressing the NFL throughout their entire college career(s). Lesser injury means a higher value as first round picks, which equals more $$.

Anyway, was just venting their. Its all good!! LOLOLOL!!!

I’ll never see it but in a world far, far away, we’ll be the top dog and won’t have to hang on the coattails of other SEC teams.

Reactions: PaleoCock
Mark is a UK graduate who previously worked for the Lexington Herald Leader. He is a good sports writer and I don't compliment many sportswriters.
Mark has been telling the greater Atlanta area and anyone else who will listen, for as long as I have been living here that this is the year UGA wins it's next NC.
I get it, you write for the local paper but "C'MON MAN"

Reactions: gacock and Gaimcock
AJC

Maybe I am missing something but this new alliance to me just kinda screams nothing more than "we are friends and we like each other". There is no teeth to it. Hard to see how this moves the revenue needle in their favor. Seems like much ado about nothing.

SEC is king. And yes, it just means more.

Reactions: vacock#
Maybe I am missing something but this new alliance to me just kinda screams nothing more than "we are friends and we like each other". There is no teeth to it. Hard to see how this moves the revenue needle in their favor. Seems like much ado about nothing.

Doesn’t move the revenue needle but with a rewriting of the rules in college football it puts them in charge. They can squash the 12 team playoff because they would likely have more votes. They could also say no more than 3 or 4 from 1 conference. That’s really the only power it gives them. Also sets up for a possible merge if things went really nuts but that’s left field type stuff.

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and dog gone it, people like me - Stewart Smalley

Doesn’t move the revenue needle but with a rewriting of the rules in college football it puts them in charge. They can squash the 12 team playoff because they would likely have more votes. They could also say no more than 3 or 4 from 1 conference. That’s really the only power it gives them. Also sets up for a possible merge if things went really nuts but that’s left field type stuff.
Didn’t two out of three commoasioners say in today's announcement that they were in favor of CFP expansion? They should be. It would only benefit them.

Now, them being able to put a cap on how many teams per conference can make it in is another thing. But anything beyond that seems like it would just be cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Didn’t two out of three commoasioners say in today's announcement that they were in favor of CFP expansion? They should be. It would only benefit them.

Now, them being able to put a cap on how many teams per conference can make it in is another thing. But anything beyond that seems like it would just be cutting off their nose to spite their face.

I thought one of them was quoted as saying no to the 12 team model. Makes me think 8 is the new target.

Also, I agree on capping the teams from a single conference as being the main chip this alliance brings to the table.

I think one of the issues they want to be in the drivers seat on is the rumored expansion of the scholarship limit. They don’t want to see a return to the Bear Bryant days where you signed guys just to keep them from your rivals.

Reactions: rogue cock
I thought one of them was quoted as saying no to the 12 team model. Makes me think 8 is the new target.

Also, I agree on capping the teams from a single conference as being the main chip this alliance brings to the table.
Maybe they did. I think the ACC commish is the only one that didn't say yay or nay. But expansion is coming, in one form or the other.

It may (to a lesser degree) when walk on will be paid through nil deals.
Good point. Expanding on that, a team could essentially use the loop hole of not giving an official scholarship, and use the NIL deal to offset the expenses of attending the university.
Obviously this won't work for every 25 or so scholarships offered on a yearly basis, but for the top 3-5 guys hauled in, I could see it.

I don’t understand how the ACC can be part of this alliance. Read somewhere there contract with ESPN runs til 2030 and ESPN runs the ACC network. Don’t see how they can make this decision. Guess if does not matter sense no contract was signed.

I’ll never see it but in a world far, far away, we’ll be the top dog and won’t have to hang on the coattails of other SEC teams.
I tried to see it using the Hubble telescope and I still couldn't see us. I did however see other galaxies, so I estimate we are light years away. By the way, by the time we would win the NC, aliens will have a team here to kick our a$$.

I don’t understand how the ACC can be part of this alliance. Read somewhere there contract with ESPN runs til 2030 and ESPN runs the ACC network. Don’t see how they can make this decision. Guess if does not matter sense no contract was signed.
It wouldn’t matter if a contract was signed. Espn only controls who televises their games not the inner workings of the Acc or Sec for that matter. They are free to make decisions and run the conference as they see fit and schedule who they want. Espn has no control over that.

It wouldn’t matter if a contract was signed. Espn only controls who televises their games not the inner workings of the Acc or Sec for that matter. They are free to make decisions and run the conference as they see fit and schedule who they want. Espn has no control over that.
I just believe if no legally binding contact was signed it is just irrelevant babble. Big show to try and save face. Just my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT