ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2022 WBB Team

I think it is well deserved. Really respect Stanford, UCONN, NCSU, UMD for what they did last year and how they strengthened their rosters for this year. BUT....

NOBODY strengthened their roster like we did!!
We made it to the final four with 2 subs and Amihere was the proverbial Forrest Gump box of chocolates. “You never knew what you were going to get.”

Lele was the backup PG, SG, SF, and at times PF. If she had not gotten hurt we beat Stanford. Henny played almost 35mpg Boston 32mpg.

Everybody else just kinda gilded the lily with their additions. We totally changed substitution patterns, gave much needed respite minutes, change possibilities of how the offense can run and what defenses we can play.

We can press if DS so desires, not just in desperate minutes. We can change matchups if a defender is over matched size or speed wise. We can attempt steals and blocks without worrying about fouls and depth

Game 10 this year is UMD at home. My prediction is DS will have a real good idea about combos and possibilities by this time. My hope is that this will allow us to put a welcome to the world beatdown on UMD.

I knew the 2019 team was really special when we beat Duke on teddy bear night. They were a team that would have made the tournament that year. Haley Gorecki was 1st team All ACC and a real player. We hounded her into 11 turnovers and 4 points. We won by 47.

Hoping UMD is that kinda night

Hopefully it's us, but it doesn't seem likely considering she still had two more visits left and already is choosing to commit. So I would assume her last visit is what made her choose so soon.

After looking into this, I do think it's her. Barker's post is set for Thursday at midnight and Coach Taylor mentions a midnight train to Georgia.
Some think it's another player, Sydney Bowles. Some believe that Bowles and Barker are a package deal and UGA is about to get both.

Who knows?

But, yeah I agree with you that it's probably Barker

After looking into this, I do think it's her. Barker's post is set for Thursday at midnight and Coach Taylor mentions a midnight train to Georgia.
Where do you see midnight? I’ve only seen a countdown but it’s not clear at what time she put that up and now she has a new story saying she is going live at 1:00 tomorrow

Where do you see midnight? I’ve only seen a countdown but it’s not clear at what time she put that up and now she has a new story saying she is going live at 1:00 tomorrow
Me at lunchtime tommorrow:

b2db27c674942c933d4e206e1c59ed6c.gif

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
Rider on the midnight train to Georgia is her version of "birdie in the nest." wouldn't read much into that if Barker is announcing in the afternoon. Let's hope UGA's rider is Sydney Bowles instead of Barker.

Reactions: Cockygirl1976
Rider on the midnight train to Georgia is her version of "birdie in the nest." wouldn't read much into that if Barker is announcing in the afternoon. Let's hope UGA's rider is Sydney Bowles instead of Barker.
I got the reference to the song, but I don't know how Taylor normally announces a recruiting win. It was just a huge coincidence that Barker had made her countdown for midnight instead of her actual announcement time.

It could be Bowles but all the signs point to Barker unfortunately. The fact that she stopped her other OV and is already announcing a commitment after the UGA seems like she is the most likely candidate. Also worth noting that Georgia has few more recruits they're looking at as well including Cooper.

I've never thought we would land Barker. Our roster is simply too loaded. Maybe we'll land Watkins or Cooper because this is their home state and Dawn has been recruiting them so long. But we'll see tomorrow.

Was Barker at UGA last weekend? No doubt a lot of excitement on campus with the #1 football team in the country playing a top ten opponent. Glad Dawn doesn't need to rely on the atmosphere surrounding the football team to impress recruits. lol

For your perusal

Couple of minor thoughts

Rae Burrell should have made 1st team hands down.
How Alabama got ahead ahead Mizzou is insane.

Last edited:
For your perusal

Couple of minor thoughts

Rae Burrell should have made 1st team hands down.
How Alabama got ahead ahead Mizzou is insane.

Seems like State's roster is better than 9th place, but maybe their coaching situation is why they are so low. What are Florida and MSU doing for head coaches? Just having an assistant move up to temp?

Seems like State's roster is better than 9th place, but maybe their coaching situation is why they are so low. What are Florida and MSU doing for head coaches? Just having an assistant move up to temp Mississippi State will begin the season with Novak as the interim head coach
Novak has been at State one month.... I do not foresee joy in Mudville

Mississippi State will begin the season with Doug Novak as the interim head coach.
Novak joined the Bulldogs after eight seasons leading the Bethel University's men's team, where he won 65.8% of his games and made the MIAC playoffs seven straight years. Novak led the Royals to their first MIAC regular-season title and second NCAA Tournament appearance during the 2016-17 campaign.
Novak has also served as an assistant coach at Tulane and The Citadel between 2006 and 2013. He previously worked at Roane State Community College, Iowa Western Community College, Francis Marion University and Anderson University.
Novak was a tennis player in college at Tennessee.

UF RETAINED NEWBAUER’S ENTIRE STAFF! The staff that watched his crazy tirades for 5 years.
Kellie Rae Finley is the interim to be fired later

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkCock
Here is ESPN’s first bracketology and some take aways. This is a 64 team bracket, there is a distinct possibility it will expand to 68 this year.

UCONN overall #1

We have 19 games against 15 teams in the bracket plus a game against 1 first four out.
11 games in conference and 8 OOC

4 games vs #1 seeds
1 game vs #2 seeds
3 games vs #3 seeds

9 SEC teams in and another in first four out.
7 ACC teams.
7 Big 10 teams.
7 PAC 12 teams.
5 Big 12 teams.
Marquette and DePaul are the only non power 5 teams receiving an at large bid. I see power 5 teams losing bids during conference tourneys. A rather Captain Obvious observation.

Dead weight in SEC: UF, Vandy, Bama, Aub. Quite frankly I think the only conference games these teams win will be against each other.

I also don’t get the love for UK. Ranked 11 in AP and #3 seed. Rhyne Howard is great but the rest of the starting 5 and roster is just not that impressive.
Dre’una Edwards who is 6’2” maybe, their post player ranks behind Boston, Cardoso, Key, Staiti, and Williams. And that’s just in the East.
Their other three starters: Green, Benton, and Massengill averaged a combined whopping 17.6
PPG. The bench is thin to say the least. I don’t get it.
They fall off the cliff next year losing all 5 starters and will have only 6 on the roster. My take is that Elzy gets fired after next season

Last edited:
Here is ESPN’s first bracketology and some take aways. This is a 64 team bracket, there is a distinct possibility it will expand to 68 this year.

UCONN overall #1

We have 19 games against 15 teams in the bracket plus a game against 1 first four out.
11 games in conference and 8 OOC

4 games vs #1 seeds
1 game vs #2 seeds
3 games vs #3 seeds

9 SEC teams in and another in first four out.
7 ACC teams.
7 Big 10 teams.
7 PAC 12 teams.
5 Big 12 teams.
Marquette and DePaul are the only non power 5 teams receiving an at large bid. I see power 5 teams losing bids during conference tourneys. A rather Captain Obvious observation.

Dead weight in SEC: UF, Vandy, Bama, Aub. Quite frankly I think the only conference games these teams win will be against each other.
I also don’t get the love for UK. Ranked 11 in AP and #3 seed. Rhyne Howard is great but the rest of the starting 5 and roster is just not that impressive.
Dre’una Edwards who is 6’2” maybe, their post player ranks behind Boston, Cardoso, Key, Staiti, and Williams. And that’s just in the East.
Their other three starters: Green, Benton, and Massengill averaged a combined whopping 17.6
PPG. The bench is thin to say the least. I don’t get it.
They fall off the cliff next year losing all 5 starters and will have only 6 on the roster. My take is that Elzy gets fired after next season
Two of the BIg XII teams are about to be SEC teams, Texas and Okie. If there is any dispute about which is the best WBB conference in America, there won't be in a couple of years.

Reactions: winloseortie
Prospect Nation is now listing Ashlyn Watkins as a commit to us. Anybody know if this is real?

She could be the birdie that Dawn tweeted about back in the Summer.
No, I haven't. Watkins, though, seems like the most likely of the 3 to come here IMO.

Some good stuff about the team, apparently Saxton has really worked on midrange game. That will be huge if it translate in game.

Boston losing weight and Saxton working on her jump shot imply to me that Cardoso is going to be a BIG factor this season. Coach says that Saxton will not have to worry about taking on the "girth" inside (Saxton always struggled when playing the 5). Cardoso is obviously a good player, so no surprise. But I have wondered how much Cardoso would be used this season.

I was very late to realizing Barker was considering us, y’all coached me up.
I admit I got caught up in the possibility, but she was always such an unknown for me.

Before that I repeatedly stated that Watkins and Cooper were ours and that signing them would constitute a great class. We keep them both and it’s a great class that leaves spots open and no talent gap in a class

Reactions: Gamecock Lincoln
Boston losing weight and Saxton working on her jump shot imply to me that Cardoso is going to be a BIG factor this season. Coach says that Saxton will not have to worry about taking on the "girth" inside (Saxton always struggled when playing the 5). Cardoso is obviously a good player, so no surprise. But I have wondered how much Cardoso would be used this season.
I don't know if Saxton midrange game or Boston's weightloss has much to do with Cardoso. Saxton's lack of range is one of our biggest weaknesses as a team and as Dawn stated if she has any hopes of going to the next level that skill is necessary. Overall I thought she did pretty well in the post against most opponents, but her limitations were apparent when she faced skilled bigs with a sizeable height advantage, like in the Stanford game.

As for Boston you got to remember this is her first off-season with the program(since Covid prevented it in 2020), so I'm sure her transformation has more to due with her own conditioning and versatility as a player.

Having said that I always expected Cardoso to be a huge part of the team regardless of any changes any other players made. She's a 6'8 with great speed, passing ability, defensive skills and can finish at the rim. I hate to make such a claim but she could literally change the game of women's basketball with the right improvements to her game.

I don't know if Saxton midrange game or Boston's weightloss has much to do with Cardoso. Saxton's lack of range is one of our biggest weaknesses as a team and as Dawn stated if she has any hopes of going to the next level that skill is necessary. Overall I thought she did pretty well in the post against most opponents, but her limitations were apparent when she faced skilled bigs with a sizeable height advantage, like in the Stanford game.

As for Boston you got to remember this is her first off-season with the program(since Covid prevented it in 2020), so I'm sure her transformation has more to due with her own conditioning and versatility as a player.

Having said that I always expected Cardoso to be a huge part of the team regardless of any changes any other players made. She's a 6'8 with great speed, passing ability, defensive skills and can finish at the rim. I hate to make such a claim but she could literally change the game of women's basketball with the right improvements to her game.
I'm certainly aware of Saxton's lack of range. I've mentioned that more than once myself. Dawn says that working on the midrange game is related to not having to worry about battling in the post. Why? I don't know, but that's what she said. I was mainly commenting on Dawn saying Saxton won't be down there as much.

As to Boston, I'm anxious to see how her new physique would translate on the court. Her girth (to use Dawn's word) came in very hand in the low post.

The season can't start soon enough!

The question with Boston’s weight loss, is will it allow her to play the 4 on D? If she can, well she cements her #1 pick status and the flexibility it would give us is stunning.

As to Cardoso, you severely over rate her passing ability. She is not a black hole, but her assist to turnover ratio is less than 1:1.
She is already a dominant college force, think Teiera McCowan, but can she become Britney Griner?

that's like a 5* QB choosing Kentucky football over Alabama, good luck to her though.
I can't be mad to be honest she probably saw. Georgia is building something pretty good with coach Taylor and she will easily be a stater day one there. Sucks though because she looks pretty legit and passionate and would likely been a fan favorite at CLA. But at the end of day I can't blame some players for wanting to help build a program.

Reactions: DarkCock
I can't be mad to be honest she probably saw. Georgia is building something pretty good with coach Taylor and she will easily be a stater day one there. Sucks though because she looks pretty legit and passionate and would likely been a fan favorite at CLA. But at the end of day I can't blame some players for wanting to help build a program.
I'm not mad over a WBB recruit lol it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I get she wanted playing time right away and she wouldn't get that here

This commitment really tweaks Tennessee fans. They are less concerned with catching us than holding off Georgia and LSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT