ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2022 WBB Team

Whoa my brother/sister:

UConn has everything important coming back. They also picked up a transfer back-up at post.

Many services rank their incoming class #1 ahead of us.

They already have two top-5 ranked prospects committed for the 2022 class to our zero commits.

UConn is the gold standard in wbb not Pat Summit's teams.

Both of us need to worry about Stanford and getting past the Final Four.
I agree they are the gold standard of all time but they are not the defacto top dog anymore. They have as much to prove out of the top teams as the rest of us.

Ole Miss loses to Belmont. Coach Yo gets her team to play hard, but they are a mess on offense.
They were never in the game!! 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤦‍🤦‍🤦‍♂
I just don’t get it. Shakira Austin with 5 points against Belmont? I understand Auburn losing to Ga. Southern they are in a total rebuild but OM is very talented.

Vols are in crisis mode. Burrell out and Marta Suarez who was a projected starter and all SEC freshman is out for the season with a foot injury. One game in and down two starters.

Everyone else played as expected against their non competition. Mizzou struggled but did you see what Blackwell did? 19 and 15!! Ladhazia did not start so they went with 5 guards.

Question: would you guys say that South Carolina's "blueprint" is to play hard-nosed, in your face man to man defense full time? Most teams we play always come out in some sort of zone but Dawn sticks with man to man. Seems to have for years.

Reactions: winloseortie
Question: would you guys say that South Carolina's "blueprint" is to play hard-nosed, in your face man to man defense full time? Most teams we play always come out in some sort of zone but Dawn sticks with man to man. Seems to have for years.
🤣🤣Dawn does not believe in zone. She built this program from day 1 on man to man D. Even when Aleighsa Welch played center at 6’0” and had to guard players 6’5” or taller she never abandoned man to man.
For the first four years we played some really ugly offense BUT we physically beat the hell out of whoever we played.

That's the program's identity, for sure. I can't imagine Dawn ever changing. Plus, no team in the country could beat UCONN or Stanford playing zone. They are too good at shooting from the perimeter. So we might as well play the defense all year that it's going to take to win the tournament at the end.

They were never in the game!! 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤦‍🤦‍🤦‍♂
I just don’t get it. Shakira Austin with 5 points against Belmont? I understand Auburn losing to Ga. Southern they are in a total rebuild but OM is very talented.

Vols are in crisis mode. Burrell out and Marta Suarez who was a projected starter and all SEC freshman is out for the season with a foot injury. One game in and down two starters.

Everyone else played as expected against their non competition. Mizzou struggled but did you see what Blackwell did? 19 and 15!! Ladhazia did not start so they went with 5 guards.
Apparently Williams is coming back from an injury but appears to have been pretty efficient in limited minutes. Troup played 37 minutes with 10 points and 5 assists. Looks like they both made the right decision to transfer, wish it was anybody else but Missouri, but I don't see either of them seeing the floor if they had stayed.

It’s a football day, beat Mizzou!! As I digest some of last night’s games i’ll Post some thoughts.

UT beat UCF in a rather ugly game 49-41 to go 2-0. UCF IS probably a tourney team, so a good win. They have held both opponents under 50.

Horston had a very rare triple double
14 points
11 rebounds
11 TURNOVERS

UT had 28 turnovers for the game

Reactions: DarkCock
It’s a football day, beat Mizzou!! As I digest some of last night’s games i’ll Post some thoughts.

UT beat UCF in a rather ugly game 49-41 to go 2-0. UCF IS probably a tourney team, so a good win. They have held both opponents under 50.

Horston had a very rare triple double
14 points
11 rebounds
11 TURNOVERS

UT had 28 turnovers for the game
UT had a freshman, Brooklyn Miles, who barely registered in the box score despite playing 34 minutes. She only took one shot and missed it. But she only turned the ball over once. That tells you how desperate Harper was to find someone who could just not turn the ball over. But good for the Vols to find a way to win without their best player.

btw, Harper said that Burrell didn't tear her ACL. She's out "indefinitely." It seems pretty standard now to not say much about injuries.

Florida and Vandy were blown out by Towson and Little Rock respectively. Conference RPI is going to be way down this year.

UT had a freshman, Brooklyn Miles, who barely registered in the box score despite playing 34 minutes. She only took one shot and missed it. But she only turned the ball over once. That tells you how desperate Harper was to find someone who could just not turn the ball over. But good for the Vols to find a way to win without their best player.

btw, Harper said that Burrell didn't tear her ACL. She's out "indefinitely." It seems pretty standard now to not say much about injuries.
Miles is actually the only true PG on the team. I believe she is a 3 star. The last time UT had a true good pg was 4-5 years ago when Hayes was there. I’ll believe Burrell doesn’t have a torn ligament when she plays

Reactions: DarkCock
Here's the video of the game, for those who wanted to see the end.

Feagin played center in the lineup at the end. Did a nice job of making herself available and scoring around the basket. She's obviously a physical player. Just in a tough spot to get a lot of playing time this season.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lele playing some limited minutes when conference season starts. She's going through pre-game warmups with the team now based on this video.

Reactions: roosterbell

Man D is a Staley signature. Back in our early NCAAT years in 2011-12 and 2012-13 we had 6-0 posts in Bruner and Welch, but we were 4th and 5th in the nation in Scoring Defense, thanks to Staley's man D from Walker, Sutton and Grant. We haven't had as good a Scoring D ranking since, but we NEEDED to ahve them then, because our Scoring Offense was outside the 100s due to not having a deep interior play.

Opposing teams often will play zone against us, because now-a-days we DO have a deep and talented post depth, and there's always questions about the consistency of our perimeter offense, so they try to cover inlet passing into the post players, and put pressure on the guards to score all the points from the outside. Teams who do not have comparitive talent in the post often resort to zone defense - teams like CT, Baylor, Stanford, Tennessee in their glory days - see a ton of zone defense during their seasons....

In other recruiting news #2 Kiki Rice has committed to UCLA and the Bruins will clearly have the #1 class this year. 4 in the top 22 and 5 in the top 50.

PAC 12 is killing this year 7 of the top 10 and 11 of the top 22. SEC has had a down year

Watkins is the highest recruit uncommitted

For the fourth year in a row Clemson has gotten a 5* shooting guard. #15 Ruby Whitehorn joins Gabbie Elliott and Kionna Gaines in Hooterville. Danae McNeil from Swansea transferred and was not recruited by us, we took Zia.
Amanda Butler is moving them upward. They are no longer a laughingstock. They have a fairly talented 7 player rotation with 3 guards who are capable of putting up 20 any night. Not much size but they could surprise and make the tourney field
I've been torturing myself watching Clemson vs Columbia this afternoon. Strangely, none of the players you mention have contributed. Elliott's banged up. I'm not sure if you got the names confused of the other players or what.

Clemson has been relying on superior size and athleticism against Columbia. Columbia has committed a gazillion fouls. Don't think that will work against Carolina. But Dawn isn't big on blowing teams out, so I expect Wesolek and Thompson to play 15 minutes a piece. lol. But seriously...maybe she's right. Nothing much is gained in a blowout. Better for the game to be competitive for as long as possible.

I've been torturing myself watching Clemson vs Columbia this afternoon. Strangely, none of the players you mention have contributed. Elliott's banged up. I'm not sure if you got the names confused of the other players or what.

Clemson has been relying on superior size and athleticism against Columbia. Columbia has committed a gazillion fouls. Don't think that will work against Carolina. But Dawn isn't big on blowing teams out, so I expect Wesolek and Thompson to play 15 minutes a piece. lol. But seriously...maybe she's right. Nothing much is gained in a blowout. Better for the game to be competitive for as long as possible.
That is an embarrassing loss in hooterville. Had a 14 point lead against a team who is much shorter and less athletic. Columbia got out rebounded by 12, committed 31 fouls and 21 TOs and still won. Columbia got 26 OREB!!!!

I still know CU has some very good talent and Butler is a very good X&O coach. I thought they would probably keep it to 25-30 but now we win. By +50

That is an embarrassing loss in hooterville. Had a 14 point lead against a team who is much shorter and less athletic. Columbia got out rebounded by 12, committed 31 fouls and 21 TOs and still won. Columbia got 26 OREB!!!!

I still know CU has some very good talent and Butler is a very good X&O coach. I thought they would probably keep it to 25-30 but now we win. By +50
Yeah, that was bad. So many of those offensive rebounds were long ones. They just out hustled the Tigers.

Vic Schaefer can coach D
No doubt. I was curious how Stanford would address the loss of Williams and their overall lack of athleticism at guard. Apparently, they are just doubling down on height. Jones is playing as a point forward.

Texas is doing a nice job of extending pressure. I expect we'll be doing the same.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
SEC going down in flames today. Arkansas, Florida, LSU, Auburn, Bama....all losing. Kentucky down at the half.

Reactions: gamecockblack
SEC going down in flames today. Arkansas, Florida, LSU, Auburn, Bama....all losing. Kentucky down at the half.
Ark. gets a pass, I mean it’s UCONN. The bottom of the SEC UF, Bama, Auburn are dreadful.
Mulkey is a great coach but that is a serious rebuild. Talent enough to make the tourney and maybe win one. 8 seniors. Bell for FGCU lit them up for 32, she is a top 10 national player. The shameful thing in that game is that slow 5’5” Kendall Spray who transferred out of tater town because she was gonna be buried on the bench scored 17.
The pundits love UK but they are over rated. Howard has a thin supporting cast. Smallish with no bench

Injury bug seems to be everywhere
Raven Johnson and her injury is only the tip of the iceberg for teams

Of course NCSU is withou Jada Boyd and Kayla Jones is still limited and still recovering from Achilles

Gabby Elliott taters best player last year has missed most of early season with a banged up ankle

Maryland two best players Owusu(ankle) and Miller(knee) are out and there is uncertainty about for how long

Rae Burrell UT her knee injury may be season ending. Marta Suarez who was all freshman SEC and projected to start is out for the season

Oregon currently has 3 starters out and is not sure of their status for the battle for Atlantis.
Starters Nayara Sybally knee, Ti-Hano Paopao ankle, Endiya Rodgers broken arm. Also top recruit Taylor Bigby has not played yet due to injury

And of course Satan’s spawn UCONN is injury free

With the #1 class coming in, everyone from last season returning, and now the addition of 5* 6'7 Cardoso, It's safe to say will be Staley's best and deepest team ever and could rival the Pat Summit teams. I don't see how anyone can beat us
We have a great team and cast but anyone can be beaten, that's why we play the games... Now Raven Johnson may be lost, was really looking forward to watching her develop this Season... May The Good LORD Bless and Keep her and a speedy recovery...

Reactions: Conway Gamecock

It doesn't surprise me too much. Ole Miss losing to Belmont kinda does, but Ole Miss is still a middle-of-the-pack conference team, whose future seems positive.

Most of the SEC teams that have losses thus far this season - Vanderbilt, Auburn, Florida, Missouri, Alabama - were the bottom 5 of the conference in the media's pre-season conference rankings. They are a combined 5-6 thus far. 2 of those wins are Missouri's, who hasn't played any tough opponents yet.

The rest of the top 9 are a combined 16-4 thus far. #7 LSU and #8 Ole Miss are a combined 2-2. SC, UT, TAMU, UK, UGA, Arky, and #9 Miss St. are a combined 14-2 thus far. Those 2 losses are UK's to Indiana, and Arky's to CT - both of those opponents are nationally top 10 and were favored in their games.

I would not call today's results as the SEC "going down in flames". Those bottom 5 or so teams were already expected to have struggling seasons this season, with new rosters, new staffs, or both. Teams like Ole Miss, LSU, and Miss St. have talent and/or promising futures, but as far as taking major steps forward THIS season, is a total mystery. They'll most likely get some quality wins, but could also get some embarrassing losses along the way as well.

The top 6 mentioned above will be the conference leaders who have a chance to reach into the NCAAT. This was already understood before the season began. ESPN's Charlie Creme has 9 SEC teams making the NCAAT, with pre-season #11 Missouri jumping past #10 Alabama and #9 Miss St. to get in as the "last four in", and #9 Miss St. being in the "first four out", and Alabama not given any consideration at all. USC is the only SEC #1 Seed, Kentucky is a #3 Seed, and both Tennessee and Texas A&M - the #2 and #3 pre-season media picks for the SEC - were both #5 Seeds. After them, Arkansas and LSU were #9 Seeds....

Reactions: gamecockblack
It doesn't surprise me too much. Ole Miss losing to Belmont kinda does, but Ole Miss is still a middle-of-the-pack conference team, whose future seems positive.

Most of the SEC teams that have losses thus far this season - Vanderbilt, Auburn, Florida, Missouri, Alabama - were the bottom 5 of the conference in the media's pre-season conference rankings. They are a combined 5-6 thus far. 2 of those wins are Missouri's, who hasn't played any tough opponents yet.

The rest of the top 9 are a combined 16-4 thus far. #7 LSU and #8 Ole Miss are a combined 2-2. SC, UT, TAMU, UK, UGA, Arky, and #9 Miss St. are a combined 14-2 thus far. Those 2 losses are UK's to Indiana, and Arky's to CT - both of those opponents are nationally top 10 and were favored in their games.

I would not call today's results as the SEC "going down in flames". Those bottom 5 or so teams were already expected to have struggling seasons this season, with new rosters, new staffs, or both. Teams like Ole Miss, LSU, and Miss St. have talent and/or promising futures, but as far as taking major steps forward THIS season, is a total mystery. They'll most likely get some quality wins, but could also get some embarrassing losses along the way as well.

The top 6 mentioned above will be the conference leaders who have a chance to reach into the NCAAT. This was already understood before the season began. ESPN's Charlie Creme has 9 SEC teams making the NCAAT, with pre-season #11 Missouri jumping past #10 Alabama and #9 Miss St. to get in as the "last four in", and #9 Miss St. being in the "first four out", and Alabama not given any consideration at all. USC is the only SEC #1 Seed, Kentucky is a #3 Seed, and both Tennessee and Texas A&M - the #2 and #3 pre-season media picks for the SEC - were both #5 Seeds. After them, Arkansas and LSU were #9 Seeds....
14-2, perhaps, but Carolina is the only team to beat guaranteed tourney teams. I believe UCF is predicated to finish 2nd in their conference. That was a good win for UT, especially without Burrell. Going to be a down year in the conference overall, but Dawn had scheduled tough OOC that it shouldn't affect Carolina.

14-2, perhaps, but Carolina is the only team to beat guaranteed tourney teams. I believe UCF is predicated to finish 2nd in their conference. That was a good win for UT, especially without Burrell. Going to be a down year in the conference overall, but Dawn had scheduled tough OOC that it shouldn't affect Carolina.
It’s an odd down year. We are clearly Queen of the hill. I also don’t think anyone else in the league is top 15. But we got 9 other teams in that 16-45 range. These teams are very good but all have a significant flaw or hole in their game and/or roster.

It also doesn’t help That UF, Bama, Auburn and Vandy are wretched

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT