ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2022 WBB Team

Stanford is a top 5 team BUT they don’t have a PG and they are a bit slow on the perimeter.
I was pretty shocked Stanford didn't use the portal to address their PG situation. Ana Wilson was exposed in the Final Four last year as a defender. She even struggles to bring the ball upcourt against quicker players. Thus, it was left mostly to Haley Jones to advance the ball yesterday. She looked absolutely gassed at the end of the game. She also struggled to defend on the perimeter.

That being said, they did miss a ton of open 3's. Something that probably won't happen mid-season and into the tournament. I know king ward has a hard time understanding this; but sometimes losing isn't a bad thing. Tara will use this to make Stanford a better team.

Last edited:
Clemson preview

I was shocked by their loss to Ivy League Columbia in their only game. Bodes very poorly for them. My question is do they show some spine and play tough or just quit early. The question is by how many do they lose. S Dak. (A projected 7 seed in the tourney) Fought us til the final buzzer and lost at home by 31. Taters show a lot of grit they can keep it to 30. They don’t and it is a 50 point ugly beat down.

They actually have some talent. Four guards capable of putting up 15 on any given night; Lewis, Washington, Elliott and Bradford. Plus top recruit Gaines. All are good scorers and shooters.

They have 3 “bigs” Hannah Hank who is 6’2” solid and strong, a little slow, and not much of a threat to score. Amari Robinson 6’0” but plays taller. Double digit scorer and competitive on the boards. Hard worker. Lastly, Latresse Saine who is 6’4” and comes off the bench. She is a graduate transfer SE Mizzou who was OVC DPOY in conference last year. Solid rebounder and shot blocker but has moved up a level competition wise and I don’t think she will give the impact they need. Freshman 6’3” Eno Inyang has gotten minutes but who knows.

We have a 10 game win streak with the avg margin being 26. Closest they got was a 13 point loss.

Stats that look really good, Opponent shooting 33% which is down from 37%. Three point D 19%!!!! These are championship numbers.
19-1 in blocked shots, rebounds +14.5 per game.
We have won all 8 quarters.

Only bad stat is turnovers grrr 34 in two games

We win by +40

They are really tight lipped. I imagine we will hear the day after surgery if she has to have it. I know with the soccer players that if it is an ACL tear, they will do a month of strenuous PRE-hab before surgery
So, she would be done for the season in that eventuality. Drat.

Clemson preview

I was shocked by their loss to Ivy League Columbia in their only game. Bodes very poorly for them. My question is do they show some spine and play tough or just quit early. The question is by how many do they lose. S Dak. (A projected 7 seed in the tourney) Fought us til the final buzzer and lost at home by 31. Taters show a lot of grit they can keep it to 30. They don’t and it is a 50 point ugly beat down.

They actually have some talent. Four guards capable of putting up 15 on any given night; Lewis, Washington, Elliott and Bradford. Plus top recruit Gaines. All are good scorers and shooters.

They have 3 “bigs” Hannah Hank who is 6’2” solid and strong, a little slow, and not much of a threat to score. Amari Robinson 6’0” but plays taller. Double digit scorer and competitive on the boards. Hard worker. Lastly, Latresse Saine who is 6’4” and comes off the bench. She is a graduate transfer SE Mizzou who was OVC DPOY in conference last year. Solid rebounder and shot blocker but has moved up a level competition wise and I don’t think she will give the impact they need. Freshman 6’3” Eno Inyang has gotten minutes but who knows.

We have a 10 game win streak with the avg margin being 26. Closest they got was a 13 point loss.

Stats that look really good, Opponent shooting 33% which is down from 37%. Three point D 19%!!!! These are championship numbers.
19-1 in blocked shots, rebounds +14.5 per game.
We have won all 8 quarters.

Only bad stat is turnovers grrr 34 in two games

We win by +40

We actually won 69-57 against them in the 2018-19 season - that was arguably the weakest team overall we've had under Coach Staley since the 2010-11 season: we did better in SEC play and against a tougher schedule that year, but the team chemistry was poor, especially in the first half of the season. It was a bit too "patchwork" of a team.

Wednesday's game is the official ".500 Game" for the series: South Carolina is currently 32-33 all-time against Clemson in the rivalry series. We're currently on a 10-game win streak as winloseortie stated above, and are 14-4 against the Tigers going back to the 2002-03 season. Three of the four losses to Clemson in that run were overtime games.

The last time South Carolina was .500 with Clemson in Women's Basketball was prior to the 1975-76 season, when the all-time series was 0-0. The Tigers opened up the series with 4 straight wins - the closest the Gamecocks got in the series was during the 1982-83 season, when the Gamecocks won 73-58 to pull the all-time series record to 9-10.

This included the 1980-81 season, in which the Gamecocks technically defeated the Tigers 86-67 under head coach Pam Parsons. That would have tied up the series 9-9 in the 1981-82 season, as the Gamecock won the game that season 99-91. But the first eight (8) wins of the 80-81 season were forfeited due to a transfer player - All-American Guard Frani Washington - having found to have academic descrepencies at her previous school Ohio State, and the win became officially a loss, making the series 10-8 in Clemson's favor. So the 81-82 season win got us to 9-10, and then the Tigers would run off six straight wins in the series to pull ahead again.

So with little fanfare to the history of the longtime rivalry, Wednesday's game is actually an all-time precedent-setting milestone game for the South Carolina Gamecocks......

We actually won 69-57 against them in the 2018-19 season - that was arguably the weakest team overall we've had under Coach Staley since the 2010-11 season: we did better in SEC play and against a tougher schedule that year, but the team chemistry was poor, especially in the first half of the season. It was a bit too "patchwork" of a team.

Wednesday's game is the official ".500 Game" for the series: South Carolina is currently 32-33 all-time against Clemson in the rivalry series. We're currently on a 10-game win streak as winloseortie stated above, and are 14-4 against the Tigers going back to the 2002-03 season. Three of the four losses to Clemson in that run were overtime games.

The last time South Carolina was .500 with Clemson in Women's Basketball was prior to the 1975-76 season, when the all-time series was 0-0. The Tigers opened up the series with 4 straight wins - the closest the Gamecocks got in the series was during the 1982-83 season, when the Gamecocks won 73-58 to pull the all-time series record to 9-10.

This included the 1980-81 season, in which the Gamecocks technically defeated the Tigers 86-67 under head coach Pam Parsons. That would have tied up the series 9-9 in the 1981-82 season, as the Gamecock won the game that season 99-91. But the first eight (8) wins of the 80-81 season were forfeited due to a transfer player - All-American Guard Frani Washington - having found to have academic descrepencies at her previous school Ohio State, and the win became officially a loss, making the series 10-8 in Clemson's favor. So the 81-82 season win got us to 9-10, and then the Tigers would run off six straight wins in the series to pull ahead again.

So with little fanfare to the history of the longtime rivalry, Wednesday's game is actually an all-time precedent-setting milestone game for the South Carolina Gamecocks......
That's a pretty good recap right there, I was sitting here thinking that the modern history of our rivalry with them in WBB is just the reverse of our experience with them in football. Only that hurts the fans of the team on the wrong end a lot worse.

I feel bad for Raven. Wish her a speedy recovery.

As for the team, adversity is not a bad thing. This team, especially, needs it. There are so talent, it can be too easy at times.

I remember back after the loss to Stanford Enya Russell's tweeted, "peace out" or something like that. Dawn obviously squelched that noise. And now Russell has a chance to step up and play more minutes this season.

I feel bad for Raven. Wish her a speedy recovery.

As for the team, adversity is not a bad thing. This team, especially, needs it. There are so talent, it can be too easy at times.

I remember back after the loss to Stanford Enya Russell's tweeted, "peace out" or something like that. Dawn obviously squelched that noise. And now Russell has a chance to step up and play more minutes this season.
Yeah this is a golden opportunity for Russell and a couple of other guards to gain some minutes. Much like the pressure of losing Lele opened the door for Amihere during the tournament this could have a similar impact this season. I guess this Clemson game will give us a glimpse of who they will experiment with as a backup PG.

Yeah this is a golden opportunity for Russell and a couple of other guards to gain some minutes. Much like the pressure of losing Lele opened the door for Amihere during the tournament this could have a similar impact this season. I guess this Clemson game will give us a glimpse of who they will experiment with as a backup PG.
My guess is Littleton. She's solid and takes care of the ball. When Destanni got two fouls against NC State, Dawn went with Littleton over Johnson. Could use Zia at point as well. Russell and Rivers as backup off guards. Lele will be another additional big wing player when she returns.

If Dawn is looking to cut Destanni's minutes this season, the best way is to play Boston, Amihere and Cardoso more minutes. We could build bigger leads and thus allowing Destanni to rest more, IMO.

My guess is Littleton. She's solid and takes care of the ball. When Destanni got two fouls against NC State, Dawn went with Littleton over Johnson. Could use Zia at point as well. Russell and Rivers as backup off guards. Lele will be another additional big wing player when she returns.

If Dawn is looking to cut Destanni's minutes this season, the best way is to play Boston, Amihere and Cardoso more minutes. We could build bigger leads and thus allowing Destanni to rest more, IMO.
I totally forget about Hall as a backup wing! She hit two 3 pointers against South Dakota. There are so many quality players on this team it's easy to forget one.

It will be interesting to see, that's one benefit of having the amount of talent we have on this team. I'm just hoping we can use this loss as fuel for the team and Johnson can come back better than ever next season.

Reactions: DarkCock
It will be interesting to see, that's one benefit of having the amount of talent we have on this team. I'm just hoping we can use this loss as fuel for the team and Johnson can come back better than ever next season.
I don't think her loss will be felt much this season, assuming Destanni and Zia stay healthy. **knock on wood** It would have been nice for her to have some experience under her belt going into next season when she'll presumably be the starting point guard.

I don't think her loss will be felt much this season, assuming Destanni and Zia stay healthy. **knock on wood** It would have been nice for her to have some experience under her belt going into next season when she'll presumably be the starting point guard.
DS has not had a PG that has fully understood the position until their junior year

Agreed, I'm sorry for her but, its not like it was starting PG or another starter going down. Right now concern should be about what she will look like after such an injury.

But, this injury should still help her though - spend time with the play book.

Littleton is stable as a ack up PG

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkCock
A little Off topic but just read on Volnation that Loyal McQueen has entered the transfer portal. She has been a starter for Georgia Tech in all three games this season. Wonder where she will end up?

DS has not had a PG that has fully understood the position until their junior year
I wonder if she'll consider taking a senior/graduate point guard from the portal next season as a backup. We have a scholarship. Obviously she wouldn't want a player with several years left to play, considering all the high school point guard she's recruiting.

I think ALL freshmen this season weren't exactly looked to to provide team-leading contributions. If they provided it just the same that would've been great, but mostly they were expected to provide quality depth, to give the veteran starters more opportunities for rest to stay fresher, while not having the overall offensive and defensive execution drop off the proverbial cliff. And also to gain needed playing experience for them for 2022-23, when several of them would THEN be expected to step forward and start leading.

So the loss of Raven for this season is unfortunate, without being team-impacting in a huge way. It stunts her development for when she will be expected to lead the team at the Point after Henny graduates after this season. She'll be starting next season off of a major injury, and with little game experience at the collegiate level. That will be a tough transition for her, and for the Gamecocks.

As for the rest of this season, guess who had the BEST assist:turnover ratio on the team last season? Yep, Destiny Littleton had 21 assists and only 10 turnovers in limited minutes (averaged about 12 minutes a game). She's among the most experienced and veteran of the players on the roster. She also appears to be fully healed from her foot surgeries, and has gotten herself into great playing shape. In only two games, she's moved around on the floor quickly and sharply, and has shown an initiative in shooting the ball that can only come from having great confidence in where her game is right now.

She has averaged 6.0 ppg and 3.0 rpg thus far in the two games - which is good for 5th in team scoring right now. So she will be an option for us.....

I wonder if she'll consider taking a senior/graduate point guard from the portal next season as a backup. We have a scholarship. Obviously she wouldn't want a player with several years left to play, considering all the high school point guard she's recruiting.
I doubt it. Russell and Cooper have been recruited as PGs. Not sure that means anything.
I just don’t think you risk messing up the chemistry and progression for a one year deal.
HOWEVER if USC Alum/Dayton senior Araion Bradshaw could figure out how to get a seventh year........

I doubt it. Russell and Cooper have been recruited as PGs. Not sure that means anything.
I just don’t think you risk messing up the chemistry and progression for a one year deal.
HOWEVER if USC Alum/Dayton grad Araion Bradshaw could figure out how to get a seventh year........
Ha! Didn’t she burn her bridge by saying some unkind things about us after she left? I vaguely remember some things being said when we played Dayton.

I think ALL freshmen this season weren't exactly looked to to provide team-leading contributions. If they provided it just the same that would've been great, but mostly they were expected to provide quality depth, to give the veteran starters more opportunities for rest to stay fresher, while not having the overall offensive and defensive execution drop off the proverbial cliff. And also to gain needed playing experience for them for 2022-23, when several of them would THEN be expected to step forward and start leading.

So the loss of Raven for this season is unfortunate, without being team-impacting in a huge way. It stunts her development for when she will be expected to lead the team at the Point after Henny graduates after this season. She'll be starting next season off of a major injury, and with little game experience at the collegiate level. That will be a tough transition for her, and for the Gamecocks.

As for the rest of this season, guess who had the BEST assist:turnover ratio on the team last season? Yep, Destiny Littleton had 21 assists and only 10 turnovers in limited minutes (averaged about 12 minutes a game). She's among the most experienced and veteran of the players on the roster. She also appears to be fully healed from her foot surgeries, and has gotten herself into great playing shape. In only two games, she's moved around on the floor quickly and sharply, and has shown an initiative in shooting the ball that can only come from having great confidence in where her game is right now.

She has averaged 6.0 ppg and 3.0 rpg thus far in the two games - which is good for 5th in team scoring right now. So she will be an option for us.....
I agree about LIttleton, that's why I was bit surprised by coach's comment in the above video. She said she would use Zia for sure but a bit hesitant to use Littleton because coach likes her to shoot. The only other viable option is Eniya Russell, who was a point guard in high school. Watching the minutes Russell played at the end of the South Dakota game, I thought she look pretty good. She made some nice passes and should have had more assists if the bench players could had finished. There will obviously be plenty of minutes in blowouts this season to experiment before tourney time arrives.

Last edited:
Ha! Didn’t she burn her bridge by saying some unkind things about us after she left? I vaguely remember some things being said when we played Dayton.
No, that was Haley Troup who left at about the same time to go to Mizzou. Bradshaw was a real get but DS brought in Ty very late and she was just better.
Bradshaw transfered is 3x all defensive team and one time DPOY, will leave having the best assist to turnover ration in Dayton history, serves on an NCAA committee, has started her own nonprofit and will leave Dayton with an degree in engineering and TWO masters degrees. Araion is who you want your daughter to grow up to be.

Last edited:
No, that was Haley Troup who left at about the same time to go to Mizzou. Bradshaw was a real get but DS brought in Ty very late and she was just better.
Bradshaw transfered is 3x all defensive team and one time DPOY, will leave having the best assist to turnover ration in Dayton history, serves on an NCAA committee, has started her own nonprofit and will leave Dayton with an degree in engineering and TWO masters degrees. Araion is who you want your daughter to grow up to be.
Oh I remember what Haley did. Bradshaw commented when she played us that she had been sent her national championship ring but had never taken it out of the box.

Just saw an Instagram post of LeLe knocking out 5 pull-ups with a 25 pound weight chained to her waist. Y’all try that. She obviously turned her adversity into opportunity by getting crazy strong. She will be a beast when she returns. So will Raven.

Just saw an Instagram post of LeLe knocking out 5 pull-ups with a 25 pound weight chained to her waist. Y’all try that. She obviously turned her adversity into opportunity by getting crazy strong. She will be a beast when she returns. So will Raven.
Can't wait to get her energy back. It would be great to have Lele for even limited minutes against Stanford. Just another tough defender to throw at Haley Jones in addition to Brea and Amihere.

Can't wait to get her energy back. It would be great to have Lele for even limited minutes against Stanford. Just another tough defender to throw at Haley Jones in addition to Brea and Amihere.
I would love to see her back by Stanford. She is a +defender and she actually was our backup PG last year. I think January or Feb. is more realistic but🤞🤞🤞

I noticed Bueckers played 40 minutes against Arkansas, Westbrook 38, Williams 36. Was fatigue a factor in giving up so many points?

Both Carolina and UCONN will play 3 games in 3 days. It will be interesting to see how much energy both team need to expend to get to the finals (assuming they both get there). Not sure how much of a contest South Florida could give UCONN. They were ranked 25th before they lost to UT.

Reactions: gamecockblack
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT