ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2022 WBB Team

I watched the replay. They seem to have unnecessary turnovers and still missing some up close shots. The main concern is the man up defense allows players to drive to the basket and make easy lay ups. UCONN will take advantage of this. Good luck to the ladies and I hope they play their best game of the year.

After watching the game yesterday, it seems clear to me that Zia is the best option at backup point guard. When either Henney or Zia are on the court without the other, Dawn has the following options at the wings: Beal, Littleton, Hall, Rivers, Russell, even LA. Add Lele soon, hopefully. A lot of options, depending on the matchup. In some ways it make us better defensively since both Zia and Henney are small guards.

Reactions: gamecockblack
I watched the replay. They seem to have unnecessary turnovers and still missing some up close shots. The main concern is the man up defense allows players to drive to the basket and make easy lay ups. UCONN will take advantage of this. Good luck to the ladies and I hope they play their best game of the year.
I think the point is to drive the shooter off the 3pt line and into the lane. We lead the nation in blocked shots. We're going to give up some layups; we can't shut anyone out. Well, maybe for a quarter we can.

• Haha
Reactions: gamecockblack
KK Arnold makes her announcement today as well today at around 2:30pm . I think I saw se believe she might choose ND but we're one her finalist. Honestly she couldn't pick a worse day announce considering how the tournament ended up.

I really hope our guards will get to shine along with our post players today. The general consensus from many of the WBB fans is that their guards is a league above ours and I just don't see that. This is a good opportunity to change some narratives.
That point guard they have is legit, no matter what happens today. She's a generational player - looks like.

In the other thread someone mentioned that Cardoso won't be a starter, why the heck would she not be our starting center? 6'7 paint beast, go back and watch the Syracuse/UConn NCAA tournament game, she had several blocks. Move Boston to the 4 which is her natural position anyway. Then rotate Amihere, Feagin, Saxton off the bench. Nobody UConn has in the post can match up with Boston/Cardoso.
Boston today had 22 points and 15 rebounds, care to comment about who ought to be starting at Center?

Boston today had 22 points and 15 rebounds, care to comment about who ought to be starting at Center?
Geez, the guy merely gave his opinion with a question. Basketball is a game of matchups, and as such, coaches will tailor their game personnel depending on the situation. What works in one game may not work in another — I get what he was asking. I don’t understand why people criticize others for their opinion on an Opinion board. Why does every want to fight when someone else offers their thoughts?

Reactions: atl-cock
Geez, the guy merely gave his opinion with a question. Basketball is a game of matchups, and as such, coaches will tailor their game personnel depending on the situation. What works in one game may not work in another — I get what he was asking. I don’t understand why people criticize others for their opinion on an Opinion board. Why does every want to fight when someone else offers their thoughts?
I have a long memory, it’s a personality defect, I work on it. I was not rude, smart ass? Maybe. I just asked if he wanted to revise his opinion.

Several posters insisted that Boston was playing out of position and that Cardoso was better. When it was pointed out that Boston was already a 2X center of the year award winner, 1st team all American and 1st team all defensive they poohed poohed it.
Cardoso is great, she will play in the WNBA and probably be a star BUT Boston is the flat out honest TRUTH

Reactions: USCRBCOCK
Whoa my brother/sister:

UConn has everything important coming back. They also picked up a transfer back-up at post.

Many services rank their incoming class #1 ahead of us.

They already have two top-5 ranked prospects committed for the 2022 class to our zero commits.

UConn is the gold standard in wbb not Pat Summit's teams.

Both of us need to worry about Stanford and getting past the Final Four.
I guess you were mistaken? Looks like the OP knew more about each roster. SC is the new standard in WBB!

I have a long memory, it’s a personality defect, I work on it. I was not rude, smart ass? Maybe. I just asked if he wanted to revise his opinion.

Several posters insisted that Boston was playing out of position and that Cardoso was better. When it was pointed out that Boston was already a 2X center of the year award winner, 1st team all American and 1st team all defensive they poohed poohed it.
Cardoso is great, she will play in the WNBA and probably be a star BUT Boston is the flat out honest TRUTH
Through six games, I think we can say that the team is better when Cardoso and Boston are not on the court at the same time. Cardoso had some nice minutes in the 2nd half without Boston on the court. And, of course, Boston was Boston. I'm sure we'll seem together again at some point, but I can't imagine Dawn deviating much from what we saw working today.

I guess you were mistaken? Looks like the OP knew more about each roster. SC is the new standard in WBB!
Sgacock was just pointing there are teams who can beat us and those teams will not roll over and crown us.
We have had three GREAT wins but there are three teams that could beat us still in noncon.
In fact NCSU would be a tough rematch with Boyd and Jones healthy as would Ore. with starters Sabally, Pao-Pao and Rodgers back as well as their top sub Bigsby. We don’t bring our A game and UMD, Stanford or UCONN can bite us.
I believe and have always believed we are the best team in the country this year(and last year) but we are not invincible and never underestimate our opponents especially those that have defeated us

I still want to hear a logical reason for this. It seems like they was expecting us to lose and couldn't wait a week to change it.
An example of an illogical reason would be those fans with a chip on their shoulder and an attitude that the world is out to "get" USC. Were that the case, USC would not have been able to run out the clock in W-B last Saturday night.

A logical reason is that the AP didn't want to look stupid in case #1 (whoever #1 is at the time) did lose.

Last edited:
I still want to hear a logical reason for this. It seems like they was expecting us to lose and couldn't wait a week to change it.
1. Builds excitement and buzz for the game.... the battle for #1
2. CYA for the voters
Voting late always favors whoever is #2. It penalizes #1

KK Arnold makes her announcement today as well today at around 2:30pm . I think I saw se believe she might choose ND but we're one her finalist. Honestly she couldn't pick a worse day announce considering how the tournament ended up.
Welp KK Arnold has chosen UConn in a surprise twist, I thought she was ND bound. Perhaps we'll get a Fulwiley to balance this out.

Reactions: winloseortie
1. Builds excitement and buzz for the game.... the battle for #1
2. CYA for the voters
Voting late always favors whoever is #2. It penalizes #1
I would understand if it was consistent but they never do this. I do wonder if the tables were flipped if they would do this with UConn.

Reactions: DarkCock
I would understand if it was consistent but they never do this. I do wonder if the tables were flipped if they would do this with UConn.
UCONN doesn't even play again until Dec 2nd, so it's not like it would have affected the hype for their next game. They would have been #1 the next time they played. But I'll give the AP the benefit of the doubt: not many 1 versus 2 games are played on Monday at noon.

I hope you are right come Tournament time.

On Sunday, they played a tough and physical team. We played a crippled Oregon team that had three starters out. Their top 9 players played that entire game on Sunday. By contrast, everybody on our roster played against Oregon and our starters rested in the 4th.

We destroyed them in the 4th quarter. Reason or coincidence? I think we will have the clear advantage at home in January. But what matters is March - if we meet again.

Last edited:
An example of an illogical reason would be those fans with a chip on their shoulder and an attitude that the world is out to "get" USC. Were that the case, USC would not have been able to run out the clock in W-B last Saturday night.

A logical reason is that the AP didn't want to look stupid in case #1 (whoever #1 is at the time) did lose.
Not a good analogy, imo. That “call” was payback for 500 that have gone against us…..AND probably more importantly, payback for the game a much-worse call WON for AU earlier this year. And there’s no guarantee it would have mattered. Go Cocks!

How would they look stupid, they do it all the time and the list was going to be 1 and 2 between the two teams anyway. The top teams have been playing each other on Mondays for years now ESPN, including most of our home and home games with UConn.

I noticed Bueckers played 40 minutes against Arkansas, Westbrook 38, Williams 36. Was fatigue a factor in giving up so many points?

Both Carolina and UCONN will play 3 games in 3 days. It will be interesting to see how much energy both team need to expend to get to the finals (assuming they both get there). Not sure how much of a contest South Florida could give UCONN. They were ranked 25th before they lost to UT.
Shout out to South Florida for forcing UCONN's starters to play deep into the 4th of their game. I think it made a difference in our game.

How would they look stupid, they do it all the time and the list was going to be 1 and 2 between the two teams anyway. The top teams have been playing each other on Mondays for years now ESPN, including most of our home and home games with UConn.
Maybe the AP should start putting out their poll on Tuesday.

Monday afternoons? Delaying the poll release by a couple of hours may be different than delaying it by 12.

Sgacock was just pointing there are teams who can beat us and those teams will not roll over and crown us.
We have had three GREAT wins but there are three teams that could beat us still in noncon.
In fact NCSU would be a tough rematch with Boyd and Jones healthy as would Ore. with starters Sabally, Pao-Pao and Rodgers back as well as their top sub Bigsby. We don’t bring our A game and UMD, Stanford or UCONN can bite us.
I believe and have always believed we are the best team in the country this year(and last year) but we are not invincible and never underestimate our opponents especially those that have defeated us
I would say at the eoy we will have had the best team in the nation three years running. We got that #1 banner hanging in the rafters at CLA and basically got flat rooked last year with officiating against Stanford. It’s ON at USC in WBB.

Reactions: winloseortie
UConn is still #2 and when we play them on Jan 27 I don't see them jumping off to a big lead. Playing at CLA is a huge advantage as the players thrive off the energy of our home crowd.

Our next big test will be #3 Maryland at CLA on Dec 12.

I hope you are right come Tournament time.

On Sunday, they played a tough and physical team. We played a crippled Oregon team that had three starters out. Their top 9 players played that entire game on Sunday. By contrast, everybody on our roster played against Oregon and our starters rested in the 4th.

We destroyed them in the 4th quarter. Reason or coincidence? I think we will have the clear advantage at home in January. But what matters is March - if we meet again.
We won with the set of circumstances we were handed. On paper it looked like we had the tougher draw. We had a shorter turn around plus 2 of our top players were on the bench in early foul trouble. Will UCONN improve and learn from their mistakes? Of course but so will we. We held them to 3 points in the 4th Q. That's relentless.

We won with the set of circumstances we were handed. On paper it looked like we had the tougher draw. We had a shorter turn around plus 2 of our top players were on the bench in early foul trouble. Will UCONN improve and learn from their mistakes? Of course but so will we. We held them to 3 points in the 4th Q. That's relentless.
Oh I agree. The 4th quarter was pure domination. Let’s hope we can do it again - in January and March if the latter comes to pass.

Massey gives USC a 100% chance of winning our next two games against Elon and NC A&T. So what would you like to see in those games?

For me:

* More Saniya Rivers. She's still trying to figure out her role on the team. We could use a good medium range shooter.

* Sania Feagin playing with the regular rotation once in a while. Boston doesn't need many minutes in the next two games. Let's see what Feagin can do. Coach is using her primarily as a back to the basketball player as far as I can tell. But she's usually on the court with Wesolek, so it's difficult to make any assessment.

* Thompson raining 3's. She's a junior now. If it's ever going to happen for her, it needs to start happening.

Reactions: vacock#
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT