ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2022 WBB Team

Some thoughts about last night after looking at the advanced stats:

- Amihere and Bree Hall played the entire 2nd quarter and Clemson didn't make a field goal! I hope the coaching staff takes note of that for future lineups. Hall was 0-6 from the field, but her defense was outstanding and she had 6 rebounds, 4 on the offensive glass. She's a very active player, chasing down a lot of loose balls. Her shots are going to fall; she just needs to keep shooting.

- Eniya Russell played the entire 4th quarter, mostly at point, and Carolina was +9. She has proven in her career that she has no problem getting in the lane. Unfortunately, once she gets there her decision making has been suspect. It was much better last night. She made an outstanding defensive play, blocking a shot in transition, and one bad play, leaving Elliot open for a 3. I think Zia will be the backup PG against UCONN and Stanford, but there are a lot of games between now and the tournament to get Russell some more looks at PG.

- Carolina won by 31 but Clemson played Carolina even when Cardoso was in the game. Coach is still searching for a way to use her most effectively.

Let’s get real, does it matter who plays against Buffalo?
Right. I think you're agreeing with me. No better time to give her some minutes to find out if she can help us in the next two games.

I wouldn't overlook Buffalo, they are usually a well coached team and we played them a few years ago in the sweet 16. While I don't expect any problems, but if we start playing flat like how we started with Clemson this could put us in an unnecessary competitive game. Our goal should be to go out hard and sustain a lead as early as possible to rest players because each game in the tournament will get progressively harder with no rest days.

I wouldn't overlook Buffalo, they are usually a well coached team and we played them a few years ago in the sweet 16. While I don't expect any problems, but if we start playing flat like how we started with Clemson this could put us in an unnecessary competitive game. Our goal should be to go out hard and sustain a lead as early as possible to rest players because each game in the tournament will get progressively harder with no rest days.
I agree about the need to start better. Two years ago, the team was like Mike Tyson: they delivered a knock out in the 1st quarter. Last night, the starting unit looked much better at the beginning of the 2nd half. Mainly because they showed a commitment to getting the ball into Boston. We need to start to doing that from the get. If that fells, then maybe consider putting Amihere in the starting lineup.

btw, has anyone looked into what a FloHoops subscription costs? I've seen as much as $30.

I agree about the need to start better. Two years ago, the team was like Mike Tyson: they delivered a knock out in the 1st quarter. Last night, the starting unit looked much better at the beginning of the 2nd half. Mainly because they showed a commitment to getting the ball into Boston. We need to start to doing that from the get. If that fells, then maybe consider putting Amihere in the starting lineup.

btw, has anyone looked into what a FloHoops subscription costs? I've seen as much as $30.

32.09 with tax. This is for monthly so you'll have to cancel and can do so at anytime. The other offer that says 12.99 is if you subscribe for a year.

https://www.flohoops.com/events/6943988-2021-battle-4-atlantis-womens-tournament

Reactions: DarkCock

32.09 with tax. This is for monthly so you'll have to cancel and can do so at anytime. The other offer that says 12.99 is if you subscribe for a year.

https://www.flohoops.com/events/6943988-2021-battle-4-atlantis-womens-tournament
It appears they have a discount with a UConn link for 12.50 a month so it may be a good alternative.

Just saw an Instagram post of LeLe knocking out 5 pull-ups with a 25 pound weight chained to her waist. Y’all try that. She obviously turned her adversity into opportunity by getting crazy strong. She will be a beast when she returns. So will Raven.
I wonder if she can play offensive line. She’s probably stronger than our current OL starters.

Why can't we have a WBB forum instead of just this thread? Even Vandy... yes Vandy... has a dedicated WBB forum. I've had an Insider's membership for many years but don't intend to reup until a dedicated WBB forum is added.
I would settle for a forum dedicated to football and one for the rest of Gamecock sports. Let the miserable bellyachers have a pity party in a forum exclusively devoted to them.

Why can't we have a WBB forum instead of just this thread? Even Vandy... yes Vandy... has a dedicated WBB forum. I've had an Insider's membership for many years but don't intend to reup until a dedicated WBB forum is added.
I agree. I used to love cockytalk. There were several very good WBB posters there. They're here as well but it would be great to have a dedicated forum. They are the bright spot of our sports program and ranked #1 in the nation. I go to other schools forum to read about us. Shameful.

I spend more time on the UConn's boneyard forum than I do here so I can talk wbb.

Now, if we didn't have so many football whiners here . . .
It's shameful that there isn't a Gamecock wbb forum that's equivalent to Volnation's. It seems like a great opportunity for Gamecock Central. Buy, hey, it's not my website. It's their choice.

lol yep. Y'all can find me posting on the boneyard a few times per week talking about my Gamecocks....but on FGF....not so much.
The “General” board on boneyard is the best “national board” for wbb. Sure, they have some UConn posters who troll us but you gotta expect that. Hope we Dawn gets us to the big early season matchup tomorrow.

but fir now, beat da’ Ducks!

BTW, I am “Visitingcock” over there.

The “General” board on boneyard is the best “national board” for wbb. Sure, they have some UConn posters who troll us but you gotta expect that. Hope we Dawn gets us to the big early season matchup tomorrow.

I see you posting over there! 👀 lol I'm the same name on both forums -- repping the fams!

I'm surprised that allowed your user name. The name I chose also had "cock" in it and was rejected.

• Haha
Reactions: gamecockblack
South Florida giving Connecticut all they can handle - the Huskies lead only 36-32 under the 8-minute mark of the 3rd quarter.....

Reactions: Gamekem
South Florida giving Connecticut all they can handle - the Huskies lead only 36-32 under the 8-minute mark of the 3rd quarter.....
I really not a fan of the female commentator, she excuses all the mistakes of the team as it being a young team but its hard to take her seriously when 3 of their starters are seniors and one of their key rotational players is a grad student.

UConn and USF go into the 4th tied at 45 thanks to a real circus shot of a 3 from Bueckers. I have to give her props for always finding a way at the biggest moments

A really solid 1st quarter up 27-14. Good to see Beal score early. So much height on both teams, I have to imagine we're looking at 15 potential
professional players both in the WNBA and internationally vid they choose.

Strong 80-63 win over Oregon. Oregon was missing 2 key players for the game, but still had great height in a 6-7 and a 6-8 player. Coach Staley emptied her bench just over 4 minutes left in the game with the Gamecocks leading 78-49, and Oregon left 3 of their starters in the game to the end, and went off on a 14-4 run to pull closer. But it was a solid performance all around.

Cooke led the Gamecocks with 20 pts and 5 assists, and Amihere scored a career high of 18 pts with 7 rebounds, and 2 steals. Boston added 16 pts, 8 rebounds, and 2 blocks.

Now bring on Connecticut.....

Strong 80-63 win over Oregon. Oregon was missing 2 key players for the game, but still had great height in a 6-7 and a 6-8 player. Coach Staley emptied her bench just over 4 minutes left in the game with the Gamecocks leading 78-49, and Oregon left 3 of their starters in the game to the end, and went off on a 14-4 run to pull closer. But it was a solid performance all around.

Cooke led the Gamecocks with 20 pts and 5 assists, and Amihere scored a career high of 18 pts with 7 rebounds, and 2 steals. Boston added 16 pts, 8 rebounds, and 2 blocks.

Now bring on Connecticut.....
Good win but a bit misleading..... Oregon played without Three starters. BUT yes bring on UCONN

The team is looking good. My only concern is that even though we've blown out the last 3 opponents, we are just even when Cardoso is on the court. I'm sure, with time, Dawn will figure out how best to use her. I just don't know about tomorrow. UCONN has the potential to go on a 3 point shooting spree. We can't afford bad minutes from anyone.

I expect to see Hall on Bueckers some tomorrow. Hall is a the tall perimeter defender we've been lacking. Even if Hall struggles tomorrow, the point is to get her ready for when it really matters.

The team is looking good. My only concern is that even though we've blown out the last 3 opponents, we are just even when Cardoso is on the court. I'm sure, with time, Dawn will figure out how best to use her. I just don't know about tomorrow. UCONN has the potential to go on a 3 point shooting spree. We can't afford bad minutes from anyone.

I expect to see Hall on Bueckers some tomorrow. Hall is a the tall perimeter defender we've been lacking. Even if Hall struggles tomorrow, the point is to get her ready for when it really matters.
I think Cardoso is a work in progress. I see her more as a glorified Freshman this early in the season. If she can prevent herself from falling for our opponents pump fakes as easily as she does and embrace the contact as she attempts to shoot in a crowded post, she could be a real force to deal with.

Good win yesterday but they were down three starters. Sabally had 31&11 vs Okla. They play UCONN in Jan. They could be a vastly different team for that game and PAC 12 play

We also had a streak broken. We had won 19 straight quarters until we cleared the bench and lost the 4th quarter by 2 points

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT