ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2022 WBB Team

Yep, past Battle 4 Atlantis tournaments had championship games, but they were men's tournaments. They all played final championship games, and when the women's first tournament was announced, all reports were that they would have the exact same format.

But the first tournament for women's BB was last season, and that was cancelled due to the pandemic. For this coming season, I had thought they would continue the original format with championship games being played, but others were saying that since USC and CT were already scheduled to play in the reg. season, that they somehow couldn't face each other in the tournament, so it was kinda confusing to me how the format would be.

Now that I see this bracket everything is back to being clear to me. Whoever reaches the championship game will play each other for the tournament title on November 22nd in Game #9....

There HAVE been "holiday" season tournaments in the past however, where there are NO championship games played.

Sort of missed this.... we will be playing S Dak nov 12 there, as a part of a double header. L’ville vs Arizona is the other game.

OOC Looks like this right now IF I am correct. Six games to add including SEC-Big 12 challenge (if that is still on)

@NCSU #8
@S Dak. #25
@Taters

Neutral court (projected for tournament play)
Buffalo
Oregon #10
UCONN #1
IF IT IS ROUND ROBIN
Buffalo
Oregon
Oklahoma

Home
UCONN#1
Maryland #5

We may owe Duke a game, which would be there. Buffalo is the only total cupcake. Taters will lose by 20-30 to us but they have a much more talented squad than last year. They get a little bench help and a few breaks they could be on the bubble.

Last edited:
Whoa my brother/sister:

UConn has everything important coming back. They also picked up a transfer back-up at post.

Many services rank their incoming class #1 ahead of us.

They already have two top-5 ranked prospects committed for the 2022 class to our zero commits.

UConn is the gold standard in wbb not Pat Summit's teams.

Both of us need to worry about Stanford and getting past the Final Four.
Geno......is that you?

Sort of missed this.... we will be playing S Dak nov 12 there, as a part of a double header. L’ville vs Arizona is the other game.

OOC Looks like this right now IF I am correct. Seven games to add including SEC-Big 12 challenge (if that is still on)

@NCSU #8
@S Dak. #25
@Taters

Buffalo
Oregon #10
UCONN #1
IF IT IS ROUND ROBIN
Buffalo
Oregon
Oklahoma

Home
UCONN#1

We may owe Duke a game, which would be there. Buffalo is the only total cupcake. Taters will lose by 20-30 to us but they have a much more talented squad than last year. They get a little bench help and a few breaks they could be on the bubble.

Duke owes US a game. We already played the home and home at CLA - we were going to play the other half in Durham 2 years ago, but they had a real bad winter storm in NC at the time, and the game was cancelled by them. So they owe us a game at their house.

Maryland owes us a game at home, that was cancelled due to the pandemic last season. I consider when home and homes are scheduled, and we go there to their place in the 1st game, but the 2nd game at our place was cancelled, or a game at either place was cancelled by THEM for some reason, that it's THEM that owes us......

Duke owes US a game. We already played the home and home at CLA - we were going to play the other half in Durham 2 years ago, but they had a real bad winter storm in NC at the time, and the game was cancelled by them. So they owe us a game at their house.

Maryland owes us a game at home, that was cancelled due to the pandemic last season. I consider when home and homes are scheduled, and we go there to their place in the 1st game, but the 2nd game at our place was cancelled, or a game at either place was cancelled by THEM for some reason, that it's THEM that owes us......
My aren’t we in a mood. Duke May have cancelled due to legitimate weather, but please, the airport was shut and we could not get to Durham. We owe them a trip to Durham.

As UMD owes us a trip. Will these games get fulfilled this season or further out?
I am also assuming we go to tater town because they were supposed to host last year. But maybe they just keep the rotation in order.

Geno......is that you?
Nope. A reasonable minded Gamecock who evaluates while not drinking garnet koolaid. We have the potential to be a great team with all our horses back. So does UConn. So does Stanford.

More recruiting services rank UConn 2021 class number one than us. So, we BOTH have great incoming classes. Stanford's incoming class is smaller but excellent too.

I love our team, but it's a three-team race and another team will be in the running too. Probably NC State. They have a lot coming back and a heckofa transfer class coming in. Never discount Maryland. Baylor is probably not a big consideration.

It's all on paper. We'll see what happens when it gets on WOOD.

Reactions: winloseortie
Maryland added to schedule in Jimmy V Classic. Home game Dec. 12.
Only 6 games left. We owe Duke at their place. Also Big 12 challenge, if it happens and we are included. In rotation it would be a home game. Teams that make sense: Baylor, UT, and Iowa State.

So four games. How large will DS go? Already toughest schedule in the country.
Another ACC Home and home would be nice: FSU, Va. Tech, or Ga. Tech would fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkCock

Feagin with her best game yet in the tournament so far. In one play she grabbed the defensive rebound and took it all the way to the hoop. Hoping to see more of her midrange game at some point though.

Feagin with her best game yet in the tournament so far. In one play she grabbed the defensive rebound and took it all the way to the hoop. Hoping to see more of her midrange game at some point though.
Yea, I watched the game, she is a prototypical WNBA stretch 4. Her film shows midrange to 3pt capability. No big is shooting anything over 5 ft in this tourney.
She rebounds, runs the floor, and defends the perimeter. I still think Amihere is a better athlete but she is a much better basketball player than Amihere was as a freshman.

This next year the 4 will remind us of when Elem Ibiam started at Center and averaged almost a double double. And then we substituted Coates AND then we brought in Wilson.

Gary Blair said that year, “The good news is there are only 3 true post players in the SEC, but they all play at South Carolina.”

With the #1 class coming in, everyone from last season returning, and now the addition of 5* 6'7 Cardoso, It's safe to say will be Staley's best and deepest team ever and could rival the Pat Summit teams. I don't see how anyone can beat us
UCONN also returns their entire team and while we recruited the #2,3 and 5 players they got the #1 and 4. The #1(Azzi Fudd) is another of those generational types, like they have with Paige Beukers. It will likely come down to them, Stanford and USC.

Great assessment. Our weaknesses last year were very few,
•our forwards could not generate offense consistently outside of putbacks and fast break
•our guards while being excellent defenders had great difficulties with tall guards(UT, UCONN, Stanford, and NCSU)
The freshman will solve most all of this. Feagin at the 4 has an outside shot even a three pointer. Hall, Rivers, and Johnson give the height on D, and if Beal does not up her O, Rivers will see rising minutes at the 3
Opposing teams slack off of Beal to double on our other players...Beal has no offensive game and cannot create any shots for herself. She has lost confidence in her mid and long range shots....she basically only scores at the basket now on layups. Hoping the new freshmen and Amihere take her minutes. Beal is overrated on defense as well....she gets torched by the opposing SG's if they are quality.

Opposing teams slack off of Beal to double on our other players...Beal has no offensive game and cannot create any shots for herself. She has lost confidence in her mid and long range shots....she basically only scores at the basket now on layups. Hoping the new freshmen and Amihere take her minutes. Beal is overrated on defense as well....she gets torched by the opposing SG's if they are quality.
Who torched Beal? Names please.

OOC Looks like this right now IF I am correct. Six games to add including SEC-Big 12 challenge (if that is still on)

@NCSU #8
@S Dak. #25
@Taters

Buffalo
Oregon #10
UCONN #1
IF IT IS ROUND ROBIN
Buffalo
Oregon
Oklahoma

Home
UCONN#1
Maryland #5

The MBB have already made their non-conference schedule official. The WBB are still hammering theirs out - still possibilities for Duke and Stanford, which may explain the delays. Dawn has in the past held off on releasing the non-conf. until she got 1 or 2 choice opponents added, and looks like this offseason is the same thing.

Thanks to other boards, we can also add Kansas State at CLA on December 3rd as part of the SEC/Big-12 Challenge, and North Carolina A&T at CLA on November 29th.

November 9th (TBD) - at North Carolina State (Raleigh, N.C.)
November 12th (TBD) - vs South Dakota (Sanford Pentagon, Sioux Falls, S.D.)
November 17th (TBD) - vs Clemson
November 20th (TBD) - vs Buffalo (Paradise Island, Bahamas) (Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament)
November 21st (TBD - if applicable) - vs winner between Oklahoma and Oregon (Paradise Island, Bahamas) (Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament)
November 22nd (TBD - if applicable) - vs finalist between Connecticut, Minnesota, South Florida, and Syracuse (Paradise Island, Bahamas) (Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament)
November 29th (TBD) - vs North Carolina A&T

December 3rd (TBD) - vs Kansas State (SEC/Big12 Challenge)
December 12th (3:00 pm) - vs Maryland (Columbia, S.C.) (Jimmy V Classic)
December 15th (TBD) - at Duke (Durham, N.C.)
December 21st (TBD) - vs Stanford (Columbia, S.C.) (Per @Gamekem on following page)

February (TBD) - vs Connecticut (Columbia, S.C.)

Last edited:
The MBB have already made their non-conference schedule official. The WBB are still hammering theirs out - still possibilities for Duke and Stanford, which may explain the delays. Dawn has in the past held off on releasing the non-conf. until she got 1 or 2 choice opponents added, and looks like this offseason is the same thing.

Thanks to other boards, we can also add Kansas State at CLA on December 3rd as part of the SEC/Big-12 Challenge, and North Carolina A&T at CLA on November 29th.

November 9th (TBD) - at North Carolina State (Raleigh, N.C.)
November 12th (TBD) - vs South Dakota (Sanford Pentagon, Sioux Falls, S.D.)
November 17th (TBD) - vs Clemson
November 20th (TBD) - vs Buffalo (Paradise Island, Bahamas) (Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament)
November 21st (TBD - if applicable) - vs winner between Oklahoma and Oregon (Paradise Island, Bahamas) (Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament)
November 22nd (TBD - if applicable) - vs finalist between Connecticut, Minnesota, South Florida, and Syracuse (Paradise Island, Bahamas) (Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament)
November 29th (TBD) - vs North Carolina A&T

December 3rd (TBD) - vs Kansas State (SEC/Big12 Challenge)
December 12th (3:00 pm) - vs Maryland (Columbia, S.C.) (Jimmy V Classic)

February (TBD) - vs Connecticut (Columbia, S.C.)
Thanks, you always go above and beyond!

I get A&T as DS always schedules a HBCU. They were MEAC Champions last year. They also played a truncated Schedule with no power 5 opponents. Well at least we can say we scheduled a conference champ.

K State is a disappointing matchup. They were 3-15 in conference last year. Would have loved Baylor or Iowa St. Nylssa Smith or Ashley Joens would have been worth the price of admission.

Last edited:
Reactions: Conway Gamecock
Good, no excuse not to go undefeated and win a N/C in 2021 and 2022!!!!
Three good reasons: UConn, NCSt and Stanford. The first two we play . We will probably meet one of those two and Stanford deep in March

So apparently Ashlyn Watkins announced her top 4 yesterday

Since Cooper, Watkins and Baker have all released final schools since Dawn birdie announcement, I'm really curious who the commitment was from. Part of me believes it could be Emma Risch with an early verbal commitment.

So apparently Ashlyn Watkins announced her top 4 yesterday

Since Cooper, Watkins and Baker have all released final schools since Dawn birdie announcement, I'm really curious who the commitment was from. Part of me believes it could be Emma Risch with an early verbal commitment.
I’m thinking Risch also. She had just visited

I’m thinking Risch also. She had just visited
Yeah I checked her Twitter and saw that she had a lot of visits to different schools with USC being the final one posted. Besides thanking a few other schools on the same day for their offers she's been pretty quiet since.

Nope. A reasonable minded Gamecock who evaluates while not drinking garnet koolaid. We have the potential to be a great team with all our horses back. So does UConn. So does Stanford.

More recruiting services rank UConn 2021 class number one than us. So, we BOTH have great incoming classes. Stanford's incoming class is smaller but excellent too.

I love our team, but it's a three-team race and another team will be in the running too. Probably NC State. They have a lot coming back and a heckofa transfer class coming in. Never discount Maryland. Baylor is probably not a big consideration.

It's all on paper. We'll see what happens when it gets on WOOD.
I am also a gamecock fan that follows women's basketball away from only covering our school. South Carolina's class is ranked #1 by ESPN hoopsgurlz which recently took three reputable services and combined their evaluators to take over the individual and team rankings. This is the reason, though you can go across many services and see some ranking Uconn #1, generally the one that is most involved ranks South Carolina #1. Also this ranking was before the addition of Cardoso, who was the #1 transfer of this year.. Though Uconn has everyone back and will be formidable, their addition of the transfer from Ohio St. was not viewed by many as anywhere near as impactful as Cardoso. Also, Stanford, though they will be talented lost 2 starters, one of which, the point guard really helped their other stars to be great last year. They will all be formidable competition, but looking at how some of South Carolina's recruits have performed this summer versus Uconn's incoming freshman. I would say South Carolina is a talented as the come for any team this summer.

I am also a gamecock fan that follows women's basketball away from only covering our school. South Carolina's class is ranked #1 by ESPN hoopsgurlz which recently took three reputable services and combined their evaluators to take over the individual and team rankings. This is the reason, though you can go across many services and see some ranking Uconn #1, generally the one that is most involved ranks South Carolina #1. Also this ranking was before the addition of Cardoso, who was the #1 transfer of this year.. Though Uconn has everyone back and will be formidable, their addition of the transfer from Ohio St. was not viewed by many as anywhere near as impactful as Cardoso. Also, Stanford, though they will be talented lost 2 starters, one of which, the point guard really helped their other stars to be great last year. They will all be formidable competition, but looking at how some of South Carolina's recruits have performed this summer versus Uconn's incoming freshman. I would say South Carolina is a talented as the come for any team this summer.
Juhazs was first team Big10 averaged 15 pts and 11 rebs. She did not get the ink of Cardoso and is only 6’5”.
She may be a bigger pickup for UConn than Cardoso is for us for this season. Ododa Nelson is not Boston. Juhazs May be better than Ododa and with her addition the have the size and depth they needed to stay with us down low.

Reactions: RoosterBooster1
Yeah I checked her Twitter and saw that she had a lot of visits to different schools with USC being the final one posted. Besides thanking a few other schools on the same day for their offers she's been pretty quiet since.
If I was a HS student who had talent and colleges wanted me, I’d take all the free trips the NCAA allows.

Reactions: Cockygirl1976
I would agree with your last sentence. Let's leave it there as Gamecock fans.

Stanford only lost one starter Kianna Williams.

Juhazs was first team Big10 averaged 15 pts and 11 rebs. She did not get the ink of Cardoso and is only 6’5”.
She may be a bigger pickup for UConn than Cardoso is for us for this season. Ododa Nelson is not Boston. Juhazs May be better than Ododa and with her addition the have the size and depth they needed to stay with us down low.

It can also be added that Edwards for CT - while showing a more physical post presence against opposing posts than 6-5 Nelson-Ododa - is a bit of a "tweener" at 6-3 and would be overpowered a bit against the bigger more physical 6-4+ legit center-type posts. Nelson-Ododa is a long, slender forward, and she plays that way defensively in the paint.

With Juhazs, Auriemma has found another Natali Butler type, a true center-type post that transfers in from another program. In Butler's case, she was a 6-5 center from Georgetown who averaged 14 ppg and 13 rpg as a full-time starter her freshman season there. She transferred to CT after a coaching change at Georgetown and sat out a year per NCAA rules, then played 2 seasons for the Huskies coming mostly off the bench, averaging around 5 ppg and 5 rpg for them. She was a bit slow for Auriemma's fast-paced motion offense.

For her senior year, she transferred OUT of CT to George Mason and averaged 19 ppg and 16.6 rpg as a graduate transfer, starting all 34 games.

Juhazs may not be the same situation as Butler was. Butler was a young player when she came to CT - Juhazs is a graduate senior herself who has had a stellar career at Ohio State. She should be more mature and experienced as Butler was.

But I expect she was brought in to headline a group of bigs for Auriemma: 6-5 Nelson-Ododa, a senior herself and by far the most veteran, has shown disappointing results. 6-3 Edwards a more F than C presence who may play more 4 than 5. 6-5 Piath Gabriel is a project moving forward, and 6-5 Amari DeBerry is a true freshman. I expect to see more of a 3-player rotation of Nelson-Ododa, Edwards, and Juhazs in the post, with Edwards playing mostly at the 4....

Stanford only lost one starter Kianna Williams.
Yeah, but that was a big loss. She played nearly 40 minutes a game in the tournament and considering they only won both Final Four games by a point, they needed every second. Unless they add an athletic guard next season, I don't think they are the favorite.

But they will still be very good, of course.

Reactions: gamecockblack
With the #1 class coming in, everyone from last season returning, and now the addition of 5* 6'7 Cardoso, It's safe to say will be Staley's best and deepest team ever and could rival the Pat Summit teams. I don't see how anyone can beat us
i could care less. WBB is not a sport.

Reactions: eds11
Yeah, but that was a big loss. She played nearly 40 minutes a game in the tournament and considering they only won both Final Four games by a point, they needed every second. Unless they add an athletic guard next season, I don't think they are the favorite.

But they will still be very good, of course.
She was a big loss in that she was their leading scorer and played plenty of minutes but Stanford is loaded with talent. They bring back basically everybody else plus a pretty solid freshman class. They most importantly bring back Haley Jones, who absolutely unstoppable against us for most of the game, Brink, Lexie Hull and Precthel who all gave us fits and is probably the only team that has the height and depth to compete with us without having to be super reliant on guard play. As it stands now, Stanford is definitely one of the favorites to defend their title.

Reactions: DarkCock
She was a big loss in that she was their leading scorer and played plenty of minutes but Stanford is loaded with talent. They bring back basically everybody else plus a pretty solid freshman class. They most importantly bring back Haley Jones, who absolutely unstoppable against us for most of the game, Brink, Lexie Hull and Precthel who all gave us fits and is probably the only team that has the height and depth to compete with us without having to be super reliant on guard play. As it stands now, Stanford is definitely one of the favorites to defend their title.
The thing to remember about Haley is that she is not a great ball handler, thus a lot of what she did last year and this summer on the Pan American team depends on the play of her point guard. if you go back and look at games, she at times was a mismatch once getting the ball from her point guard with a play that was already into action She will be great but Kianna Williams help that machine go last year and they still only beat us and Arizona by one point each. This is the reason almost all of the basketball pundits that cover the sport for a living see a dip in Stanford's trajectory this year. The big girls from Stanford are pretty good, but in the Carolina game, they really benefitted from Boston and Amihere getting into foul trouble causing us to have to play small for large portions of that game. With our new length and depth in the post, that will not occur this year imo.

The thing to remember about Haley is that she is not a great ball handler, thus a lot of what she did last year and this summer on the Pan American team depends on the play of her point guard. if you go back and look at games, she at times was a mismatch once getting the ball from her point guard with a play that was already into action She will be great but Kianna Williams help that machine go last year and they still only beat us and Arizona by one point each. This is the reason almost all of the basketball pundits that cover the sport for a living see a dip in Stanford's trajectory this year. The big girls from Stanford are pretty good, but in the Carolina game, they really benefitted from Boston and Amihere getting into foul trouble causing us to have to play small for large portions of that game. With our new length and depth in the post, that will not occur this year imo.
Everything I have seen have had Stanford in the running with us and UConn as one the favorites and that was with the assumption that Anna Wilson wasn't coming back for another year. If they have a half decent point guard then they have enough weapons to be as effective as last year.
I do agree that the addition of Cardoso in particular really changed our dynamic but Stanford still has the bodies and the range to compete with us and anyone in the country. I still like our chances personally but I think downplaying Stanford would be a serious mistake.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT