ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2022 WBB Team

I like Fulwiley off the ball, like Cooke.

I do too, but I have a feeling it’s a case of Fulwiley OR Arnold not Fulwiley AND Arnold.

Fulwiley is effing incredible but DS has been recruiting both very hard for 3 years. They are both head and shoulders above the other PGs in the class and have very similar skill sets.

The only time DS has doubled up at the position is when she had Araion Bradshaw in 16 and then very late, like June or July added Ty Harris. Bradshaw left after a year and has had a very good career at Dayton. She is coming back for a sixth year, good for her.

If we signed both, it would be 3 PGs with Hollywood. One too many if you ask me

Reactions: Gamekem
It appears Wes Moore at NCSU feels they are ready to stay in the big time. They have scheduled us and have now added UConn

And while we are at it...... this just announced

UConn has already scheduled
Gamecocks, Oregon, Louisville, ND and Tenn. in OOC to atone for their pathetic conference schedule.

Last edited:
I do too, but I have a feeling it’s a case of Fulwiley OR Arnold not Fulwiley AND Arnold.

Fulwiley is effing incredible but DS has been recruiting both very hard for 3 years. They are both head and shoulders above the other PGs in the class and have very similar skill sets.

The only time DS has doubled up at the position is when she had Araion Bradshaw in 16 and then very late, like June or July added Ty Harris. Bradshaw left after a year and has had a very good career at Dayton. She is coming back for a sixth year, good for her.

If we signed both, it would be 3 PGs with Hollywood. One too many if you ask
KK did get chosen over Fuluway for the USA U16 team so either would be a huge get. I think this birdie is 22 commit though.

And while we are at it...... this just announced

UConn has already scheduled
Gamecocks, Oregon, Louisville, ND and Tenn. in OOC to atone for their pathetic conference schedule.

Your assessment is on target. Their conference is so pathetic they are doing what Florida State did in football back in the 1980s and Notre Dame has also done through the years - teams that were without conferences, which UConn basically is. They had to load up the schedule.

They may have been "used to winning it" but it hasn't happened in 5 years. Since then we've seen 5 different teams win it all. Speaks to how other teams have caught up.
they are still "in it" every year.

2013- (9)UConn, Louisville, Notre Dame, California
2014- (8)UConn, Notre Dame, Stanford, Maryland
2015- )UConn, Notre Dame, Maryland, South Carolina
2016-(14)UConn, Syracuse, Oregon St., Washington

2017- (6)South Carolina, Mississippi St., UConn, Stanford
2018- (4)Notre Dame, Mississippi St., UConn, Louisville
2019- (6)Baylor, Notre Dame, Oregon, UConn
2020- Cancelled
2021 - (1) Stanford, Arizona, UConn, South Carolina

one would play off guard, in my view Fulwiley, as she shoots 40% from three and is more a scorer. Arnold is comparatively poor three point shooter. the other would back up Raven and get minutes at two.

UConn is just as deep, just as good, just as highly rated in recruits, and may well have the two beat guards in country on the same roster, we will see.

basketball is about your top 8, your top 5, your top 3, and sometimes your top 1. Being 14 deep doesn't matter much for championships. But both teams can play that many if they like.

Reactions: winloseortie
So 5 gamecock WBB players in Tokyo Olympics!!!

On the U16 national team tryouts

Invited and already offered by DS
Riley Stack
Milaysia Fulwiley
Joyce Edwards
KK Arnold (made the team)

Also invited and have visited us. Unsure of offers
Zoe Brooks
Mary Ashley Groot

Also offered
Emma Risch

All of these are 23 or 24 recruits, any other offers or visits?

Last edited:
So 5 gamecock WBB players in Tokyo Olympics!!!

On the U16 national team tryouts

Invited and already offered by DS
Riley Stack
Milaysia Fulwiley
Joyce Edwards
KK Arnold (made the team)

Also invited and have visited us. Unsure of offers
Zoe Brooks
Mary Ashley Groot

Also offered
Emma Risch

All of these are 23 or 24 recruits, any other offers or visits?
No correlation between being invited and offered by DS, I'm sure. ;)

So I'm assuming based on these posts, the unconfirmed birdie is either Watkins or Risch. Unless Barker or Cooper are prolonging the process for the attention.

I'm guessing Watkins. Do you think Coach would take all 3 if they wanted to come?
I guess it really depends, this free extra year due to Covid will effect roster management. If Dawn sees a fit, she'll take all 3 imo. Assuming no one uses their bonus year we'll likely lose at least 4 players to graduation and will lose another 4 the year after so a 3 person class would be pretty good for maintenance.

I'm guessing Watkins. Do you think Coach would take all 3 if they wanted to come?
We
I guess it really depends, this free extra year due to Covid will effect roster management. If Dawn sees a fit, she'll take all 3 imo. Assuming no one uses their bonus year we'll likely lose at least 4 players to graduation and will lose another 4 the year after so a 3 person class would be pretty good for maintenance.
Actually we lose 5 this year: Henny, Saxton, Littleton, Grissett and Wesolek
And 5 the next year: Boston, Cooke, Beal, Amihere and Thompson.

So yes DS would take all three!

As to who the commit is: my thought is Watkins. Risch would be too early AND she has stated that she wants to play with her good friend Zoe Brooks. Brooks visited earlier this summer and had a great visit. I do not know if Brooks has an offer. Brooks is presently ranked #60 on Hoopgurlz

We
Actually we lose 5 this year: Henny, Saxton, Littleton, Grissett and Wesolek
And 5 the next year: Boston, Cooke, Beal, Amihere and Thompson.

So yes DS would take all three!

As to who the commit is: my thought is Watkins. Risch would be too early AND she has stated that she wants to play with her good friend Zoe Brooks. Brooks visited earlier this summer and had a great visit. I do not know if Brooks has an offer.
I purposely didn't count Grissett because she basically a bonus playe due to the rules at this point and will have to leave no matter what. But I totally blanked on Thompson being a junior

I purposely didn't count Grissett because she basically a bonus playe due to the rules at this point and will have to leave no matter what. But I totally blanked on Thompson being a junior
Coach Yo at Ole Miss is in on a lot of talent. With her connections to South Carolina, I believe she is a real threat to sign Cooper.

I know this is heresy BUT if no one steals Coach Yo from Ole Miss in the next two years.... they are the real threat not LSU

Coach Yo at Ole Miss is in on a lot of talent. With her connections to South Carolina, I believe she is a real threat to sign Cooper.

I know this is heresy BUT if no one steals Coach Yo from Ole Miss in the next two years.... they are the real threat not LSU
I can see it, Georgia and Duke is as well. There's a lot of talent in the Carolinas and the surrounding areas that I can see trying to take some recruits from our backyard. But yeah if Coach Yo has just one really successful season like a sweet 16 run or something she's going to be a real problem for everybody.

so is Joni at Georgia. I see them and OM getting in on a lot of very good talent.

Agree the silent commit is most likely Watkins. As soon as the Cardoso transfer was announced, I thought Watkins needed to go ahead and commit if she planned on coming here. Perhaps Dawn is delaying the announcement because she's trying to prevent opposing schools from negatively recruiting Barker. I'm not sure why else coach would wait unless the recruit requested she keep it quiet.

Agree the silent commit is most likely Watkins. As soon as the Cardoso transfer was announced, I thought Watkins needed to go ahead and commit if she planned on coming here. Perhaps Dawn is delaying the announcement because she's trying to prevent opposing schools from negatively recruiting Barker. I'm not sure why else coach would wait unless the recruit requested she keep it quiet.
I think Dawn handles these announcements like Beamer. As soon as the recruit commits, she tweets the "birdie". Recruits know spots are tight and might want to secure one. Some kids announce on a special day like Cardoso on her birthday. If the recruit has no preference, maybe a date is suggested to get the most bang for the buck. Since Cooper and Barker announced their finalists so close together, maybe they're going to the same school? They had some of the same ones in their finalists: SC, Georgia, Duke and OM. It would be crazy if we got all 3.

Barker is ranked #2 in the class but to me she the best player. I think Betts is higher because of heIshtar and position. Barker is a positionless player she can play 2-4 and 5 in a desperation or special needs situation. Watkins does not have the outside game and there appears to be varying reports about her true height.

Barker is ranked #2 in the class but to me she the best player. I think Betts is higher because of heIshtar and position. Barker is a positionless player she can play 2-4 and 5 in a desperation or special needs situation. Watkins does not have the outside game and there appears to be varying reports about her true height.
Regardless of her true height, she has been dunking - IN GAMES - for a number of years. Betts just started dunking - in practice - during the past half year. So Betts might have 5 or even 6 inches height advantage, but Watkins can out jump her.

Watkins can rebound and block shots. She's also pretty quick defensively and can make steals. However, her offensive game is not polished.

Many players like to make a event out of their announcements. Perhaps like last year she might know some of the other players considering coming here and want to coordinate their announcements together.

Not too many if we run, run, run. We almost have 3 squads who could rotate and run the other teams off the floor.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if we are recruiting Ta’Niya Latson? Top 20 five star recruit for ‘22. She was a teammate of Raven.
This guy does a great job keeping up with recruiting. According to him, our 2022 targets are Cooper, Watkins and Barker.

This guy does a great job keeping up with recruiting. According to him, our 2022 targets are Cooper, Watkins and Barker.

Thanks! I follow him. I just had not heard any buzz about her with us. Thought it was curious,
Since we obviously had an in there.

Does anyone know if we are recruiting Ta’Niya Latson? Top 20 five star recruit for ‘22. She was a teammate of Raven.
She already has a top 8 that doesn't include us. I think she'll be a great shooting guard for somebody. She's a little short though, at 5'8 and I feel that might have played a part in our interest.

Am I reading this right? We actually could play UCONN twice this season?
E7Z9DgGVgAMK0Ar

Reactions: USC GRAD 84
Am I reading this right? We actually could play UCONN twice this season?
E7Z9DgGVgAMK0Ar
That’s what it looks like. BUT I was under the impression that UCONN had a contractual agreement that they would not play Us or Oregon because they are playing both in regular season.

I thought it was supposed to two 4 team round robins

Reactions: DarkCock
I think the reason that it has two champion lines is that their will be two winners (one for each bracket) but an overall champion will be determined by winning point margin like they did when we won the tournament over Baylor two years ago. But this is a total guess on my part.

I think the reason that it has two champion lines is that their will be two winners (one for each bracket) but an overall champion will be determined by winning point margin like they did when we won the tournament over Baylor two years ago. But this is a total guess on my part.
Looking at this again, it does look like we will have a chance to meet UCONN. I'm not seeing the the 2 champion lines? Looks like the match-up of game 9 will be between the 2 undefeated teams. The winner of game 9 will be the champion and the loser will be the 2nd place. The other side of the bracket is the losers bracket and will determine the 5th, 6th etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Cockygirl1976
There is only one championship line. The other line is the first day losers bracket . The highest you can finish is 5th place if you lose on the first day.

Here is the link from ESPN which indicates it is a tourney not a round robin. If you look at the matchups it appears as if it is seeded by preseason national rankings with us as the #2 seed. Oregon is the 3# seed and they are ranked top 10 preseason. USF is ranked outside the top 25. Big opportunity for us to beat two top 10 teams that early in the season. Do that and we will be ranked #1.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT