ADVERTISEMENT

2024 US Open

Happy Bryson won it instead of Rory.

I'm also glad that the US Open will likely add in LIV exemptions as they have for other tours.

I was pulling for Rory but only because I've always been a fan of his and his approach to the game and I've valued his loyalty to the PGA tour and all his work with the tour helping younger golfers.

I don't care anything about LIV and certainly don't want the Saudi dictatorship involved in the game anymore than they already are.

But I also had no issue with Bryson winning it either. He played better Sunday.

Happy Bryson won it instead of Rory.

I'm also glad that the US Open will likely add in LIV exemptions as they have for other tours.
Bryson's got a good YouTube channel. The guy eats, breathes, sleeps golf. Guy has crazy talent but seems like a humble guy that likes to help novices improve their game. He's had an impressive year so far-sixth at Masters, second at PGA, won US Open.

I like Bryson but can’t stand the LIV Tour. Those guys sold out and crapped on all the PGA guys before them, guys like Palmer that put the PGA Tour on the map.
If someone comes in and offers me 300 million to work less I’m leaving to. Can’t blame them honestly. I think the liv vs pga thing is way over blown. No one fusses about the Asian tour or any of the others.

Yeah, the problem is they got their money but now want to combine the tours! It’s a CF and the pga is caving! A lot of pga players are not going to be happy they could have gotten a big paycheck and had their cake too!

Yeah, the problem is they got their money but now want to combine the tours! It’s a CF and the pga is caving! A lot of pga players are not going to be happy they could have gotten a big paycheck and had their cake too!
They do not want to combine the tours. LIV just wants to co-exist as a complementary tour. They are more than willing to work with the PGAT on a schedule that would benefit both.

They do not want to combine the tours. LIV just wants to co-exist as a complementary tour. They are more than willing to work with the PGAT on a schedule that would benefit both.
Oh, that’s not how I understood it! They want to be able to play pga events without a pga tour
Card, that sounds odd! I’ve heard how the pga is trying to incorporate the team side of it into their events, sure sounds like they wanting to combine the tours too me! LIV want’s to weasel there way into getting owgr points is the only reason that I see them wanting to play tour events, there’s the cake!

Oh, that’s not how I understood it! They want to be able to play pga events without a pga tour
Card, that sounds odd! I’ve heard how the pga is trying to incorporate the team side of it into their events, sure sounds like they wanting to combine the tours too me! LIV want’s to weasel there way into getting owgr points is the only reason that I see them wanting to play tour events, there’s the cake!
Well, the way you understood it is not how it actually is.

In fact, here is an article about co-existing and being a complimentary tour.

I like Bryson but can’t stand the LIV Tour. Those guys sold out and crapped on all the PGA guys before them, guys like Palmer that put the PGA Tour on the map.
I can see it both ways but it does make you respect the big name golfers that turned down hundreds of millions to stay-Scheffler, McIlroy, Morikawa to name a few. They aren't exactly hurting but still didn't sell out either. You probably cant blame guys like DJ or even Mickelson (who in his 50s seems to be desperately trying to stay relevant these days) for taking the money. DJ did win the Masters a few years ago but turns 40 this month and wants to be at home with family more playing less tournaments on the LIV. He wasn't going to win $150M (money LIV paid him to join) in PGA winnings at his age. But you can also argue that they weren't hurting for money to begin with. I guess in the end it was a personal decision.

Reactions: cockofdawn
If someone comes in and offers me 300 million to work less I’m leaving to. Can’t blame them honestly. I think the liv vs pga thing is way over blown. No one fusses about the Asian tour or any of the others.

I know what you are saying but I think it would depend on who wanted to offer me 300 million. No, I personally wouldn't take a lot of money regardless of who it came from. I mean, I've turned down more money from a few employers in my life because I didn't share their approach to business. But that's just me.

Everyone has to answer that for themselves and some people don't care where the money comes from- and other people do. Everyone's values are different.

That's a bit different. The Asian Tour is not in direct competition with the PGA and isn't trying to be. They are much more partners.

I would have respected LIV more (i really wouldn't respect a dictatorship run organization) if they were just separate and created their own events and created their own "Majors" and became a separate deal entirely.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
I can see it both ways but it does make you respect the big name golfers that turned down hundreds of millions to stay-Scheffler, McIlroy, Morikawa to name a few. They aren't exactly hurting but still didn't sell out either. You probably cant blame guys like DJ or even Mickelson (who in his 50s seems to be desperately trying to stay relevant these days) for taking the money. DJ did win the Masters a few years ago but turns 40 this month and wants to be at home with family more playing less tournaments on the LIV. He wasn't going to win $150M (money LIV paid him to join) in PGA winnings at his age. But you can also argue that they weren't hurting for money to begin with. I guess in the end it was a personal decision.
It is just a Fact, Some play for ONLY THE MONEY, and some play for the money and Love of the game and all it represents. The Saudis have unlimited funds to just give ungodly amounts of monies to these guys, unfortunately you are gonna see the PGA tour giving less and less to Charities, they will have to pay more to keep up with the endless funds of the Saudis... So LIV is hurting Charities more than the PGA tour IMO.. but hey, they really dont care, hell they Flew planes into those towers...

Reactions: sclawman77
It is just a Fact, Some play for ONLY THE MONEY, and some play for the money and Love of the game and all it represents. The Saudis have unlimited funds to just give ungodly amounts of monies to these guys, unfortunately you are gonna see the PGA tour giving less and less to Charities, they will have to pay more to keep up with the endless funds of the Saudis... So LIV is hurting Charities more than the PGA tour IMO.. but hey, they really dont care, hell they Flew planes into those towers...

I don't think most causal sports fans understand how much the PGA invests in local golf, youth golf programs. Your local PGA golf pro is someone you can go to help your game, or work with your child.

in my previous job, I got to visit a number of golf clubs and would sometimes get the chance to talk to the local PGA pro. It was interesting talking to them.

LIV isn't going to do that. Oh, they'll do a little of it to make it look good. But they aren't interested in doing the local, small town, work to grow the game.

The Saudis have enough money to absolutely dominate the game, and really every other sport. It's an entirely different world.

Reportedly, one of the Saudi LIV folks wanted a position at Augusta. Augusta nixed that. Thankfully, they'd shut down the Masters totally before they made a deal with someone like that.

In fact, here is an article about co-existing and being a complimentary tour.

I’m cool with it exactly the way it is, they play their tour and the other tours play theirs, no biggie! I’m just not understanding why the pga needs to deal with the PIF! The damage is already done as far as the popularity the professional game once had!

The key word there that I was referencing is merger!

Last edited:
Reactions: FORKCOCK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT