ADVERTISEMENT

250lb. TE to return punts....

Rod Dangerfield

Jan 12, 2010
uDNqsKs.gif

Reactions: jrs93
Remember when Ryan Brewer returned punts for Lou? We were so desperate for someone that could just catch the ball. Didn't matter that he was never going to return one for a td. He may have had a two yard return average.

Reactions: viennacocks
Remember when Ryan Brewer returned punts for Lou? We were so desperate for someone that could just catch the ball. Didn't matter that he was never going to return one for a td. He may have had a two yard return average.
I thought about RB too when I read we were going to use HH to catch punts. I say catch punts because it's unlikely he will be returning very many. This is just one more example of how we are short on talent because spurrier decided to sit on his butt and not recruit. I guess we don't have one veteran WR or DB that can reliably catch the ball and run a few yards with it. Smh.

Reactions: king ward and kick#
I hope I'm wrong but it seems every time a first time PR receives his 1st punt in game action cross your fingers.

Reactions: brianlafe
I think it was muschamp in one of the press conferences that said he won it because it was like catching a fly ball in baseball. He is sure handed, and we can't afford to give up possession in close games like A&M. I'm not saying we would have won, but we had a chance prior to the muffed punt. We could have at least gotten another field goal try.

I think it was muschamp in one of the press conferences that said he won it because it was like catching a fly ball in baseball. He is sure handed, and we can't afford to give up possession in close games like A&M. I'm not saying we would have won, but we had a chance prior to the muffed punt. We could have at least gotten another field goal try.

We've lost countless games over the years in part due to fumbling punts. It happens somewhere in college football every week. We've had one guy who was good at running them back since integration. We ought to just get out of the way unless it's a line drive. Catching punts is high risk and low reward. Coaches only do it because everyone else does it. Losing the ball 5% of the time isn't worth the less than ten yards of field position you're probably saving.

I like small waterbug types like Ace Sanders back there that can disappear and don't have great length, King has great length and as a result its easier foe him to make a mistake like a knee hit the ball.

Of all the coaching hires, Hutzler was the one that I thought could be a big downgrade, Robinson to Hutzler, and some signs seem to be showing itself.

I like small waterbug types like Ace Sanders back there that can disappear and don't have great length, King has great length and as a result its easier foe him to make a mistake like a knee hit the ball.

Of all the coaching hires, Hutzler was the one that I thought could be a big downgrade, Robinson to Hutzler, and some signs seem to be showing itself.

Ace Sanders was great, he was an All-American. Players without that kind of ability can only hurt you trying to return punts. Georgia Southern would have beaten Georgia last year for instance had they just not had a guy back there to fumble the punt at the end of the game. The year we won the East, Gilmore fumbled a punt on the ten to let Kentucky back into the game. It almost cost us the Vandy game this year. High risk, low rewards is always a bad bet over time.

Reactions: TigerRag1987
You can't have it in any game. Kicking game mistakes of any kind can be devastating. Dropping a punt is the kind of mistake that can cause even great teams to lose crucial games. Teams like us can't afford to muff away any chance of victory.

He'll be practicing fair catching and knowing where the 10 yd line is, not breaking one for a TD.

I assume this means that Fenton's injury will keep him off the field this week. He was limping around on the sidelines last week.

heck, put 11 men on the line and try to block it....can't fumble it if no one is back to recieve it:)

Reactions: cockyferg
Ace Sanders was great, he was an All-American. Players without that kind of ability can only hurt you trying to return punts. Georgia Southern would have beaten Georgia last year for instance had they just not had a guy back there to fumble the punt at the end of the game. The year we won the East, Gilmore fumbled a punt on the ten to let Kentucky back into the game. It almost cost us the Vandy game this year. High risk, low rewards is always a bad bet over time.
ace dropped a punt against georgia and returned it for a touchdown

My plan would be put Hurst back to snag the punt then turn a pitch it to Dowdle. Now that's smart right there I don't care who you are.

Dowdle is impressive. Id llike to see a huge fullback make a hole for him a few times in a game

A muffed punt or punt return for a huge gain/td are gargantuan momentum swingers. It's pretty apparent that we won't be returning a kickoff for a td barring a freak play.

I like the move and Hurst is a big enough boy that he can fight for some extra yards when given the chance.
What he said.

Hurst has some pretty good "get up & go" if you know what I mean. He likely won't break any punt returns to the house but he does have decent speed & strength. Its year 1 for Champ anyways so I don't get why there would be any mumblings or complaints over this move. Fenton is still injured & Deebo can't seem to stay healthy. He's just doing some patch work until we get more talented players on board.

Too early to blame the coach, remember our top 2 (Deebo and Fenton) were out of the game. King was our 3rd string. I know he has to catch it also and Fenton had already dropped one, but I think we will be ok there when all settles down.

Too early to blame the coach, remember our top 2 (Deebo and Fenton) were out of the game. King was our 3rd string. I know he has to catch it also and Fenton had already dropped one, but I think we will be ok there when all settles down.

Only he didn't have to catch it, what would have happened had he gotten out of the way? Bad coaching, even though it's what most coaches would have done. No reason to try and catch it. High risk, low reward is what bad gamblers do.

I'm sorry but we need to stop saying Deebo is our main guy until he can play two consecutive games in a row.

There's no excuse in dropping a punt. I have seriously seen a JV team go an entire season without dropping one. Its about confidence and concentration. Also no excuse in letting a catchable punt hit the ground and roll an extra 20 yards. Its really not rocket science and some teams you never see muff one.

There's no excuse in dropping a punt. I have seriously seen a JV team go an entire season without dropping one. Its about confidence and concentration. Also no excuse in letting a catchable punt hit the ground and roll an extra 20 yards. Its really not rocket science and some teams you never see muff one.
I am pretty sure I would be pissing my pants if I had to return a punt!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT