ADVERTISEMENT

A human interest note about Paul Dietzel.

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
I knew a man that finished Pharmacy School at Carolina and owned his own Pharmacy Store in Marion, NC. One of the biggest Gamecock fans you will ever meet.
Long Long story short, long after Dietzel had retired from coaching (still living but retired from coaching) Dietzel's old offensive line coach from Carolina was in my friend's drug store. My friend introduced him to me, I can't remember his name exactly was it was something like Soloski (sp) that's not it but it was something like that.

Anyway, I'm almost positive this coach said he coached for Dietzel the whole time Dietzel was at Carolina and I got the impression he was with Dietzel even before Dietzel got to Carolina.

But, to the point, this offensive line coach said he had heard Dietzel say many many times while at Carolina. "I had rather die than fail at Carolina". Now that is quite a commitment. While Dietzel didn't take us to the heights in football we had all hoped, he did succeed in many other areas such as massive improvements in facilities.

I knew a man that finished Pharmacy School at Carolina and owned his own Pharmacy Store in Marion, NC. One of the biggest Gamecock fans you will ever meet.
Long Long story short, long after Dietzel had retired from coaching (still living but retired from coaching) Dietzel's old offensive line coach from Carolina was in my friend's drug store. My friend introduced him to me, I can't remember his name exactly was it was something like Soloski (sp) that's not it but it was something like that.

Anyway, I'm almost positive this coach said he coached for Dietzel the whole time Dietzel was at Carolina and I got the impression he was with Dietzel even before Dietzel got to Carolina.

But, to the point, this offensive line coach said he had heard Dietzel say many many times while at Carolina. "I had rather die than fail at Carolina". Now that is quite a commitment. While Dietzel didn't take us to the heights in football we had all hoped, he did succeed in many other areas such as massive improvements in facilities.
Dietzel brought our facilities and whole athletic department out of the dark ages. One of our best athletic directors ever, although he made the wrong decision to leave the ACC.

But, to the point, this offensive line coach said he had heard Dietzel say many many times while at Carolina. "I had rather die than fail at Carolina". Now that is quite a commitment. While Dietzel didn'ttake us to the heights in football we had all hoped, he did succeed in many other areas such as massive improvements in facilities.
I

Dietzel brought our facilities and whole athletic department out of the dark ages. One of our best athletic directors ever, although he made the wrong decision to leave the ACC.

Was that his decision or Frank McQ's? I'm not disagreeing with you but I've heard so many stories over the years I don't know what to believe.

That would have been Coach Shalosky

That would be it! At the time I meet Coach Shalosky he was in sales. A very nice man. Coach Shalosky said he had a chance to coach Pro ball but after he and Dietzel left Carolina he said he was pretty much through with football.

Was that his decision or Frank McQ's? I'm not disagreeing with you but I've heard so many stories over the years I don't know what to believe.
Dietzel was the catalyst. Everyone else went along or was dragged along. Had Dietzel never come here, it's almost certain we never would have left. Also, the infrastructure of Gamecock athletics would look far different than it does today.

Dietzel was the catalyst. Everyone else went along or was dragged along. Had Dietzel never come here, it's almost certain we never would have left. Also, the infrastructure of Gamecock athletics would look far different than it does today.

Would the infrastructure of Gamecock athletics have been different in a good way or bad way?

It was all Dietzel. McGuire said it would ruin the basketball program. Which it ultimately did. But Dietzel was convinced that if he got out of the shadow of the ACC recruiting requirements at the time, which demanded test scores 100 points higher than other conferences, that it would help USC in football. Didn't work that way. I guess the SEC money is nice, but USC shodnhave never left the ACC

It was Dietzel’s, but I think Frank begrudgingly went along with it. Dietzel was upset because of the 800 score on the SAT’s that the ACC imposed on the conference. Ironically, it was changed a year after we left the conference. McGuire didn’t like how the basketball team was treated on the road, and how the Tobacco Road teams got preferential treatment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT